Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Elvis's women

Talk about mixed emotions! (Ya know the definition of a mixed emotion is when your Mom-in-law drives over a cliff in your brand new Lexus) anyway---

For me this is where I have a problem personally. I am a prude, too, Missy. I believe in matrimony. It isn't for everyone, and that's fine, too. But with Elvis - and I, too, believe there's more tall tale than truth floating around - but if I had met Elvis, I think I would have been bending alot of rules! From all I've read, he was a very charismatic & persuasive person. I find it easy to forgive Elvis a lot of things I wouldn't forgive in anybody else. That's something I have to deal with tho. It's Elvis - people would have to know that I MET Elvis - the rest is none of their business! I do hope I would keep private things private.

Originally Posted by Jess
    You know, some say, as well as some religions teach, that thinking about it, is just as bad as doing it, so most of us are guilty.

Cameron - I believe they mean you just can't enjoy thinking about it. It would be hard to turn our thoughts off.

Just pretend, I'm holding you, and whispering things soft and low.
    And think of me, how it's gonna be and just pretend I didn't go

Quote Originally Posted by Lisarose View Post
    It's Elvis - people would have to know that I MET Elvis - the rest is none of their business! I do hope I would keep private things private.

I call keeping private things private...CLASS! (I think Elvis would, too) I think Elvis expected that from people he chose to call "friend" ...or "lover". Such a shame so many let him down in his expectation of them.

I will never forget you Rosanne.
    R.I.P. 4-27-59~7-22-09

Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post

Two of the best, er, "relationships" I had were with married women. Do I feel guilty?

Naaah! 'Coz I wasn't the one being unfaithful to anyone (nor have I ever been unfaithful to a woman). And no, I didn't initiate either of the affairs, I just went along for the ride, as it were.

(I guess that answers the question posed in another thread, "How are you similar to Elvis" ...)

Good one Getlo!

Quote Originally Posted by SweetCaroline View Post
    I call keeping private things private...CLASS! (I think Elvis would, too) I think Elvis expected that from people he chose to call "friend" ...or "lover". Such a shame so many let him down in his expectation of them.
    Great comment Carole....I completely agree with you. You grow up hearing that boys shouldn't kiss and tell, well..neither should real ladies!

Quote Originally Posted by Lisarose View Post

For me this is where I have a problem personally. I am a prude, too, Missy. I believe in matrimony. It isn't for everyone, and that's fine, too. But if I had met Elvis, I think I would have been bending alot of rules! From all I've read, he was a very charismatic & persuasive person.
    I agree with both comments....I guess I would have been a great big hypocrite(and I HATE hypocrits), but I am afraid that there would have some real rule bending in my house, had I been married at the time. Let's be real...we are NOT talking about having an affair with a man...we are talking about having an affair with ELVIS!!!

It would be hard to resist Elvis, I think.
    Virtually impossible I would imagine. And hey...if he just wanted to sleep with me I could have handled that too. I know I would not have closed my eyes the entire night...ladies-can you imagine lying there watching Elvis sleep in the bed? Oh Lordy...it may be my bedtime on that one.

I agree with both comments....I guess I would have been a great big hypocrite(and I HATE hypocrits), but I am afraid that there would have some real rule bending in my house, had I been married at the time. Let's be real...we are NOT talking about having an affair with a man...we are talking about having an affair with ELVIS!!![/QUOTE]

SweetCaroline smiles a understanding smile.

R.I.P. 4-27-59~7-22-09

Quote Originally Posted by The King's Queen View Post
    From the mouths of babes... Great points Danielle! It is soooo easy to fall in love...even when you aren't looking to. And in my opinion, it is more of a 'shame on Elvis' type thing than 'shame on the women'! If my man cheats on me...then why go after the gal??? She didn't owe me anything. He did! And when you get right down to it, desire is a hard thing to keep under control... Some are strong enough...some are not. I think that unless a woman is actually confronted with the chance to be with someone like Elvis...they would never know exactly how they may react, even though you think you know...situations, horomones, and desire sure do have a way of persuading people.... JMO...
    Exactly

MissyM
    You all made good points and I honestly have entertained all of them. But to me it boils down to one thing: with marriage there is a promise of exclusivity. It is was grows a marriage, nurtures it, and nurtures the growth of the people in it. If you can't hold to those promises, why stay in it. It's a compromise, and a corruption of the whole idea of marriage. Strange because I can understand that the bonds/promises were broken and in some ways I don't think Elvis was under and obligation to keep his end of the bargain anymore once Cilla cheated. But I do think he should have ended the marriage first. And untill I don't think that the women should have slept with him. Doing it because it was done to you is no excuse either. Two wrongs don't make a right. Many marriages end up on weak ground. But infedelity is like kicking at the last leg holding it up. It makes it so much more difficult to build it back up. It's just one more huge hurdle/hurt to get over.
    And getlo, it has nothing to do with what we have been taught to feel guilty over. It has more to do with promises made. If one has guilt, then it's because they know that they did not meet the obligations of a promise. And/or they helped someone not meet those obligations.
    There has to be some ground-rules to the institution of marriage or it is a false image kept up and not neccesary.
    I guess it is part of being old-fashioned because for one, even if it was Elvis I could never do it. I simply could not live with myself knowing he had a wife and child. And I find the openess these women have about it, shamefull.
    There was an innocent child involved. I feel that if there was even a hair of a chance for the marriage to survive, I couldn't be the one to rob a child of that chance to have their parents togeather as a family. I could not kick a marriage (or be part of it) while it was down. I couldn't be part of being the straw that breaks it's back.
    I realise that probably this marriage was a lame duck anyway, which makes it all the more harder to respect it, but still it deserved the chance to live and heal.
    Anyway, like I said, I understand what ya'll are saying, but it still makes me kind of feel yucky about the women. And yes, Elvis too. He knew the pain his fathers cheating cause his mother. So he should have known better. I just don't get that part either.

Quote Originally Posted by MissyM View Post
    .....it boils down to one thing: with marriage there is a promise of exclusivity......I can understand that the bonds/promises were broken and in some ways I don't think Elvis was under and obligation to keep his end of the bargain ......he should have ended the marriage first. And untill I don't think that the women should have slept with him. Doing it because it was done to you is no excuse either....... even if it was Elvis I could never do it....

Missy, aside from my thoughts posted yesterday on this topic and in all seriousness, I agree with. Yes, he was ELVIS and he was a SEX SYMBOL and very persuasive and attractive and seemed to always get what he wanted, yada, yada, yada.......and his wife did cheat on him (although I am not sure how he came to know about this???? I've never read that he ever found out about that.), a marriage is a promise of exclusivity and it was broken.
    "More people today should see him not simply as a performer, but as an artist with a great soul."

John Bakke, professor emeritus
    University of Memphis

You all made good points and I honestly have entertained all of them. But to me it boils down to one thing: with marriage there is a promise of exclusivity.
    And I find the openess these women have about it, shamefull.

I do understand what you are saying Missy, thats why I would have been a nice girl and kept my mouth shut! As far as he and Pris both cheating, I always think about the fact that I don't think this was started as a normal marriage to begin with.I don't think my hubs would ever cheat, BUT he didn't decide to marry me because the Col had a gun to his head on one side and Paul B. had a gun to the other side of his head.

MissyM
    Excellent point too utmom. It did start on shaky ground.

All I can say is; I'm glad he took the time to make a little music.
    With all this bedding going on, where he found the time, I have no idea.
    "I have learned never to ridicule any man's opinion, however strange it may seem."

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    All I can say is; I'm glad he took the time to make a little music.
    With all this bedding going on, where he found the time, I have no idea.

Since (unfortunately j/k) I wasn't one of the people involved...and I don't KNOW what did or didn't REALLY go down (or who j/k)... and/or the emotional state, vulnerablity, or anything else of what was happening at those moments, for those human-beings, and in those times...I simply refuse to judge it. All I know is I adore ELVIS...the man and his music and... that is all that REALLY matters to me.

R.I.P. 4-27-59~7-22-09

I simply refuse to judge it. All I know is I adore ELVIS...the man and his music and... that is all that REALLY matters to me.
    Amen to that Carole! Well said

Well, in all honesty, I think my hubby is smart enough to know that given the chance....there woudn't be any way I would have said no!! Call me whatever but the truth is the truth!!!!!!

Forever Best Friends

Quote Originally Posted by TotallyInsane View Post
    Well, in all honesty, I think my hubby is smart enough to know that given the chance....there woudn't be any way I would have said no!! Call me whatever but the truth is the truth!!!!!!

Well said Gail. I don't think I could have said it any better.

If your hubby looked like this....and then Elvis came knocking at your door, WHAT WOULD YOU DO????Click image for larger version. 

Name:	poster83304565.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	23234

Shame on you, Rosanne!!!!
    "More people today should see him not simply as a performer, but as an artist with a great soul."

John Bakke, professor emeritus
    University of Memphis

Well, I think every one knows I am not a Priscilla fan but he was her husband. Even if a marriage is in deep troubled waters how does anyone know if that can be repaired! I wouldn't want to be the one to put the nail in the coffin. But just morally I could never do it even if it was Elvis. I know Priscilla cheat too but to that I say, how can a man sleep with someone else's wife?? And especially when there was a child involved too? And man, they are so open about it like it was something cool. I know Kathy W. says she ended it for that reason but she should have never started it in the first place. For a great part of my marriage I've had women trying to take up with or sleep with my husband cause of the music business and let me tell you these women don't care!!!!
    Both Elvis and Priscilla were wrong to cheat! Also, those they cheated with, were also wrong! Who won in that situation? Nobody! Some women don't care, but when it happens to them, then they will care...

I'm not judging the person but their actions. To me their actions are disgusting. I'm not saying they are bad people per say but they did a bad thing. No???
    It has nothing to do with judging someone. It's just wrong and yes disgusting!

I get the part about who he was but that still doesn't change my mind. I guess I must be a prude????? Old fashioned??? I can't help it, it just bothers me, always has.
    Then, I'm a prude too! Oh well!

franny

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast