Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 43

Thread: The Last Photo for Thirty Pieces of Silver

  1. #1
    International Level NEA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    626

    The Last Photo for Thirty Pieces of Silver

    Hi

    Which so-called Presley Family member took the last photo of Elvis lying in state and was paid a huge amount of money by the National Enquirer for doing this sordid deed?

    What are the rumours?

  2. #2
    From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    where Kentucky Rain falls
    Posts
    5,175
    Reportedly it was Billy Mann, a (distant?) cousin.
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

  3. #3
    International Level NEA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    626

    Distant Cousin

    Billy Mann - a distant cousin...distant here being the operative word.

    Any ideas how the finger pointed at this Mann character and whose side of the family is he from?

    Just curious...

  4. #4
    From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    where Kentucky Rain falls
    Posts
    5,175
    Hmm, I'm not sure exactly how the guy was related to Elvis, and he may not have even been a distant cousin. But I have only heard his name in reference to his having taken that picture, so I'm guessing he wasn't too close.

    Don't know for sure either how it was determined to be him--sorry.
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

  5. #5
    International Level NEA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    626

    More on Billy Mann

    Thanks for your info LonnieBealeStreet!

    I've just learned that Billy Mann was Elvis' third cousin and he was quite friendly in the very early Memphis days with Elvis and Gene Smith. And, he eventually became a hairstylist and apparently was mysteriously killed in a car accident many years ago.

    Can anyone else add more on this now deceased character?

  6. #6
    International Level NEA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    626

    Feelings

    I realise that once Elvis' immediate family and friends found out about this happening they must have been absolutely livid with anger.....or did they not find out that this Billy Mann, third cousin, was the culprit and the National Enquirer was the instigator?....What was Vernon and Priscilla's reactions?

  7. #7
    Heartbreak Hotel, Room 11 Albert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Assen, Netherlands
    Posts
    6,349
    Because this is somehow a bit morbid topic, many Elvisfans don't like to talk about this subject. But Ive always been very interested in these little facts around his death.

    This picture must have been a slap in the face to Elvis' family and close friends. So why are their reactions to this unknown? Are legal actions taken to this person? If not, why not? Who really was this person? Is he being interviewed by magazines later on?

    If I would have been older in '77, those would have been my questions when I would have seen that picture for the very first time...
    ‎"A year from now, you'll wish you had started today"

    Follow TCB-World on Twitter for website updates and Elvisnews: http://twitter.com/tcbworldcom






  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    884

    Infamous Coffin Photo

    .......... EP was indeed sold out in life, ............ as well as in death, ...... the first attempts starting with this incident ........ before EP was even put into the ground.

    Very sad and very disprespectful to EP the human being & the loved ones he left behind.

    -----------------------

    Tabloid publications had initially attempted to photograph EP while in the morgue @ BMH, but were caught.

    Billy Mann was a distant cousin of EP's. The NE had been actively seeking out willing participants to do the deed using an extremely small hidden camera. They found Mann, and the rest, unfortunately, is history.

    Just to show you how really "close" this distant cousin was to EP, ........ the pic. was taken during the time that public mourners were allowed to pass by the coffin - not during the private cermoney with family & friends.

    Mourners had to pass the coffin very quickly, multiple pics. were snapped rather haphazardly ...... only one usable one resulted.

    Reports vary as to the amount paid, ranging from $10,000 to $75,000 USD. I believe, however, that the actual amount was around $30,000.

    On a another note, Grob offered to resign after it came to light that a coffin photo was snapped & going to be published. It was his job & that of security to prevent just such an event from happening. According to Grob, Vernon was devastated when told.

    Photo is touched up, but definitely real.

    The reports of EP appearing slightly different (in both the photo & at the funeral) are due to the fact that EP had been found hours after being face down on the floor. Needless to say, some permanent distortions resulted.

    ----------------------------

    The subject of EP death is not one for everybody. If this was a bit too graphic, my apologies.

    I also happen to be interested in this topic.


    - Capt. "EL."

  9. #9

    unretouched photo??

    has the original unretouched photo ever surfaced..?

  10. #10
    From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    where Kentucky Rain falls
    Posts
    5,175
    Great info, Captain.

    That's interesting about Grob, actually makes him more likable in my book.

    Regarding Elvis looking different in the coffin, though I know people who saw personally saw him lying in state took note of that too, could some of that public perception be due to their seeing a version of the coffin photo which was not touched up well?

    I'm confused about this, and I don't have any of these things in front of me, but I recall seeing a couple different versions of that photo. In the one I had been used to seeing, Elvis did seem to have a bit of a "pug" nose. Then just in the last few years I saw the photo, and in it his nose looked the way it always did. What I can't remember now is whether this one I saw most recently was the actual one that originally ran in the Enquirer, or if this was one that was touched up later to make it look more like Elvis. Or perhaps the first one was the original image which ran, but it was touched up poorly and that's why his nose looked different. There were some other differences too, though less noticeable.

    But his nose appearing different due to the circumstances of his death makes the most sense, and as you said, people observed the odd appearance from both the photo and seeing him in person. I guess what I need clarification on is which photo is which.

    Actually I think this may be explained in some magazine I have , but I don't have it handy.
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

  11. #11
    International Level
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    750
    NOT TO BE READ BY FOLKS WHO GET UPSET BY READING ABOUT DEAD ELVIS!









    Well, according to many accounts Elvis indeed looked quite unrecognizable when he was found. Rigor mortis and discoloration will do that for you. The mere fact that, according to some accounts, his tongue was half bit off and Joe couldn't open his mouth to try to do mouth to mouth resucistation (sp) does explain why people who passed the casket may have had trouble recognizing "their" Elvis in the figure lying there.....
    Just think of your own experiences when viewing loved ones who'd passed. From my own experience some of my relatives I viewed looked quite different, too and they hadn't even been found in such extreme a condition either......

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    884
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherokee
    Well, according to many accounts Elvis indeed looked quite unrecognizable when he was found. Rigor mortis and discoloration will do that for you.
    Rigor eventually passes. It is the accumulation of fluids due to gravity that can cause "changes."

    Quote Originally Posted by Cherokee
    The mere fact that, according to some accounts, his tongue was half bit off and Joe couldn't open his mouth to try to do mouth to mouth resucistation (sp) does explain why people who passed the casket may have had trouble recognizing "their" Elvis in the figure lying there.....
    I doubt the part about the tongue is true. No notation was made of this on the initial ME's report. Sounds like morbid embellishment by either those that were there, and not, ...... probably both.

    CPR was performed while waiting for the paramedics to arrive: it was not done by JE.


    - Capt. "EL."

  13. #13
    International Level
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    750
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Elwood David
    Rigor eventually passes. It is the accumulation of fluids due to gravity that can cause "changes."


    I doubt the part about the tongue is true. No notation was made of this on the initial ME's report. Sounds like morbid embellishment by either those that were there, and not, ...... probably both.

    CPR was performed while waiting for the paramedics to arrive: it was not done by JE.


    - Capt. "EL."
    Yes I know about rigor mortis passing. All accounts of those who found him, or claim to have found him, state that he was stuck in "that" position, i.e. rigor mortis had not passed then yet.

    I didn't say JE performed CPR.
    I only said what he says on the "The Definitive Elvis" DVD's: he wanted to try CPR, he only knew it from the movies so not the real thing, but he couldn't open Elvis' mouth, so indeed he didn't do it.

  14. #14
    From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    where Kentucky Rain falls
    Posts
    5,175
    Accounts also seem to vary about how Elvis looked in his casket.

    Some have said he looked great--all the puffiness was gone, and he looked like he had when he was younger. According to some, Elvis himself said he would look good in his casket, seeming to know the end was near. So some of these reports point to him being right about that.

    Others said he did not look so good.

    Still others said it looked nothing like him; some of these folks fall into the category of conspiracy theorists, who have claimed things like he was sweating. If I'm not mistaken, cousin Gene Smith actually claimed that you could lift his sideburn up off his face some, that it had been glued down!

    Though I hate the photo was taken, it does indeed make for interesting conversation. I think being intrigued by the details surrounding the death of Elvis can be a healthier interest than just some morbid fascination.
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

  15. #15
    From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    where Kentucky Rain falls
    Posts
    5,175
    I believe in the past Joe might have claimed that he did perform CPR on him.

    It's been claimed that he knocked Elvis's teeth out in an attempt to clear to clear the airway so he could do that. But he vehemently denies this. If he did do that, it seems like he would be frank about it, since he was just trying to save his friend's life. I guess the concern is that it still might strike some as a brutal thing to do, I don't know. But it could also very well be that it simply isn't true.

    So many different accounts, told by people who had a specific agenda (some were protecting Elvis, and some were protecting themselves and their buddies) and others who, just due to the chaotic, traumatizing, and emotionally draining nature of the subject at hand, got confused about certain details, AND simply due to the passage of time and the fading of memories...finding the truth in all of it can be an extremely difficult task.
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

  16. #16
    International Level
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    750
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonniebealestreet
    Accounts also seem to vary about how Elvis looked in his casket.

    Some have said he looked great--all the puffiness was gone, and he looked like he had when he was younger. According to some, Elvis himself said he would look good in his casket, seeming to know the end was near. So some of these reports point to him being right about that.

    Others said he did not look so good.

    Still others said it looked nothing like him; some of these folks fall into the category of conspiracy theorists, who have claimed things like he was sweating. If I'm not mistaken, cousin Gene Smith actually claimed that you could lift his sideburn up off his face some, that it had been glued down!

    Though I hate the photo was taken, it does indeed make for interesting conversation. I think being intrigued by the details surrounding the death of Elvis can be a healthier interest than just some morbid fascination.
    Ditto on all you said

    I remember accounts of some fans who'd past the casket and claimed it didn't look like "their" Elvis, but when they continued describing the way Elvis (should have) looked, they really described Elvis from the fifties and sixties, and we all know Elvis hadn't looked like that for some time already

    And yes, I also remember the stories about the "sweating" Elvis and the sideburns coming off. Then that whole "wax dummy" theory started
    It did always make me wonder, though, why it took 14 grown men such considerable effort to carry the coffin, especially after it was disclosed that all major organs were removed which (according to the medical specialists) accounted for the difference in appearance, no more big belly, and weight.....

  17. #17
    International Level
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    750
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonniebealestreet
    I believe in the past Joe might have claimed that he did perform CPR on him.

    It's been claimed that he knocked Elvis's teeth out in an attempt to clear to clear the airway so he could do that. But he vehemently denies this. If he did do that, it seems like he would be frank about it, since he was just trying to save his friend's life. I guess the concern is that it still might strike some as a brutal thing to do, I don't know. But it could also very well be that it simply isn't true.

    So many different accounts, told by people who had a specific agenda (some were protecting Elvis, and some were protecting themselves and their buddies) and others who, just due to the chaotic, traumatizing, and emotionally draining nature of the subject at hand, got confused about certain details, AND simply due to the passage of time and the fading of memories...finding the truth in all of it can be an extremely difficult task.
    Again: ditto on all you said

    I wrote this in another thread about that:

    You know, you're so right. I had to laugh when LK asked about August 16th, 1977 and they all start saying they were there, but not really THERE, there, just ..... there, in the vicinity and they all saw him being turned over. I was thinking, how big IS that bathroom that it can hold like a whole football team of people and was kind of waiting for Joe to say "Hey! only me and Al Strada were there, with Ginger in the door opening!" but Joe just sat there with this Sphinx like smile.

    Each person over the years has at least told three different versions of their story

  18. #18
    Cadillac King
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    312
    Many theories and stories have been told after Elvis death and I think most are untrue or half true, these stories where told just for the money.
    I was always wondering why the "gang" did so mysterious about Elvis death (Joe claims he found him and linda claimed she found him. )and (like said before, how it was possible that soo many people where in the that bathroom.) I read all above and if these people really did this all they didn't had the smallest respect for Elvis.
    I saw the pic of Elvis in the coffin and Elvis looked like the Elvis of the 50's, begin 60's. I have that pic and to me it ain't creepy or so, just unreal. But it gives me comfort to see Elvis looking peacefully.


    Be safe and take care,


    Christel (TCE)

  19. #19
    International Level
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    750
    Quote Originally Posted by TCE
    Many theories and stories have been told after Elvis death and I think most are untrue or half true, these stories where told just for the money.
    I was always wondering why the "gang" did so mysterious about Elvis death (Joe claims he found him and linda claimed she found him. )and (like said before, how it was possible that soo many people where in the that bathroom.) I read all above and if these people really did this all they didn't had the smallest respect for Elvis.
    I saw the pic of Elvis in the coffin and Elvis looked like the Elvis of the 50's, begin 60's. I have that pic and to me it ain't creepy or so, just unreal. But it gives me comfort to see Elvis looking peacefully.


    Be safe and take care,


    Christel (TCE)
    Everybody has seen the infamous coffin picture, but it hardly looked like a fifties Elvis, amongst other things because it was badly retouched. Later a different version showed up of the pic, which looked more like Elvis..... but still not a fifties Elvis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails eincoffin.jpg  

  20. #20
    TCB Mafia buttonhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Branson, MO
    Posts
    1,569
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherokee
    Everybody has seen the infamous coffin picture, but it hardly looked like a fifties Elvis, amongst other things because it was badly retouched. Later a different version showed up of the pic, which looked more like Elvis..... but still not a fifties Elvis
    yep i agree with you,..as i remember ..larry geller wrote on his book that he had to fix elvis make up since it was badly retouched , later on it was geller who had to borrowed ladies mascara to dye few inches of elvis grey hair, it surely not lookalike elvis in 50s,...after all he was 42 when he died .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Pieces Of My Life
    By Sonny in forum Import CD's (information and reviews)
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-01-2013, 10:07 PM
  2. Replies: 30
    Last Post: 01-30-2007, 08:52 AM
  3. Pieces Of My Life
    By nothingville in forum (alternate) Artwork discussion and Work-In-Progress
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-11-2006, 06:01 PM
  4. Who is OVER thirty??
    By ComeBackChick in forum Off topic
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-27-2005, 09:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •