Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Former Graceland Tour Guide Speaks.

Loving elvis

Former Graceland Tour Guide Speaks.

Former tour guide gives glimpse inside, Terri Barnes knows a little Elvis Presley trivia.

A native of Memphis, Tenn., Barnes was one of Graceland’s first tour guides when it opened in 1982.

“I had just graduated from college and I needed a job,” she told McComb Lions Tuesday.

But Graceland did more than provide that first job — it was where Barnes met her husband, Dr. Chuck Barnes, who was then a student working as a security guard at the mansion.

The experience was more than just working at a tourist attraction. It was an early glimpse into how Graceland would be a cathedral for Elvis fans.

Since its opening, Elvis’ Memphis mansion has averaged thousands of visitors per year and earned millions of dollars. It is the country’s second most-visited house next to the White House.
    But in the early summer of 1982, Barnes said, no one knew what to expect.

Prior to its public opening, Graceland, which was then under the control of Elvis’ wife Priscilla through Elvis Presley Enterprises, was redecorated in a 1960s style, which Barnes said recalled Elvis’ best years spent at the mansion.

The first tour guides, she said, underwent a two-week training period before the mansion opened and were dressed in white from head to toe, with the exception of a light blue tie.

“We were totally scripted,” she said, adding that the guides’ descriptive monologues about the mansion’s areas were memorized from scripts approved by Priscilla Presley.

She said the guides also were trained in first aid and CPR, but they weren’t prepared for what opening day would bring.

Graceland at that time had no air conditioning, she said, adding that on opening day, a number of visitors collapsed from the heat. Schedule problems forced the guides to work a 10-hour day with no break.

And the guides were learning that there are two kinds of fans, Barnes said, “Elvis fans, and ELVIS fans.”

Barnes remembers an episode when she was working in the “trophy room,” which contained portraits of Elvis and other memorabilia.

“The portraits were irreplaceable,” she said.“And people were not allowed to take flash pictures in the trophy room.”

One tour that entered the trophy room that day consisted of two men carrying a large, emotionally overwrought fan whose face and makeup were streaked with tears.

Suddenly, Barnes said, the woman fell against her, pinning her against a portrait, and the men began taking flash pictures in the room. The woman had to be pulled off Barnes and helped out.

Barnes said emotional scenes were common, because of the effect Elvis had on the lives of others.

“We had people tell us that Elvis had literally changed their lives,” she said. “He had an influence on so many people.”

During her time as a guide, Barnes recalled several instances involving visitors dressed like Elvis or Priscilla, including one smallish man in a homemade Elvis jumpsuit, who when asked where he was from responded “from Heaven.”

There were the two Japanese teenagers who spent every day of their vacation touring Graceland.

And there were the questions.

When the guides took a break, Barnes said, they had a contest to determine the silliest question of the day. She said there were several regulars.

“We would have a tour in the trophy rooms where Elvis’ jumpsuits were displayed on mannequins, and somebody would always ask, ‘Is that the suit Elvis is buried in?’

“We’d have to answer with, ‘Let me check.’ ”

Barnes said there was a photograph in Graceland’s foyer that was taken during Elvis’ Aloha Concert in Hawaii.

“People would ask, ‘Was that picture of Elvis taken after his death?’ ” she said.

A replica of the wedding cake from Elvis’ and Priscilla’s wedding in the trophy room would elicit comments like, “and nobody ate the cake,” or “look how well preserved it is.”

And visitors were always trying to engage the guides into a discussion about their opinion of Priscilla, whom visitors either liked or hated.

Besides the usual tour groups, Barnes said, recording artists either visiting or performing in Memphis would come to Graceland.

“The majority of them were very respectful and complimentary,” she said.

“But about half of them would be rather rude until they saw the gold room.”

The gold room, she said, featured the gold and platinum records awarded to Presley.

“After that,” she said, “they didn’t say anything else.”

Barnes said Presley continues to receive gold and platinum albums after his death.

“Something new would come in and we’d have to take something down and move it to make room,” she said.

And people still send letters, flowers and gifts for Elvis to Graceland.

As for Graceland’s operators, “I don’t think they understood the power they were releasing when they opened that front door,” Barnes said.

2008/03/30 www.elvisunlimited.com / www.epgold.com

Graceland at that time had no air conditioning, she said, adding that on opening day, a number of visitors collapsed from the heat. Schedule problems forced the guides to work a 10-hour day with no break.
    Thanks, for sharing Jen. I think it must have been interesting to be a tour guide at Graceland, but at the same time, not so easy!

franny

[YT]Quote:
    []OK, how can there have been no A/C ,when any book that talks about the funeral says the A/C was going full blast/??

Gail, was there A/C going 8/16/77 ? Or did it just break down in those 2 years after and no one bothered to have it fixed?
    {I know, I'm weird. I notice the "little things."}
    "I have learned never to ridicule any man's opinion, however strange it may seem."

Hey tour guide lady, You can call it a stupid question but I was serious when I asked if that was the Suit Elvis was Buried in and if those pictures were taken before or after he died !

JD

Quote Originally Posted by JDD View Post
    Hey tour guide lady, You can call it a stupid question but I was serious when I asked if that was the Suit Elvis was Buried in and if those pictures were taken before or after he died !

JD
    Did she give you an answer?

franny

i would really like to see how the house was decorated by GLAYDS ,now that would be interesting. than by women who were not blood related.
    ''Baby I dun told you, after the show"

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    []OK, how can there have been no A/C ,when any book that talks about the funeral says the A/C was going full blast/??

Or did it just break down in those 2 years after and no one bothered to have it fixed?
    {I know, I'm weird. I notice the "little things."}
    Nothing weird about any of that Cameron....that phrase literally jumped off the screen at me. I wondered if they meant it was out for a day or two, or what. Shame on anybody that would let that mansion sit there for several years and not repair the AC.

Besides the usual tour groups, Barnes said, recording artists either visiting or performing in Memphis would come to Graceland.

“The majority of them were very respectful and complimentary,” she said.

“But about half of them would be rather rude until they saw the gold room.”

The gold room, she said, featured the gold and platinum records awarded to Presley.

“After that,” she said, “they didn’t say anything else.”
    In my opinion, this is the best part of this interview. How very humbling for anyone, much less his peers, to be silenced by Elvis' acheivements!!!!
    "More people today should see him not simply as a performer, but as an artist with a great soul."

John Bakke, professor emeritus
    University of Memphis

When I went thru the house in '82,it kinda bothered me that the guides were on auto-pilot when it came to the facts about Graceland and Elvis.
    You could tell right away they were scripted.All you had to do was ask a question about something that was NOT on their list of answers.

A very nice read,thanks for posting.. they are right the gold records in the hall,will take your breath away i don't care WHO you are.
    You Remember That Donach Ya?

Later Elton ^j^

Quote Originally Posted by utmom2008 View Post
    Nothing weird about any of that Cameron....that phrase literally jumped off the screen at me. I wondered if they meant it was out for a day or two, or what. Shame on anybody that would let that mansion sit there for several years and not repair the AC.
    I know it had a/c the day I walked in the front door in August, 1977.

Forever Best Friends

I'd like to know the secret of preserving a wedding cake, please!!
    Goodbye Rosanne...Your "family" in TCB will always remember you.

Quote Originally Posted by LianaKaralivanou View Post
    I'd like to know the secret of preserving a wedding cake, please!!

Loving elvis
    Quote Originally Posted by franny View Post
    Thanks, for sharing Jen. I think it must have been interesting to be a tour guide at Graceland, but at the same time, not so easy!

franny
    your welcome franny and l agree l would love a job there

Geeze...sounds like Sgt. Cilla moved right in and started barking out orders to me.... No shock there...but thanks for the post Jen.

Daddy, I miss you more every day. You will always be my hero..

Loving elvis
    Quote Originally Posted by The King's Queen View Post
    Geeze...sounds like Sgt. Cilla moved right in and started barking out orders to me.... No shock there...but thanks for the post Jen.
    now now lea lets make this about priscilla again, l like starting threads but not with priscilla in them well not here anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by presley31 View Post
    now now lea lets make this about priscilla again, l like starting threads but not with priscilla in them well not here anyway.

Well Jen, if I didn't know better, I would think that maybe you think we dislike Prissy....

Loving elvis
    Well Jen, if I didn't know better, I would think that maybe you think we dislike Prissy....
    You think..

Why would anyone think that you can't stand her????
    "More people today should see him not simply as a performer, but as an artist with a great soul."

John Bakke, professor emeritus
    University of Memphis

Quote Originally Posted by presley31 View Post
    You think..
    Quote Originally Posted by ehollier View Post
    Why would anyone think that you can't stand her????
    Beats the heck outta me...

Where's my peeps...? ROSANNE! GAIL! KIMMI! Get here girls, I think they have me surrounded....

Loving elvis
    Beats the heck outta me...

Where's my peeps...? ROSANNE! GAIL! KIMMI! Get here girls, I think they have me surrounded....
    Where the love of your life now(elvis) Oh forgot to tell ya he being cosy with your other friends, darn just when things were looking great

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast