Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 9121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: TCB - Philosophical Debate

Re: TCB - Philosophical Debate

I read this question on another web page and thought it would be interesting to see what opinions were.

Lots of fans (not all) complain about Priscilla and the way she runs EPE (rightly or wrongly), if you were in her position back in 1979, what would you have done?

Quote Originally Posted by May View Post
    if you were in her position back in 1979, what would you have done?
    Putting side the fact that Priscilla is a coniving shrew who knew exactly what to do to get her hands on the loot ...

... if it were me in that position back then, I would have ensured Graceland was deemed an historical site, then given over to the state of Tennessee to be looked after in perpetuity ...

... and never, ever open it to the public!
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

MissyM

It should have been sold to a wonderful family and all the personal things put in storage. Everyone thinks oh that would be terrible but the place is now void of what it was intended for.

Wonderful post Lonniebealestreet!

Diane

Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post
    Putting side the fact that Priscilla is a coniving shrew who knew exactly what to do to get her hands on the loot ...

... if it were me in that position back then, I would have ensured Graceland was deemed an historical site, then given over to the state of Tennessee to be looked after in perpetuity ...

... and never, ever open it to the public!
    Yes Getlo, putting that aside, JUST for the moment!
    Do you seriously think money was all Priscilla had on her mind, and not given Lisa a second thought?

Quote Originally Posted by Lonniebealestreet View Post
    You know...and let me first say this isn't like an official moderating team response here but...

Take a few steps back here everybody and think for a moment. If we were to organize a big gathering in Memphis one of these years like we've only so far fantasized about doing, I sincerely think that we would have the best **** time together and could talk and talk and talk for days about all things Elvis and beyond, and basically just have a blast.

We come from very different backgrounds and are divided geographically, philosophically, religiously, culturally, you-name-it-ly, but we are brought together by our love or interest or fascination or unhealthy obsession with Elvis. And you know, he was basically a good dude, right? Aside from being immensely talented, the guy (with occasional out of character exception) was extremely gracious and a loving brother to all human beings. He cared when people were hurt, he loved making people happy, and he showed people respect whether they had earned it or not. While some people's interest in EP may only be in his music, I suspect that most are attracted to the whole person and the traits I just named are a huge part of that. That makes me believe that most everyone here has similar leanings.

Therefore, I think it's worth re-evaluating how we all conduct ourselves here and interact with others who share this common interest. Like with family members, especially if you are on here a lot it is easy to get caught up in some petty differences and let remarks slip that you probably don't really mean...or if you really mean them at the time you might realize if we had the meeting like mentioned above that you would regret them.

It's so easy as well to read things into the written word that aren't there and to misinterpret things because of language differences or because someone is being sarcastic but that isn't apparent, or vice-versa.

These types of things really are insignificant and need to be avoided and ignored whenever possible. Exercise some willpower in this regard and you'll be glad later that you did, I promise. Alienation of others and yourself can otherwise result and if you are creating an atmosphere on TCB-World that is unwelcoming to others, that will simply not be allowed to continue.

I know that this thread was created with an intention of straight talk and an airing of grievances, etc., but it's not as though anything goes. It's not like that EP quote about night-time: "It's like God ain't watching."

I meant to keep this post on the light side but I found myself wearing my moderator hat a little more than I had intended. It is because I care about this 'place' and everyone's enjoyment of it that I had to add such commentary. Please don't take it lightly. But mainly I just wanted to suggest that we all take a step back and remember why we come here, and that behind some perhaps unfriendly words on your computer screen are people who in person wouldn't be that way at all. It's best to not get caught up in on-screen personas and reputations and let yourself be ruled by your ego.

Think about it. Thanks.
    I echo your comment lonnie.... we just beg to differ at times.lol
    elvislady

Sorry, my computer wont let me add a new post. I wanted to change the subject slightly (well, a lot really) No one ever mentions Patsy Presley. Does anyone have any information on what she is doing now?

I'll give $1000 to anyone who can explain what this means, or what relevance it has to any previous post on this thread.
    Well, I could use some cash Maybe Genie means it may not be her in the photo, but could be one of her daughters..

franny

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MissyM View Post
    It should have been sold to a wonderful family and all the personal things put in storage. Everyone thinks oh that would be terrible but the place is now void of what it was intended for.
    Hmm, not sure about that, when I first read you post I thought what a wonderful Idea to have a family in the house to hear children running etc, then I thought about the fact some shady Elvis fan would have bought the house and turned it into something worse than what it is now.

Despite my dislike of Priscilla, for the most part Graceland is pretty much a snapshot of roughly how it used to be with a bit of poetic licence. I understand the house is not a home but that ceased to happen for the most part when Elvis and Vernon died. Graceland is a museum housing Elvis artefacts and it will never have the feeling of a home again IMO.

Graceland could never be sold now, even if it was, I seriously think it would fall into the hands of some unscrupulous douche bag who's soul intend would be to make money out of Elvis.

The only possible way for it to become a family home again is if Lisa decided to close the doors and move back in, however I seriously doubt she would want the house to look like it did when her father lived there.

TCB Mafia

I read this question on another web page and thought it would be interesting to see what opinions were.

Lots of fans (not all) complain about Priscilla and the way she runs EPE (rightly or wrongly), if you were in her position back in 1979, what would you have done?

Priscilla didn't run it by herself

She was a co-executor

So if fans really hate the way Graceland was being run in the early years part of the blame should go to the other executors.

Truth be told I think the other executors who had the business experience and knowledge did all the work came up with the plan for Graceland and Priscilla did absolutely nothing though she takes full credit for the success of Graceland and fans think it was her which is sadly not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonniebealestreet View Post
    You know...and let me first say this isn't like an official moderating team response here but...

Take a few steps back here everybody and think for a moment. If we were to organize a big gathering in Memphis one of these years like we've only so far fantasized about doing, I sincerely think that we would have the best **** time together and could talk and talk and talk for days about all things Elvis and beyond, and basically just have a blast.

We come from very different backgrounds and are divided geographically, philosophically, religiously, culturally, you-name-it-ly, but we are brought together by our love or interest or fascination or unhealthy obsession with Elvis. And you know, he was basically a good dude, right? Aside from being immensely talented, the guy (with occasional out of character exception) was extremely gracious and a loving brother to all human beings. He cared when people were hurt, he loved making people happy, and he showed people respect whether they had earned it or not. While some people's interest in EP may only be in his music, I suspect that most are attracted to the whole person and the traits I just named are a huge part of that. That makes me believe that most everyone here has similar leanings.

Therefore, I think it's worth re-evaluating how we all conduct ourselves here and interact with others who share this common interest. Like with family members, especially if you are on here a lot it is easy to get caught up in some petty differences and let remarks slip that you probably don't really mean...or if you really mean them at the time you might realize if we had the meeting like mentioned above that you would regret them.

It's so easy as well to read things into the written word that aren't there and to misinterpret things because of language differences or because someone is being sarcastic but that isn't apparent, or vice-versa.

These types of things really are insignificant and need to be avoided and ignored whenever possible. Exercise some willpower in this regard and you'll be glad later that you did, I promise. Alienation of others and yourself can otherwise result and if you are creating an atmosphere on TCB-World that is unwelcoming to others, that will simply not be allowed to continue.

I know that this thread was created with an intention of straight talk and an airing of grievances, etc., but it's not as though anything goes. It's not like that EP quote about night-time: "It's like God ain't watching."

I meant to keep this post on the light side but I found myself wearing my moderator hat a little more than I had intended. It is because I care about this 'place' and everyone's enjoyment of it that I had to add such commentary. Please don't take it lightly. But mainly I just wanted to suggest that we all take a step back and remember why we come here, and that behind some perhaps unfriendly words on your computer screen are people who in person wouldn't be that way at all. It's best to not get caught up in on-screen personas and reputations and let yourself be ruled by your ego.

Think about it. Thanks.
    Fantastic post, Bobby.

I think even though we all may have different opinions or view points, it doesn't mean we all can't be civil to each other..

franny
    Last edited by franny; 05-09-2009 at 04:43 PM. Reason: spelling error

MissyM

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpsuit Junkie View Post
    Hmm, not sure about that, when I first read you post I thought what a wonderful Idea to have a family in the house to hear children running etc, then I thought about the fact some shady Elvis fan would have bought the house and turned it into something worse than what it is now.

Despite my dislike of Priscilla, for the most part Graceland is pretty much a snapshot of roughly how it used to be with a bit of poetic licence. I understand the house is not a home but that ceased to happen for the most part when Elvis and Vernon died. Graceland is a museum housing Elvis artefacts and it will never have the feeling of a home again IMO.

Graceland could never be sold now, even if it was, I seriously think it would fall into the hands of some unscrupulous douche bag who's soul intend would be to make money out of Elvis.

The only possible way for it to become a family home again is if Lisa decided to close the doors and move back in, however I seriously doubt she would want the house to look like it did when her father lived there.
    Once it was opened, there was no way it was ever going to become Lisa's "home". Lisa is a California girl, just like her mom. Lisa has complained about CA. forever and the bad side, and how she'd like to move...but she never does. She and Priscilla have liked the lifestyle for whatever reason. (not saying it's a bad thing) But obviously she is no "southern gal" wanting to live in Memphis. Her mother wasn't very long either.
    What has happened to other Hollywood stars homes? It a fact that they get sold. And if Priscilla and the co-executors cared so much about Elvis they could have found a buyer who would have been the right one.
    In my heart of hearts, knowing Elvis, Gladys, and the family and what Graceland meant to them, how they guarded their privacy, how they valued her, I feel that would have honored their memories better. And I think it would have lived up to what Graceland was meant to be. A place where many were welcomed, a place of pride, real family Christmas's, real Easter Egg hunts, and real love and laughter.
    About the Graves, graves are moved all the time and there are ways of making them more secure. (if someone wants to)
    There is a warehouse full of personal items. I've said it before, some could have been actioned off. The Trust would still have made more than enough money, especially after the Col. was sued.
    And for gosh sake, someone would have taken in the relatives.
    I mean this stuff happens all the time. That's why I don't see the option as unusual. How many people are living in homes other stars owned once?
    But here is the one big factor that effected this. Priscilla had the second half of her settlement coming. His debt to her was null and void upon his death.
    If you read the will it clearly makes allowances, (as do most) for it being sold. Weather Vernon did or someone did after Vernon died, the possibility is legally taken care of. Instructons are given for the profits and how they would be allocated from the New Trust.
    There is also a clause that keeps some debtors from making a claim on the trust. Therefore the trust would not have to pay Priscilla. So while Elvis did put a rider on the house, he also made sure that if he died, that wouldn't be paid out. The will could have cancelled out the rider.
    Therefore, Priscilla would have a dead gravy train on her hands. She would have been able to get money out for Lisa but not for herself. But as Executor with it opened, she would be paid something for her work.
    So the only option for her at the time to be able to make money off of Elvis was to open it up. You don't think she was going to eat that last half of her settlement do you??
    Last edited by MissyM; 05-08-2009 at 06:19 PM.

Yes Getlo, putting that aside, JUST for the moment!
    Do you seriously think money was all Priscilla had on her mind, and not given Lisa a second thought?
    Obviously, she wanted to protect Lisa.

But when Vernon was on his last legs, Cilla wormed her way back into the fold with him and coldly, calculatedly set her sights on gaining back what she believed was rightfully "hers". She cajoled and manipulated the poor old bastard so she ended up with part of the estate; a part that gave her control later on.

Her acting and TV career had tanked. She had failed at running a business. Elvis was dead, and the payments from him had stopped and her money was running out. Elvis' provisions from the Will looked after Lisa but not Cilla, at least not to the extent she was used to/ Vernon and the money were her last hope of survival.

Make no mistake, Cilla is an intelligent, conniving, two-faced manipulator.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

I have two homes, and have been on the road, normally I live inSeattle and Spokane area..

Red face Re: TCB - Philosophical Debate

Quote Originally Posted by franny View Post
    Well, I could use some cash Maybe Genie means it may not be her in the photo, but could be one of her daughters..

franny
    Well, that is what I did say......................LOLOL how do you keep idenity secret if you post your true self?

"I just wanna be......your Teddy Bear"

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Priscilla didn't run it by herself

She was a co-executor

So if fans really hate the way Graceland was being run in the early years part of the blame should go to the other executors.

Truth be told I think the other executors who had the business experience and knowledge did all the work came up with the plan for Graceland and Priscilla did absolutely nothing though she takes full credit for the success of Graceland and fans think it was her which is sadly not the case.

No, I know she doesnt run it by herself. In fact, I would imagine she was only a very small cog in a pretty big wheel - at the beginning at least.

Another thing I would like to know, why on earth didnt she leave it as it was when Elvis died? why did she change it to the decor of "when she lived there" ? She certainly wasn’t thinking of the fans, I know I would want to see it as Elvis left it, not how she wants to remember it.

Obviously, she wanted to protect Lisa.

But when Vernon was on his last legs, Cilla wormed her way back into the fold with him and coldly, calculatedly set her sights on gaining back what she believed was rightfully "hers". She cajoled and manipulated the poor old bastard so she ended up with part of the estate; a part that gave her control later on.

Her acting and TV career had tanked. She had failed at running a business. Elvis was dead, and the payments from him had stopped and her money was running out. Elvis' provisions from the Will looked after Lisa but not Cilla, at least not to the extent she was used to/ Vernon and the money were her last hope of survival.

Make no mistake, Cilla is an intelligent, conniving, two-faced manipulator.
    Indeed.

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar

Excuse me but I don't think I have injected any negatives just offered an opinion. If you think that Elvis' home could have been sold to some lovely family and that the trustee's would have taken the time to do that, then far be it for me to put forward my opinion to the contrary.

We are talking about one of the biggest stars EVER born, not some small time Hollywood star. Once the property had been sold there would be no telling who the house would have be sold too down the line.

I believe it is naive to think Graceland wasn't going to draw fans there even if it was sold to another family.

MissyM

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpsuit Junkie View Post
    Excuse me but I don't think I have injected any negatives just offered an opinion. If you think that Elvis' home could have been sold to some lovely family and that the trustee's would have taken the time to do that, then far be it for me to put forward my opinion to the contrary.

We are talking about one of the biggest stars EVER born, not some small time Hollywood star. Once the property had been sold there would be no telling who the house would have be sold too down the line.

I believe it is naive to think Graceland wasn't going to draw fans there even if it was sold to another family.
    You pointed out the negative side of selling it. That was my point. Of course there are always pros and cons. And there is nothing wrong with pointing them out. I just don't think it would have been as big a deal. No, no telling who would have bought it, but as I pointed out...if the people involved care about it's preservation so much to open it, surely they would have used the same caution and care in selling it I figure. That to me is a valid point as well.
    And I would beg to differ on the fact that at the time Elvis was the biggest star ever. Biggest Star Ever is a relative idea.
    On one hand people point out that his personal effects would not have brought in that much money if part of them were auctioned off. (there is a wherehouse full remember) But he was the biggest Star ever. IMO the two ideas don't match.
    And I contend, that the provisions of the will were like most famous people. There is nothing in it that implicates that it would be held for Lisa much less opened to the public.
    I'm a big nut when it comes to honoring the wishes in a will, and what someone would be ok with having done to their property and personal effects. They were his, he worked for them, busted his butt for years. It was his right and no one elses to deem what be done with them.
    But the bottom line here is that could have been followed. There was no good reason at all to open Graceland up. Yes, many say there was no other choice. That is right. There was no other choice if........it was to be kept for Lisa as a means of making money. And for a means for Priscilla to make a living at the time.
    If it was so near and dear to the hearts of these women they would have spent more time there. The didn't and haven't.
    It has been used for the purpose Priscilla intended. A cash cow period IMO. I don't care what she says. She had bitter sweet memories of the place. She got out of there and began spenging all her time in CA, not in her lovely home in Memphis. That's how much she loved the place.

TCB Mafia

No, I know she doesnt run it by herself. In fact, I would imagine she was only a very small cog in a pretty big wheel - at the beginning at least.

Another thing I would like to know, why on earth didnt she leave it as it was when Elvis died? why did she change it to the decor of "when she lived there" ? She certainly wasn’t thinking of the fans, I know I would want to see it as Elvis left it, not how she wants to remember it.
    That's easy

She didn't like the color red that Elvis had it decorated with when he died
    so she turned it back to blue when she lived there.
    She wanted Graceland to be all about her.

She began putting down Linda Thompson for decorating Graceland in red saying Elvis really didn't like it that way and that Linda had tacky taste even though it was Elvis who had it decorated red not Linda.

If it was so near and dear to the hearts of these women they would have spent more time there. The didn't and haven't.
    It has been used for the purpose Priscilla intended. A cash cow period IMO. I don't care what she says. She had bitter sweet memories of the place. She got out of there and began spenging all her time in CA, not in her lovely home in Memphis. That's how much she loved the place.
    I totally agree with you Missy, BUT, for my own selfish reasons I'm glad she that she chose to make it a cash cow. I won't deny that I love being there......