Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 1968 Comeback Special Trivia

He did say "Moby Dick". If you watch his action with the mike stand, he is pretending to harpoon a whale.

James
    If you're an Elvis Fan no explanation is necessary.
    If you're not, no explanation is possible :

ok this has moved on alot since i was last here so i'll try to remember all i have read and comment ok i agree that he does say "moby dick" and i also think they said tarnelle but it being a private joke i don't get it they did so it was funny to them as for the man she's pritty line it could be for cilla if she was there if not they could just be saying that about someone who was in the audience thats why they didn't say her name cos they didn't know her but its one of those things where you make your own mind up cos it all comes down to what your own ears hear
    Last edited by goodelvisgirl; 05-15-2008 at 05:58 PM.

In describing Elvis' appearance for the 1st sit-down show, one commentary reported:

"It's pretty debateable whether any human has ever looked as good as Elvis does in this show."

I'd say he's right on target!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by ehollier; 05-16-2008 at 08:35 PM.
    "More people today should see him not simply as a performer, but as an artist with a great soul."

John Bakke, professor emeritus
    University of Memphis

No, I think nobody looked so good!!!! Before or after this show. He was a really unique phenomenon. What a great pic Elizabeth!!! God, I have never seen this pic, he was beautiful. Just look at those girls' eyes!!!! They tell everything.
    Last edited by cibetty; 05-17-2008 at 07:14 AM.

I LOVE
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    ♪ ♫♪ ♫♪ ♫♪ [̲̅̅E̲̅][̲̅̅L̲̅][̲̅̅V̲̅][̲̅̅I̲​̅][̲̅̅S̲̅] [̲̅̅P̲̅][̲̅̅R̲̅][̲̅̅E̲̅][̲̅̅S̲​̅][̲̅̅L̲̅[̲̅̅E̲̅][̲̅̅Y̲̅] ♫♪ ♫♪ ♫♪
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

My page on YouTube and on MyElvisWorld:
    http://www.youtube.com/cibetty, http://www.myelvisworld.com/cibetty

"If any individual of our time can be said to have changed the world, Elvis Presley is the one. In his wake more than music is different. Nothing and no one looks or sounds the same. His music was the most liberating event of our era because it taught us new possibilities of feeling and perception, new modes of action and appearance, and because it reminded us not only of his greatness but of our own potential.

It was the finest music of his life. If ever there was music that bleeds, it was this."

Greil Marcus
    1968 TV Special
    From his book Mystery Train
    "More people today should see him not simply as a performer, but as an artist with a great soul."

University of Memphis

Back to the subject of 'Tarnell." I watched the 1st sit-down show again and after he sings Lawdy, Miss Clawdy, a few songs later, he sings Trying to Get to You (which is so awesome, by the way!!), and somewhere along the middle to second to last verse/chorus, either, D. J. Fontana or Alan Fortas, shouts out something that sounds just like the name "Tarnell" and Elvis gives a quick laugh and/or acknowledgment. I cannot imagine someone yelling "toenails" or any other thing that sounds just like what is exchanged just prior to singing Lawdy, Miss Clawdy.

In this YT video, at 5:48, you hear someone yell out, but again, on the YT video, the sound is not the same quality that you would have on newer dvd.

[YT]<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VLsZwvmZFl0&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VLsZwvmZFl0&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>[/YT]

University of Memphis

Quote Originally Posted by ehollier View Post
    "If any individual of our time can be said to have changed the world, Elvis Presley is the one. In his wake more than music is different. Nothing and no one looks or sounds the same. His music was the most liberating event of our era because it taught us new possibilities of feeling and perception, new modes of action and appearance, and because it reminded us not only of his greatness but of our own potential.

It was the finest music of his life. If ever there was music that bleeds, it was this."

Greil Marcus
    1968 TV Special
    From his book Mystery Train
    waw fantastic that seems to sum up elvis and everything he was about thanks for that elvis was more than just a singer he was a legend he changed the face of music and culture and he kicked the door open for other singers to follow on through there will never be another as no one can kick down the doors once it has already been done i don't think anyone could have done it better than elvis

TCB Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by The King's Queen View Post

Ahhhh...to have been that suit for just one night....

I gotta take a break now...I'm getting out of control!!!

Wonderful post! lol

All right, I'm in your place! lol

TCB Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by The King's Queen View Post
    How right you are my friend... With all of this, you'd think my hubs would LIKE ol Elvis more, wouldn't you???

Here you go, lol:

http://rachelrebibo.com/rachel/the_t...nd_part_2.html

TCB Mafia
    after he sings Lawdy, Miss Clawdy, a few songs later, he sings Trying to Get to You (which is so awesome, by the way!!)

Sure is!!!

Did you know that the first time Elvis takes the electric guitar in the 1st sit-down show, he had never played the instrument in public before. He had played many times in the privacy of his home and for friends, but never before to an audience.

University of Memphis

Did you know that the first time Elvis takes the electric guitar in the 1st sit-down show, he had never played the instrument in public before. He had played many times in the privacy of his home and for friends, but never before to an audience.
    And "they" say he didn't know how to play guitar! He goes along way with his own self-admitted "3 chords"!
    I love how in a time of 'flower power', long hair, unkempt clothing, etc. Elvis makes a strong statement in Black Leather [and hot looks]! Is that the paradox he talks about?

Just pretend, I'm holding you, and whispering things soft and low.
    And think of me, how it's gonna be and just pretend I didn't go

Quote Originally Posted by Lisarose View Post
    And "they" say he didn't know how to play guitar! He goes along way with his own self-admitted "3 chords"!
    I love how in a time of 'flower power', long hair, unkempt clothing, etc. Elvis makes a strong statement in Black Leather [and hot looks]! Is that the paradox he talks about?
    I liked the way he played that electric guitar Although the songs he played on it weren't that complicated. But still, he looked very

Quote Originally Posted by marijaep View Post
    I liked the way he played that electric guitar Although the songs he played on it weren't that complicated. But still, he looked very
    I think pretty much everything Elvis learned about the guitar was during the 50s. After he came back from the Army he just did not learn much further. But he had little need to do so-except for his own enjoyment. (When you can get the best guitarist to play on your records.) Johnny Cash said Elvis's rhythm guitar playing was excellent in the 50s. His playing in the 68 special showed his rhythm ability with the little fill runs to add to the music.

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    I think pretty much everything Elvis learned about the guitar was during the 50s. After he came back from the Army he just did not learn much further. But he had little need to do so-except for his own enjoyment. (When you can get the best guitarist to play on your records.) Johnny Cash said Elvis's rhythm guitar playing was excellent in the 50s. His playing in the 68 special showed his rhythm ability with the little fill runs to add to the music.
    Yeah, too bad he didn't continue learning. He sure had the talent
    Thanks for the info KPM

I have been wondering about "Tarnell" for years now! At least now I know I am not the only person confused . My guess is that it is an inside joke, but if it is it went on for a long time since I've heard it in some of the takes of it from the 50s all the way to the 70s. Also, I have wondered what he has said in the second verse of Lawdy Miss Clawdy (I give you all my money...), to me it sounds like "You like to ball every morning" but I am not sure. Sometimes I clearly hear "You leave the home every morning" (espcially in live 70s versions) but other times I hear "You like to ball". Does anyone know if that is what he is sometimes saying?
    Also, thanks for posting all those facts, they are so interesting!

These are the lyrics that I found posted on the internet, but I know he sometimes deviated from the originals.

Well, lawdy, lawdy, lawdy Miss Clawdy
    Girl, you sure look good to me
    Well please don't excite me, baby
    I know it can't be me
    Well, I give you all my money
    Yeah but you just won't treat me right
    You like to ball every morning
    Don't come home til late at night

I'm gonna tell, tell my mama
    GirlI swaer to God what you been doing to me
    I'm gonna tell everybody that I'm down in misery

University of Memphis

Quote Originally Posted by littlesister3 View Post
    I have been wondering about "Tarnell" for years now! Also, I have wondered what he has said in the second verse of Lawdy Miss Clawdy (I give you all my money...), to me it sounds like "You like to ball every morning" but I am not sure.
    This thread has turned out to be so funny. I thought I was crazy these last 40 years, but I guess others were crazy as well. It has always sounded to me like he is singing 'good-bye toe-nail darling' AND 'You like to ball every morning.' Who knows?

Another littel piece of trivia from the 2nd sit-down show -- Somewhere in the middle of the 2nd performance after he stands up, sings and sits down again, he is wiping his face and gets a piece of lint stuck to his face. Then he proceeds to wipe his face again and he says -- off-mike and very low - "I'm gonna turn white again." I am guessing b/c he is sweating and wiping away the make-up, but its something you cannot hear unless you have the newer release.

University of Memphis

Quote Originally Posted by utmom2008 View Post
    This thread has turned out to be so funny. I thought I was crazy these last 40 years, but I guess others were crazy as well. It has always sounded to me like he is singing 'good-bye toe-nail darling' AND 'You like to ball every morning.' Who knows?
    If you watch Scotty off to the side as they are finishing up the last chorus, you see him put his hand up on his forehead to mimic something. After seeing that, I just can't imagine that they are joking about toenails.

University of Memphis

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast