Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cue cards used at Aloha rehearsal show?

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar

Cue cards used at Aloha rehearsal show?

What's this I see?

I knew about them being used for Burning Love in the broadcast show and for the post-broadcast session, but this was news to me.

During Welcome To My World, when he accepts the handkerchief from the fan and gives the gift of sweat , it goes to the camera angle from behind him (just at the end of the line, "...still happen now and then")--that's when you see 'em.

It's funny too, because he must not have been paying too close attention to them then; that's one of the handful of songs that he goofed up a little lyric-wise in the rehearsal but nailed for the broadcast.

But I think it's quite significant that he had them for the rehearsal show. I always assumed that for Burning Love, since he seemed to fairly often have a little trouble getting that song just right (which is in evidence during the rehearsal show), he got nervous about that happening for the big event and demanded cue cards for that song. But it looks like he required them for other songs too. Perhaps it was the plan from the beginning to use them and so they "tested" them for him at the rehearsal show. What I'm wondering now is, for how many songs at both shows were cue cards used?
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

mm i got to watch the DVD all over again, i dont recall seeing the cue cards

International Level
    I have seen this to, and when you see one of the stand up shows you well also see cue cards there two, i think you see it better when he was doing Jalihouse rock number.
    Curtis Simpkins

Long Live Vinyl. :worthy:

International Level
    Yep, cue cards gallore

So far I think the only (offically filmed) shows I haven't seen cue cards on are TTWII and On Tour (can't recall the CBS special, haven't seen that one in forever )

Quote Originally Posted by Cherokee View Post
    Yep, cue cards gallore

So far I think the only (offically filmed) shows I haven't seen cue cards on are TTWII and On Tour (can't recall the CBS special, haven't seen that one in forever )

I can't imagine him using cue cards during TTWII or EOT at all.....and they weren't used during "Elvis In Concert", either.

The cue cards during the main "Aloha" show were used on "Burning Love".

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Trout View Post
    The cue cards during the main "Aloha" show were used on "Burning Love".
    There were cue cards for others as well; you can see them in some of the photos. Obviously, not for stuff like Hound Dog.

A very sensible idea, in case he stumbled. Wouldn't want to do that on a worldwide telecast.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Lots of cue cards, CD 2 you can totally see them in rehearsal but they were also used in the "Live" telecast as well and are quite visible in parts.
    Like Getlo said, nothing wrong w/that.
    Frank Sinatra used a teleprompter...
    It's just a safeguard, you don't want to mess up, not during a live performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post
    There were cue cards for others as well; you can see them in some of the photos. Obviously, not for stuff like Hound Dog.

A very sensible idea, in case he stumbled. Wouldn't want to do that on a worldwide telecast.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzan View Post
    Lots of cue cards, CD 2 you can totally see them in rehearsal but they were also used in the "Live" telecast as well and are quite visible in parts.
    Like Getlo said, nothing wrong w/that.
    Frank Sinatra used a teleprompter...
    It's just a safeguard, you don't want to mess up, not during a live performance.

Besies "Burning Love", what are the other examples??

(Sorry for dredging up an older thread...)

I think there some cue cards in TTWII, Middle of Polk salad Annie He was read a little card liked it. Aloha I didn't See cue cards all,
    Tom
    Take a look at you and me,,Are we too blind to see, Do we Simply turn our heads and look the other way.....(Line From "in The Ghetto")

Besies "Burning Love", what are the other examples??
    I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry, for one.

There's a pic (maybe in the gallery?) from the sound check that shows the cue cards clearly for this song, with several others behind it.

There are also other pics (again, here?) that show them during the performance.

I don't think he would've used them much; or if he did, he didn't show it.

And, as Suzan pointed out, there are glimpses of them during the performance/s.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Quote Originally Posted by poormansgold View Post
    I think there some cue cards in TTWII, Middle of Polk salad Annie He was read a little card liked it.
    No, Tom.

That was a note from a female audience member, advising Elvis of an invitation to visit her room ... and detailing some of the things she'd like to do with him.

Cue cards are large sheets of cardboard, held behind a camera, so the performer can read words to a song, or a monologue.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Hi Tony!
    My apologies, I don't know the specific songs just that there was cue cards out in front of the stage....I can rewatch and write down the songs if you'd like?
    I also took screencaps but unfortunately did not take any of the cue cards BUT there are a couple I believe in the gallery.

Also I did not forget about that other photo I am still on a search for it.

I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry, for one.

There's a pic (maybe in the gallery?) from the sound check that shows the cue cards clearly for this song, with several others behind it.

There are also other pics (again, here?) that show them during the performance.

I don't think he would've used them much; or if he did, he didn't show it.

And, as Suzan pointed out, there are glimpses of them during the performance/s.
    Getlo,

Thanks, brother. I'll have to get out the DVD and watch it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzan View Post
    Hi Tony!
    My apologies, I don't know the specific songs just that there was cue cards out in front of the stage....I can rewatch and write down the songs if you'd like?
    I also took screencaps but unfortunately did not take any of the cue cards BUT there are a couple I believe in the gallery.

Also I did not forget about that other photo I am still on a search for it.

Suzan,

If you could do that for me, I'd appreciate it. I hope it's not too much trouble.....

Getlo,

Thanks, brother. I'll have to get out the DVD and watch it again.

Suzan,

If you could do that for me, I'd appreciate it. I hope it's not too much trouble.....
    For you? Nope...I will try to get some time in in the next few days to re-watch and make a list of the songs where they are used.

Also am still on hunt for that pic..it's a long slow process but I am bound and determined because I KNOW the pic your asking about. LOL

You have Franny and I also both still looking Tony so don't lose heart!

Diane

You have Franny and I also both still looking Tony so don't lose heart! One of us three here will get that picture for you yet

Diane

No, Tom.

That was a note from a female audience member, advising Elvis of an invitation to visit her room ... and detailing some of the things she'd like to do with him.

Cue cards are large sheets of cardboard, held behind a camera, so the performer can read words to a song, or a monologue.
    Getlo...is that what he looks at during "Polk Salad Annie?" Is that where he reads the little note and hands it off to Charlie??

ohh...i didnt now that he was using cue cards in Aloha, i watced it in the comeback show, but not here! now i found it! Can someone post the picture where you can clearly see the cue cards from Aloha ?
    Taking Care of Business
    Til we meet you again, may God bless you, Adios.

International Level rhythmknights's Avatar
    i saw the cue cards on the extra numbers, don't recall them during th show, but i'm not surprised, don't the producers automatically supply them just to cover their own hides? that way the performer has no recourse to blame someone else for their mistake - not that Elvis would ever do anything like that! 100% southern gentleman, him.
    Elvis may or may not have used the cards, he didn't look like he did, and i might add that he wasn't shy about taking the actual lyric sheet on stage with him, lol.
    All I wanted was a white knight with a good heart, soft touch, fast horse
    Ride me off into the sunset Baby, I'm forever yours

Quote Originally Posted by utmom2008 View Post
    Getlo...is that what he looks at during "Polk Salad Annie?" Is that where he reads the little note and hands it off to Charlie??
    Yes, it was a note from a female fan. Elvis chose to keep his "poker face" rather than react to it. It was apparently quite racy. Can't remember where I first read this, though ...
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast