Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Elvis: Up Close And Personal With Sonny West.

How would any one here feel if they were unceremoniuously dumped from their jobs without a proper explanation as to why you were fired and only given three days notice and a weeks pay after 16-20 years on the job??

This pretty much did happen to me - not fired - but forced out of a job after 18 years of service. Yeah, I was ticked at the witch that made me leave but guess what I did?? Instead of trying to cause her harm I went out and GOT ANOTHER JOB!! What a concept??? Got a job and handled my responsibilities without having to blame someone else for wanting to get rid of me!!! And, might I add, this happened when my husband was very ill and we didn't know if he was going to live or not! So, you're darn right I was ticked - after all I had a family to support too!!!!!!
    Trying to do the right thing my buttocks!!!!

Forever Best Friends

Quote Originally Posted by TotallyInsane View Post
    Trying to do the right thing my buttocks!!!!

You trying to mimic Forrest Gump today?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Trout View Post
    Some people just won't let go or forgive and forget, will they? I, for one, cannot understand the bitterness and absolute and uncalled for hatred that some people feel against the Wests' (and Dave Hebler) after so many years. How would any one here feel if they were unceremoniuously dumped from their jobs without a proper explanation as to why you were fired and only given three days notice and a weeks pay after 16-20 years on the job?? I'd be pretty PO'd, myself. If you don't think Sonny cared at all for Elvis, read the chapter where he describes his reaction upon hearing of Elvis's death.
    I shall say nothing further.....
    *sigh*
    I've lost a couple of jobs ...actually, I got P.O.d, told them to stick it and quit !! I'm a grown man, no one should put up with any kind of BS no matter how long they have a job, IMO.
    I've read Sonnys book. He's still a jacka** , blaming everyone but taking none of it for himself. I bet he was upset when he heard Elvis died as he knew he was in big trouble !! I have no sympathy for people like him.
    Did he offer to pay any of Elvis' attorney fees for the lawsuits?

You have a right to your opinion; but so do I and everyone else .
    Say whatever you like. I don't try to change anyones mind, I just give my own opinion. Just please don't try to "sell me" on the Wests.
    "I have learned never to ridicule any man's opinion, however strange it may seem."

Nawwww, the Wests had no excuse whatsoever in having that book written, not in my mind and not in the majority of the fans...revenge and money was the main reason.

Most of us have lost jobs for one reason or another and we all simply went out and found another. The Wests had it too good with Elvis and too much fun, not to mention too much protection from Elvis to act out as badly as they wanted to. No other employer would have put up with what they did.

TCB Mafia
    I agree with Diane, whole heartedly.

With regard to other comments made in this thread. I find it hard to forgive when you love someone and want to protect them, especially with regard to the harm that was done. Especially, since Sonny runs down his best friend's daughter. That was icing on the cake for me. Sonny should be mature, not bitter and hard done by. He is also, very, very, practiced, at being interviewed, watch him.

Thing is with Sonny, is that I've watched an interview with him, I think it was with Shelly Powers. They taped the general chat with her, before the official interview. Sonny ran down people, trying to align himself with Shelly. I found that unnecessary, and immature.

He then went into his well practised and adjusted spiel. His stories are adjusted, (you say something three times, and it must be true) I know someone who was there for a major story, and he made it out to be something it wasn't, for a book. I'm not going into things, no point, we all have our opinions.

Sonny does love Elvis, true, but I don't find Sonny genuine, and that sets off warning bells, especially, the way he runs down others. That is telling to me, and because of what happened, I can't help being protective as this is someone's life story that is being changed, it isn't right. That is why I say things, and used to be asked to say things.

If my employee bashed the fans, etc., I'd fire him, too. This is all old, but Sonny knew that Elvis always changed his mind. Vernon always did the hiring and firing. That too comes from someone who was there.

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post

You have a right to your opinion; but so do I and everyone else .
    Say whatever you like. I don't try to change anyones mind, I just give my own opinion. Just please don't try to "sell me" on the Wests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    Nawwww, the Wests had no excuse whatsoever in having that book written, not in my mind and not in the majority of the fans...revenge and money was the main reason.

I agree with both of you, and here again it's all wrapped up in our ages. There is still a generation gap, I guess there always will be. I think that the younger people of today don't put as much emphasis on certain things like we did, such as morals. It doesn't seem like anything is a big deal. Much the way they enter into marriage with the attitude of oh well...if it doesn't work out we'll just get a divorce. It baffles me as to why no one seems to think that what the West's did was just plain ole' wrong.

Because there aren't many "wrongs" anymore Rosanne. People look after "number one" and don't care or respect anyone and as a result, not even themselves and don't even know it.

Some like the Wests were just ahead of their times in that respect...there were a few self-centered people then too....just not as widespread as it is today.

Because there aren't many "wrongs" anymore Rosanne. People look after "number one" and don't care or respect anyone and as a result, not even themselves and don't even know it.

Some like the Wests were just ahead of their times in that respect...there were a few self-centered people then too....just not as widespread as it is today.
    You are right Diane...those are very valid points. My hubs is a teacher/coach...it's so interesting to hear him talk about the differences that keep coming along with each new set of teenagers.

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    I think though with Elvis being a forgiven person he was would've forgave and forgot. He knew his world was turned upside down by this point, just imagine how he felt. It's sad to think about.
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

TCB Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by utmom2008 View Post
    I agree with both of you, and here again it's all wrapped up in our ages. There is still a generation gap, I guess there always will be. I think that the younger people of today don't put as much emphasis on certain things like we did, such as morals. It doesn't seem like anything is a big deal. It baffles me as to why no one seems to think that what the West's did was just plain ole' wrong.

This is the best post I've read in gosh knows how long!

AGREED!

Loving elvis

Most of us have lost jobs for one reason or another and we all simply went out and found another. The Wests had it too good with Elvis and too much fun, not to mention too much protection from Elvis to act out as badly as they wanted to. No other employer would have put up with what they did.
    I agree Diane Such a shame to see people who say how much they love someone than write a book and put down theres friends daughter. I doubt very much elvis would be pleased with the things that have been written about him. I think his true friends were his fans, least we stand by him and never let him down no matter what happens.

That's what so sad Col.Jon Burrows. Elvis would have forgiven them, no question about it but THEY still haven't forgiven HIM.

I loved the cab story - both of them. Poor Elvis, he just 'gets no respect!'

Just pretend, I'm holding you, and whispering things soft and low.
    And think of me, how it's gonna be and just pretend I didn't go

Loving elvis
    That's what so sad Col.Jon Burrows. Elvis would have forgiven them, no question about it but THEY still haven't forgiven HIM.
    yep diane , thats the thing thats different with elvis and the boys is elvis had a heart that could forgive just about anything, but the guys who had it pretty good still can't get over things and move on.

It baffles me as to why no one seems to think that what the West's did was just plain ole' wrong.
    But I said they tried to do the right thing, but went about doing it the wrong way
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

Quote Originally Posted by Lisarose View Post
    I loved the cab story - both of them. Poor Elvis, he just 'gets no respect!'
    I did too, got a good laugh out of that!!

THEY still haven't forgiven HIM.
    I don't think w are in any position to say whos forgiven who we don't know really....

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar
    [/u][/b]

OK Mike..now I'M going to be watching YOU. I think the men in the white-coats may be coming after you to fit you for a straight-jacket!
    Forget it Rosanne....it's WAAAAAY too late for me now anyway!!!

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jungleroom76 View Post
    Forget it Rosanne....it's WAAAAAY too late for me now anyway!!!

TCB!
    Mike
    Mike I love that GK avator of yours.
    Very classy

The sadness to me is that they were all good close friends. Red and Elvis back to high school. Anytime lives get so intertwined and close you are bound to see the relationships change. What had been fun-no longer always was, close buddies drifted into different roles and all that takes its toll on everyone. Power, jealousy, envy & greed are all human qualities which every person who ever lived possessed. Mistakes and human shortcomings are at play on all sides in every human encounter. (even superstars and their employees, relatives and friends)
    If Elvis were still here he could counter their stories with his own and try to explain his action and deeds.
    All of you who have talked to Sonny in person, or Red etc....many of you have found them sincere and believable but you have never had the chance to sit across from Elvis and ask him to rebute their accounts of what happened. Would we find him any less believable in his accounts? Would we find him any less sincere?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast