Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161720 ... LastLast

Thread: TCB - Philosophical Debate

I agree with Tommy. It's no way for "adults" to act. Some people reduce themselves to adolescents on this message board and they need to get a heads up on how they appear to everyone else instead of ruining almost every thread to gain attention.

Diane

I just spent some time re-reading the EWH thread, since that seems to be the problem. The rude name calling started with the infamous poster that gives the rude and/or silly statements, and then REMOVES them. What kind of tactic is that anyway????????

People will automatically become defensive when their reply is captured, but captured with a new sub-title. A sub-title that I might add is anything but kind and respectful to the poster being quoted. It's human nature to fire back...when you are insulted first.

Quote Originally Posted by utmom2008 View Post
    I just spent some time re-reading the EWH thread, since that seems to be the problem. The rude name calling started with the infamous poster that gives the rude and/or silly statements, and then REMOVES them. What kind of tactic is that anyway????????

People will automatically become defensive when their reply is captured, but captured with a new sub-title. A sub-title that I might add is anything but kind and respectful to the poster being quoted. It's human nature to fire back...when you are insulted first.
    However, sometimes it's the one defending themself that gets sent to the corner and their post deleted...the one that started it carrys on!! What goes for one should go for all!!!

Forever Best Friends

I would never call anyone a name on the forum, but its hard to do sometimes when someone else starts the ball rolling. This is a great place to discuss Elvis, and there is a feeling of friendship among most here IMO
    Now we do not always agree on things-and feelings on certain subjects are heartfelt and that leads to friction. Priscilla, MM, Drugs, Parker etc...
    But I have noticed in the last year or so-that when the discussions get heated-they still seem to stay respectful.
    Speaking for myself I like that atmosphere-that feeling that its okay to disagree-yet still be friendly. Sometimes its hard to maintain-but I think it worth the effort..

Asking for proof of a source has been something that we all pretty much agreed on, because if its something you do not know, or something which goes against the common belief-you want to know where that came from. Is it a credible source? How can anyone make a subjective decision on someones post-without some way to "consider the source"?

Quote Originally Posted by utmom2008 View Post
    It's human nature to fire back...when you are insulted first.
    Spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    How can anyone make a subjective decision on someones post-without some way to "consider the source"?
    Precisely. How anyone can be expected to be believed if they simply say "I knew Elvis", then haughtily say "I'm going to stay anonymous, I prefer it that way" just beggars belief.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    I am also in complete agreement with KPM and Tony. I find it very unfair for someone to say they have inside information that no one knows but them and refuse to share it or to provide where they got this information or who they are if they personally got that information. It's kind of a mean game and I feel in that case they have no right to be insulted when questioned and as someone said in one post....put up or shut up....simple as that. I don't have patience with mind games.

Another thing I find very annoying is I wish there was a quick way to get rid of people who use double identities to back themselves up or just cause havoc.
    Diane
    Yes I agree, it is dishonest to have double identities- done for no reason other than to create trouble.

OK - New topic to complain about!

Why is it that it seems that threads disappear simply because people appear to be having a light debate and/or some tongue in cheek humor? I've seen it happen several times here lately where there is not anyone calling names, arguing, getting nasty with each other but rather poking fun at each other, laughing, simply having a little stress free communication with fellow fans. Seems to me that there are some threads that remain that should have been gone long ago, i.e. the Obama thread - have you read that one lately? How are we to know what is accepted and what is not accepted when one moderator calls another moderator's thread ridiculous? How are we to know what we can say when do say things that have not broken any rules yet we called out on it. I would like to know why Priscilla is a sacred word? If I get banned for my questions (even though it is my understanding for us to create our frustrations) - guess I'll be seeing ya'll on email.

Forever Best Friends

Quote Originally Posted by TotallyInsane View Post
    Why is it that it seems that threads disappear simply because people appear to be having a light debate and/or some tongue in cheek humor? Seems to me that there are some threads that remain that should have been gone long ago, i.e. the Obama thread - have you read that one lately? How are we to know what is accepted and what is not accepted when one moderator calls another moderator's thread ridiculous? How are we to know what we can say when do say things that have not broken any rules yet we called out on it. I would like to know why Priscilla is a sacred word? If I get banned for my questions (even though it is my understanding for us to create our frustrations) - guess I'll be seeing ya'll on email.
    Great questions Gail, but I don't have any answers for you. I can tell you that I gotten several PM's from members who are also a bit confused as to what is acceptable and what is not. We have one very valued member who says they are considering leaving TCB because they feel as though they have lost their "freedom of speech" rights. I was fascinated that the Obama thread remained open...there were several occasions where there was some definite mud-slinging taking place. I didn't have a problem with the debating that was taking place, but I think it should be allowed on other threads as well. I re-read the closed threads this afternoon, but I couldn't find where people were becoming nasty or cruel to one another. I am beginning to feel as though there are a different set of rules for each and every member, and each and every moderator.

Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post
    Precisely. How anyone can be expected to be believed if they simply say "I knew Elvis", then haughtily say "I'm going to stay anonymous, I prefer it that way" just beggars belief.
    Yes, also when someone says they know detailed information...and then not say how they know it! Unless, that person was there, it's all speculation and not FACTS!

franny

Quote Originally Posted by franny View Post
    Yes, also when someone says they know detailed information...and then not say how they know it! Unless, that person was there, it's all speculation and not FACTS!

franny
    I agree with you Franny! I don't think asking someone how they have such information is too much to ask.

Has anyone else noticed how many 'controversial' threads had been started or mostly revived in the last few weeks?

Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    Has anyone else noticed how many 'controversial' threads had been started or mostly revived in the last few weeks?
    I sure have...most of them are old threads that have been brought back around. Interesting, don't you think?

Yes, I think there are little elves among us hiding behind polls and old threads

I agree, I think we may have the same old trolls under different ID's or new ones. Whichever, all trolls come to the forums to cause trouble. These people need a life and that's why they are called trolls....they live under a bridge to put it nicely.

Diane

I believe this is the main problem of this site and so with the others.There are some members who loves to grandstand all the time and and feel so happy and satisfied running into unnecessary arguments or debates. We can always show our disagreement with a particular thread without being so nasty and personal about it. Anyway, we are all supposed to be Elvis fans and I think there's no question about it so I sincerely hope we behave and act like one to prove our worth as the greatest fans.

Quote Originally Posted by ricardo b. prospero View Post
    I believe this is the main problem of this site and so with the others.There are some members who loves to grandstand all the time and and feel so happy and satisfied running into unnecessary arguments or debates. We can always show our disagreement with a particular thread without being so nasty and personal about it. Anyway, we are all supposed to be Elvis fans and I think there's no question about it so I sincerely hope we behave and act like one to prove our worth as the greatest fans.
    It's good to see you here...it seems like you haven't been here in ages.

Loving elvis
    The way the threads are going there is lots of priscilla and l can't help but wonder why she is more inportant to discuss than elvis?? I spend alot of my time seaching for things so we don't have to discuss her all the time and still seems her threads get bumped up for some reason. I guess l really can't understand whats so inportant we need to bring up so much and on elvis forum.. Yes we all have opinions and want answers but after all the threads we have about priscilla there must be answers in them somewhere. I know alot of you will say we are entiled to discuss what we like and l have no problem with that, but come on little less priscilla does the brain good.

Ok l will sneak away now....

Re: TCB - Philosophical Debate

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpsuit Junkie View Post
    Question:-

If someone reveals what can be considered controversial or big news, should other members be able to question the validity of that information?
    Good question.
    Of course I feel that a reader should be able to question the validity of someone's else's post controversial or big news. If a poster can't back up what he/she is saying why post it at all?
    Diane

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    IMO- in order to have some credibility on any subject-not just Elvis-you have to prove your credentials. This is how we decide who is on the level, who has true expert knowledge of any given subject.
    So when someone does post and say they knew Elvis, they were just as close as the ones we all know-it is always going to end up with show us the diploma, show us the trail.
    I just do not see anything wrong with respectfullly asking this of them.
    That is my view.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Trout View Post
    I agree wholeheartedly. If someone knew Elvis, I think it's only right that they provide some solid proof besides word of mouth that they knew Elvis.

I am also in complete agreement with KPM and Tony. I find it very unfair for someone to say they have inside information that no one knows but them and refuse to share it or to provide where they got this information or who they are if they personally got that information. It's kind of a mean game and I feel in that case they have no right to be insulted when questioned and as someone said in one post....put up or shut up....simple as that. I don't have patience with mind games.
    Diane
    My how things have changed. This is a topic that we are hearing about all the time now, yet somewhere along the way the rules have changed. Yes, we have a member now who claims to have known Elvis in a very very close manner, but for some unknown reason it has become off-limits for anyone to question how she knew him, let alone ask for proof.

Another member left last summer over continuous questioning as to how she knew 3 Presidents. One of the mods was in agreement with all of those asking the questions. Again it was said, if you make a large claim such as knowing a President, or knowing Elvis Presley then be ready to show the proof. Or, as one post said Put up or shut up."

Why was it OK to ask those questions 8 or 9 months ago? You can't ask them now without being hit with great hostility. I just wondered....does this bother anyone else?

I'm in total agreement Rosanne! If you're not gonna provide any details of who you are or how you supposedly knew Elvis then why bother posting it at all? Seems to me the only reason a person would do this would be to stir the pot and cause trouble. If you really didn't want anyone to know anything - why do you throw the bait in the water?

Forever Best Friends

Quote Originally Posted by TotallyInsane View Post
    I'm in total agreement Rosanne! If you're not gonna provide any details of who you are or how you supposedly knew Elvis then why bother posting it at all? Seems to me the only reason a person would do this would be to stir the pot and cause trouble. If you really didn't want anyone to know anything - why do you throw the bait in the water?

I agree with you. I read back through the thread entitled "Who's To Blame For No World Tour" and it became very heated, but JJ was one of the participants as well. The member made a large claim, refused to show any form of proof, and as a result was totally hammered. What I don't understand though is this....why was it OK to keep on badgering that member, but the same can't be said for the current member. It seems like a reasonable question IMO.