Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: A Lonely Life Ends on Elvis Presley Blvd

Quote Originally Posted by jak View Post
    "Elvis wasn't the victim of his succes, but a victim of his own personality and choices"

That sums it up perfectly,
    Once again my friend we will only partially agree. I think the success was part of the problem-IMO had he never hit it big, had he continued to work at Crown Electric and lived a "normal existence"-had he married, gone to the local church and had kids he would have had a better chance living past 42 His choices and personality would have been influenced by his upbringing, childhood experiences, and heredity (which most psychiatrists will agree on) so either way IMO he may have had problems -but that type huge worldwide success would have to do a number on any 20 year olds head. I think he was no different.
    Nice to see you back

loneliness

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    but that type huge worldwide success would have to do a number on any 20 year olds head. I think he was no different.
    It must be difficult at any age. I think it was difficult for Hitler to become Führer (leader) when he was in his thirties and forties. In such cases you get the impression of immense loneliness.

I wouldn't take most psychiatrists all too seriously, but I suppose that simply has to do with me trying to get back at my father who tried to keep mama away from me.

Some people have a lot of experience in life and therefore have some wisdom and insight in the strange ways of humanity and (e.g.) become pope, but they can deal with it.

Not trying to say Elvis was too weak. If he was, then who cares? I just get the impression there was something physical going on there.
    Last edited by EnigmaticSun; 06-09-2008 at 03:50 PM. Reason: minor error
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/999022_359272057534723_1223625887_n.jpg

all the goons I left behind, memories still linger..

Quote Originally Posted by elvia7 View Post
    I thing - Elvis is happy now.
    Almost all life HI look for love ( truly love ).
    HIS life was for HIM probably absolutly empty' after Pris took
    from HIM - Lisa.

My friend...you have an excellent point! No matter what he did...who's to blame for it...or who's not, one thing is certain...He loved his little girl! After losing Gladys, I often think that Lisa was the only bright spot in his life. How sad to have life by the tail, and still be unhappy! To be surrounded by people, and yet feel all alone... I feel sad for him, because I am with Diane in the fact that he was who he was, and obviously was NOT prepared mentally for what would come into play throughout his life. I don't find it at all unreasonable to believe that things just got out of control for him before he could get a grip on them...most addicts have that very same problem. And then, by that time, there is almost no way to convince them that they have a problem....even when they may agree that they do, deep down they still think that they are able to handle it...sad thing is, they rarely ever do.

Daddy, I miss you more every day. You will always be my hero..

Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    It's like what came first....the chicken or the egg? His personality was already formed before his success so since he wasn't really equipped emotionally to handle it, he was a victim of it.

Sorry if I'm so hard-headed about this but it only looks like common sense to me.

Diane

Exactly Diane!!!
    Elvis was the emotional guy he was and that is what made us love him and the music he made for us...His emotional makeup also made him not able to handle the crazy world that happened to him. Seems pretty simple to me

I will never forget you Rosanne.
    R.I.P. 4-27-59~7-22-09

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    It seems they were very disappointed in their Idol.
    There was no room for understanding or forgiveness.
    He just didn't do as they expected him to do.
    So, they need to make sure no one forgets his mistakes.
    I'd hate to be held to the standards they inflict upon others.
    Makes one wonder how "perfect" or rigid their life is.

It's too late for Elvis to be "normal".
    IMO, it's these same folks that would never have paid any attention to him in the first place, if he was "normal" or mediocre .
    So, for his "differences" that drew them to him in the first place;
    he can never be forgiven because he didn't live up to their expectations.
    Couldn't think of a word to add to your thoughts, Cameron. Really well stated.
    Did the sweet fella have flaws? Without a doubt! but the good of ELVIS so outweighed the flaws... that the flaws become minuscule in comparison and should be hardly a footnote in the overall story of ELVIS!

I will never forget you Rosanne.
    R.I.P. 4-27-59~7-22-09

International Level rhythmknights's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumpsuit Junkie View Post
    'A Lonely Life Ends on Elvis Presley Blvd' . . IMO the comment is valid given what we have heard from those around him. Do you think that this was always the case?
    i sometimes think that aside from his mother and cousins, Elvis felt he was alone. this from the different things i've read
    what do you think were the causes of this loneliness?
    fame. i read that he always goes home to Memphis after every job he finishes - home is comfort, but then he can't just go over to "John and Joan's" house for a bar-b-que, it would cause to much chaos, he can't go to his church - it would disrupt the service, Priscilla told him not to go to her graduation, as it would be disruptive, what good is all of it if you can't even enjoy it with your friends and still be treated like one of the guys like you used to be.
    Was the dependence of medication the problem?
    at the end, sure. in the beginning - i don't think so!
    Was it the divorce?
    sort of. imo, he had a deep desire to be an ordinary family man, because he knew that was what his mother wanted for him. she wanted Elvis to be happily married with lots of young ones running about the estate! of course, Elvis was happy being Elvis, i don't think he knew quite how to deal with the whole package and didn't really understand that no one can have it all. i do know that he loved children from all the photos of him
    with the children of friends and managers, etc.
    Or do you think he was tickety-boo?
    huh is that to say he was - going bonkers?

What are your thoughts........
    didn't read all the comments, so be kind!
    great thread, when i have more time, i'll read the whole 4 pages!
    All I wanted was a white knight with a good heart, soft touch, fast horse
    Ride me off into the sunset Baby, I'm forever yours

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    I
    Was he lonely? Yes, I think he was. But, his loneliness was always there from the beginning, IMO. Many reasons ,even in his childhood.
    Well of couse none of us knew him personally but you didn't have to just to know the man was depressed. Hello, look at how he let himself go the last couple of years, does that sound to you like someone who is happy, Most likely No it doesn't.

I recall Linda Thompson being interviewed and she said Elvis told her in a moment of real brutal honesty, he was intensley lonely at heart that's how he would put it.

Look at the Elvis from 1955, to 1975. Two TOTALLY different human beings, the death of his mother, which never got over I don' think, the divorce, which was his final blow IMO. So when you think of all this, plus the Colonel using Elvis as a money machine, its no wonder he was sad !!

Reminds me of that ol saying, What profits a man, if he gains the whole world, and looses his soul
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

[/b]

Some just can't or won't forgive him for being human.
    I wanted to point something out here when I read this, just because some tend to discuss the other side of Elvis, does not mean we do not forgive him. The truth sometimes does hurt, but you have to accept Elvis for what he was human, who made tons of mistakes just like the rest of us.
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Once again my friend we will only partially agree. I think the success was part of the problem-IMO had he never hit it big, had he continued to work at Crown Electric and lived a "normal existence"-had he married, gone to the local church and had kids he would have had a better chance living past 42 His choices and personality would have been influenced by his upbringing, childhood experiences, and heredity (which most psychiatrists will agree on) so either way IMO he may have had problems -but that type huge worldwide success would have to do a number on any 20 year olds head. I think he was no different.
    Nice to see you back
    Hello KPM
    It's always good to discuss these topics with you.I would point out to you that Elvis made the choice to stop driving that truck.Elvis wanted to be a star.That was his choice alone so he must bear the responsibilty for it.He had to accept the good with the bad.I just dont think Elvis was suited to live a normal life so to speak.He was just different and he stood out to much from the crowd.I just always go back to the way I was brought up.To me every adult must shoulder responsibilty for their own actions.I do agree with you about the magnitude of his sucess being overwhelming.I dont think he could have forseen just how huge it was going to be.

Havent you noticed that when his flaws are discussed there is usually a backlash?Even if it's the truth.Do you think his flaws are fair game for discussion?
    One thing amazes me about his fans.You had this guy Elvis.IMO no other entertainer ever shined as great or had so much promise.He was just bursting with energy and was full of life.On the outside he appeared to have the world in the palm of his hand.Im one of those who think he actually did by the way.Yet his outcome was basically horriffic when you consider how and why things turned out eventually.How does one ignore these things?Can the real fans just block it out?If I do my best to ignore the sun rising everyday does that make it so?I think many fans just cant accept that Elvis basically screwed up things for himself and they wont admit it.They cant.I just prefer to be honest and truthfull.Am I less of a fan than you "real" fans here?
    Spot on Jak, couldn't have put it any better.

There is no way, even if once tried, to block that stuff out, the wrongs in Elvis' life..there very much apart of it as is everything else in his life!
    If that makes us less of fans for accepting it then so be it.

IMO,most everyone accepts him for who he was.
    Some just seems to enjoy the fall more than others.
    Last edited by cameron; 06-10-2008 at 07:01 AM.
    "I have learned never to ridicule any man's opinion, however strange it may seem."

IMO,most everyone accepts him for who he was.
    Some just sems to enjoy the fall more than others.
    I don't know if enjoy is the correct word to use here.

Maybe most are interested in his downfall, because here you have the biggest star in the world, had it in the palm of his hands, and he let it all slip away. I think thats why some are drawn to the downfall of him, it definitley is interesting to say the least.

I certainly have never taken any enjoyment from his downfall.Im just not blind or oblivious to it.I would like to believe I have enough intelligence to look at things from all angles.Im not one to bury my head in the sand or make believe some things didnt happen.I realize his downfall is some sort of taboo for many.To me it's not.Why should it be?

Quote Originally Posted by Col Jon Burrows View Post
    I don't know if enjoy is the correct word to use here.

Maybe most are interested in his downfall, because here you have the biggest star in the world, had it in the palm of his hands, and he let it all slip away. I think thats why some are drawn to the downfall of him, it definitley is interesting to say the least.
    That was taken straight from the MM.
    Very strange statement to me. Interesting to see a sick man?
    I'd much rather find out where he came from and what happened in between.
    There's always circumstances no one is aware of in most peoples lives.
    To me, that is interesting.
    "I have learned never to ridicule any man's opinion, however strange it may seem."

I certainly have never taken any enjoyment from his downfall.Im just not blind or oblivious to it.
    And neither have I. I'm not going to sit and deny everything just because it hurts to know some of the things our man was involved in through his life.

And your right Jak, that is the best thing to do, is try to look at it though ALL angles and come up with your own conclusion..thats about all we can do.

[QUOTE]
    I certainly have never taken any enjoyment from his downfall.Im just not blind or oblivious to it.I would like to believe I have enough intelligence to look at things from all angles.Im not one to bury my head in the sand or make believe some things didnt happen.I realize his downfall is some sort of taboo for many.To me it's not.Why should it be?[/QUOT
    IMO, most everyone is well aware of the problems he had.
    Many just don't care to look further to see where to place the blame.
    There's plenty of blame to go around-- for all of them.
    It's just ignored .

Believe me, in my business, you don't bury your head in the sand.
    It just never helped to correct the problem by heaping it all on one.
    In this case, it won't help Elvis under any circumstances .
    It's way too late !

Elvis' last years are fascinating to many.Not because he was sick.It's because he threw everything away and self destructed.He reached the summit and then crashed back down by his own accord.His story is one of success,excess and tradegy.How can anyone not find his story interesting from start to finish?There isnt anything else to compare it to.

[QUOTE=cameron;217498]
    IMO, most everyone is well aware of the problems he had.
    Many just don't care to look further to see where to place the blame.
    There's plenty of blame to go around-- for all of them.
    It's just ignored .

Believe me, in my business, you don't bury your head in the sand.
    It just never helped to correct the problem by heaping it all on one.
    In this case, it won't help Elvis under any circumstances .
    It's way too late !
    It's obvious many still have not come to terms with how Elvis ended up.Personally I have never looked to place blame on anyone.Elvis did what he did.He was a big boy that made terrible descions professionally and personally.It began and ended with him.I dont think the reason behind his problems are as complicated as some believe or want to believe.

Elvis' last years are fascinating to many.Not because he was sick.It's because he threw everything away and self destructed.He reached the summit and then crashed back down by his own accord.His story is one of success,excess and tradegy.How can anyone not find his story interesting from start to finish?There isnt anything else to compare it to.
    I've never found it interesting or amusing to watch an unhappy person taken advantage of.
    You can find many stories of many people just like this.
    Only difference I see ; they might not be as interesting because one didn't watch it happen so publicly.
    Thankfully, I've seen some go on to live better lives. After getting rid of the leeches in their lives.

It's obvious many still have not come to terms with how Elvis ended up.Personally I have never looked to place blame on anyone.Elvis did what he did.He was a big boy that made terrible descions professionally and personally.It began and ended with him.I dont think the reason behind his problems are as complicated as some believe or want to believe.
    It's quite obvious some never looked very far .

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast