Page 1 of 28 1234567811 ... LastLast

Thread: TCB - Philosophical Debate

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar

TCB - Philosophical Debate

Here we go again, Not sure how the last thread dissapeared. I hope Albert is able to recover the file.

As before this thread is here for people to blow of a little steam but still follow the forum rules.... I'm sure that this thread like its predecessor will be a little fractious, so if you can't stand the heat stay out of the kitchen! Please don't be personal or swear at others.

Have at it.......

Heartbreak Hotel, Room 11 Albert's Avatar
    yes, I still have no clue how that topic disappeared. I've looked through the logs (where all topic, forum and posts editing/deleting activity is logged) and couldn't find anything that was related to that topic.

I do have a backup of the database from a few days ago. I know for sure I have seen the topic a few days ago. I will try to extract that topic from the backup.

I do know that thanks to problems with the database/server of our webhost, I had to repair various entries in the database a few times the sunday and monday. This affected many new postings. I'm not sure if this repairing actually deleted posts or whole topics.

When someone posted a topic or thread during these periods of databasetroubles, and received a mysql error, sometime that field in the database became corrupt.

In short: I can assure you 100% that the original 'TCB - Philosophical Debate' topic hasn't been deleted by the moderators. We allow criticism to our moderating and rules (as longs as the discussion is respectful and doesn't turn out in to some sort of TCB bashing).

One warning though: we do not allow discussing of permanent or temporary bannings. If you want more information about it, contact the banned person. We do not hang out dirty laundry publicly.

I bet you do have a back-up , Albert.
    It's ok. There wasn't much in there that I could see, except toward the last when everyone started to voice their complaints and name names.
    Except it allowed the newer posters to not be so scared , as the worst offender cooled his insults to newer ones. He just refined his insults to appear to be follwing the rules.

BTW Matt:
    I have our PMs where we agreed we didn't like each other a long time ago.
    I'd much rather it be out in the open. I don't like secrets .
    "I have learned never to ridicule any man's opinion, however strange it may seem."

I don't know where to start? I hate to see the all out verbal wars which seem to crop up time after time. It distracts from our threads and it turns people into kids on the playground. When the point of a post is no longer to add to the discussion-but rather to "one up" someone else it seems to me you have gone off topic. Conversations normally lead to differing topics in a thread-but sometimes the original intent of the thread is lost and war begins. Respect is a two way street in any situation. Let me say IMO this is not rocket science. What we discuss does not cure cancer, nor somehow bring world peace (from what I've seen lately perhaps its best we aren't involved in that) But I would hope that our goal is to enjoy the Forum and the people who have taken time to come here to discuss a common interest- Elvis. I must say I do not agree with everything I see posted but when I don't-I try to tell them so with a modem of respect. (The time or two where I have failed in doing so-I have been deeply sorry for)
    By the same token I ask the same from those who disagree with my posts or ideas.
    Sure some people are way off base on any number of subjects-but if think you are going to change their minds by disrespect or anger IMO you dreaming. The only thing disrespect to someone else will bring is more disrespect to all involved.I'm all for spirited debate- but do not like the unnecessary wars of words, "the us against them feeling" Just my thoughts.
    Last edited by KPM; 06-03-2008 at 03:54 PM.

At the risk of being stoned by some of my Elvis fellows, I'd like to speak up for Getlo. Don't get me wrong, I like Gail and her stories very much as well as her humour and her sometimes ironic way of wording things. On account of the latter I was a little surprised that she had a problem with Getlo's way of expressing himself dryly. And like I stated before I don't like people being banned or posts being deleted at all, I find that childish and I don't think it will change anything. It's just a restriction of free speech.

A lot of people here are incredibly sensitive and term utterances as insults I would never consider as such. Most of the time 'trouble' starts when someone reacts emotional to posts even if they weren't aimed at them personally. Then I think we should be strong enough to handle the responses which are foreseeable to come.

When I first came here to TCB-world I knew little about Elvis life compared to what I have learned here in the meantime, and I must say a considerable part of it is due to fans like Getlo who might call themselves or are being called 'Elvis experts'....so what?....they share their knowledge with others and I can't find anything wrong with trying to get the facts straight and looking for the true story as precisely as possible.

There are others who claim to know mysterious people who knew Elvis inside out but who have to hide somewhere instead of standing up for their friend Elvis and finally tell 'the truth', and there are those who have been looking deeper but don't want to tell us what they found out.

Well, we all have the choice who to believe and most of the time I tend to opt for fans like Getlo and their interesting and informatory well worded humorous posts.

I don't understand the ones who like to judge who is the better fan, the older fan, the younger fan, the true fan, the fan who loves Elvis the most, the fan who cares....as if it was sort of a competition.

Especially for the 'Aloha thread' (or was it 'The Wests'?), ok both, I'd like to say that I find it was outstanding moderated, without big intervention (except Gail's ban!) and I also enjoyed reading JJ's posts very much.
    Last edited by Miss Clawdy; 06-03-2008 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Clawdy View Post
    At the risk of being stoned by some of my Elvis fellows, I'd like to speak up for Getlo. Don't get me wrong, I like Gail and her stories very much as well as her humour and her sometimes ironic way of wording things. On account of the latter I was a little surprised that she had a problem with Getlo's way of expressing himself dryly. And like I stated before I don't like people being banned or posts being deleted at all, I find that childish and I don't think it will change anything. It's just a restriction of free speech.

A lot of people here are incredibly sensitive and term utterances as insults I would never consider as such. Most of the time 'trouble' starts when someone reacts emotional to posts even if they weren't aimed at them personally. Then I think we should be strong enough to handle the responses which are foreseeable to come.

When I first came here to TCB-world I knew little about Elvis life compared to what I have learned here in the meantime, and I must say a considerable part of it is due to fans like Getlo who might call themselves or are being called 'Elvis experts'....so what?....they share their knowledge with others and I can't find anything wrong with trying to get the facts straight and looking for the true story as precisely as possible.

There are others who claim to know mysterious people who knew Elvis inside out but who have to hide somewhere instead of standing up for their friend Elvis and finally tell 'the truth', and there are those who have been looking deeper but don't want to tell us what they found out.

Well, we all have the choice who to believe and most of the time I tend to opt for fans like Getlo and their interesting and informatory well worded humorous posts.

I don't understand the ones who like to judge who is the better fan, the older fan, the younger fan, the true fan, the fan who loves Elvis the most, the fan who cares....as if it was sort of a competition.

Especially for the 'Aloha thread' (or was it 'The Wests'?), ok both, I'd like to say that I find it was outstanding moderated, without big intervention (except Gail's ban!) and I also enjoyed reading JJ's posts very much.
    In my opinion, there lies the challenge-if it is not meant as in insult-why word it in such a way where it can be confused as an insult? Just as easy to word it where no confusion or misunderstanding arises on all sides-once again just my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    In my opinion, there lies the challenge-if it is not meant as in insult-why word it in such a way where it can be confused as an insult? Just as easy to word it where no confusion or misunderstanding arises on all sides-once again just my thoughts.
    Agreed. I see no reason for smart *** comments from anyone.
    I've never seen you do it, nor anyone else. It doesn't hurt anyone to have manners.
    "I have learned never to ridicule any man's opinion, however strange it may seem."

I agree with you both KPM and Miss Clawdy and i´m amazed by the new attack the moderators modality and everyone at once attack to Getlo that happened today. THAT I found disrespectful, above all for the team that take the time, effort and i guess money to keep this site working for them, and that wouldn´t have to take part in others conflicts if they were grown up enough to know when to stop .

Loving elvis
    I think we all should keep in mind that we are here for elvis and everything in is life is interesting. If we leaned to skip the threads that annoy us, l really feel there won't be any problems on the threads, but of course thats not going to happen anytime soon. Its only natural for people to have different opinions and stick with them and really there is nothing wrong with that at all. Yes there always going to be disgree and agree on different threads, but its not that hard to state your opinions without annoying someone else or causing problems where there doesn't have to be and alittle respect for all members can go along way on forums, so maybe we should all give that a shot for now on when posing about things that cause heated discussions. Another thing l really didn't see to eye on things with gelto, but he does provide information and his facts aren't way off track, but l do sometimes see where the others are coming from too. When it comes to gelto l think you need a thick skin to take what he says cause in no way is getlo is a softee, so you just have to deal with it and move on. Its time to stop all the fussing cause to be honest alot of people don't like it and l doubt very much elvis would love all this bricking, after all we all here to chat and learn and give the knowlege.

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    Except it allowed the newer posters to not be so scared , as the worst offender cooled his insults to newer ones. He just refined his insults to appear to be follwing the rules.
    Agreed. I see no reason for smart *** comments from anyone.
    I've never seen you do it, nor anyone else. It doesn't hurt anyone to have manners.
    It appears as if we all should weigh our words...but Cameron, what you are doing is not a lot
    better than what others allegedly do

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Clawdy View Post
    It appears as if we all should weigh our words...but Cameron, what you are doing is not a lot
    better than what others allegedly do
    As you think. It's ok with me. You want Getlo, he's yours.
    IMO, he's full of it and loves hurting people. He's made it his lifes work.

I bet you do have a back-up , Albert.
    It's ok. There wasn't much in there that I could see, except toward the last when everyone started to voice their complaints and name names.

BTW Matt:
    I have our PMs where we agreed we didn't like each other a long time ago.
    I'd much rather it be out in the open. I don't like secrets .
    Cameron, I have no secrets. You may choose to express that you don't like me, that is your choice! I for one openly admit I have said things in haste or in the heat of the moment but get past it just as quickly, I don't hold grudges... Having read your comments in other threads I now understand that you find it hard to forgive. Even though that is the case I am willing to move on...

At the sake of repeating myself, I did NOT delete the original philosophical thread, To be perfectly honest I don't care if you believe me or not, Just wanted to state the fact for the record, I have nothing to hide.

P.S. if you want to post any private messages between ourselves please feel free. In fact I would prefer that you did so people don't speculate.

Thank you, you're too generous !
    I don't agree with you, I just wanted to point out that others (sorry you
    were just around doing it) are not as innocent as it may appear. And I don't
    have a problem with it, because I don't take everything personally.

You know the way the site has had trouble this last few days the idea that someone is hacking into it seems very plausable to me. If thats the case Personally I hope they have had their fun and are done. I know it must be hard to figure out what is the problem when things begin to go wrong. With our computer I know I dread it when things do not work properly. Although I am a little more computer savy now than a couple years ago.

Loving elvis
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumpsuit Junkie View Post
    Cameron, I have no secrets. You may choose to express that you don't like me, that is your choice! I for one openly admit I have said things in haste or in the heat of the moment but get past it just as quickly, I don't hold grudges... Having read your comments in other threads I now understand that you find it hard to forgive. Even though that is the case I am willing to move on...

At the sake of repeating myself, I did NOT delete the original philosophical thread, To be perfectly honest I don't care if you believe me or not, Just wanted to state the fact for the record, I have nothing to hide.
    P.S. if you want to post any private messages between ourselves please feel free. In fact I would prefer that you did so people don't speculate.

For the record, l never thought you deleted the thread , just the forum acting up like it has been for couple of days.

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    Just for the record, Getlo has never hurt my feelings.

He is straight forward with his opinions as anyone should be, and I enjoy his post.
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

Quote Originally Posted by presley31 View Post
    For the record, l never thought you deleted the thread , just the forum acting up like it has been for couple of days.
    Thank you for your support, it means a great deal

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpsuit Junkie View Post

I don't remember ever saying you deleted the original thread.

At youe request.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jumpsuit Junkie
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameron
    When someone is "warned" not to address another poster ...even to post an answer to claims made against them.It appears "sides" have been drawn and IMO, it all becomes a case of "conforming to what one person says"
    I'm not aware of any such rules in a true debate .

Cameron, you know why I have asked you not to comment on my posts, you attacked me, this point is not in dispute, you have commented on MY post when others have made comments that I KNOW YOU would have commented on if I had made them. There was no debate in you comments to my thread... shall we break it down?

Quote:
    Firstly, I have to ask what you mean by "getting the temperatures going."?

Provocative/Confrontational?

Quote:
    Next I have to remind us all that Elvis did try to fire Parker several times. Does anyone remember what happened?If not, read Careless Love again.

Condescending?

Quote:
    His life "is what it is." If we don't approve ; I wonder why we're here?

So by this comment am I to extrapolate what:-

Why am I on this site, how dare I debate Elvis' choices?

I should only praise Elvis, without question?

What other way is there to explain ' If we don't approve; I wonder why we're here?' I truly believe that comment steps over the mark, If it had been addressed to you the post would have been reported.

Quote:
    IMO; Elvis could have been a good actor if he had been given any encouragement to do what he wanted instead of focusing on how much money could be made off of him...or how many he had to support.
    It's why I liked Charro so much I think. The emphasis was taken off the singing and onto the acting. I saw another side to him instead of some of the movies he'd made before.

Topic addressed and not the person

To avoid confrontation in the future I will not comment on your posts. Should you wish to comment further please do this via the PM system. I don't like you or your comments !

Did you ever stop to consider that you have emotions too? You seem to respond to me because I've said I don't like you. Well, everyone can't like everyone. I'm just more honest than most.

I never seriously considered that I was "attacking you." In fact, I felt by you making such a comment like " getting temperatures going" that it appeared that you were willing to get some heated up.
    The rest I was just offering as showing that EP DID try to get rid of Parker and why it never happened .
    IMO, if the complete story is not covered people only get one side, one opinion.

So far, with "your thread" it's helped to encourage newer people to post without being afraid some will "take their head off" for their comments.
    For that I'm sure everyone's greatful. I know I am....

This whole thing started after Gail was banned. Personally, I don't want to see anyone being banned, not Gail, not Getlo, not anyone. This site is not about our personal battles but about our man and exchanging information about his life and career. But, (there's always a "but"), when someone believes that he/she has been offended by someone else's words, I WANT to believe that he/she has the right and freedom to tell it and speak out. With no insults, no swears but with HONESTY. Why should I be afraid to tell that something bothered me? Why? Personally, when I'm annoyed or sad and dissapointed, I show it. I can't hide it. That's who I am. Why some people are allowed to show their emotions and say WHATEVER they want and other's don't? I'm sorry but I can't accept that. As long as we are civilised that is!
    Guys and gals, you have no idea how a bad comment towards me can make me feel. It affects me very much. It can ruin my day. I know, I know, that may sound too much for some of you but this is who I am. One thing is for sure; We all love and admire Elvis. Well, that IS something, isn't it?
    Goodbye Rosanne...Your "family" in TCB will always remember you.

Quote Originally Posted by LianaKaralivanou View Post
    We all love and admire Elvis. Well, that IS something, isn't it?
    Yes it is

Page 1 of 28 1234567811 ... LastLast