Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Sandi Pichon story about elvis

Loving elvis

Sandi Pichon story about elvis

A HUNK OF BURNING LOVE: Woman writes about her life as an Elvis fan
    By Ann Barks
    (Times-Picayune, April 11, 2004)
    In 1956, Sandi Pichon was a bored 11-year-old girl sweating out summer living in Memphis, Tenn., when she got the idea to knock on rising star Elvis Presley's back door. Such was the beginning of her years-long friendship with one of the most famous entertainers of all time. Pichon, who now lives in the Bayou Liberty community near Slidell, is keeping her love for the King alive by writing a book, "Raised on Elvis," that details how her teen and adult years were impacted by Elvis. Pichon is president of an Internet-based fan club that is holding an event Saturday in Slidell to honor Elvis and his generous heart. ... She still marvels at the continual polish of his performances, and in her book she describes her feelings as she watched the drugs and health problems affect her music idol and friend. Her perspective on the more controversial aspects of his lifestyle at the time, she said, is tempered knowing that "he was sick and we could see it was a sickness and he was taking pills to help the pain" of bone cancer [sic]. While Pichon said she was told in 1974 that Elvis had the disease, it "only came out probably last year to the general public that he had bone cancer." ...

The last time she spent time with him was in 1976. Shortly after that, she moved from Georgia to Covington, where she had moved to be near a friend and open a shop with her in Metairie. A few months later, she went to see an Elvis concert in Baton Rouge. The change in the King was more than just physical; none of the Memphis Mafia she knew so well and who had been with him for so long were working for him anymore. It was the first time in five years that she had no inside connections, no front-row seat, no special invitation to visit before or after the show. She sat in her seat, watched him perform and knew something was wrong. "I was crying because he looked terrible," she said. She contacted several former inside people she knew but no one felt there was anything they could do. ...

Notice Sandi mentions about the bone cancer too.

I mentioned bone cancer once, but some members said it was not true..?
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/999022_359272057534723_1223625887_n.jpg

all the goons I left behind, memories still linger..

Most of the MM deny it saying that it was all a joke started by Vernon who told that to Charlie to see how far the rumor would spread as he was known not to be able to keep a secret.

I don't know why some still insist it was true. I don't know what to think about it personally because of these people not giving up on it. Charlie, Kathy and Sandi...all people that were very close to Elvis.

But, if the bone cancer was real, I can't see why it would have been kept under wraps.

Diane

Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    Most of the MM deny it saying that it was all a joke started by Vernon who told that to Charlie to see how far the rumor would spread as he was known not to be able to keep a secret.

I don't know why some still insist it was true. I don't know what to think about it personally because of these people not giving up on it. Charlie, Kathy and Sandi...all people that were very close to Elvis.

But, if the bone cancer was real, I can't see why it would have been kept under wraps.

Diane
    Rest assured that Elvis didnt have bone cancer.Sandi is a tremendous person who has some great memories.She wasnt that close to Elvis however.She was part of a group of fans that were lucky enough to gain a certain amount of access not usually given.The cancer story may have been told to her by Charlie.Those fans interacted with members of the entourage regulary back then.

Yes that makes sense Jak...for Sandi but it still doesn't explain why Charlie and Kathy never let it go. They must have really wanted to believe it.

Diane

Loving elvis
    Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    Yes that makes sense Jak...for Sandi but it still doesn't explain why Charlie and Kathy never let it go. They must have really wanted to believe it.

Diane
    Yes diane l still wonder how much of elvis health probelms we don't know about?? makes you wonder why someone make up something serious like that for a joke.

Seems like a cruel joke to me, whereas I don't regard Elvis' father a cruel person.

It would explain some things. I still don't understand why a lively guy like Elvis would physically deteriorate like that. I'm sure he didn't just take pills to have a laugh or party.
    Last edited by EnigmaticSun; 06-17-2008 at 02:24 PM. Reason: found a better word
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/999022_359272057534723_1223625887_n.jpg

all the goons I left behind, memories still linger..

Quote Originally Posted by presley31 View Post
    Yes diane l still wonder how much of elvis health probelms we don't know about?? makes you wonder why someone make up something serious like that for a joke.
    I just have a hard time thinking that Vernon started the rumor as a joke.....

Loving elvis
    Quote Originally Posted by utmom2008 View Post
    I just have a hard time thinking that Vernon started the rumor as a joke.....
    I would hope that vernon wouldn't do that, but theres only 3 people saying elvis had bone cancer and the others say he didn't so really what do you believe?

Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaticSun View Post
    Seems like a cruel joke to me, whereas I don't regard Elvis' father a cruel person.

It would explain some things. I still don't understand why a lively guy like Elvis would physically deteriorate like that. I'm sure he didn't just take pills to have a laugh or party.
    I think it was a combination of massive quanties of drugs (sorry guys, but that's the truth!) and a fast, hard lifestyle that just didn't begin in the 1970's. He was living fast in the 50's and 60's. It just wasn't was publicized as much. And from what is known now, he didn't start taking drugs in the 70's, but was taking drugs on a daily basis in the 60's. I believe that was very very hard on his body and exasperated his real physical problems in the end.
    "More people today should see him not simply as a performer, but as an artist with a great soul."

John Bakke, professor emeritus
    University of Memphis

Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaticSun View Post
    I mentioned bone cancer once, but some members said it was not true..?
    A HUNK OF BURNING LOVE: Woman writes about her life as an Elvis fan
    By Ann Barks
    (Times-Picayune, April 11, 2004)
    In 1956, Sandi Pichon was a bored 11-year-old girl sweating out summer living in Memphis, Tenn., when she got the idea to knock on rising star Elvis Presley's back door. Such was the beginning of her years-long friendship with one of the most famous entertainers of all time. Pichon, who now lives in the Bayou Liberty community near Slidell, is keeping her love for the King alive by writing a book, "Raised on Elvis," that details how her teen and adult years were impacted by Elvis. Pichon is president of an Internet-based fan club that is holding an event Saturday in Slidell to honor Elvis and his generous heart. ... She still marvels at the continual polish of his performances, and in her book she describes her feelings as she watched the drugs and health problems affect her music idol and friend. Her perspective on the more controversial aspects of his lifestyle at the time, she said, is tempered knowing that "he was sick and we could see it was a sickness and he was taking pills to help the pain" of bone cancer [sic]. While Pichon said she was told in 1974 that Elvis had the disease, it "only came out probably last year to the general public that he had bone cancer." ...

The last time she spent time with him was in 1976. Shortly after that, she moved from Georgia to Covington, where she had moved to be near a friend and open a shop with her in Metairie. A few months later, she went to see an Elvis concert in Baton Rouge. The change in the King was more than just physical; none of the Memphis Mafia she knew so well and who had been with him for so long were working for him anymore. It was the first time in five years that she had no inside connections, no front-row seat, no special invitation to visit before or after the show. She sat in her seat, watched him perform and knew something was wrong. "I was crying because he looked terrible," she said. She contacted several former inside people she knew but no one felt there was anything they could do. ...

Notice Sandi mentions about the bone cancer too.

There was no trace whatsoever of cancer found at the autopsy.....

Loving elvis
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Trout View Post
    There was no trace whatsoever of cancer found at the autopsy.....
    that fine Tony but why would 3 people keep going on about it??

Quote Originally Posted by ehollier View Post
    I think it was a combination of massive quanties of drugs (sorry guys, but that's the truth!) and a fast, hard lifestyle that just didn't begin in the 1970's. He was living fast in the 50's and 60's. It just wasn't was publicized as much. And from what is known now, he didn't start taking drugs in the 70's, but was taking drugs on a daily basis in the 60's. I believe that was very very hard on his body and exasperated his real physical problems in the end.
    You are dead on with these comments.Unfortunate but true.

They want to believe it.It makes things easier for them.

Your guess is as good as mine, Jen. I wish I knew the answer to that....

I've said this before and I'll say it again...if Elvis had bone cancer as early as 1970 (as Kathy and Charlie and Geller claim) he would have been dead long before 8/16/77 because the treatments for that type of cancer weren't advanced enough to have saved him. Even when my grandfather died in 1991 of bone cancer, he only lived four years from the time of his diagnosis until he died....and it was so painful to watch him slowly slip away...he was literally just the shell of the man he used to be....and I still miss him terribly....

Also, someone with bone cancer does not gain weight like Elvis did in his final years....
    Last edited by Tony Trout; 06-17-2008 at 05:03 PM.

Loving elvis
    Thanks Tony and Jak, such a shame that elvis life is all wrapped up with stories and gossip.

Another point to remember.If he did have cancer obviously it would have been made public.After his death there would be no reason for secrecy.It might have even explained some of his drug use.

Quote Originally Posted by ehollier View Post
    And...let's not forget the obvious. GENETICS. Between his lifestyle and his genes he didn't stand a chance. Vernon and Gladys were hardly poster children for longevity.
    Quote Originally Posted by jak View Post
    Another point to remember.If he did have cancer obviously it would have been made public.After his death there would be no reason for secrecy.It might have even explained some of his drug use.

Exactly Jak. That would have been the answer to their prayers.

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jak View Post
    You are dead on with these comments.Unfortunate but true.
    I agree. If you have read, Elvis was often getting really bad nose bleeds in the early 1960's during the movie days because they were going so hard on speed etc. People don't realize alot of the time that yes even then the drugs were a big factor in his life.

On the other hand, Sandi's stories are alot like a breathe of fresh air, always enhjoy reading them...
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

Quote Originally Posted by utmom2008 View Post
    And...let's not forget the obvious. GENETICS. Between his lifestyle and his genes he didn't stand a chance. Vernon and Gladys were hardly poster children for longevity.
    [/b]

Exactly Jak. That would have been the answer to their prayers.
    Youre right.That's a tough thing to say but it's true.If the estate had anything that could somewhat justify his drug habit they would have gotten it out there.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast