Thread: from the archives

Cadillac King

from the archives

january 14, 1975
    Elvis Presley will stage a benefit performance for Mississippi tornado victims in May at Jackson, Miss., Gov. Bill Walker said last night. A tornado slashed a two-mile swath through the McComb area Friday killing 7 persons and injuring more than 100. walker was contacted yesterday by Col. Tom Parker, Presley's manager, who offered to put on the show. It will be held at Mississippi Memorial Coliseum. Walker said all money received from the benefit will go into a trust fund to assist the victims. ``Even Elvis will purchase his own ticket.``in a telegram, Presley told Parker, ``I want to help all I can . I am most fortunate and grateful to be fortunate enough to do this.`` Presley's last benefit show in Mississippi was in 1957 at Tupelo to raise funds for an Elvis Presley Park. Presley was born in Tupelo.

September 4, 1975
    Entertainer Elvis Presley talked with former Preseident Richard Nixon by telephone at Baptist Hospital during the Labor Day weekend, a hospital official said yesterday. Presley, who has beem hospitalized since August 21 because of ``fatigue``, received a call from Nixon about 11;30 a.m. Saturday, said Maurice Elliot, a hospital vice-president. ``I understand that Mr. Presley had called him (Nixon) when he was in the hospital and he was just returning the courtesy.``. Elliot said Presley's main problem ``continues to be difficulty with an enlarged colon.`` but that he has ``responded very well to treatment and medication and surgery definitely is not required.``

gave a nice day, Bogarcon

Quote Originally Posted by bogarcon View Post

. Elliot said Presley's main problem ``continues to be difficulty with an enlarged colon.`` but that he has ``responded very well to treatment and medication and surgery definitely is not required.``[/B]

Thank you, Bogarcon.For some reason , IMO, the colon surgery should have been done !
    "I have learned never to ridicule any man's opinion, however strange it may seem."

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    Thank you, Bogarcon.For some reason , IMO, the colon surgery should have been done !
    I agree. We spend so much time discussing the drug problems that sometimes I think we overlook the fact that there were some legitimate physical problems as well.

Cadillac King
    You`re right. I will check in the fan club archives from the 70`s I might have more news like this...
    have a nice day, Bogarcon

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    It's said that elvis would never go into surgery like this was because he was affraid he wouldn't ever wakup. Which is strage because he did the eye surgery or facelift whatever it was in June 1975 but it definitley should have been done..the colon was enlarged wasn't it alot bigger than it should have, which caused him to look much bigger in the stomach than he really was?

Quote Originally Posted by bogarcon View Post
    january 14, 1975
    Elvis Presley will stage a benefit performance for Mississippi tornado victims in May at Jackson, Miss., Gov. Bill Walker said last night. A tornado slashed a two-mile swath through the McComb area Friday killing 7 persons and injuring more than 100. walker was contacted yesterday by Col. Tom Parker, Presley's manager, who offered to put on the show. It will be held at Mississippi Memorial Coliseum. Walker said all money received from the benefit will go into a trust fund to assist the victims. ``Even Elvis will purchase his own ticket.``in a telegram, Presley told Parker, ``I want to help all I can . I am most fortunate and grateful to be fortunate enough to do this.`` Presley's last benefit show in Mississippi was in 1957 at Tupelo to raise funds for an Elvis Presley Park. Presley was born in Tupelo.

September 4, 1975
    Entertainer Elvis Presley talked with former Preseident Richard Nixon by telephone at Baptist Hospital during the Labor Day weekend, a hospital official said yesterday. Presley, who has beem hospitalized since August 21 because of ``fatigue``, received a call from Nixon about 11;30 a.m. Saturday, said Maurice Elliot, a hospital vice-president. ``I understand that Mr. Presley had called him (Nixon) when he was in the hospital and he was just returning the courtesy.``. Elliot said Presley's main problem ``continues to be difficulty with an enlarged colon.`` but that he has ``responded very well to treatment and medication and surgery definitely is not required.``

http://www.essentialelvis.com/Interviews_DrNick.htm

"I have learned never to ridicule any man's opinion, however strange it may seem."

Quote Originally Posted by Col Jon Burrows View Post
    It's said that elvis would never go into surgery like this was because he was affraid he wouldn't ever wakup. Which is strage because he did the eye surgery or facelift whatever it was in June 1975 but it definitley should have been done..the colon was enlarged wasn't it alot bigger than it should have, which caused him to look much bigger in the stomach than he really was?
    Colon surgery is a little bit more of a risk than an eye surgery. My mom had this surgery back in 1985 (emergency surgery) and they told us she had a 50-50 chance of making it through the surgery. I wouldn't want to take those chances either.

Forever Best Friends

Thanks for the image, he really shoudlve gone through and had the surgery who knows what it may have done to help him if he had went through with it. But the man had so much going against him at the end with his addiction the the drugs, plus all of the medical issues he had the odds weren't on his side.
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

Quote Originally Posted by TotallyInsane View Post
    Colon surgery is a little bit more of a risk than an eye surgery. My mom had this surgery back in 1985 (emergency surgery) and they told us she had a 50-50 chance of making it through the surgery. I wouldn't want to take those chances either.
    No, even today--it's not a surgery to take lightly.
    Back in the '70's, it was unthinkable . At least to the doctors that would have had to do the surgery.
    Especially, if something had happened to Elvis.

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    No, even today--it's not a surgery to take lightly.
    Back in the '70's, it was unthinkable . At least to the doctors that would have had to do the surgery.
    Especially, if something had happened to Elvis.
    Then they'd be looking at a huge lawsuit.
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977