Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
Results 141 to 153 of 153

Thread: A Lonely Life Ends on Elvis Presley Blvd

  1. #141
    TCB Mafia LianaKaralivanou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Thessaloniki, Greece
    Posts
    1,250
    Guys and gals, Elvis made some bad choices in his life and these choices led to his death. I wish he hadn't made them. I wish things were different but unfortunately when we make mistakes we must accept the consequences. And usually they are BAD. And HARD. And there's no turning back. This is such a sad feeling though...
    Goodbye Rosanne...Your "family" in TCB will always remember you.

  2. #142
    TCB Mafia ehollier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    3,307
    Quote Originally Posted by LianaKaralivanou View Post
    Guys and gals, Elvis made some bad choices in his life and these choices led to his death. I wish he hadn't made them. I wish things were different but unfortunately when we make mistakes we must accept the consequences. And usually they are BAD. And HARD. And there's no turning back. This is such a sad feeling though...
    I think you summed up what I said somewhere earlier in this post. Thanks.
    "More people today should see him not simply as a performer, but as an artist with a great soul."

    John Bakke, professor emeritus
    University of Memphis

  3. #143
    PeacockLady Diane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Maine, USA
    Posts
    11,636
    Once an addict becomes an addict he is no longer in control of rational thought and needs help whether he is in denial or not.

    Diane

  4. #144
    TCB Mafia SweetCaroline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Sacramento foothills
    Posts
    1,351
    I always have believed that ELVIS loved his fans. I do think Elvis would want all of us to learn from his mistakes....but I also think he would pray that we would be of generous spirit and dwell on the good things and not the bad/sad things of the time he spent with us. I think ANY human hopes that when other people review their years here on earth...that those doing the reviewing would be kind to their memory. I personally believe some fans relish in the negative more than the positive of Elvis' life. I am not saying that ELVIS' mistakes should not be discussed, but my complaint is in the WAY many poster word their posts....I simply do not see LOVE and generosity for ELVIS! Some seem to be able to post about the sadder aspects of the Elvis story and still come across with a general feeling of overall love for the guy....but a handful of posters seem to not be able to post their words about the drugs, weight, etc. without coming across as if ELVIS was some kind of dirt under their feet.

    I will never forget you Rosanne.
    R.I.P. 4-27-59~7-22-09

  5. #145
    TCB Mafia KPM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7,932
    Quote Originally Posted by LianaKaralivanou View Post
    Guys and gals, Elvis made some bad choices in his life and these choices led to his death. I [B]wish[/B] he hadn't made them. I wish things were different but unfortunately when we make mistakes we must accept the consequences. And usually they are BAD. And HARD. And there's no turning back. This is such a sad feeling though...
    If every person who ever lived made the same choices we would all be clones-people who are exact in size, shape, color, mental and physical health, background, etc.......The choices each one of us make are shaped by all these "individual things" which combine to make us who we are. There are variables which are out of the control of each human being ever born.
    There is a "cause and affect" in life IMO. Why is spring my favorite season? Why am I afraid of small enclosed places? All personal choices I assumed.
    Years ago a psychiatrist told I liked spring because in the spring I spent more time at Grandpas house and I felt safe there. He told me I had claustraphobia because when I found my father dead hanging from a rope it was in a small laundry shed behind the house we lived in. These are just a couple minor things we came across in therapy.
    I want to stress he did not just come up with these in a session or 2- he asked a million questions and we talked for many hours. But the choices of my adult life were affected by things I had no inkling of.
    Some do not believe in shrinks-nor there conclusions. But I think its pretty well accepted that the choices we make as adult is to a degree affected by many things we experience even as tots-we just do not always make the connections.

  6. #146
    Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    In Your Heart
    Posts
    5,993
    Quote Originally Posted by The King's Queen View Post
    So...was he responsible? YES. However, having dealt with people who are addicted to such things, I have to say that I don't think that he was capable of making a change AFTER the drugs got a hold of him. JMO. At least not without some serious help anyway.
    I made a statement that in effect said the same thing, Elvis needed serious help but in those days this kind of treatment wasn't as readily available as it is today.... In todays modern society Elvis would have been in rehab and proud

    Quote Originally Posted by SweetCaroline View Post
    I personally believe some fans relish in the negative more than the positive of Elvis' life. I am not saying that ELVIS' mistakes should not be discussed, but my complaint is in the WAY many poster word their posts....I simply do not see LOVE and generosity for ELVIS! Some seem to be able to post about the sadder aspects of the Elvis story and still come across with a general feeling of overall love for the guy....but a handful of posters seem to not be able to post their words about the drugs, weight, etc. without coming across as if ELVIS was some kind of dirt under their feet.
    I'm not sure that I totally agree with all aspects of your statement but concede that some people don't like these kinds of topics therefore perhaps view statements in a different light!

    Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    If every person who ever lived made the same choices we would all be clones-people who are exact in size, shape, color, mental and physical health, background, etc.......The choices each one of us make are shaped by all these "individual things" which combine to make us who we are. There are variables which are out of the control of each human being ever born.
    There is a "cause and affect" in life IMO. Why is spring my favorite season? Why am I afraid of small enclosed places? All personal choices I assumed.
    Years ago a psychiatrist told I liked spring because in the spring I spent more time at Grandpas house and I felt safe there. He told me I had claustraphobia because when I found my father dead hanging from a rope it was in a small laundry shed behind the house we lived in. These are just a couple minor things we came across in therapy.
    I want to stress he did not just come up with these in a session or 2- he asked a million questions and we talked for many hours. But the choices of my adult life were affected by things I had no inkling of.
    Some do not believe in shrinks-nor there conclusions. But I think its pretty well accepted that the choices we make as adult is to a degree affected by many things we experience even as tots-we just do not always make the connections.
    Great post Ken, insightful as usual

  7. #147
    TCB Mafia LianaKaralivanou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Thessaloniki, Greece
    Posts
    1,250
    Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    If every person who ever lived made the same choices we would all be clones-people who are exact in size, shape, color, mental and physical health, background, etc.......The choices each one of us make are shaped by all these "individual things" which combine to make us who we are. There are variables which are out of the control of each human being ever born.
    There is a "cause and affect" in life IMO. Why is spring my favorite season? Why am I afraid of small enclosed places? All personal choices I assumed.
    Years ago a psychiatrist told I liked spring because in the spring I spent more time at Grandpas house and I felt safe there. He told me I had claustraphobia because when I found my father dead hanging from a rope it was in a small laundry shed behind the house we lived in. These are just a couple minor things we came across in therapy.
    I want to stress he did not just come up with these in a session or 2- he asked a million questions and we talked for many hours. But the choices of my adult life were affected by things I had no inkling of.
    Some do not believe in shrinks-nor there conclusions. But I think its pretty well accepted that the choices we make as adult is to a degree affected by many things we experience even as tots-we just do not always make the connections.

    I can see your point, KPM. I must admit that I agree with you. Yes, the choices that we make probably are connected with events, experiences and incidents in our past. And every person is unique, so the choices that he/she make in his/her life are unique as well. But still, they are OUR choices. Nobody else's. Yes, they can be afected by someone else or a previous event or a trauma as a kid but they are our choices. And we can't go on in our lives blaming those events or blaming other people. We must try to find a solution. Some may call it shrink, as you said in your post. And I believe in shrinks. I do. Maybe Elvis wasn;t strog enough to deal with these problems. Or maybe he was tired enough, who knows?
    Goodbye Rosanne...Your "family" in TCB will always remember you.

  8. #148
    Roustabouts
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    12
    I think Elvis was tortured thoughout his whole life for the fact that he was so blessed and Jesse never got a chance to live life. I also think he never got over loosing his mother so early in life.

    In regards to Priscilla, I think he never wanted to be "divorced" in general and knew he was at fault for cheating among other things and he couldn't forgive himself for the way things ended with her. Then came Linda and she knew that was no kind of life for her and he was left again. Jerry Schilling wrote in his book about how sad that one Christmas was when Priscilla & Lisa were in California and Elvis was alone, that had to kill him that his family wasn't there to share the holiday he loved so much. Then you have the book by the body guards and his father telling him how he's in financial trouble and honestly I don't think he knew if he could "raise" another girl (meaning Ginger) or if he wanted to because it would remind him of his early relationship with Priscilla to much. Drugs were probably the only true escape for him which is so sad. I ofter wonder what would have happened if his father put him in the back of a truck (tough love) and drove around with him until he went thru his withdrawls and did what he had to do. It's so disturbing that from what we read we know that his father only ever stood up to him when it came to money or a few times when it was to do with Dee.

  9. #149
    Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    in the cold Kentucky rain
    Posts
    7,513
    Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    Once an addict becomes an addict he is no longer in control of rational thought and needs help whether he is in denial or not.

    Diane
    Theres no doubt in my mind of whether or not Elvis was in denial. I think its too obvious he really was, and badly.
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977


  10. #150
    Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    In Your Heart
    Posts
    5,993
    Quote Originally Posted by SheriLyn View Post
    I think Elvis was tortured thoughout his whole life for the fact that he was so blessed and Jesse never got a chance to live life. I also think he never got over loosing his mother so early in life.

    In regards to Priscilla, I think he never wanted to be "divorced" in general and knew he was at fault for cheating among other things and he couldn't forgive himself for the way things ended with her. Then came Linda and she knew that was no kind of life for her and he was left again. Jerry Schilling wrote in his book about how sad that one Christmas was when Priscilla & Lisa were in California and Elvis was alone, that had to kill him that his family wasn't there to share the holiday he loved so much. Then you have the book by the body guards and his father telling him how he's in financial trouble and honestly I don't think he knew if he could "raise" another girl (meaning Ginger) or if he wanted to because it would remind him of his early relationship with Priscilla to much. Drugs were probably the only true escape for him which is so sad. I ofter wonder what would have happened if his father put him in the back of a truck (tough love) and drove around with him until he went thru his withdrawls and did what he had to do. It's so disturbing that from what we read we know that his father only ever stood up to him when it came to money or a few times when it was to do with Dee.
    Good post, there were a lot of things that happened in his life that's for sure... The thing you touched on about his father being more tough with Elvis could have made a huge difference IMO, however Elvis had overshadowed his father in terms of career and financially! I believe that Vernon struggled to challenge Elvis because he wasn't as successful and this made him feel impotent.

  11. #151
    Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    in the cold Kentucky rain
    Posts
    7,513
    Quote Originally Posted by SheriLyn View Post
    Drugs were probably the only true escape for him which is so sad.
    One thing from your post that really stuck how to me was this.

    You are correct, as many around him also have said, they were his escape from the problems in his life. And i don't doubt that statement one bit.
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977


  12. #152
    TCB Mafia EnigmaticSun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Beucha
    Posts
    1,754

    moving

    Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Some do not believe in shrinks - nor their conclusions. But I think it's pretty well accepted that the choices we make as adults is to a degree affected by many things we experience even as tots - we just do not always make the connections.
    I found your story to be so moving and intense, I want to add another post. From what I've read you're so strong as to get a hold of yourself and to go on with living. There are other people who go through a traumatic experience and they just don't ever snap out of it. My mother had some issues and just got will-less and crazy. A 15-minute walk is like an Olympic performance to her.

    I too have had a very difficult childhood, nothing but being troubled by worries and seemingly being physically and verbally picked on by everybody. I was so used to "everything going wrong" that I now know how to enjoy and accept the brighter side of life.

    As for you or for Elvis, I can tell you don't give up. Of course Elvis died because of physical complications, but let's face the facts here: he was creative and being involved with music right until the very end. I don't know how others in such a difficult situation would perform, but Elvis just went on out of love for music and the fans, I don't think it's way out of line to say it was not just for the money.
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/999022_359272057534723_1223625887_n.jpg

    all the goons I left behind, memories still linger..

  13. #153
    TCB Mafia KPM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7,932
    Quote Originally Posted by LianaKaralivanou View Post
    I can see your point, KPM. I must admit that I agree with you. Yes, the choices that we make probably are connected with events, experiences and incidents in our past. And every person is unique, so the choices that he/she make in his/her life are unique as well. But still, they are OUR choices. Nobody else's. Yes, they can be afected by someone else or a previous event or a trauma as a kid but they are our choices. And we can't go on in our lives blaming those events or blaming other people. We must try to find a solution. Some may call it shrink, as you said in your post. And I believe in shrinks. I do. Maybe Elvis wasn;t strog enough to deal with these problems. Or maybe he was tired enough, who knows?
    Please do not confuse my understanding of the problems I've had with absolute conquering of things which have caused me problems. There is a false idea some have that if you figure out what causes your problems then they magically go away-once again for some that may be true but not all. I still can not be in tight small places-I get tight in my chest, my breathing becomes fast and my pulse goes up. Everyone does make their own choices but if you have been blessed with good parents, a stable childhood economically and mentally, good genes etc. your choices are coming from "positive situations which shaped you" So it will always be hard for those who have been shaped by positive situtation in their childhood-to identify with those who are not so blessed. I understand that, its where we all came from and in a way it makes my point IMO
    I mean no disrespect to anyone who has been blessed with a good childhood and all that entails. People blessed with good genes who have few mental or physical problems which affect them-I am happy it is so. I would have liked to have had those options as a child-but they do not ask you what you want as you are born. You are dropped into whatever life your parents have and your formative years are "ruled" by their decisions. You have no choice in the gene department, and some of your health concerns (mental and physical) will be greatly influenced by those. But its just how I see it, from the life I've lived and what I've seen.
    The thing I have learned is "MY PATH, IS MY PATH" I and only I walk it. When a leaf falls in that path I have to decide how to get over it-and my mind makes a decision based on a billion impulses I do not even know are happening in my brain and I step left, right, or over it- to get back on path.
    Why my brain makes that choice I have no clue, but at that moment I think its the right move.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Similar Threads

  1. The Religious Life of Elvis Presley
    By cprimm in forum Articles
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-06-2010, 12:08 AM
  2. Elvis presley life from a-z
    By presley in forum Elvis Presley
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-10-2006, 05:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •