Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Elvis' wedding

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post
    Yes, Elvis was forced into marriage.
    I've always heard this but never really knew how true it was.

Apparently Colonel Beauila was threatening to sue Elvis etc if he didn't go ahead and marry her.

I think the whole wedding Elvis was in a trap, but try and live up to an image of something, Elvis wasn't never meant to be married. Never in his life I'm betting, was he 100% Loyal to any one woman.

IMO, Elvis didn't want to settle down and marry. And one more thing, it wasn't so much her leaving him that he would miss her etc that killed him, it was his HUGE ego that couldn't handle it. I mean here you have this young girl who he pretty much raised from a young girl, and had been whipped by Elvis all the years, almost like a dog on a leash and here she is leaving him. That's what killed him imo. Sorry for getting a little off topic with my rambing. In a chatty mood at 6 am with no sleep
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

Originally Posted by MissyM
    Getlo you are going by the date she said she got pregnant. Ok so that would make her period about April 14th and due date Jan. 21. And Lisa was not overdue. Too small for that. There is no way they'd plan a wedding the week that she might have had a period!
    You must be kidding. You are grasping at straws in the face of provable, scientific FACT.

The average human gestation is 280 days. From wedding night to LM's birth was 276 days. Taking into account Cilla's cycle - which I'm sure was not discussed with Elvis! - may have finished a couple or three days earlier than that ...

... all of this adds up to Cilla's story checking out. No ifs, ands or buts. The idea that she was pregnant before her wedding is pure speculation, and there is nothing to back up that theory at all.

Yes, Elvis was forced into marriage. Yes, Cilla is devious and always has been. But she did not use the pregnancy to trap him.
    I started to answer this last night, but grew tired of it all.
    Have to agree with you, Getlo!

I had an in-law that started her period on her wediing day !
    My cousin laughed at her ! One month larter, my cousin had the same thing happen to her !
    I believe it's just nerves that causes these things !No way can anyone predict their bodies response to stress !

I believe Elvis was forced {rushed } into marriage !
    It was just way past time in some peoples eyes !
    "I have learned never to ridicule any man's opinion, however strange it may seem."

Quote Originally Posted by Col Jon Burrows View Post
    I mean here you have this young girl who he pretty much raised from a young girl, and had been whipped by Elvis all the years, almost like a dog on a leash and here she is leaving him. That's what killed him imo.
    No. Drug abuse and a heart attack killed him.

I agree that it was a huge blow to his ego. But it did not kill him, any more than his mother's death did.

Elvis didn't so much miss Cilla as the ... let's say the power he had over her. He liked his women in their place, ie secondary to him and the other men around him.

She defied him. She said no. No one had ever done that to Elvis.

That's what he was hurting over. That, and the fact that she had taken up with another man so soon. "How could anyone follow me?" was his thinking.

The idea that he was in love with Cilla until he died is rubbish, IMO. I don't even think he was ever truly in love with her, or any woman.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Quote Originally Posted by SweetCaroline View Post
    The way I figure it.... Priscilla called her Daddy and whined.....Daddy called the Colonel....the Colonel and Daddy got on Elvis's case about the situation...Elvis was just "rowing with the flow" and let the Colonel put the wedding together... and in the rush Red was left out...It sure seems so by ELVIS' own words......"It was a ramrod type thing."
    Maybe Elvis wasn´t interested in the wedding at all?

Last night after I logged off of here, I was thinking about what Missy said about things that she heard in the family and then she put two and two together about Priscilla tricking Elvis into marriage and just hasn't said anything until now that she's being asked to give her comments.

I don't doubt that Elvis' life is a great source of discussion in the Smith family. I also know that there is no love lost between the Smith family and Priscilla because maybe they feel slighted by her because of everything that happened in the aftermath of Elvis' death. They also have a saying that "Blood is thicker than water" and I do believe that this would certainly apply here.

As far as "everyone" (Missy's term) knowing that Priscilla had tricked Elvis b/c she thought she was pregnant, and then "everyone" (Missy's term again) knowing how disappointed that they baby didn't come on time - Could it be (THIS IS JUST SPECULATION) that this story was something that was told and over the years became embellished and believed as fact, when in fact maybe, just maybe, it was an assumption to begin with. Forget the fact that she wasn't liked very much within the group (as some members of the MM say). With so many family members and friends around, is it possible that someone may have said "Maybe they rushed to get married b/c she was pregnant" and, over with time, this has become what is generally accepted by the family now. I don't really know. Its difficult enough trying to figure out what the truth is and what isn't the truth since Elvis never spoke of any of this. When I get into trying to second guess these truths, one is left believing just about anything.

It just seems to me that IF the story about her tricking Elvis into marriage were true, someone within the group would have blown the lid off of this and not kept it a secret for so long.
    Last edited by ehollier; 06-18-2008 at 07:41 AM.
    "More people today should see him not simply as a performer, but as an artist with a great soul."

John Bakke, professor emeritus
    University of Memphis

MissyM
    You must be kidding. You are grasping at straws in the face of provable, scientific FACT.

The average human gestation is 280 days. From wedding night to LM's birth was 276 days. Taking into account Cilla's cycle - which I'm sure was not discussed with Elvis! - may have finished a couple or three days earlier than that ...

... all of this adds up to Cilla's story checking out. No ifs, ands or buts. The idea that she was pregnant before her wedding is pure speculation, and there is nothing to back up that theory at all.

Yes, Elvis was forced into marriage. Yes, Cilla is devious and always has been. But she did not use the pregnancy to trap him.
    I didn't say she was pregnant before the marriage. She just said she thought she was. Too early to confirm, no one wanted to take the chance. Besides Col. thought it was past time for this and maybe it would settle him down.

MissyM
    IMO, Elvis didn't want to settle down and marry. And one more thing, it wasn't so much her leaving him that he would miss her etc that killed him, it was his HUGE ego that couldn't handle it. I mean here you have this young girl who he pretty much raised from a young girl, and had been whipped by Elvis all the years, almost like a dog on a leash and here she is leaving him. That's what killed him imo. Sorry for getting a little off topic with my rambing. In a chatty mood at 6 am with no sleep

Quote Originally Posted by ehollier View Post
    Could it be (THIS IS JUST SPECULATION) that this story was something that was told and over the years became embellished and believed as fact, when in fact maybe, just maybe, it was an assumption to begin with.
    Precisely.

There is absolutely no way Cilla was pregnant before the wedding day. We would have heard something more credible by now than disgruntled Smith relatives and others!
    Last edited by Getlo; 06-18-2008 at 08:04 AM.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

MissyM
    Quote Originally Posted by ehollier View Post
    Last night after I logged off of here, I was thinking about what Missy said about things that she heard in the family and then she put two and two together about Priscilla tricking Elvis into marriage and just hasn't said anything until now that she's being asked to give her comments.

I don't doubt that Elvis' life is a great source of discussion in the Smith family. I also know that there is no love lost between the Smith family and Priscilla because maybe they feel slighted by her because of everything that happened in the aftermath of Elvis' death. They also have a saying that "Blood is thicker than water" and I do believe that this would certainly apply here.

As far as "everyone" (Missy's term) knowing that Priscilla had tricked Elvis b/c she thought she was pregnant, and then "everyone" (Missy's term again) knowing how disappointed that they baby didn't come on time - Could it be (THIS IS JUST SPECULATION) that this story was something that was told and over the years became embellished and believed as fact, when in fact maybe, just maybe, it was an assumption to begin with. Forget the fact that she wasn't liked very much within the group (as some members of the MM say). With so many family members and friends around, is it possible that someone may have said "Maybe they rushed to get married b/c she was pregnant" and, as with time, this has become what is generally accepted by the family now. I don't know really know. Its difficult enough trying to figure out what the truth is and what isn't the truth since Elvis never spoke of any of this. When I get into trying to second guess these truths, one is left believing just about anything.

It just seems to me that IF the story about her tricking Elvis into marriage were true, someone within the group would have blown the lid off of this and not kept it a secret for so long.
    You must have missed my other post. It was not repeated over the years. It was not a big deal it was a done deal end of story no one harped on it. No love lost between Cilla and the family? There was no obssesive dislike of her. They (the family) just accepted what happened, the decisions Elvis made and like him made the best of it. There are other things that were told and no one has ever said a thing about them. But I guess at this point it really isn't relevant because people think and believe what they want anyway. I know it's hard to imagine that people did have disgression. (for Priscilla and Lisa's sake) And hard to imagine that some just don't even care enough.

MissyM
    Problem is, there is but one you could even qualify as disgruntled (or you are speculating with no proof) and that would be Lois. And she is not my source.

Quote Originally Posted by MissyM View Post
    You must have missed my other post. It was not repeated over the years. It was not a big deal it was a done deal end of story no one harped on it. No love lost between Cilla and the family? There was no obssesive dislike of her. They (the family) just accepted what happened, the decisions Elvis made and like him made the best of it. There are other things that were told and no one has ever said a thing about them. But I guess at this point it really isn't relevant because people think and believe what they want anyway. I know it's hard to imagine that people did have disgression. (for Priscilla and Lisa's sake) And hard to imagine that some just don't even care enough.
    Missy, I did read your other post, but what I keep thinking about is this - you claim that 'everyone' knew why the wedding was rushed. Who is everyone? Is the just the Smiths?, the MM?, Elvis and Priscilla? The Col? Seems like there was always alot happening around Elvis and someone close to him would have latched on to this piece of information to use it later. All of the books that have been written have spared no detail too irrevelent for us to debate. And all have pretty much said what most of us here have been lead to believe - that Priscilla was a virgin and became pregnant on their wedding night. I am not saying that you aren't telling us what you know. All I am suggesting is that, is it possible, that your story has become the truth after all of these years or is it the other way around; Priscilla's story has become the truth after all of these years? Seems to me that if she can pull the wool over EVERYONE'S eyes, she welds quite a bit of power. But she hasn't managed to keep any of the other stories consistent.
    "More people today should see him not simply as a performer, but as an artist with a great soul."

University of Memphis

MissyM
    First I didn't say everyone knew what went down. Second the story was not repeated through the years. Thirdly it really does matter, it didn't matter then, doesn't matter now. Just a bit of info I feel adds up from way back.

First I didn't say everyone knew what went down. Second the story was not repeated through the years. Thirdly it really does matter, it didn't matter then, doesn't matter now. Just a bit of info I feel adds up from way back.

Missy, this is what you said: "Then everyone waited for the baby to be born on it's due date but she was a no show. So everyone then knew she lied." This is what I have been basing all of my inquiries on -- if "everyone" knew, how could this be kept a secret?

University of Memphis

MissyM
    Ok I see what you are saying. Of course people did wait for the baby on the due date. Then after the fact years later ( I can't even recall the year) eventually the subject came up about the rushed wedding years later (because as I said not a big topic for discussion) one person slipped up, someone I consider reliable. One, but I assumed that if that person knew, so did the rest.(and just had kept mum) And the whole thing seemed to have been dropped by then anyway. Heck Elvis's drug situation wasn't even talked about. I didn't know he had a drug problem till you people did probably.

Ok I see what you are saying. Of course people did wait for the baby on the due date. Then after the fact years later ( I can't even recall the year) eventually the subject came up about the rushed wedding years later (because as I said not a big topic for discussion) one person slipped up, someone I consider reliable. One, but I assumed that if that person knew, so did the rest.(and just had kept mum) And the whole thing seemed to have been dropped by then anyway. Heck Elvis's drug situation wasn't even talked about. I didn't know he had a drug problem till you people did probably.
    Thank you Missy for clearing that up. I hope you can understand how I could challenge your theory of 'everyone' and then it never been revealed in some interview. I just seems a little curious that with all that has been said about Elvis, and we know there has been PLENTY, this has never ever been repeated; however, I understand that you believe this b/c of your source.

But "what people" are you talking about? Only family, the MM, only Priscilla and Elvis?? How many people are we talking about that were waiting on a baby that never came? I have to ask, b/c I find it remarkable that this has never been made public. Elvis was surrounded by people all of the time and if what you are saying is true, then someone HAD TO KNOW.
    Last edited by ehollier; 06-18-2008 at 09:32 AM.

University of Memphis

I still don't understand. Since a gestation is 280 days and Lisa was born 276 days after the weddiing ; how can anyone say Cilla was pregnant before the wedding---or that she was late delivering the baby ?
    Both contradict the other, IMO.
    "I have learned never to ridicule any man's opinion, however strange it may seem."

I think what was said that Priscilla thought or had pretended she was pregnant before the wedding but then after getting married really did get pregnant.

That's one I hadn't heard of.

Diane

Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    I think what was said that Priscilla thought or had pretended she was pregnant before the wedding but then after getting married really did get pregnant.

That's one I hadn't heard of.

Diane
    Thanks, Diane . Guess it's just like many of the stories.
    They don't have to make sense for someone to repeat them.

You sure have got that right Cameron.

Diane

Loving elvis
    Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    Thanks, Diane . Guess it's just like many of the stories.
    They don't have to make sense for someone to repeat them.
    That is pretty much how gossip starts and than it speads like wildfire

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast