Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: A Lonely Life Ends on Elvis Presley Blvd

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar

A Lonely Life Ends on Elvis Presley Blvd

'A Lonely Life Ends on Elvis Presley Blvd' these words are from a newspaper headline in August 1977 (commented by midnight in the Elvis Then & Now thread).

IMO the comment is valid given what we have heard from those around him. Do you think that this was always the case?

what do you think were the causes of this loneliness?

Was the dependence of medication the problem?

Was it the divorce?

Or do you think he was tickety-boo?

What are your thoughts........

I think I resented this headline. Always wondered just who ever took the time to find out anything about the man in the first place .

Was he lonely? Yes, I think he was. But, his loneliness was always there from the beginning, IMO. Many reasons ,even in his childhood.

Do I assume I really know? No, of course not since I never knew him personally.
    "I have learned never to ridicule any man's opinion, however strange it may seem."

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    I think I resented this headline. Always wondered just who ever took the time to find out anything about the man in the first place .

I think that's the last Elvis item that I have bought. I found an original from 08/17/1977 for sale on Ebay. IMO.....of all the "BIG" headlines that papers used that morning from all over the world, this one was the most touching to me. I felt like it spoke volumes.

Quote Originally Posted by utmom2008 View Post
    I think that's the last Elvis item that I have bought. I found an original from 08/17/1977 for sale on Ebay. IMO.....of all the "BIG" headlines that papers used that morning from all over the world, this one was the most touching to me. I felt like it spoke volumes.
    Of course it was sad and touching,I agree.
    I still couldn't help but wonder why no one paid much attention to his sadness before this. And, did the newspapers ever wonder if they had a part in the "sadness?" Many were "the fat and 40" jokes and bad reviews, .

Can't help it. I feel compassion for Britney Spears too or anyone that has to live their life in the public eye. They can be heartless. I never thought I'd like that kind of job. Too cruel. I think medicine was the best choice for me.
    "I have learned never to ridicule any man's opinion, however strange it may seem."

In the 1977 concert...Elvis says ..when he starts singing "are you lonesome tonight"..he says.."i was..and i am"...so he answered that question him self

Something was always missing for him in the relationships he had around him I think and I think that can be a common thing for a lot of people. Really, I don't think anyone actually understood him or knew him down deep inside.

In their defense, I think he was a very complex person but I wish someone had dug a little deeper while he was still around.

Diane

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    I still couldn't help but wonder why no one paid much attention to his sadness before this. And, did the newspapers ever wonder if they had a part in the "sadness?" Many were "the fat and 40" jokes and bad reviews
    Yes..I understand what you mean. I always found it interesting that it was his hometown paper that led with such a touching headline. Makes you feel like maybe they were on to something before the rest of us were.

Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    Something was always missing for him in the relationships he had around him.Really, I don't think anyone actually understood him or knew him down deep inside.

In their defense, I think he was a very complex person but I wish someone had dug a little deeper while he was still around.
    Great post Diane.....I totally agree with you.

Smile

I suppose we will never know why he was so lonely, I think it was because Priscilla was no longer with him and he missed Lisa. He never quite seemed the same after Priscilla left.

Anyway something always haunted him to bad he couldn't seem to figure out just what it was.

I still think it was Priscilla not being with him.

I dream a world where man no other man
    will scorn. Where LOVE will bless the earth
    and peace its paths adorn...

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    I suppose we will never know why he was so lonely, I think it was because Priscilla was no longer with him and he missed Lisa. He never quite seemed the same after Priscilla left.

Anyway something always haunted him to bad he couldn't seem to figure out just what it was.

I still think it was Priscilla not being with him.
    I agree!!

eventho some people here seem to think they know it all just cos they saw him live lol

Quote Originally Posted by Pelvis View Post
    I agree!!

eventho some people here seem to think they know it all just cos they saw him live lol
    Seeing Elvis live is a wonderful addition, but can't help anyone to have known him. Sometimes it's hard just to figure out your closest of friends.

Seeing Elvis live is a wonderful addition, but can't help anyone to have known him.
    YEh i do admire that,i was born a year after his death,so i never saw him live,it must have been amazing to reallly have seen Elvis...

But the only people that really knew Elvis ,are his family and close friends,we Elvis fans don't know him personally,eventho so many claim they know..

I think it is obvious Elvis was not the same after Cilla left him..

YEh i do admire that,i was born a year after his death,so i never saw him live,it must have been amazing to reallly have seen Elvis...

But the only people that really knew Elvis ,are his family and close friends,we Elvis fans don't know him personally,eventho so many claim they know..

I think it is obvious Elvis was not the same after Cilla left him..
    Yes, it's a real shame Priscilla couldn't find a way to stay. We won't really ever know the whole reason for his loneliness though. I just except, what is....is, and so be it. I have no deep desires about trying to figure out something impossible just coming from a fan such as I.
    Last edited by Tommy; 06-08-2008 at 04:25 PM.

I agree!!

There is only a tiny handfull here that ever saw Elvis in person, so I'm not sure which one of us that comment was directed towards. The few of us that did see him have never said that gave us any insight as to why he was a lonely man. We have based our assumptions on a lifetime of reading everything we could get our hands on. I will say with 100% conviction that you can not imagine what his actual charisma was like if you didn't get to see him...and those that did will tell you the same thing. It's a real shame, but comments such as yours is what keeps us from telling more about what he was like in person. I think there are lots of fans here at TCB that enjoy our stories of the good ole days....but things like this make us hesitant to talk, and in return the ones that are curious end up losing out.

Those of us who were lucky enough to see him perform in person saw not only his wonderful stage personality but he did let us catch quite a few glimpses of his personal side as he was very natural and unaffected so gave us that little edge in what he was like in private but.....no way could we say we knew the real Elvis from that contact and I don't know anyone here who said they did.

Diane

Quote Originally Posted by utmom2008 View Post
    There is only a tiny handfull here that ever saw Elvis in person, so I'm not sure which one of us that comment was directed towards. The few of us that did see him have never said that gave us any insight as to why he was a lonely man. We have based our assumptions on a lifetime of reading everything we could get our hands on. I will say with 100% conviction that you can not imagine what his actual charisma was like if you didn't get to see him...and those that did will tell you the same thing. It's a real shame, but comments such as yours is what keeps us from telling more about what he was like in person. I think there are lots of fans here at TCB that enjoy our stories of the good ole days....but things like this make us hesitant to talk, and in return the ones that are curious end up losing out.
    No suprise YOU reacted..yeh i can even feel his charisma on video tape..so i can ONLY imagine you felt it a 1000 times stronger when you saw him live on stage...i really,and i mean this,envy you that you saw him live,i wish i was there too..
    But it does not mean you know more about him,you do NOT know Elvis personally,you can read all the books you want,i can read them too,books YOU read has not dissapeared you know..all i am saying is,you do not know Elvis personally at all,not one bit...he can smile on stage,and feel sad inside..u can sarcasticlty make and direct ur comments against me cos you do not agree,but Elvis smiling on stage does NOT mean he is happy ok!If he was he would not have died at the age of 42 looking as bad as he did then..

Anyway,despite our differences,i envy you saw Elvis Live,i can only imagine it was a wonderful experience..no matter what his personal life was like,we love his music don't we?And you had the privelige to see him live on stage,when i look at the hawaii concert on dvd,with my big stereo speakers blazing,i still can't even grasp the feeling that the people felt and heared when they were actually there...

So yeh,i also would love to hear your stories ok?

But it does not mean you know more about him,you do NOT know Elvis personally,you can read all the books you want,i can read them too,books YOU read has not dissapeared you know..all i am saying is,you do not know Elvis personally at all,not one bit...

So yeh,i also would love to hear your stories ok?
    I never said I knew him personally, I think you might want to read back through my posts. I sure wish I had known him personally. As I stated before....I draw MY conclusions from what I have read, just like EVERY other poster on this board.

OK, let's not fuss and get personal again.

Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    Those of us who were lucky enough to see him perform in person saw not only his wonderful stage personality but he did let us catch quite a few glimpses of his personal side as he was very natural and unaffected so gave us that little edge in what he was like in private.
    Thank you Diane...that's EXACTLY what I have said before. Over and over and over....

No suprise YOU reacted..
    OK, let's not fuss and get personal again.
    I agree Tommy....but since the comment was aimed my way I defended myself.

STOP now please...........let's all be fair and square. Get back on the subject.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast