Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hidden Symbolism in "Unchained Melody" 1977 CBS Special "Elvis in Concert"

International Level Suspicious Minds's Avatar
    Here is 2 from Unchained Melody part.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EIC2x.jpg   live77%20(7).jpg  
    Frank

Every man has a flaming star

that `not bad' comment was a nice understatement
    Rick

SleepyJack
    "Unchained Melody" is a powerful,beautiful song and I love it...that all came from somewhere deep inside Elvis and I am glad that the cameras were rolling to capture it....but....that isn`t why I`m responding to this!!........I always thought..at least up until a few minutes ago that Elvis said "Get with it"......anyone else hear it that way??

I can't see why everyone thinks this is such a great performance, he doesn't sound good at all, he is struggling with it ,he is out of breath and doesn't look good.Elvis covered many songs and made them his own , but not this one, the original is way better.How many of you if you had friends round and wanted to impress them with Elvis, would show him singing this song ?Sure it's emotional and sad , but not one of his great moments, far from it.

International Level
    To me the whole June 21st show was awesome! He was on key, hit every note and high note. Unchained Melody like most on here I think in a way Elvis new he wasn't going be here much longer.

I was reading a artical other day taht Elvis had a dream 6 to 8 months before about his death. And most part that's why he started singin' My Way again. I believe it was in Silvia Brown artical.

Love to all,
    Tim

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    Hi there,

Please don't forget, that he was also very unwell......

Jess
    You can't forget that he brought most of his problems onto himself, by self-destructing himself.
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

Cadillac King
    In Response To, The Lyrics "ill Be Coming Home Wait For Me" Potentially Being Significant...... I Think..

Its Easy To Look For Symbolism... E.g Surely My Way Would Be More Significant... "and Now The End Is Near And So I Face The Final Curtain" But At The End Of The Day Elvis Did Not Know He Would Die On August 16 1977!
    1969 july 31st, will we ever see anything?? sob sob!

Quote Originally Posted by Dudcowboy_1 View Post
    To me the whole June 21st show was awesome!
    You must be kidding ...
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Shreveport, Louisiana--Home of the Louisiana Hayride, James Burton and D.J. Fontana!!
    Beautiful description of this performance, Elvis' Babe. It was as if he knew this was the end and it was an absolutely breathtaking and brilliant performance!
    Last edited by Laura Harrell; 07-07-2008 at 06:58 PM.

ELVIS ALWAYS

I have the Omaha & Rapid City Concert on Dvd, and when Elvis says "Charlie,you gotta make up your mind son" hold the scarves, the rings ,help me with the keys? Exactly what does he say to Charlie? I see Elvis is getting tired and frustrated right before sings "unchained Melody".

Unchained Melody like most on here I think in a way Elvis new he wasn't going be here much longer.
    I can practically guarantee you most on here do not believe that! Elvis had no idea what was to come. No one did. But when it came, it was a shock, but it was no surprise.

I was reading a artical other day taht Elvis had a dream 6 to 8 months before about his death. And most part that's why he started singin' My Way again.
    Elvis may well have had a dream like that, but to construe this as the reason he did My Way is pure supposition on the part of whoever suggested it.

Besides, the facts do not bear out this theory.

Elvis did My Way once in 1974, and twice in 1975, after performing it relatively consistently in 1972 and 1973.

It came back into his repertoire in April and May of 1976 (many times done) and was featured four times in Vegas in December and in four of five shows of his New Year tour, culminating in Pittsburgh.

So the song was back in his repertoire long before his death.

Just like many other songs. There is no great significance to it other than what people read into it now that he's gone.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Cool Thanks Circle G

Quote Originally Posted by Circle G View Post
    You know you can download clips from youtube to save on your hard drive, there are loads of sites which provide this facility. If you do this you will never have to search for them again. Try this link : http://javimoya.com/blog/youtube_en.php
    Thanks a lot. I haven't been here for awhile. In the meantime I got Firefox 3.1 and it doesn't work with that, so I'll wait for a little while. This seems like a very good thing. Now, I'm waiting for the update to the appliication. Thanks again.
    <a href=http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff20/thymex/1elvis22.jpg target=_blank>http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/f...x/1elvis22.jpg</a>

Howardrobardhughes this last sentence you wrote "..."Unchained Melody" CBS SPECIAL was the crowning jewel for a dying man...", brought tears to my eyes...
    Goodbye Rosanne...Your "family" in TCB will always remember you.

oh enough of these dramatic reviews of a song elvis sings..because elvis died in 77? 4 me absoulutely no hidden symbolism whatsoever for that song...and all this baloney swollen face sweat out of breath etc blah..........it was just an outstanding performace period...not of dying man..who the heck knew elvis would pass away in 77 nobody..as elvis came close to dying a few times long before 77...elvis was in this shape since oct 74 to 77 overweight accompanied by many other serious problems..he always belted out songs that way.heart and soul thats why elvis was the greatest..no hidden symbolism at all to unchained melody..just a brilliant performance anybody would be outta breath during and after such a demanding song high vocals elvis pulled it off
    Last edited by epmoodyblue; 10-19-2008 at 06:46 PM.
    MY ELVIS WEBSITE
    http://www.tcb-world.com/images/signaturepics/sigpic4801_25.gif[
    ]Elvis i WILL REMEMBER YOU..FOR YOU SING IN MY HEART..AND LIVE IN MY SOUL
    my Selena Website

Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post
    You must be kidding ...

Well compared to many of the other shows from 1977 Rapid City is relatively good.
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

Quote Originally Posted by epmoodyblue View Post
    oh enough of these dramatic reviews of a song elvis sings..because elvis died in 77? 4 me absoulutely no hidden symbolism whatsoever for that song...and all this baloney swollen face sweat out of breath etc blah..........it was just an outstanding performace period...not of dying man..who the heck knew elvis would pass away in 77 nobody..as elvis came close to dying a few times long before 77...elvis was in this shape since oct 74 to 77 overweight accompanied by many other serious problems..he always belted out songs that way.heart and soul thats why elvis was the greatest..no hidden symbolism at all to unchained melody..just a brilliant performance anybody would be outta breath during and after such a demanding song high vocals elvis pulled it off
    Couldn't agree more, theres no symbolism hidden or whatever the heck that is, its just a heart felt performance of a man who is and had been very ill for some time, giving it his all in a song he liked very much !

wait for me

Quote Originally Posted by Col Jon Burrows View Post
    giving it his all in a song he liked very much !
    Yeah we know, but is it permitted to like anything from the shows filmed for the CBS special?

This version of "Unchained Melody" did just fine. It wasn't the most polished version ever, but his vocals were clear and strong.

They should include such a song on CD or DVD as it shows just how Elvis liked to work. He had that talent to give instruction to the band while singing and playing the piano.

It isn't necessary to only show Elvis as a singer with perfect master takes. This work in progress is something to see and hear as fans can have a more intimate look at the artist's work.
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/999022_359272057534723_1223625887_n.jpg

all the goons I left behind, memories still linger..

TCB Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by elvisville View Post
    I can't see why everyone thinks this is such a great performance, he doesn't sound good at all, he is struggling with it ,he is out of breath and doesn't look good.Elvis covered many songs and made them his own , but not this one, the original is way better.How many of you if you had friends round and wanted to impress them with Elvis, would show him singing this song ?Sure it's emotional and sad , but not one of his great moments, far from it.
    Bingo. I cringe when I see this performance, especially the ending when he loses control of the vocal. Like most shows that year, he is out of breath, very thin voice with no tonal quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post
    I can practically guarantee you most on here do not believe that! Elvis had no idea what was to come. No one did. But when it came, it was a shock, but it was no surprise.

Elvis may well have had a dream like that, but to construe this as the reason he did My Way is pure supposition on the part of whoever suggested it.

Besides, the facts do not bear out this theory.

Elvis did My Way once in 1974, and twice in 1975, after performing it relatively consistently in 1972 and 1973.

It came back into his repertoire in April and May of 1976 (many times done) and was featured four times in Vegas in December and in four of five shows of his New Year tour, culminating in Pittsburgh.

So the song was back in his repertoire long before his death.

Just like many other songs. There is no great significance to it other than what people read into it now that he's gone.

Agreed. We've been through this before time and time again. Elvis did not know what was going to happen to him on August 16, 1977 and "My Way" was not a swan song in any shape or form.

Quote Originally Posted by rocknroll View Post
    Bingo. I cringe when I see this performance, especially the ending when he loses control of the vocal. Like most shows that year, he is out of breath, very thin voice with no tonal quality.

I share the same sentiments. This is not one of his best performances.

By 1977, Elvis was just a shell of the performer that he had been only four years earlier.

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Col Jon Burrows View Post
    Well compared to many of the other shows from 1977 Rapid City is relatively good.
    Hi Brad, Elvis was in bad shape throughout June 1977, there are some highlights, however even these highlights are blown out of all proportion by ardent fans who have Elvis' best interests at heart.

We can say that Elvis was ill, we can say he was over-prescribed and they are valid reasons for not being 100% on you game, what we shouldn't do is ignore the fact that this wasn't Elvis at his best!

There seems to be myth that Elvis' voice never failed him, I'm sorry but there are times where it may not of completely failed him but it wasn't at it's optimum.

Don't get me wrong, I would give anything to have seen Elvis, even the worst concert he ever gave, and there lies the problem, a lot of people just wanted to go see the King even if he was extremely ill.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast