Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151619 ... LastLast

Thread: TCB - Philosophical Debate

Quote Originally Posted by buttonhead View Post
    I see... I missed that point

I just came back after 2 years 'asleep' from this forum.. thanks for correcting me...

I just read the latest posters...and i thought to myself...what on earth are these all about
    I hope that you don't think I was correcting you...that was the original intent. JJ started the first one back in December and after a few months it was accidentally erased, so it was started over.

Quote Originally Posted by utmom2008 View Post
    I guess you shouldn't have talked about those "bald-headed toothless virgins".

Has someone been talking 'bout me??????

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Trout View Post
    Has someone been talking 'bout me??????
    Absolutely NOT!!!! The "bald-headed toothless virgin" did NOT own a pair of red SUPER PERV tights!!!

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post
    If people want to discuss Priscilla or anything in the appropriate threads ... LET THEM!
    It's really simple as that. Theres always something for everybody here imo to find something to discuss, so lets keep it that way.

Elvis has been gone for 31 years, of course we are going to talk about the same issues more than once especially the more new members join and haven't gotten the oppurtunity to give their opinions on the matters at hand.
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar
    Why oh why can't people just post in the threads they want to?

Why can't people discuss what they want to?

If you don't like a topic, stay away from that thread.

It's VERY, VERY simple, read the thread title, if it appeals to you contribute, if it doesn't, very likely it will contain topics that you DON'T like.

If a thread goes in a direction you don't like PM a moderator who will make a judgement as to whether it needs to get back on topic.

If you make contributions that are inflammatory, expect the response to be appropriate to your comments!

Please understand that there are going to be threads that you don't like! People need to get over the fact that the darker side of Elvis' life is going to be discussed (ad nauseum) the superficial side of Elvis' life is going to be discussed (ad nauseum).

If you want to discuss 'Elvis' smile' start a thread and I'm sure like minded people will contribute. If you want to discuss 'Elvis' dark side' like minded people or those interested will join this conversation. Nowhere is it mentioned that you can't discuss whatever you want, as long as you follow the forum rules and avoid inflammatory descriptions for the most part we should get along just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by presley31 View Post
    I didn't think you owned what we are entiled to say on here geez l learn something new everyday
    No, but you seem to think you are!

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpsuit Junkie View Post
    Why oh why can't people just post in the threads they want to?

Why can't people discuss what they want to?

If you don't like a topic, stay away from that thread.
    Understand now, people?!!

It's a perfectly simple concept ... or it should be!
    Last edited by Getlo; 08-13-2008 at 05:19 AM.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

I feel there's a difference in posting on a thread you don't agree with to give your reasons why you don't agree with it as opposed to posting on it just to put down someone you feel you don't like what they had to say.

Diane

Quote Originally Posted by Col Jon Burrows View Post
    It's really simple as that. Theres always something for everybody here imo to find something to discuss, so lets keep it that way.

Elvis has been gone for 31 years, of course we are going to talk about the same issues more than once especially the more new members join and haven't gotten the oppurtunity to give their opinions on the matters at hand.
    That is an uderstatement
    I may not like a topic-but if I feel there is a side or point of view being dismissed, or left out-thats when I post-even on subjects I think we have covered OVER AND OVER AND OVER-as Matt said "ad nauseum"
    I guess most of us post even on topics which have been covered
    "ad nauseum" because we feel we have something to add which gives a more rounded balanced view-even when the topics are not the fun ones.
    If you feel the world is all black and white you are going to look, and view things in a much different way than people (like myself) who see lots of gray-and thats why I post on unpleasant subjects. Not that I like getting into heated disagreements-but if I did not post-then I'd feel I was not being true to myself. Not just here but in all things.

Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    I feel there's a difference in posting on a thread you don't agree with to give your reasons why you don't agree with it as opposed to posting on it just to put down someone you feel you don't like what they had to say.
    Diane
    You are correct and on the money!

Loving elvis

Diane
    well said diane

Coming On Strong
    Diane, I'm in complete agreement with your post.

Needless put downs from people when questions are asked or comments made, rather makes a poster feel stupid.

i.e. "do you really have to ask that" "if you don't see it that way, you're a *****" etc.etc.etc.

I probably read this board 6 months before I joined it and have 30 posts? That 'tis not many for someone who is a member. When I do post, I tire very quickly from the above type of retorts and I choose not to participate (my choice, yes). Perhaps that is why there are so many members listed by the number and not so many new posters.

The word previous to the etc. etc. I chose was "*****", are we not allowed to use that word, certainly it has been used many times before.

m
    o
    r
    o
    n
    is the word I used.

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Rain View Post
    Diane, I'm in complete agreement with your post.

Needless put downs from people when questions are asked or comments made, rather makes a poster feel stupid.

i.e. "do you really have to ask that" "if you don't see it that way, you're a *****" etc.etc.etc.

I probably read this board 6 months before I joined it and have 30 posts? That 'tis not many for someone who is a member. When I do post, I tire very quickly from the above type of retorts and I choose not to participate (my choice, yes). Perhaps that is why there are so many members listed by the number and not so many new posters.

The word previous to the etc. etc. I chose was "*****", are we not allowed to use that word, certainly it has been used many times before.

m
    o
    r
    o
    n
    is the word I used.

I've seen it used before - maybe they added it to the list of naughty words!! Maybe the word ***** should be added as well cause I see that one used quite often too!!

Forever Best Friends

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar
    It would seem we need to revive this thread again to see if we can't clear up some issues that have arisen of late, I will get the ball rolling:-

I'm really not sure what to do with the first issue and will see what the strength of feeling from the members is first before taking it back to the moderators!

1. People and user names, I am happy for people to use whatever name they wish too, however the problem that arises is when people make claims to which the varsity is questioned, this in turn leads to cries for burden of proof etc, with the inevitable outcome being a spiral of tit for tat responses.

2. Whilst the moderating team is here to moderate, we are not here to babysit a few individual who seem to wish to take every opportunity to insult & name call each other at every opportunity they can get.

Obviously people will have their views on the above, lets be civil

It would seem we need to revive this thread again to see if we can't clear up some issues that have arisen of late, I will get the ball rolling:-

I'm really not sure what to do with the first issue and will see what the strength of feeling from the members is first before taking it back to the moderators!

1. People and user names, I am happy for people to use whatever name they wish too, however the problem that arises is when people make claims to which the varsity is questioned, this in turn leads to cries for burden of proof etc, with the inevitable outcome being a spiral of tit for tat responses.

2. Whilst the moderating team is here to moderate, we are not here to babysit a few individual who seem to wish to take every opportunity to insult & name call each other at every opportunity they can get.

Obviously people will have their views on the above, lets be civil
    I think you are correct about the inevitable tit for tat.
    IMO- in order to have some credibility on any subject-not just Elvis-you have to prove your credentials. This is how we decide who is on the level, who has true expert knowledge of any given subject. Someone can say they are a doctor-but they better have a diploma on my wall and a followable trail to prove its legit.
    Now most of the Elvis world who have written books are in the open and on the record(whether you totally agree with them, or think they are liars) they have told their story as they saw it and they take the profit-but also the praise or hate of fans. These individuals have proved they have-"a diploma on the wall" they have a followable trail to Elvis no ifs ands or buts.
    So when someone does post and say they knew Elvis, they were just as close as the ones we all know-it is always going to end up with show us the diploma, show us the trail.
    I just do not see anything wrong with respectfullly asking this of them.
    That is my view.

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    IMO- in order to have some credibility on any subject-not just Elvis-you have to prove your credentials. This is how we decide who is on the level, who has true expert knowledge of any given subject. Someone can say they are a doctor-but they better have a diploma on my wall and a followable trail to prove its legit.
    Now most of the Elvis world who have written books are in the open and on the record(whether you totally agree with them, or think they are liars) they have told their story as they saw it and they take the profit-but also the praise or hate of fans. These individuals have proved they have-"a diploma on the wall" they have a followable trail to Elvis no ifs ands or buts.
    So when someone does post and say they knew Elvis, they were just as close as the ones we all know-it is always going to end up with show us the diploma, show us the trail.
    I just do not see anything wrong with respectfully asking this of them.
    That is my view.

I agree wholeheartedly. If someone knew Elvis, I think it's only right that they provide some solid proof besides word of mouth that they knew Elvis.

I am also in complete agreement with KPM and Tony. I find it very unfair for someone to say they have inside information that no one knows but them and refuse to share it or to provide where they got this information or who they are if they personally got that information. It's kind of a mean game and I feel in that case they have no right to be insulted when questioned and as someone said in one post....put up or shut up....simple as that. I don't have patience with mind games.

Another thing I find very annoying is I wish there was a quick way to get rid of people who use double identities to back themselves up or just cause havoc.

Diane

Southeastern Portion of These Here United States

Please understand that there are going to be threads that you don't like! People need to get over the fact that the darker side of Elvis' life is going to be discussed (ad nauseum) the superficial side of Elvis' life is going to be discussed (ad nauseum).

If you want to discuss 'Elvis' smile' start a thread and I'm sure like minded people will contribute. If you want to discuss 'Elvis' dark side' like minded people or those interested will join this conversation. Nowhere is it mentioned that you can't discuss whatever you want, as long as you follow the forum rules and avoid inflammatory descriptions for the most part we should get along just fine.
    Can't explain it any better than that.

Learn it...know it...live it
    "Don't tamper with the property of the U.S. Male"

Loving elvis
    Imo it you really know people that know elvis than its better to state the proof than going on forever saying my souce doesn't want to be known, well i'am sorry but thats just going to cause problems either way you look at it, but even with me and others saying this isn't going to change a thing.

I am also in complete agreement with KPM and Tony. I find it very unfair for someone to say they have inside information that no one knows but them and refuse to share it or to provide where they got this information or who they are if they personally got that information. It's kind of a mean game and I feel in that case they have no right to be insulted when questioned and as someone said in one post....put up or shut up....simple as that. I don't have patience with mind games.

Another thing I find very annoying is I wish there was a quick way to get rid of people who use double identities to back themselves up or just cause havoc.

Diane
    I know this comes as a shock, but I am in total agreement with Ken, Tony and Diane. I was the poster that said "put up or shut up"...seems as though most here feel that is a reasonable request.

As for the tit-for-tat name calling....there is still one member going after it big time, with no consequences. In fact...this poster seemed to completely miss that part of Jungleroom's warning was aimed in their direction. Same poster that has "thanked" Mike for basically reprimanding all the other "meanies" on this board. That has become simply mind-boggling.

Stop fighting and fussing already. Give consideration and attention to each other and listen to what Matt has offered, the best solution is to discuss threads with respect towards other members.

Elvis always was respectful.

I dream a world where man no other man
    will scorn. Where LOVE will bless the earth
    and peace its paths adorn...