Thread: Are you lonesome tonight - laughing version

Are you lonesome tonight - laughing version

I remember seeing Elvis in concert on TV I believe it was in 69, I was only 10 but I remember it very well as I was so glued to the TV set.

But this has always bugged me as I am so sure I saw a clip of him sitting down with a guitar singing are you lonesome tonight and cracking up, just like the song that is now on many Elvis Cd's.

Am I going mad, maybe my childhood memories have got mixed up over the years but I swear I had seen him sing it and remember him in fits of laughter.

Can anyone help? Is there footage of Elvis singing are you lonesome tonight, laughing version?

Please help! Im going mad and now Im 33 and old!!
    Thanks
    Kes 139

Everybody would like to see that footage from '69 (me too), but I think there is only sound-recording from that song unfortunately. He sang it in August, in 1969, but I don't know the exact date (the day). I think that footage would be very well-known, that's for sure. Unfortunately there are very few footages from the Vegas concerts in 1969 and they are usually very bad quality. But you can never know what kind of footages will come out in the future...
    Last edited by cibetty; 06-25-2008 at 10:52 AM.

I LOVE
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    ♪ ♫♪ ♫♪ ♫♪ [̲̅̅E̲̅][̲̅̅L̲̅][̲̅̅V̲̅][̲̅̅I̲​̅][̲̅̅S̲̅] [̲̅̅P̲̅][̲̅̅R̲̅][̲̅̅E̲̅][̲̅̅S̲​̅][̲̅̅L̲̅[̲̅̅E̲̅][̲̅̅Y̲̅] ♫♪ ♫♪ ♫♪

My page on YouTube and on MyElvisWorld:
    http://www.youtube.com/cibetty, http://www.myelvisworld.com/cibetty

Backstage Pass President Presley's Avatar
    Elvis did some kind of laughing version in '77 when he forgot the lyrics
    "Here's to our wives and girlfriends...may they never meet!".
    Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by President Presley View Post
    Yes, you're right, there is a footage from 1977 where he sang the song and forgot the lyrics, I know it, but Kes thought about the laughing version from 1969 and I thought about that time too. There is a rare footage from 1970 as well, Kes, maybe you will like this one too (I don't know if you know it), I love it very much:

[YT]sF-QX8vpzig[/YT]
    Last edited by cibetty; 06-25-2008 at 11:07 AM.

I LOVE
    ♪ ♫♪ ♫♪ ♫♪ [̲̅̅E̲̅][̲̅̅L̲̅][̲̅̅V̲̅][̲̅̅I̲​̅][̲̅̅S̲̅] [̲̅̅P̲̅][̲̅̅R̲̅][̲̅̅E̲̅][̲̅̅S̲​̅][̲̅̅L̲̅[̲̅̅E̲̅][̲̅̅Y̲̅] ♫♪ ♫♪ ♫♪

My page on YouTube and on MyElvisWorld:
    http://www.youtube.com/cibetty, http://www.myelvisworld.com/cibetty

Quote Originally Posted by kes139 View Post
    I remember seeing Elvis in concert on TV I believe it was in 69, I was only 10 but I remember it very well as I was so glued to the TV set.

But this has always bugged me as I am so sure I saw a clip of him sitting down with a guitar singing are you lonesome tonight and cracking up, just like the song that is now on many Elvis Cd's.

Am I going mad, maybe my childhood memories have got mixed up over the years but I swear I had seen him sing it and remember him in fits of laughter.

Can anyone help? Is there footage of Elvis singing are you lonesome tonight, laughing version?

Please help! Im going mad and now Im 33 and old!!
    Thanks
    Kes 139

There is no footage whatsoever of Elvis singing "Are You Lonesome Tonight?" in 1969. There is, however, footage (as "cibetty" has posted from YouTube) of Elvis singing AYLT and goofing around during the 8/12/70 show.

Quote Originally Posted by President Presley View Post

That is the version of AYLT from "Elvis In Concert". He didn't forget the lyrics....he was only playing around (although the medications he had taken were affecting him).

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cibetty View Post
    Yes, you're right, there is a footage from 1977 where he sang the song and forgot the lyrics, I know it, but Kes thought about the laughing version from 1969 and I thought about that time too. There is a rare footage from 1970 as well, Kes, maybe you will like this one too (I don't know if you know it), I love it very much:

[yt]sF-QX8vpzig[/yt]
    I had forgotten about this footage, I have got the TTWII outtakes, I will have to revisit those DVD's. Thank you.

Elvis played and had FUN with lyrics his WHOLE career...It was just part of who Elvis was. I love it when he did this because his PERSONALITY just SHINED through. The LAUGHING VERSION of "Are You Lonesome Tonight".... I can listen to it over and over again. It will put anyone in a good mood. Elvis's laugh was so darn contagious!!!

I will never forget you Rosanne.
    R.I.P. 4-27-59~7-22-09

TCB Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by cibetty View Post

[yt]sF-QX8vpzig[/yt]

Brilliant!

Thank you

Still..........

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    The best version of the song is from April 9th 1972 Evening show in Hampton Roads, Virginia.

The version from EIC are sad to watch, especially the version from Omaha on June 19th 1977. At the end of the song Elvis just smiling really big, and it looks like he just forgot what he was doing.
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

Cadillac King
    I love the laughing version of "Are You Lonesome Tonight" !!! They recently played it
    on one of the easy listening radio stations....I was smiling the whole way through it, it's fantastic, it made my day !

Quote Originally Posted by I'LLRememberYou View Post
    I love the laughing version of "Are You Lonesome Tonight" !!! They recently played it
    on one of the easy listening radio stations....I was smiling the whole way through it, it's fantastic, it made my day !
    Don't you just love driving down the road and then comes on an Elvis tune. I sure wish the DJ's these day's would play more of his music, it's sad that most of the general public i have no idea how much wonderful work Elvis did in his lifetime. Usually if you hear something its Burning Love Or Suspicous Minds...how bout something like Any Day Now, Loving Arms, It's Only Love, etc.
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

Thank you guys!
    Much Appreciated.

If only I had taped it eh!!!
    I was only young and in Brunei at the time, they played a few american programmes after 7pm at night, as well as watching A-Team, Air-Wolf and Street Hawk I also remember seeings Girls Girls Girls, Comeback special and concert footage.

Maybe one day the visual to the audio 69 laughing version may surface!!
    Who knows!
    Meanwhile I love everying Elvis!!

The most underated songs I believe are : And the Grass wont pay no mind and do you know who i am! Oh and just a little bit of green!!
    Love them all!

Thanks Kes

Quote Originally Posted by kes139 View Post
    The most underated songs I believe are : And the Grass wont pay no mind and do you know who i am! Oh and just a little bit of green!!
    Love them all!

Thanks Kes
    Those are excellent songs indeed !!

The list could go on and on.

Cadillac King
    Well The Audio For The Laughing Version Is From August 26th 1969 And It Is Available On The Ftd All Shook Up Album. So Far No Footage As Surfaced. As With Much From This Period Many Have Speculated It Is In Private Hands. The General Consesus In The Elvis World Is That It Was Not Filmed, There Are 1969 Clips Floating On Youtube But The Date Of The Footage Is Unknown And The Audio Unoriginal. Firstly Iam Unaware Of The Jumpsuit He Wore For The Show? I Believe It Was Black Herringbone.unfortunatly This First Enagement Is Shrouded In Mystery. Many Fans Have Claimed To Have Seen Cameras On The Balcony But Nothing Has Come Of It. Has Anyone Got Any Pics, From The 26/8/69 Show? Hope This Helps. As Of Now There Is Nothing But Never Say Never, Next Year Is The 40th Anniversary!!!!!!!!!!
    1969 july 31st, will we ever see anything?? sob sob!

Like others have said, if any footage from opening night exist it most likely would have been put out there by now, or someone is very stingy.