82 56.94%
  • 73 Aloha Special

19 13.19%
  • 77 Elvis in Concert

7 4.86%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Performance

Best Performance

Of these 4, which performance do you think is the best and why??
    "More people today should see him not simply as a performer, but as an artist with a great soul."

John Bakke, professor emeritus
    University of Memphis

"More people today should see him not simply as a performer, but as an artist with a great soul."

University of Memphis

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    Easy >> 1968 NBC Special

Why you ask ? It's presley at the top, he proved people he still had it, that he wasn't washed up, he showed them he was still the King Of Rock N Roll. Probably the greatest moment in the history of music.

One thing, where's Elvis On Tour ?

And how anyone could put EIC 1977 in the same category as TTWII, Aloha, and especially the '68 Special is beyond me.
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

I love the 68 Comeback Special very much, but my all time fav is TTWII. I think he was on the top physically in that time, he was in his best shape in 1970. And he had so much energy like never before or after I think. It doesn't mean that I don't like the Aloha From Hawaii concert, I love it very very much. He was already very ill at his last concert in 1977, but his voice was still amazing, he was still the king there.

I LOVE
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    ♪ ♫♪ ♫♪ ♫♪ [̲̅̅E̲̅][̲̅̅L̲̅][̲̅̅V̲̅][̲̅̅I̲​̅][̲̅̅S̲̅] [̲̅̅P̲̅][̲̅̅R̲̅][̲̅̅E̲̅][̲̅̅S̲​̅][̲̅̅L̲̅[̲̅̅E̲̅][̲̅̅Y̲̅] ♫♪ ♫♪ ♫♪
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

My page on YouTube and on MyElvisWorld:
    http://www.youtube.com/cibetty, http://www.myelvisworld.com/cibetty

Quote Originally Posted by cibetty View Post
    He was already very ill at his last concert in 1977, but his voice was still amazing, he was still the king there.
    The CBS Special is not from his last concert though.
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

Quote Originally Posted by BradM View Post
    Easy >> 1968 NBC Special

Why you ask ? It's presley at the top, he proved people he still had it, that he wasn't washed up, he showed them he was still the King Of Rock N Roll. Probably the greatest moment in the history of music.

One thing, where's Elvis On Tour ?

And how anyone could put EIC 1977 in the same category as TTWII, Aloha, and especially the '68 Special is beyond me.
    Sorry, I guess since it hasn't been re-released in DVD format with lots of publicity, but just forgot about Elvis on Tour. I agree with you that his 68 special was the absolute best, but that is not the opinion of everyone - hence the reason why I created this thread.

University of Memphis

Hard.
    But TTWII, thats the day i fell in love...

It's a real hard question but it's either the '68 comeback or TTWII without a doubt.

I voted for TTWII. Sure, it doesn't have the kind of trying out style like the Comeback special but in addition to the rockabilly feelin' it offers some of Elvis' most wonderful ballads as well.

Physically Elvis was on top on both occasions, I think.

The Aloha is a somewhat polished ballad-style concert for a worldwide sophisticated? audience. A try not to offend anybody on the one hand or his aim to prove the whole world what a great singer he is on the other. What ever the reason was for choosing that repertoire the whole concert misses the typical dynamic, action and interaction with the audience and the band.

I miss On Tour, too. Elvis wasn't in that perfect shape as he had been two years before but the cameras caught some outstanding performances (e.g. Hampton Roads). The film also brings out Elvis' passion for gospel music, so it's really missing in the pole.

Greetings,

Thomas

Although I think that '68 Comeback Special is already a great moment of his career...well it's nothing compares to TTWII...those shows were simply perfect and we have everything Elvis could show to his audience...charisma, energy, passion, sensuality....my vote goes to this one

All of the mentioned performances above are outstanding and "the best" in their own way, because Elvis changed so much over the decades.
    But, If i have to choose one, I'd go for Aloha From Hawaii. This show is special for me and I think Elvis both looked and sounded awesome.

i voted for thats the way it is. i just cant help it. Elvis looked so good and looked like he felt good. He really had some fun with this one. TTWII is for sure my favorite preformance ever!

Quote Originally Posted by cibetty View Post
    He was already very ill at his last concert in 1977, but his voice was still amazing, he was still the king there.
    Quote Originally Posted by BradM View Post
    The CBS Special is not from his last concert though.
    I think that what Betti meant was that was his last concert tour, and yes he looked really bad wether you are referring to June 21st or June 26th.

...well it's nothing compares to TTWII...

June 27th 1968 can compare to it pretty easily !

I voted for TTWII, even though I also loved the 68' special! I just think TTWII had more energy!

franny

International Level SeeSeeRider777's Avatar
    Aloha From Hawaii! That was a singing clinic.
    "When I was a child, ladies and gentlemen, I was a dreamer. I read comic books, and I was a hero in the movie. So every dream that I ever dreamed has come true a hundred times. I learned very early in life that without a song, the day would never end; without a song, a man ain't got a friend; without a song, the road would never bend; without a song. So I keep singing a song." - Elvis Presley

I voted for 68.
    TTWII would be next but put in perspective and considering his health EIC is up there too.
    Aloha is last. He was totally professional but lacked the spark, energy and humour that marked a great Elvis concert.

Quote Originally Posted by Burning_Love View Post
    Hard.
    But TTWII, thats the day i fell in love...
    I feel the same. TTWII made me a fan. I watched it probably a thousand-times and these performaces still amazing for me.
    "Don't criticize what you don't understand, son, you never walked in that man's shoes."

I still love the '68 Comeback Special. He was like a parched man dying for a drink when he got up there and poured out his soul (sit-down shows) b/c he had been away from the audience for so long. He was so hungry that it was an awesome perfomance.
    Last edited by ehollier; 05-05-2008 at 05:22 AM.

University of Memphis

I love them all...because each one is unique in it's own right. Whether it was a projection of a healthy, lean, mean Elvis at the height of his career...or an ill, sluggish Elvis at the end of his life...he still gave all he had to give. IMO.

Daddy, I miss you more every day. You will always be my hero..

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    I voted for 68.
    but put in perspective and considering his health EIC is up there too.
    Aloha is last. He was totally professional but lacked the spark, energy and humour that marked a great Elvis concert.
    You are telling me you put EIC ahead of Aloha From Hawaii Each to their own I suppose.

Last time I watched EIC, he didn't seem to have that much spark or energy left either.

Like said before, Aloha From Hawaii was a singing clinic, sure he didn't move around like we seen in TTWII but, but man he sure brought the house down with his voice !

Aloha was everything a concert should have been !

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast