1 50.00%
  • Really Cool

0 0%
  • Don't Care

1 50.00%

Thread: Who Did It First???

Who Did It First???

Hey
    I see that Chris started an Elvis trivia thread, so I thought I would start my own kind of trivia thread Actually something that I have enjoyed doing over the last few years is gathering up originals of the songs that Elvis made famous and as we all know once Elvis sang a song it was his, but I have always been interested in "who did it first", kind of a mystery like Ernst did and does for FTD My research is by no means the final answer and I can only go by what information I have gathered over the last few years, so I am sure there may be some incorrect answers, but it should be fun Anyway here is the first 5 songs...

Who did these songs first (originally)

1. (Marie's The Name) His Latest Flame recorded by Elvis on Monday, 26 June, 1961
    Written by: Pomus; Shuman

2. All Shook Up recorded by Elvis on Saturday, 12 January, 1957
    Written by: Blackwell

3. Always On My Mind recorded by Elvis on Wednesday, 29 March, 1972
    Written by: Carson; James; Christopher

4. Are You Lonesome Tonight? recorded by Elvis on Monday, 4 April, 1960
    Written by: Turk; Handman

5. Blue Christmas recorded by Elvis on Thursday, 5 September, 1957
    Written by: Hayes; Johnson

there you go...
    J.C.

International Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Elvis42
    Hey
    I see that Chris started an Elvis trivia thread, so I thought I would start my own kind of trivia thread Actually something that I have enjoyed doing over the last few years is gathering up originals of the songs that Elvis made famous and as we all know once Elvis sang a song it was his, but I have always been interested in "who did it first", kind of a mystery like Ernst did and does for FTD My research is by no means the final answer and I can only go by what information I have gathered over the last few years, so I am sure there may be some incorrect answers, but it should be fun Anyway here is the first 5 songs...

1. (Marie's The Name) His Latest Flame recorded by Elvis on Monday, 26 June, 1961
    Written by: Pomus; Shuman

2. All Shook Up recorded by Elvis on Saturday, 12 January, 1957

3. Always On My Mind recorded by Elvis on Wednesday, 29 March, 1972
    Written by: Carson; James; Christopher

4. Are You Lonesome Tonight? recorded by Elvis on Monday, 4 April, 1960

5. Blue Christmas recorded by Elvis on Thursday, 5 September, 1957

there you go...
    J.C.
    Brenda Lee recorded Always On My Mind six months before Elvis, although it was written for him. At least that is what I read.....

Quote Originally Posted by Cherokee
    Brenda Lee recorded Always On My Mind six months before Elvis, although it was written for him. At least that is what I read.....
    Cherokee,
    that is the information that I have gathered as well. Following is an excerp (sp?) of the information....

Originally recorded by Brenda Lee in 1971
    Mark James, whose name appears in the writers credits, also wrote "It's Only Love," "Moody Blue" and "Suspicious Minds." Elvis's version was coupled on a single with "Separate Ways." Brenda Lee recorded her version of "Always On My Mind" 6 months before Elvis.

Backstage Pass
    i know that 'are you lonesome tonight' was done by al jolson on the 20's. as far as all shook up i think that elvis was the first one do sing it, other than otis blackwell who did the demo. his latest flame was done by del shannon but if i'm not mistaken it was after elvis' version. and blue christmas i think was originally done by gene autry in the early 50's. good questions . see ya later... simmerrocks

Quote Originally Posted by simmerrocks
    i know that 'are you lonesome tonight' was done by al jolson on the 20's. as far as all shook up i think that elvis was the first one do sing it, other than otis blackwell who did the demo. his latest flame was done by del shannon but if i'm not mistaken it was after elvis' version. and blue christmas i think was originally done by gene autry in the early 50's. good questions . see ya later... simmerrocks

simmerrocks,
    "Are you lonesome tonight" is most associated with Al Jolson, but he did not make a recording until 1950. Elvis was not the first to sing "All Shook Up" in fact there were two other singers who recorded version first in 1956, not includng Blackwell who did the demo. Del Shannon did in fact record the original version of (Marie's The Name) His Latest Flame here is the following info...

Originally recorded by Del Shannon in 1961
    Recorded first by Del Shannon in May 1961, the month before Elvis recorded his version during an all-night session, starting at 6PM on the 25th June and continuing until 7:30 the next morning. Even before Del Shannon's version, failed attempts to record the number had been made by Bobby Vee and Bobby Darin. Sadly, Del Shannon committed suicide early in 1990.

"Blue Christmas" was not first recorded by Gene Autry in the 50's the original version was done in 1948

J.C.
    Last edited by Elvis42; 09-18-2004 at 12:47 PM. Reason: additonal information

ok since two of the five songs have been solved I thought I would add two more to replace them and hopefully keep things moving along

1. All Shook Up recorded by Elvis on Saturday, 12 January, 1957

2. Are You Lonesome Tonight? recorded by Elvis on Monday, 4 April, 1960

3. Blue Christmas recorded by Elvis on Thursday, 5 September, 1957

two new ones...

4. Burning Love recorded by Elvis on Tuesday, 28 March, 1972
    Written by: Linde

5. Blue Hawaii recorded by Elvis on Wednesday, 22 March, 1961
    Written by: Robin; Rainger

Good Luck
    J.C.

Backstage Pass
    i think i got this one . burning love was by arthur alexander before elvis. and blue hawaii was done by bing crosby... thats my final answer . see ya later... simmerrocks

i think i got this one . burning love was by arthur alexander before elvis. and blue hawaii was done by bing crosby... thats my final answer . see ya later... simmerrocks
    Mike,
    Good job

Burning Love recorded by Elvis on Tuesday, 28 March, 1972
    Written by: Linde
    Originally recorded by Arthur Alexander in 1972

Author Dennis Linde recorded his own version of this number in 1973. J. D. Sumner and The Stamps to provide backing vocals on Elvis's recording of Burning Love. This was the first time that Elvis used this group, though he had admired them since before himself becoming a star.

Blue Hawaii recorded by Elvis on Wednesday, 22 March, 1961
    Written by: Robin; Rainger
    Originally recorded by Bing Crosby in 1937

The original was also from a film: Waikiki Wedding. Marilyn Monroe fans might like to know that co-writer Leo Robin also wrote "Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend."

J.C.

All Shook Up recorded by Elvis on Saturday, 12 January, 1957

David Hall

Ned Jakobs

Doye O?Dell

Quote Originally Posted by T_J

David Hall

Ned Jakobs

Doye O?Dell
    T__J,
    Good job

Originally recorded by David Hill in 1956

David Hill was a rock singer from New York. Well, this is a pretty loose use of the word "rock," for he sounds very much like Pat Boone on this number -- need I say more? In 1959 he had some success with the numbers "Two Brothers" and "Living Doll". This was Elvis's first number one hit in the UK. "All Shook Up" spent 30 weeks on the Hot 100 chart in the USA.

Are You Lonesome Tonight? recorded by Elvis on Monday, 4 April, 1960
    Originally recorded by Ned Jakobs in 1927

The number is probably more associated with Al Jolson than with Ned Jakobs (who recorded it on 17 May 1927 for Brunswick), but Jolson did not make a recording until 1950. Like Elvis, Jolson became a legend in his own time, even before he starred in the first "talkies"! Colonel Parker persuaded Elvis to record this number, a favourite of Mrs. Parker's! The arrangement used in Elvis's version is based on the 1950 recording of Are You Lonesome Tonight by the Blue Barron Orchestra. The spoken part is loosely based on a speech by Jacques in Shakespeare's "As You Like It", Act II Scene VII.

Blue Christmas recorded by Elvis on Thursday, 5 September, 1957
    Originally recorded by Doye O'Dell in 1948

Although recorded in 1957 and part of the original "Elvis' Christmas Album," the track was not released on single until 1964, when it reached the top of the Billboard special Christmas Singles chart. Doye was born in 1912. One of his biggest hits was "Old Shep," which he recorded in 1947 (later also recorded by Elvis). In the 1950s he became one of the many singing cowboys in films, though continued his recording career, which remained his most significant activity. Doye O'Dell died in January 2001.

J.C.

Here is some interesting information about the origins of some of the songs Elvis made famous...

a. Can't Help Falling In Love recorded by Elvis on Thursday, 23 March, 1961
    Written by: Peretti; Creatore; Weiss
    Originally recorded by A. Delcroix in 1903

Based on "Plaisir d'Amour" (Pleasure of Love), a song dating from 1785, with original words by Jean-Pierre Claris de Florian and music by Johann Paul Aegidius Martini (Schwarzendorf). The words first appeared in de Florian's novel "C?lestine" and, because of its context there, the song was also known as "Romance du chevrier" (Romance of the goatherd). It was later adapted in English as "The Joy of Love." Recorded innumerable times by everyone and his mother, the very earliest recording seems to have been made by A. Delcroix (listed on label as "Mons. A. Delcroix" -- very French!) on Odeon 33089 in 1903. "Can't Help Falling In Love" is an adaption of the original tune with new words, written for "Blue Hawaii," by George Weiss.

Clambake recorded by Elvis on Wednesday, 22 February, 1967
    Written by: Weisman; Wayne
    Originally recorded by Henry Whitter (harmonica solo) in 1924

There can be little doubt that the chorus of this number is a simple rewrite of the traditional "Shortnin' Bread". Whitter recorded for the Okeh and Victor labels. The original title, "Shortnin' Bread" appears in numerous forms, including "Shortenin'" and "Shortening" and "Saltin'"; one recording lists it as "Salt Rising Bread". There seems to be utter confusion about the origins of the song!

Dark Moon recorded by Elvis on ?, 1966
    Written by: Miller
    Originally recorded by Bonnie Guitar in 1957

"Dark Moon" was written by Ned Miller in 1957. Several artists recorded the number that year, but Bonnie Guitar's version seems to have been the first. She was beaten in the charts, however, by Gale Storm, who reached number 4 in Billboard's Top 100, Bonnie only getting as far as number 6. Elvis's version is an informal recording, probably made in 1966. It was discovered by the late Joan Deary of RCA records when she searched Graceland after Elvis's death, in the hope of finding some overlooked recordings.

Fool recorded by Elvis on Tuesday, 28 March, 1972
    Written by: Sigman; Last
    Originally recorded by Wayne Newton in 1969

Although Wayne Newton was the first to record a version of this number with the name "Fool" in 1972, the real "original" was made by composer and band-leader James Last. His version, titled "No Words," appeared on his 1971 LP, "Star Portrait."

My Way recorded by Elvis on Thursday, 10 June, 1971
    Written by: Revaux; Fran?ois; Thibaut
    Originally recorded by Paul Anka (?) in 1969

In fact, Paul Anka deserves two question marks. The song was originally recorded in French by Claude Fran?ois in 1967, as "Comme d'Habitude" -- that's the first question mark cleared up. So why a second? Well, none other than young David Bowie recorded an earlier English translation, titled "Even A Fool Learns To Love," in 1968. Who said it was Frank's song? Anyway, Anka bought the rights to the song after having heard the French version and when Sinatra asked him to write a song for him (Sinatra was toying with the idea of early retirement), he offered him "My Way." Incidentally, Claude Fran?ois recorded the English version shortly before he was killed when a hair-drier fell into his bath water!

So Are we having any fun yet? (h)
    Okay here are the next five songs...

1. Love Me recorded by Elvis on Saturday, 1 September, 1956
    Written by: Leiber; Stoller

2. That's All Right Mama recorded by Elvis on Monday, 5 July, 1954
    Written by: Crudup

3. Tiger Man recorded by Elvis on Thursday, 27 June, 1968
    Written by: Louis; Burns

4. Too Much recorded by Elvis on Sunday, 2 September, 1956
    Written by: Rosenberg; Weinman

5. Trying To Get To You recorded by Elvis on Monday, 11 July, 1955
    Written by: Singleton; McCoy

Good Luck
    J.C.
    Last edited by Elvis42; 09-19-2004 at 01:59 PM. Reason: additional information

Here is some more interesting information about the origins of some of the songs Elvis made famous...

Uncle Pen recorded by Elvis on 1955
    Written by: Monroe
    Originally recorded by Bill Monroe in 1951

"Uncle Pen" is a semi-biographical song about Bill Monroe's uncle and influence, Pendleton Vanderver. There is no absolute certainty that Elvis actually ever recorded this number in the studio. It appeared in the sheet music collection "Elvis' Juke Box Favourites" in 1956 and rumours of a recording made while at Sun continue to do the rounds. However, it does seem probable that a recording of Elvis performing the number live does exist (he is known to have sung it live -- he did so on his first appearance at the Louisiana Hayride). A recording has been released on the Suedes label (KEYS 1955-578-1), and when the track was played to Scotty Moore a while back in Denmark, after just a few seconds he said, "It is Elvis and it's me playing the guitar." At least, that's what is written. However, another source indicates that this and the other song on the Suedes release ("Give Me More, More, More Of Your Kisses") are really by Paul Ansell who fronts the group No.9, with some sound effects to "age" the recording.

Who's Sorry Now? recorded by Elvis on Wednesday, 28 May, 1958
    Written by: Snyder; Kalman; Ruby
    Originally recorded by Ishman Jones in 1923

The unofficial release features Elvis's then girlfriend Anita Wood singing, with Elvis accompanying her on piano. The recording was made during a visit by Elvis to Eddie Fadal's home in Waco, Texas, during Elvis's early priod in the army.

Wonderful World recorded by Elvis on Thursday, 7 March, 1968
    Written by: Fletcher; Flett
    Originally recorded by Cliff Richard in 1968

No, not the famous Louis Armstrong number, nor the similarly titled "It's A Wonderful World" from Elvis's film "Roustabout." Actually, this number was originally one of the preselections of the UK's 1968 Eurovision Song Contest entry. All six entries were sung by Cliff Richard, the winner being "Congratulations" (which went on to come second in the Eurovision Song Contest itself). "Wonderful World" came third in the preselections. Cliff recorded his version at the beginning of February, just five weeks before Elvis's cover.

Wooden Heart recorded by Elvis on Thursday, 28 April, 1960
    Written by: Wise; Weisman; Twomey
    Originally recorded by Theodore Pusinelli & Hackert (Muss i denn...) in 1901

Based on a Swabian folk tune, this is an example of an Urbummellied; Abschiedslied, but is better known by its opening lyrics in Swabian dialect, Muss i denn, muss i denn zum St?dtele hinaus. Swabia was a medieval duchy in what is now south-western Germany. (The original recording was a clarinet piece.)

Thrill Of Your Love recorded by Elvis on Monday, 4 April, 1960
    Written by: Kesler
    Originally recorded by Carl McVoy in 1958

Stan Kesler wrote five songs recorded by Elvis: "I'm Right, You're Left, She's Gone," "I Forgot To Remember To Forget," "If I'm A Fool For Loving You," "Playing For Keeps" and this gospel-like "Thrill Of Your Love." Carl McVoy was an older cousin of Jerry Lee Lewis and seems to have given him some early piano-playing lessons! His 1958 version of "Thrill Of Your Love" was called "A Woman's Love" and remained unissued at the time, but has since appeared on compilations.

Backstage Pass
    ok here goes. tiger man originally done by rufus thomas before elvis. love me was done by i beleive a duo named ruth and willie. trying to get to you was done by roy orbision and the teen kings, before our king did it . as for too much i have no idea . hope i'm right again that will make me two for two, and maybe i could win a 'ten pound box of broken records'. now what elvis film was that said in by elvis . see ya later... simmerrocks

ok here goes. tiger man originally done by rufus thomas before elvis. love me was done by i beleive a duo named ruth and willie. trying to get to you was done by roy orbision and the teen kings, before our king did it . as for too much i have no idea . hope i'm right again that will make me two for two, and maybe i could win a 'ten pound box of broken records'. now what elvis film was that said in by elvis . see ya later... simmerrocks
    Mike,
    Not bad but not correct

Tiger Man recorded by Elvis on Thursday, 27 June, 1968
    Written by: Louis; Burns
    Originally recorded by Rufus Thomas in 1953

Rufus Thomas's release prior to "Tiger Man" was also animalistic -- "Bear Cat," an answer-song to "Hound Dog." Joe Hill Louis (or was it Lewis?), one of the writers of "Tiger Man," played on the original recording, though it was credited to Rufus Thomas. "Tiger Man" was Rufus Thomas's follow-up to "Bear Cat," a sort of answer song to Willie Mae "Big Mama" Thornton's "Hound Dog."

Love Me recorded by Elvis on Saturday, 1 September, 1956
    Written by: Leiber; Stoller
    Originally recorded by Willie and Ruth in 1954

Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller stand amongst the really important Rock'n'Roll writers, and Elvis recorded a number of their compositions. However, they apparently wrote "Love Me" as a country music parody and called it one of the worst songs they'd written. Presumably this was before they had heard Elvis's version!

Trying To Get To You recorded by Elvis on Monday, 11 July, 1955
    Written by: Singleton; McCoy

(it's interesting to note that Roy Orbison also recorded this track in 1955, when it was released on the Je-Wel label as the B-side of his original recording of "Ooby Dooby," a track he would later re-record at Sun!)

The original of "Trying To Get To You" was recorded in 1953 and not by Roy Orbison

J.C.

Wow!! Nobody else knows the answers here?

J.C.

this is a heavyweight elvis trivia J.C ..