Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst 123456789101112131417 ... LastLast

Thread: TCB - Philosophical Debate

Quote Originally Posted by Col Jon Burrows View Post
    Your welcome friend

Speaking of Jak, sure wish he would show his face around here more often.
    I think hes been pretty busy the last few months.
    I hope his schedule eases up and he has more time to take part in the discussions.

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    Me too Ken he's one of the good guys !
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

Just a quick little whine from me before I have to get dressed for work! Just went shopping on amazon.com and I must say I it when I search for a book that's no doubt been out of print because of just plain lack of interest for the majority of the folks, but now because there are Elvis fans like me, the price gets jacked up sky high! I found a book at the Corpus Christi library about Elvis concerts and thought it would be neat to add to my collection! $498!!!! Uh - NO! Maybe, I'll check it out from CC library and just 'lose' it. It would be cheaper to buy a ratty ex-libris than a ratty "collector's" item from a book seller!

Just pretend, I'm holding you, and whispering things soft and low.
    And think of me, how it's gonna be and just pretend I didn't go

You know I'm thinking Elvis was not so much after reading some recent thread posts. He had no direction, he didn't handle his own business decisions, he was easily bored, he had little creative drive, trusted people, got addicted to drugs, was easily manipulated, no matter what his sales in records are-charts can tell a new story, he had many insecurities, and although admitted "the image is one thing the human being another" no one seemed to take that admission serious. He is remembered by many as an overweight man in a white jumpsuit. His talent, charisma and abilities are now taking a backseat (maybe even locked in the trunk with a spare tire) to the scandals, controversy and the downfall which seem to have been elevated to the top of the list when you mention Elvis Presley.
    Forgive me I am having a bad day.

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    You know I'm thinking Elvis was not so much after reading some recent thread posts. He had no direction, he didn't handle his own business decisions, he was easily bored, he had little creative drive, trusted people, got addicted to drugs, was easily manipulated, no matter what his sales in records are-charts can tell a new story, he had many insecurities, and although admitted "the image is one thing the human being another" no one seemed to take that admission serious. He is remembered by many as an overweight man in a white jumpsuit. His talent, charisma and abilities are now taking a backseat (maybe even locked in the trunk with a spare tire) to the scandals, controversy and the downfall which seem to have been elevated to the top of the list when you mention Elvis Presley.
    An example of many including me sometimes spending to much time focusing on the bad side of his life, instead of the good stuff

An example of many including me sometimes spending to much time focusing on the bad side of his life, instead of the good stuff
    I am not singling anyone out-but the passion in the posts the most strenuosly argued points are about the negative side. I truely see that.
    It amazes me-not that negatives are mentioned-but that they are becoming the focus-above what made him great-above what made him the first superstar of worldwide fame. The things which put him on top-are becoming secondary to the things which brought him down. The redeeming qualities of a man are becoming extinct as the negatives override. It amazes me, saddens me and depresses me all in one breathe. But as I said- its not been a good day so I am a little tired.

I am not singling anyone out-but the passion in the posts the most strenuosly argued points are about the negative side. I truely see that.
    It amazes me-not that negatives are mentioned-but that they are becoming the focus-above what made him great-above what made him the first superstar of worldwide fame. The things which put him on top-are becoming secondary to the things which brought him down. The redeeming qualities of a man are becoming extinct as the negatives override. It amazes me, saddens me and depresses me all in one breathe. But as I said- its not been a good day so I am a little tired.
    I hear what you're saying. It's almost as if that's all that is talked about. Seems to me that this is all anyone will hear a few years down the road!! Frankly, I get very tired of reading the crap and getting ripped apart when I defend him. What puzzles me is these people call themselves fans????

Forever Best Friends

Loving elvis
    I agree and me is having a bad day too. More topics about postive elvis would be great to see instead of the threads that are on the board now.

TCB Mafia
    I agree.

As a fan, who accepts people for how they are, and because she loves, and looks for what is good, what's the point in posting?

Perhaps we should all write a negative bio about ourselves, see if we are fans (of ourselves). Put ourselves in someone else's shoes for a change!

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar
    I hear YA folks, sooo start a positive thread

The redeeming qualities of a man are becoming extinct as the negatives override. It amazes me, saddens me and depresses me all in one breathe. But as I said- its not been a good day so I am a little tired.
    Quote Originally Posted by TotallyInsane View Post
    I hear what you're saying. It's almost as if that's all that is talked about. Seems to me that this is all anyone will hear a few years down the road!! Frankly, I get very tired of reading the crap and getting ripped apart when I defend him. What puzzles me is these people call themselves fans????
    If a casual fan, or someone just discovering Elvis were to stop by here, they would surely leave shaking their head. Probably thinking he was a drugged up addict who was unable to put one foot in front of the other he was so stoned. They would also leave thinking "thank goodness for those friends of his, if not for them he would have died 10 years sooner than he did". Why does every word that comes out of the MM's mouth have to be taken as the absolute 100% truth? With every other person it's always an "opinion" or "speculation". However...that is NEVER the case with those guys. YES.....Elvis was addicted to drugs in the worst way. So why must we rag on Jerry Schilling for telling the "drug stories" with a tad of compassion? Compassion equates to "not telling it like it was" it seems.

Loving elvis
    Quote Originally Posted by utmom2008 View Post
    If a casual fan, or someone just discovering Elvis were to stop by here, they would surely leave shaking their head. Probably thinking he was a drugged up addict who was unable to put one foot in front of the other he was so stoned. They would also leave thinking "thank goodness for those friends of his, if not for them he would have died 10 years sooner than he did". Why does every word that comes out of the MM's mouth have to be taken as the absolute 100% truth? With every other person it's always an "opinion" or "speculation". However...that is NEVER the case with those guys. YES.....Elvis was addicted to drugs in the worst way. So why must we rag on Jerry Schilling for telling the "drug stories" with a tad of compassion? Compassion equates to "not telling it like it was" it seems.
    I agree with you rosanne, good post

I agree with you Rossie.

But its the fact of how he kisses up to Priscilla that gets on my nerves. As for how he talked about Elvis' drug problem and such in his book, I give him two thumbs up for that
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

Quote Originally Posted by presley31 View Post
    I agree with you rosanne, good post
    Thanks Jen.
    I agree with you Rossie.

But its the fact of how he kisses up to Priscilla that gets on my nerves. As for how he talked about Elvis' drug problem and such in his book, I give him two thumbs up for that
    Well, maybe one day when she no longer has anything to do with his income he'll come clean and admit what all the rest of us have known for eons.

Frankly, I get very tired of reading the crap and getting ripped apart when I defend him.
    You defend him with blinders, perhaps that's the reason? And what crap, exactly, are you talking about? The drugs? The weight? The bizarre behaviour?

Look at the forum. There are more threads about his music, his concerts and other "positive" aspects of his life than these so-called "negatives", so your complaints and those from others are quite baseless.

What puzzles me is these people call themselves fans????
    More elitism. A fan is a fan is a fan. And you call yourself a fan after questioning the veracity of others on here? That is pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    I agree.As a fan, who accepts people for how they are, and because she loves, and looks for what is good, what's the point in posting?
    And what's the point in even asking that? Your implication is that fans who choose (see that word, some of you? ... CHOOSE!) to discuss other aspects of his life don't accept Elvis because of how he was. That's patently untrue.

Probably thinking he was a drugged up addict who was unable to put one foot in front of the other he was so stoned.
    There are times when this was true. A balanced look at Elvis' life must reflect this properly.

Why does every word that comes out of the MM's mouth have to be taken as the absolute 100% truth? With every other person it's always an "opinion" or "speculation". However...that is NEVER the case with those guys.
    Wrong. The MM's stories (most of them anyway) have been verified, documented and proven. Once again, not one of you who complain about the MM have come out and shown otherwise. The MM have been subjected to the same rigours of proof that others have.

YES.....Elvis was addicted to drugs in the worst way. So why must we rag on Jerry Schilling for telling the "drug stories" with a tad of compassion?
    I rag on JS because he is a suck-up to EPE, not for any compassion he shows. And if you can't see compassion in the MM's works, you're not reading them properly.

Once again, it has come to this, something that has been discussed on many threads ... including this one already, so it amazes me that certain posters here are up to their old tricks after several weeks of good behaviour with everyone getting along relatively well (especially since you-know-who threw her hissy fit and buggered off).

If you don't want to discuss "negative" aspects of Elvis' life, here's a crazy thought: DON'T.

But don't come into this thread putting s**t on the rest of us who choose (yeah, CHOOSE!) to do so. Once again, the vast majority of threads on this site are NOT about the negatives.

You want to only talk about the nice things? Go ahead. And you'll notice that those of us who CHOOSE to discuss every type of aspect of Elvis' life will not come into your threads to hijack them.

So why on earth are you all so rude enough to do it to us?

Don't like a thread? DON'T POST ON THE BLOODY THING!

HOW MANY TIMES must this be uttered before people get this simple concept?!
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post

I rag on JS because he is a suck-up to EPE, not for any compassion he shows. And if you can't see compassion in the MM's works, you're not reading them properly.
    I don't like the way Jerry sucks up to EPE either, to me that's the same as sucking up to Pris and you know how I feel about that. You are not one Getlo, but there have been lots of comments in the past where basically posters have discounted Jerry's entire book. They will say it's whitewashed and put it in the same category as Charlie's, where I know it doesn't belong. I felt he had compassion, but to be fair it's the last MM type book I have read.

What I respect most of Jerry Schilling is the fact he never wanted to live off of Elvis. He wanted to have a real job and support himself and he did just that and I've always admired that in the guy !

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar
    The problem I have is that if you try to put a balanced perspective of others in Elvis' life instead of blaming everything on say, the Colonel or Priscilla. you then get called negative. Why is that, I get tired of hearing "Elvis was a saint", "Priscilla did this, the Colonel did that".

It's all about perspective, but balanced.

There is always the option to report a post that is breaking any rules

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpsuit Junkie View Post
    The problem I have is that if you try to put a balanced perspective of others in Elvis' life instead of blaming everything on say, the Colonel or Priscilla. you then get called negative. Why is that, I get tired of hearing "Elvis was a saint", "Priscilla did this, the Colonel did that".

It's all about perspective, but balanced.

There is always the option to report a post that is breaking any rules
    I will NEVER say that Elvis was a saint...that would have made him much too boring for my taste. Is thinking that Elvis was no saint, Pris was a witch and preferring some members of the MM over others breaking forum rules?

Seriously....are we to report a post if the poster has a one-sided mind about certain topics?

It's like Getlo said, If you don't like the topic why bother posting in it. Simple as that people.