Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1316171819202122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: TCB - Philosophical Debate

Re: TCB - Philosophical Debate

Quote Originally Posted by franny View Post
    I agree with you, Gail. I do think Elvis would have liked Lisa having multi- millions...why wouldn't he? Lisa never has to struggle!
    I agree with you too Franny. What parent wouldn't want that for their child? I would love for my kids to be mega-rich...hopefully I have raised them to care for others as well, and maybe they would use some of their millions for charities and/or research!

I don't know if you will get an answer about her meeting Elvis or Priscilla, I have asked several times...

franny
    Really???? I think that would be an easy enough question to answer!

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpsuit Junkie View Post
    I agree, The Elvis Duck is a good case in point..
    Hey...watch it Matt! EPE gave me one for my birthday! It's one of my most prized possesions.....NOT!

Quote Originally Posted by May View Post
    A friend just sent me this (one of my favourites
    YouTube - Elvis

Dont know if I post it here - or if it should be somewhere else.
    My absolute favorite song!!!!!

Forever Best Friends

I agree with you, Gail. I do think Elvis would have liked Lisa having multi- millions...why wouldn't he? Lisa never has to struggle!

I don't know if you will get an answer about her meeting Elvis or Priscilla, I have asked several times...

franny
    I agree too. Any caring parent would want their children to have freedom from financial worries...it goes with the territory.

Does the stuffed Elvis Stitch count as tacky Elvis memorabilia? I have him and he's sooooo cute!

Diane

Its funny Elvis's concept of rich-now a debate.
    Well he seemed to have very little inkling of business and of things like-inflation, taxes, insurance etc....
    if you had asked him,
    "How do you want your estate handled?"
    I'm pretty sure he would not have said...... in absolute detail-
    "Well I want the estate to be set up with tax shelters in the Bahamas which will be hard to trace, and which will keep most of my assets in Lisa's hands with little worry for taxes. I want insurance to be double indemnity in case I die in an accident so Lisa gets more money. I want a trust which is for her and her alone-which is protected by every law and clause possible to insure she is set for life"
    He would have said simply to his lawyers and bankers,
    "I want Dad and Grandma to live as they have and Lisa to get it all when they die and I want her to be free from money worries"
    .....Then "THEY"(lawyers and bankers) would set it all up legally and financially.
    He had no idea of taxes, wills, insurance, inflation, and what "free from money worry" might mean.... with him gone.
    They did and they accomplished it.
    He may not have wanted to be rich-but he sure lived a life which showed he appreciated how it worked.
    Plane trips to his favorite place for peanut butter sandwiches?
    Buying any and every motor vehicle that his heart desired.
    Diamond rings and furs for his young daughter.
    Waterfalls in his jungle room.
    Gold TCBs and huge jeweled rings and necklaces.
    Giving lavish gifts to strangers/friends/family.
    Helping friends/family when they were in hard times, etc...
    You can not do such things if you are not rich-and Elvis did these things.
    If he wanted to live like this-he would have wanted Lisa to live in similar fashion it would seem. He knew poor-and rich was better.
    Work in Progress!

Quote Originally Posted by utmom2008 View Post
    Really???? I think that would be an easy enough question to answer!
    Yes, I would have thought so, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Its funny Elvis's concept of rich-now a debate.
    Well he seemed to have very little inkling of business and of things like-inflation, taxes, insurance etc....
    if you had asked him,
    "How do you want your estate handled?"
    I'm pretty sure he would not have said...... in absolute detail-
    "Well I want the estate to be set up with tax shelters in the Bahamas which will be hard to trace, and which will keep most of my assets in Lisa's hands with little worry for taxes. I want insurance to be double indemnity in case I die in an accident so Lisa gets more money. I want a trust which is for her and her alone-which is protected by every law and clause possible to insure she is set for life"
    He would have said simply to his lawyers and bankers,
    "I want Dad and Grandma to live as they have and Lisa to get it all when they die and I want her to be free from money worries"
    .....Then "THEY"(lawyers and bankers) would set it all up legally and financially.
    He had no idea of taxes, wills, insurance, inflation, and what "free from money worry" might mean.... with him gone.
    They did and they accomplished it.
    He may not have wanted to be rich-but he sure lived a life which showed he appreciated how it worked.
    If he wanted to live like this-he would have wanted Lisa to live in similar fashion it would seem. He knew poor-and rich was better.
    Great post, Ken.

Yes, he sure knew poor...and rich was better! And better for Lisa and her kids.

franny

Quote Originally Posted by MissyM View Post
    Elvis didn't even want to be that rich himself. Why would he want his daughter to be wildly rich.
    Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post

I guess we tend to forget, although Elvis was talented, rich, beautiful, he wasn't a businessman by any stretch of the imagination. He didnt go to college or get a degree, so he couldnt expect to be... Look at how his parents made a living.

We are all bright in lots of different ways. If I tried to be a sex symbol, sing and perform in front of an audience (not that I would even try!), people either wouldnt come and see me ... or those that do would laugh (quite rightly!)

Elvis was brilliant at what he did. He just trusted the wrong people/person to look after the business side of his affairs.

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar

Great post Ken, I believe that Elvis would have wanted Lisa to be spared the humble lifestyle that he had during his upbringing. An important factor to add is that Elvis didn't know he was going to die on August 16th 1977 at the age of 42, I suppose most people plan on living until their 60's or 70's and always plan on getting round to things in the near future...

I guess we tend to forget, although Elvis was talented, rich, beautiful, he wasn't a businessman by any stretch of the imagination. He didnt go to college or get a degree, so he couldnt expect to be...
    That's EXACTLY what I have been saying about Priscilla, and wether or not she "alone" saved Graceland!

Quote Originally Posted by utmom2008 View Post
    That's EXACTLY what I have been saying about Priscilla, and wether or not she "alone" saved Graceland!
    Who would we blame if opening Graceland wouldn't have been a success?

TCB Mafia

I guess we tend to forget, although Elvis was talented, rich, beautiful, he wasn't a businessman by any stretch of the imagination. He didnt go to college or get a degree, so he couldnt expect to be... Look at how his parents made a living.

We are all bright in lots of different ways. If I tried to be a sex symbol, sing and perform in front of an audience (not that I would even try!), people either wouldnt come and see me ... or those that do would laugh (quite rightly!)

Elvis was brilliant at what he did. He just trusted the wrong people/person to look after the business side of his affairs.
    I think Elvis should've cared more and been more interested in the business decisions of his career but he didn't want to learn about it he just wanted to sing and entertain his fans.

Absolutely right. I remember reading about a discussion he had with either Vernon or Joe about paying tax, and Elvis was rather dismissive and saying 'just pay however much they ask for and dont worry about it'. As long as he had enough for what he wanted, he just didnt care. Which is fair enough I suppose, it was his money.

MissyM

It's a far cry from the kind of wealth Elvis had and how he enjoyed it, and the kind Lisa and Priscilla have. Huge wealth can be a cross to bare and isn't always a blessing. Has that sort of wealth served her well?? Has the vehicle by which she got it served Elvis well?? Has it honored his memory well? Money doesn't alway make people happy. Did it make Elvis happy? Was there a downside?? Money can't buy happiness, I think he wanted her to be happy, first and foremost. Does money translate into happiness?
    Yet another debate that will no doubt have differing opinions.

Does money translate into happiness?
    I don't know....but I would sure welcome the chance to find out!

Me too 'utmom2008' me too!

TCB Mafia

Money doesn't alway make people happy. Did it make Elvis happy? Was there a downside?? Money can't buy happiness . Does money translate into happiness?
    Depends on how you look at

If I had millions of dollars that would make me very happy

I think if Elvis was unhappy it had to do with other things not the wealth that he had.

I think the whole fame killed (insert any deceased famous person) or the money killed this individual (insert deceased famous and Wealthy person) has been overblown for Elvis and other celebrities I mean seriously if you had asked Elvis if he would give up all his wealth and fame and go back to being a poor barely getting by truck driver he would've said no way same thing for other famous people.
    I do think what actually killed Elvis was he got addicted to prescription drugs and wasn't able to overcome his addictions and as the years went by it got worse that killed him. Now I do think it made it easier for him to obtain the prescribed medication because he was famous but even if he weren't famous there are ways to get that stuff. If Elvis was unhappy it had to do with his career most likely like in the mid 60's he was unhappy over the bad movies he had to make and in the 70's he wanted to tour overseas and do a couple of other things that he wasn't doing.

SleepyJack

I don`t think that there is any doubt that Elvis would have wanted only the best for Lisa Marie... and I`m sure that somebody along the way must have pointed out to him that the financial situation was not great.... the thing is, does this mean that Elvis was never expecting to die as soon as he did? Maybe he thought that he had plenty of time left to make more money and didn`t see how things really were?..just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyJack View Post
    .... the thing is, does this mean that Elvis was never expecting to die as soon as he did? Maybe he thought that he had plenty of time left to make more money and didn`t see how things really were?..just a thought.
    But why did he make his last will only a few months before he died then?

It's a far cry from the kind of wealth Elvis had and how he enjoyed it, and the kind Lisa and Priscilla have. Huge wealth can be a cross to bare and isn't always a blessing. Has that sort of wealth served her well?? Has the vehicle by which she got it served Elvis well?? Has it honored his memory well? Money doesn't alway make people happy. Did it make Elvis happy? Was there a downside?? Money can't buy happiness, I think he wanted her to be happy, first and foremost. Does money translate into happiness?Yet another debate that will no doubt have differing opinions.
    I think most will agree that money does not translate into happiness-every minute of every day for a lifetime. But having lived superpoor-rich and miserable has to be better than poor and miserable.
    Work in Progress!