Thread: Elvis in the Middle East??

Elvis in the Middle East??

I just read that in the 1970s Elvis was offered $5 million to stage a concert in front of the Pyramids in Egypt. When the Colonel declined the offer, Saudi billionaires raised the offer to $10 million. I've never heard this. Does anyone know if there is some truth to this??
    "More people today should see him not simply as a performer, but as an artist with a great soul."

John Bakke, professor emeritus
    University of Memphis

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    I remember an exuse Colonel always gave Elvis was the reason they couldn't play overseas in the outside auditioriums was because of security problems. Thats BS. He was Elvis Presley, he could've had the national gaurd as security had he needed it.
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

Quote Originally Posted by Col Jon Burrows View Post
    I remember an exuse Colonel always gave Elvis was the reason they couldn't play overseas in the outside auditioriums was because of security problems. Thats BS. He was Elvis Presley, he could've had the national gaurd as security had he needed it.
    Yes, this I know. Security, Col.'s U. S. citizenship and other reasons that have been used to NOT tour Europe and other countries outside U. S.; however, I have never heard of an offer to go to the Middle East.
    "More people today should see him not simply as a performer, but as an artist with a great soul."

John Bakke, professor emeritus
    University of Memphis

I hope it is real,and Elvis should have done it.man wouldnt that have been amazing? 2 of the world wonders together,ELvis and the pyramids

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    It would have been amazing..a challenge he really could've used!!
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

Could have been the start of something big! He wasn't intending on visiting the Valley of the Kings, right?

Anyway, I also know he was offered by prince Bernhard from the Netherlands to perform there, I think it was in 1971 - but it was never to be.

The closest thing to the Middle East was Harum, Scarum though.
    Last edited by EnigmaticSun; 06-05-2008 at 10:05 AM. Reason: minor error
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/999022_359272057534723_1223625887_n.jpg

all the goons I left behind, memories still linger..

I have read offers like this in books before- but this one I do not recall ever hearing or reading anywhere. I'm sure its possible offers came in which the Col. turned down which have not made it into books but I have never heard this one.

I've never heard of this before...sounds interesting I'm sure Elvis would have loved to do this, it would have been really amazing! I know Elvis also always wanted to go on a tour outside the US, to Europe for example. In some interviews he mentioned he wanted to come back to Germany for a big tour. So sad all this never happened

I never heard this one either.

Forever Best Friends

Quote Originally Posted by Pelvis View Post
    I hope it is real,and Elvis should have done it.man wouldnt that have been amazing? 2 of the world wonders together,ELvis and the pyramids
    Yeah, amazing and hard to top !

Today you can just visit Europe and you get the Middle East for free.

I've had my doubts about the Colonel. He was one tricky fox though.
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/999022_359272057534723_1223625887_n.jpg

all the goons I left behind, memories still linger..