Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 43

Thread: The Last Photo for Thirty Pieces of Silver

  1. #21
    TCB Mafia P.S. Annie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,055
    Interesting thread. Sorry I dont have more info to participate but it is good to read about it. Of course I've seen the picture, and I found it surreal and he looked younger in my eyes.

  2. #22
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    884
    Cherokee - You may not have said that JE performed CPR, but you did give the impression that CPR was not / unable to be performed. It was indeed, both while awaiting the ambulance and in transit to BMH.

    On a separate note: it took so many to lift the coffin because the design of the coffin was extremely heavy.

    -------------------------

    Have spoken to JE in great detail a number of times about that fateful day:

    JE denies ever stating the stories about "the tongue" and "the teeth." IMO, these are - as to be expected - morbid embellishment & hyperbole that come with the passage of time.

    JE's initial reports that he found the body where done so as to protect a very young Ginger's reputation and shield her from the onslaught of the media microscope that was to follow. It was also done to "TCB" .............. by those who were accustomed to doing so. Ginger was initially told not say anything and leave out unsavory details. The differing stories all started, here ........ and mushroomed into the multiple accounts that we have all heard today.

    Only four people saw EP on the floor before he was moved ---> in chronological order:

    Alden > The Maid > Strada > Esposito. Alden has much to add to the story, the maid only glanced @ EP before summoning others, Strada never spoke officially about it, & Esposito was the first person to touch & actually move Elvis.

    Everyone else (Vernon, Stanley, Hodge, Smith, and others) arrived much later. Some, like Geller, were never even physically present in the bathroom that day.

    There are many misconceptions / false tales from August 16, 1977. All accounts have pieces of TRUTH within - influenced by the source's personality (and sometimes, agenda).


    - Capt. "EL."

  3. #23
    Cadillac King
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    377
    Can I ask, with the benefit of hindsight, what do you all think of the decision to have a public viewing of Elvis' body? Even if a photograph had not been taken and published, do you think it was a good idea? I don't......I think that Elvis was basically a private person, and this should have been taken into consideration.
    Carolyn
    "Walk A Block In My Socks"

  4. #24
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    884
    According to Vernon, it is what EP wanted.


    - Capt. "EL."

  5. #25
    From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    where Kentucky Rain falls
    Posts
    5,175
    Interesting. While it is true Elvis indeed cherished his privacy, I can see him wanting the fans to have one last chance to see him.

    By the way, thanks, Cherokee, for posting that page from the magazine--that's what I was referring to. The unretouched photo looks so much better; they should have left it alone. What they did to the chin especially is a disgrace...Well, paying a relative to take a picture of Elvis in his coffin for publishing purposes is the real disgrace.
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

  6. #26
    International Level
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    750
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonniebealestreet
    Interesting. While it is true Elvis indeed cherished his privacy, I can see him wanting the fans to have one last chance to see him.

    By the way, thanks, Cherokee, for posting that page from the magazine--that's what I was referring to. The unretouched photo looks so much better; they should have left it alone. What they did to the chin especially is a disgrace...Well, paying a relative to take a picture of Elvis in his coffin for publishing purposes is the real disgrace.
    You're welcome, Lonnie Well, the real disgrace is of course the relative TAKING the money! Goodness gracious, what a lovely family gesture

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Elwood David
    Cherokee - You may not have said that JE performed CPR, but you did give the impression that CPR was not / unable to be performed. It was indeed, both while awaiting the ambulance and in transit to BMH.
    I didn't give that impression! I merely stated that there were accounts by people around Elvis of that tongue situation. I wasn't there, so I don't know the details other than those I read, whether true or not. I don't believe any of us on this board were there in person at the time, so I guess that's how we get our information: from hearing and reading accounts from those who were there.
    As a matter of fact somebody, I believe it was David Stanley when interviewed for a Dutch religious channel, said that, I believe back in the late eighties or in the early nineties. I'll look up that tape in the weekend.
    Now I don't put much credibility in ANYTHING the Stanleys have to say, but that doesn't change the fact it was said.

    As far as the viewing goes: again I heard and read it was decided mainly to "please the crowd" i.e. to make sure there was no doubt that Elvis had really died. Of course the fact that some who viewed the body claimed it didn't look like him, followed by the badly retouched photo, almost botched that theory

  7. #27
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    884
    One must also be able to sift what is heard thru a filter, so as to re-piece the pertinent and OBJECTIVE facts back together for a more accurate portrait of what actually transpired. One must also have access to as many possible pieces and parts of the puzzle .......... not just what has been published or said in media interviews, etc..

    In that sense, I assure you, we are not all relying on the same information in arriving at our respective information / facts.

    ----------------------------------

    As just one example:

    Here's a critical piece of objective thinking that eludes everybody when discussing this topic and rehashing all of the morbid embellishment that goes along with it:

    The ME's initial report, makes no mention of any mouth abnormalities (tongue / teeth). The same report does list a thoracotomy mark (where the chest was incised during the code) and a pale pressure mark on the side of EP's head (from being on the ground for so long). In other words, no tongue was bitten & no teeth were sacrificed.

    Objectively & critically evaluating the information is essential to cut thru the chaff.


    - Capt. "EL."
    Last edited by Captain Elwood David; 09-23-2004 at 02:39 AM.

  8. #28
    TCB Mafia P.S. Annie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,055
    Quote Originally Posted by carolynlm
    Can I ask, with the benefit of hindsight, what do you all think of the decision to have a public viewing of Elvis' body? Even if a photograph had not been taken and published, do you think it was a good idea? I don't......I think that Elvis was basically a private person, and this should have been taken into consideration.
    I think he would have wanted that the fans had the opportunity to say goodbye.

  9. #29
    International Level
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    750
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Elwood David
    One must also be able to sift what is heard thru a filter, so as to re-piece the pertinent and OBJECTIVE facts back together for a more accurate portrait of what actually transpired. One must also have access to as many possible pieces and parts of the puzzle .......... not just what has been published or said in media interviews, etc..

    In that sense, I assure you, we are not all relying on the same information in arriving at our respective information / facts.

    ----------------------------------

    As just one example:

    Here's a critical piece of objective thinking that eludes everybody when discussing this topic and rehashing all of the morbid embellishment that goes along with it:

    The ME's initial report, makes no mention of any mouth abnormalities (tongue / teeth). The same report does list a thoracotomy mark (where the chest was incised during the code) and a pale pressure mark on the side of EP's head (from being on the ground for so long). In other words, no tongue was bitten & no teeth were sacrificed.

    Objectively & critically evaluating the information is essential to cut thru the chaff.


    - Capt. "EL."
    Didn't the initial report also give very wrong numbers as far as drugs found, and also open spaces where info should be filled in?

    We are all willing to learn as much as possible, so if you have more info that is actual and factual, please do come forward and enlighten us ignoramuses

  10. #30
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    884
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherokee
    Didn't the initial report also give very wrong numbers as far as drugs found, and also open spaces where info should be filled in?
    The "initial report" that I'm referring to ----> No, on both counts.

    You're going to have to be a little more specific in your retorts.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cherokee
    We are all willing to learn as much as possible, so if you have more info that is actual and factual, please do come forward and enlighten us ignoramuses
    Your words, not mine.

    Would be happy to "enlighten", those that are sincere, and without sarcasm.


    - Capt. "EL."

  11. #31
    International Level
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    750
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Elwood David
    The "initial report" that I'm referring to ----> No, on both counts.

    You're going to have to be a little more specific in your retorts.


    Your words, not mine.

    Would be happy to "enlighten", those that are sincere, and without sarcasm.


    - Capt. "EL."
    Hmmmm, you remind me of someone I've seen on some other MB

  12. #32
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    884
    Capt. N8, at your service.

    (It isn't a State Secret, you know).

    ----------------------

    - Capt. "EL."

  13. #33
    International Level
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    750
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Elwood David
    Capt. N8, at your service.

    (It isn't a State Secret, you know).

    ----------------------

    - Capt. "EL."
    A.K.A. Elvis himselvis (I saw your birthday in your profile )

    Anyway, in that case I'll be blunt, this is not aimed at you personally, just my opinion about the general atmosphere on that other MB:

    Quote Originally Posted by Cherokee
    Okay, this is probably going to sound like a rant, but it's not, just my general opinion and not aimed at Nightrider or anybody in particular (on this board anyway ).

    I'd say my limit is REAL LIFE. Things like bills, rent, food, gas, clothes, medication whatever.
    My personal belief is that the depth of one's "being a fan" cannot and should not be measured by what one owns of/about one's object of affection i.e. one's "idol".

    I've read some threads on "that other board" where some annoyingly obnoxious know it alls and "own it alls" terrorize anybody who "doesn't know what they know" or "doesn't own what they own" about Elvis.
    To me that is just pathetic and terribly bigheaded. I'd say that only proves they know shockingly little about Elvis whose motto was "I try to treat people the way I would like to be treated".
    Bullying people off a message board because they do not express or experience their fandom the way these "experts" feel everybody should , is something I have a very strong feeling would piss off Elvis royally
    But, like I said, that's what I, as a lurker, have seen happen on that other MB which is one reason why I will never join it. I always hate the company of self important nobodys.

    So, speaking solely for me: I love Elvis dearly, will try to expand my modest collection with things I find or suspect to be interesting (doesn't always work, some DVD's in particular are disappointing) but my Real Life always comes first and frankly I really don't need to have all that much. I have a (very) little of everything, except FTD's or soundboards whatever the hell those may be : DVD's, official CD's, books, tapes, calendars, commemorative plates... but really nothing compared to what I've read most other fans have. Would I like to have more? Sure. Do I need to have every single release be it DVD, print or Audio? No way
    Does that make me any less of a fan? Absolutely not.
    He's in my heart, I can visualize him if I need to and I just love him, warts and all

    This was a response in this thread.

    What I mean to say is that we are all fans of the man, some of us apparently know more than others about the man, which is fine. What is not fine is when those who know more act condescendingly towards those who do not know as much as they claim to know, and who only want to learn more about Elvis.
    There's no need to do that as there is no need to assume they also know the motivation behind each and every post of other members of that (or this) MB.
    We're all supposedly adults (save for the few teenagers here ) and we should all get along. After all: we all have in common that we love that one, wonderful, man Elvis

  14. #34
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    884
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherokee
    A.K.A. Elvis himselvis (I saw your birthday in your profile )
    I see you got my joke.

    --------------------------------

    In other words: I'm one of the bad guys from that "other" MB ............


    - Capt. "EL."

  15. #35
    International Level
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    750
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Elwood David
    I see you got my joke.

    --------------------------------

    In other words: I'm one of the bad guys from that "other" MB ............


    - Capt. "EL."

    Don't laugh, but that's REALLY my birthday.......just 30 years later.....

    Anyway, the reason why I DID register on this board and not that other one, was because here the more "knowing" fans help the others out with their knowledge in a friendly way. Not in a "Haha you simpleton, you've got it all wrong and I know SOOOOO much more than you, but you have to beg me before I'll share my vast knowledge" type of way.
    Therefore I hope you will try to understand, be kind and help those who are here to learn, and respond to their posts in a respectful way :worthy:

  16. #36
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    884
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherokee
    Therefore I hope you will try to understand, be kind and help those who are here to learn, and respond to their posts in a respectful way :worthy:
    Seriously, .....

    I do respect your opinion of me. Consider it understood.

    -------------------------------------

    This thread has gone way off-topic and is not about ME. I kindly request that any issues you have with me, be addressed by way of PM's direcly to me PRIVATELY.

    My thanks in advance.

    --------------------------------------


    - Capt. "EL."

  17. #37
    International Level
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    750
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Elwood David
    Seriously, .....

    I do respect your opinion of me. Consider it understood.

    -------------------------------------

    This thread has gone way off-topic and is not about ME. I kindly request that any issues you have with me, be addressed by way of PM's direcly to me PRIVATELY.

    My thanks in advance.

    --------------------------------------


    - Capt. "EL."
    That's a big 10-4, good buddy

  18. #38
    Backstage Pass Elvis42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Pennsylvania U.S.A.
    Posts
    139
    I feel like we should start calling this a "soap opera" How about "As The Screen Scrolls?" j/k
    I only have one question at this point..what the H*ll ever happened to Billy Mann, (that was the ***** family member who took the picture right?)

    J.C.

  19. #39
    I do have to agree somewhat with "Cherokee". I came to this mb because it seemed to have a more "tolerant, open minded and kind hearted approach" towards the opinions and level of knowledge of others. I hope that doesn't change, but I can sense some condescending attitudes beginning. It makes some of us, who may have less knowledge, or enthusiasm about something that someone else does not etc., feel like this is not a place where we can openly speak without being criticized. Therefore, we are silenced. And is that the point? To silence everyone not up to someone else's supposed level? Or speak and run the risk of being humiliated and degraded? I am even fearful of speaking now to say this. Afraid of what attack may be launched on me. I am interested in learning things also. But attitude and the way things are said is key.

  20. #40
    International Level
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    750
    Quote Originally Posted by Elvis42
    I feel like we should start calling this a "soap opera" How about "As The Screen Scrolls?" j/k
    I only have one question at this point..what the H*ll ever happened to Billy Mann, (that was the ***** family member who took the picture right?)

    J.C.
    Hey JC?

    "If you're lookin' for trouble....."
    Nah, just kidding

    Didn't somebody in the beginning of this thread say he died, way back? I forgot.....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Pieces Of My Life
    By Sonny in forum Import CD's (information and reviews)
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-01-2013, 10:07 PM
  2. Replies: 30
    Last Post: 01-30-2007, 08:52 AM
  3. Pieces Of My Life
    By nothingville in forum (alternate) Artwork discussion and Work-In-Progress
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-11-2006, 06:01 PM
  4. Who is OVER thirty??
    By ComeBackChick in forum Off topic
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-27-2005, 09:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •