Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who earned their keep?

MissyM

Who earned their keep?

Let's face it, Elvis was generous, and he was a "Corporation".

Besides Lisa, who do you think earned what they profitted from being in his life, working for him, ect. (when he was alive and after he died) Who do you think actually earned the highest amount of money and assests overall? Did they earn it?

I guess that depends on what you mean by earn? Lisa did not really earn it, she inherited it. They guys who worked for him while he was alive-earned their keep in Elvis's eyes and were paid with salaries, trips, gifts of cars houses motorcycles etc....After he died the ones who wrote books, made videos, helped write books, screenplays, worked with tribute acts etc......they had the right to tell the story-it was their life also. That said ,
    it would seem that a time might come when they have told their story sufficiently and have said all they wanted to say-31 years later that time evidently has yet to come. So money has most assuridly been made by most involved and still is being made.
    I would not venture a guess as to who profited most-have no idea. But all have made some cash.
    I guess I could rephrase the question and ask
    "Who would Elvis feel, after all is said and done over the last 31 years, deserves to have profited the most?"

Lisa only earned her inheritance by right of being Elvis' daughter...and she did and does love him very much. Personally, I think she stays out of the financial side of Graceland not only because she's like her dad in not liking to handle it and because she's not fond of the idea that it had to be turned into a tourist attraction..despite the money it earns her. I think she always wishes there could have been another answer.

As to who earned and deserved what they got from Elvis, my first choice would be Charlie Hodge, Ed Parker for the time he was with him, and then possibly Jerry Shelling and Larry Geller in their own way......all people Elvis was able to talk to to some degree. I feel the rest weren't very honest so didn't deserve what they got nor were they interested in his emotional well-being.

Diane

Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    Lisa only earned her inheritance by right of being Elvis' daughter...and she did and does love him very much. Personally, I think she stays out of the financial side of Graceland not only because she's like her dad in not liking to handle it and because she's not fond of the idea that it had to be turned into a tourist attraction..despite the money it earns her. I think she always wishes there could have been another answer.

As to who earned and deserved what they got from Elvis, my first choice would be Charlie Hodge, Ed Parker for the time he was with him, and then possibly Jerry Shelling and Larry Geller in their own way......all people Elvis was able to talk to to some degree. I feel the rest weren't very honest so didn't deserve what they got nor were they interested in his emotional well-being.

Diane
    couldn't agree more ....there were, and still are, many people around Elvis that were there purely for the money it gave them..not for the true friendship of such a great man
    my youtube page www.youtube.com/elvispresleyuk

"...you're still lovely,
    you were lovely then,
    all that you had to endure,
    i guess nobody noticed it..."

Who earned it???? It is my personal opinion that those who were part of Elvis' circle -- whether it be the MM or Linda or Priscilla -- I think that they have earned what is due. Elvis was fun, generous, spontaneous, but he was also brutal, destructive, and promiscuous. For those who have written books about their times spent with Elvis, whether it be working for him or married to him or nursing him back to health b/c of his terribly destructive lifestyle, I say "They earned it!!!!"
    "More people today should see him not simply as a performer, but as an artist with a great soul."

John Bakke, professor emeritus
    University of Memphis

I'd say they all earned their money while they were there .
    It should have ended 8/16/77 though, IMO !
    "I have learned never to ridicule any man's opinion, however strange it may seem."

I think the Memphis Mafia was paid a very low salary. But Elvis gave them cars, houses ect, and they would sometime (i'd have to guess) have to sell things Elvis gave them to supliment their income. Everyone benefited by being Elvis' friends. Of course Lisa inherited her dads' estate. And she deserves more than anyone. Priscilla on the other hand does her part in keeping Graceland going. Even though she seemed to me to be a gold digger.

You forgot that Elvis paid a lot for their medical and forked over quite a bit of money for loans that were never paid back...so no, I feel they had more than enough from him. If they bought homes that were beyond their financial means to keep up from working for him....tough luck.

Diane

When he was alive all of them earned what they were getting (the ones that worked for him), but after he died not anyone earned anything at all in my opinion because he owned nothing to anybody, with this I mean MM, Priscilla or whatever, not even his daughter because she had a mother to take care of her.

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    I'd say they all earned their money while they were there .
    It should have ended 8/16/77 though, IMO !

I would say the same thing
    R.I.P ~ROSANNE~
    We will forever miss you at TCB
    Tell Elvis we say HI

Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    When he was alive all of them earned what they were getting (the ones that worked for him), but after he died not anyone earned anything at all in my opinion because he owned nothing to anybody, with this I mean MM, Priscilla or whatever, not even his daughter because she had a mother to take care of her.
    Correct he owed nothing to Lisa except what Elvis himself felt he owed her-or just out and out wanted to leave her as far as his money, property, etc.
    Some parents as they age make decisions when it comes to adult children-who deserves what the most, who should get what and why, who has been there for us when we have needed a hand...... so for adult kids I think some consideration should be given to who gets what etc....
    But when kids are kids-top priority with most parents is to make sure the kids are taken care of and that they get their wealth and worldly possessions.
    My wife and I will leave very little compared to this situation but all of it is going to our kids. The house will be left to all 3 with the stipulation that our oldest son (26) who was brain damaged at birth can always live here if he needs to. He in turn will have to pay some form of rent to the other 2 so they are getting something for allowing him to live there. He was in special classes in school and we worked very hard to make him as self sufficient as possible-he drives, works full time, and pays for his own car & health insurance. But he may have to stay here his whole life.
    We have talked it over with all 3 kids and they are in 100% agreement. Everything else they will inherit will be divided equally. IMO the smart thing was to get this type thing into the open where everyone is aware of what is coming. That way there should be no second guessing, or questions.

Itīs good you all in your family agree on that, there are different circumstances in every family and I think what you are going to do is fair and all your children see it that way.

In the case of Elvis I canīt see how anyone could even think they earned anything for having been close to Elvis, I havenīt heard any of them say that by the way except from Priscilla, you know that "what are we going to do now that he isnīt here, he had almost anything when died..."
    Well.... go work and get a life, he didnīt have to take care of anyone after his death if he didnīt want to and Iīm glad he burned his money the way he wanted. After all HE EARNED his money.

Backstage Pass
    Besides Lisa, who do you think earned what they profitted from being in his life, working for him, ect. (when he was alive and after he died) Who do you think actually earned the highest amount of money and assests overall? Did they earn it?
    I think Colonel Parker made the most out of his association with Elvis, and no, I don't think he earned it. Elvis was a breakout waiting to happen and any decent manager with contacts at major record companies could have managed Elvis well. And probably would have had the sense not to take a movie deal that tied Elvis to a studio without script approval just as the studio system was breaking up.

And that's without getting into the way Parker unethically lined his pockets, which led to the EPE court case against him.

In the case of Elvis I canīt see how anyone could even think they earned anything for having been close to Elvis, I havenīt heard any of them say that by the way except from Priscilla, you know that "what are we going to do now that he isnīt here, he had almost anything when died..."
    Well.... go work and get a life, he didnīt have to take care of anyone after his death if he didnīt want to and Iīm glad he burned his money the way he wanted. After all HE EARNED his money.
    The only thing I think he should have done was have enough money invested so that if he wanted to take time off (or retire) he could have done it. Otherwise, ITA. It was his money and he had a right to do with it as he wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post

I second that

Diane

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar
    One group that deserved everything they earned during Elvis' life, in my opinion, is the TCB-Band and all of the backup singers and musicians!

There were many shows during the later 70's where Elvis was not up to par, as we have discussed many times before throughout the forum! And during a lot of those sub-par shows, I would have to say that the band and singers helped carry those shows so that Elvis probably came across to the audience better than he would have otherwise.

Just my opinion...

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

Well, I like my boss and I defend him when necessary. I don't make a ton of money and he's never bought me one car or a house! Heck, he won't even pay for my gas!!! Soooo, I guess I can either stay and collect the paychecks or I can leave and go find another. Ummmmmm, sounds like the MM might have been in the same position...
    I'd be willing to bet they wouldn't trade their jobs with me for one second!!! Frankly, I think they had it pretty good. I think they thought they earned their keep!!!

Forever Best Friends

I hadn't thought of them, but I have to agree with Mike. All Elvis' musician and backup singers earned every penny they got and more. They were all fantastic and never let him down in the capacity they were hired for.

Diane

Quote Originally Posted by Jungleroom76 View Post
    One group that deserved everything they earned during Elvis' life, in my opinion, is the TCB-Band and all of the backup singers and musicians!

There were many shows during the later 70's where Elvis was not up to par, as we have discussed many times before throughout the forum! And during a lot of those sub-par shows, I would have to say that the band and singers helped carry those shows so that Elvis probably came across to the audience better than he would have otherwise.

Just my opinion...

TCB!
    Mike
    Good points Mighty Mike. I had never really thought of it that way(I think we ALL think MM), but you are right. The TCB Band was fabulous....always.

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by john carpenter View Post
    I think the Memphis Mafia was paid a very low salary. But Elvis gave them, houses ect.
    Thought Schilling was the only one who got a house from Elvis in 1974.

Funny all the other members of the MM get ridiculed for being their wanting stuff, and being leeches, but Jerry gets a house etc from Elvis and never gets a bad word said about him. Is it because hes a suck up to Priscilla, or cookie cuttered it in his book making sure not to say anything that would upset her or Lisa.....
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast