Thread: Controversial Elvis related film to get limited release in the US.

Loving elvis

Controversial Elvis related film to get limited release in the US.

Controversial Elvis related film to get limited release in the US: "hounddog", starring Dakota Fanning and Robin Wright Penn is finally getting a "limited" release in America on 18 July 2008.

Film Plot: In late 1950's rural Alabama, young Lewellen lives with her stern religious grandmother, Grammie, but spends most of her time with her much-adored, wild and rough Daddy in his falling down shack. Lewellen is deeply talented and finds comfort and safety, as well as a place to put her hurt and rage, in the music of Elvis Presley, even though Charles, the wise groundskeeper of the mansion down the road, tries to convince her that "there is more to fill out that emptiness with than just Elvis."

Lewellen and her closest friend, Buddy, are caught in a shed during a heavy rainstorm. During the storm Daddy is struck by lightning and the event leaves him incapacitated as an emotional and mental child. Grammie is convinced that Daddy was stricken down by God to punish Lewellen for her alleged sins with Buddy. Lewellen becomes Daddy's caretaker and their dysfunctional relationship becomes even more pronounced, Lewellen becoming the parent and Daddy the child.

Without any guidance, Lewellen begins to move into dangerous terrain. When Elvis Presley comes to town for a concert, Lewellen is desperate to go but has no money for a ticket. So, Buddy tricks Lewellen into dancing and singing like Elvis for Wooden's Boy in exchange for tickets he has to the concert.

During the impersonation, Wooden's Boy attacks Lewellen and leaves her innocence behind. Lewellen's descent into the cycle of abuse and her own pursuit of self-destruction begins. It is only Charles who can see the spirit in Lewellen and save her soul. He teaches her to use music, "the Blues," to turn her tragedy into a gift.

2008/06/09 www.elvisinfonet.com / www.epgold.com

I'm not sure why this film is considered "controversial" or having much to do with Elvis .
    "I have learned never to ridicule any man's opinion, however strange it may seem."

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    I'm not sure why this film is considered "controversial" or having much to do with Elvis .

Me either....I think it had something to do with the rape scene in the movie and "Hound Dog" being played during the scene....but I might be wrong....

I'll have to see this cause I love Dakota Fanning!!!

Forever Best Friends

Me too, I've always found Dakota very precious since I first saw her in the television mini series "Taken". My sister bought it for me and it's one of my favorite films.

I think the movie is related to Elvis because the little girl she plays in the film turns to Elvis music for comfort. I think it's quite a tribute to him and am looking forward to seeing this movie.

Diane

Loving elvis
    I just watched the movie dreamer with Dakota Fanning and kurt russel and that little lady did a beauiful job in that movie and she also very good in other movies too.

Quote Originally Posted by presley31 View Post
    I just watched the movie dreamer with Dakota Fanning and kurt russel and that little lady did a beauiful job in that movie and she also very good in other movies too.
    I LOVE THAT MOVIE!!!!

Forever Best Friends

Me too!!!! That little girl is such a natural.

Diane

I'm not sure why this film is considered "controversial"
    The rape of a child would probably be the reason ...
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post
    The rape of a child would probably be the reason ...
    I'd say so. But, there's no Elvis connection except for a song and his music.
    It only shows how healing his music could be. Many forget that .
    "I have learned never to ridicule any man's opinion, however strange it may seem."

But, there's no Elvis connection except for a song and his music.
    No, the connection is that Elvis is coming to town in the movie, and the child uses Elvis and his music to escape from her craphole of a life.

It is not an Elvis-related movie in any sense. It was never meant to be.

I just hope the wowsers and conservatives let the movie run and allow people to make up their own minds ...
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post
    No, the connection is that Elvis is coming to town in the movie, and the child uses Elvis and his music to escape from her craphole of a life.

It is not an Elvis-related movie in any sense. It was never meant to be.

I just hope the wowsers and conservatives let the movie run and allow people to make up their own minds ...
    Well, I'd like to see it. Even if it's not about Elvis.

Loving elvis
    Well, I'd like to see it. Even if it's not about Elvis.
    I would love to see it but not sure if l can watch the rape bit

SleepyJack
    Sounds like a very serious movie,unfortunately the themes involved have become important in this day and age,hope people give it a go and hear what it has to say......as to the Elvis connection,I wouldn`t take it too serious.....if anything Elvis in the movie would seem to stand for dreams and escape...so,I guess in a way we should be pleased that Elvis is used to represent something good to somebody..even in such horrible circumstances............or I`m just ramblin` on again!!

I've seen a movie on this topic before . It didn't include Elvis though.
    It was a very good movie and while I didn't enjoy the rape scene; I could see where it tackled a very real problem in our society.
    yes, I'd like to see it.

Loving elvis
    I've seen a movie on this topic before . It didn't include Elvis though.
    It was a very good movie and while I didn't enjoy the rape scene; I could see where it tackled a very real problem in our society.
    yes, I'd like to see it.
    I'am pretty sure this movie has been talked about before cause the movie was hard time getting releashed cause of the rape scenes, IMO its hard for some.

Using Elvis/ELVISmusic to escape crummy lives is not far from reality for many young Elvis fans. I have seen many post the same on several message boards over the last few years.... (though they were not children anymore). So that theme of the story is not far fetched at all.

I will never forget you Rosanne.
    R.I.P. 4-27-59~7-22-09

Quote Originally Posted by presley31 View Post
    I would love to see it but not sure if l can watch the rape bit
    The rape scene is shown off camera..so it's not really seen, only implied. This movie was THE movie at last years' Sundance Film Festival...and it was considered quite controversial at that time.

I'll have to watch this one IF it comes to my little town! I've admired Dakota since her film with Sean Penn - I Am Sam. She has a great future ahead of her!

Just pretend, I'm holding you, and whispering things soft and low.
    And think of me, how it's gonna be and just pretend I didn't go

Quote Originally Posted by Lisarose View Post
    I'll have to watch this one IF it comes to my little town! I've admired Dakota since her film with Sean Penn - I Am Sam. She has a great future ahead of her!
    I agree Lisa...wasn't that a great little movie?