Thread: Hidden Symbolism in Aloha

Hidden Symbolism in Aloha

I've always thought there was alot of symbolism in ALOHA..
    whether it was intentional or not..

The Belt at the end of Trilogy...
    the cape at the end of Can't Help Falling in Love....
    it seemed that Elvis was saying to the crowd,and the worldwide audience..
    here I am...
    I've given everything to you...performance wise...
    here's my belt..
    the fans deserve it..
    Here's my cape...I don't need it...

punching the air with his fists..
    he seems to say...
    "I did it"..
    then ...after giving Belt and cape to the audience....
    he is handed the crown...
    he appears humbled by it..but was so fitting..
    Many people are critical of the Aloha show..saying he was too stiff...etc..
    I think it was a " PERFECT PERFORMANCE"....

and even when I saw Elvis in 1977...he still had a magnetism that was unreal..
    When he hit the stage...it was almost supernatural..

Everytime I listen to an Elvis concert on CD..
    and I hear 2001 and opening riff..
    I get chills...
    remembering like it was yesterday when I saw him hit the stage..

TCB..
    Wade ( HRH )

interesting post.. i dont know what it means though
    Last edited by buttonhead; 09-15-2004 at 05:17 PM.

TCB Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by buttonhead
    interesting post.. i dont know what it means though
    lol
    me either

Regarding the Aloha 'cape throw', one wonders if that was purely an instinctive, caught up in the moment gesture, or an idea that had occured earlier on, either way, it was a move that was timed to perfection.

The alternate camera angle of Elvis' expression during the 'victory air punch' tells it's own story.

'What, honey ? ..... one scarf for the balcony ?! ........... OK ........... gimme a baseball ! ............ there's no way unless you put a rock in it'.

(Las Vegas - 7th December 1975)

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    Those are some great moments in Aloha you mentioned there, obviously.

I know what you mean about his giving the belt and cape to the audience. It was like he was saying, I have you to thank for these things, so here--you deserve them. It was also reflective of his generous spirit overall.

Great stuff.
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

Heartbreak Hotel, Room 11 Albert's Avatar
    Jeanno has on his fantastic website (www.tcb-world.com/elvisatstax/) this great picture that captures the moment that you're talking about:

I don't think that Elvis took the Aloha for granted. I really believe that he struggled with the 'what next?' questions. He was about to turn 40 soon, was officially divorced short period before the show and physical problems were already showing.....

Perhaps he was aware of these questions when he ended the Aloha show...

I thought Aloha was unbelievable. A lot of people make the mistake of using TTWII as a measuring stick which isn't fair, different time and circumstances led to a more subdued performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Car
    I thought Aloha was unbelievable. A lot of people make the mistake of using TTWII as a measuring stick which isn't fair, different time and circumstances led to a more subdued performance.
    i agree with you JC, TTWII had its own glorious moment and so was Aloha From Hawaii , the idea to put the show in hawaii and broadcast it via satellite so all the world could see..in 1973 was unbelievable, i think that elvis gave his belt to the audience was spontaneous, as he always did , when he gave away scarf and kisses to the ladies or when he gave some lucky people a new car ,what he did give all to his audience is the show,..the songs he sang and the pleasure which each of his fans get.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert
    Thank you, Albert!!! :worthy: :worthy:
    I couldn't see Aloha de luxe and I was wondering for some time, reading in different places, what are people talking about. WOW ! It's amazing!

Heartbreak Hotel, Room 11 Albert's Avatar
    That picture is made by Jeanno (and yes, it's fantastic )
    ‎"A year from now, you'll wish you had started today"

Follow TCB-World on Twitter for website updates and Elvisnews: http://twitter.com/tcbworldcom

Quote Originally Posted by clowdy
    Thank you, Albert!!! :worthy: :worthy:
    I couldn't see Aloha de luxe and I was wondering for some time, reading in different places, what are people talking about. WOW ! It's amazing!

they dont have that in romania i am sorry to hear that. you can try to buy online ,...

There is no "hidden" symbolism in "Aloha", other than that what is self-ascribed by those that want to read something more into it.

EP was into the habit of dispensing his huge trademark belts to audience members well before 1973. As an interesting sidenote, during the Alternate Aloha performance .......... a small boy can be seen asking EP for his belt. EP gives the leis off his neck instead and then shakes his head as if to say ....... "nope, sorry, .... can't do that ...". Remember, EP had already given a belt to Jack Lord and another had to be rushed delivered.

The habit of tossing clothing items into the audience originated back in the 1950's, at Bill Black's instigation .............. advising a young Elvis to toss his belt (and other items) to girls to get the crowd excited & more worked up.

The cape toss, according to Hodge, was pre-planned. A momentous gesture for a momentous event, nothing more. It was not the only time that EP gifted a cape to an audience member.

As for the Gold King Crown handed to EP at the end of the concert ---> it's very telling that EP never focused on it or acknowledged on-stage in any other way than simply ........ accepting it. According to Sean Shaver, EP disliked the title "King" and usually never accepted nor kept gifts from fans that were labelled as such. Despite EP's desire to have a larger-than-life image on-stage, ....... he was quite the opposite in real life ---> very self-conscious, humble, and even insecure. The humility was ingrained into EP from childhood, from his mother.

- Capt. "EL."

My impression has always been that the cape toss had been planned. As Elvis is taking the thing off, and perhaps struggling just a bit to do so, you can see by the way Charlie is leaning over that he is watching with concern, hoping he can manage to get it off. That's my take on it anyway.

Regarding the .gif animation above, I personally liked the other angle better which was seen on the old videos. Actually, I like that look back to Elvis' left, toward J.D. and the other vocalists, but then the look he gives when he pumps his fists--his mouth is open, appearing as though he's yelling "yeah!" or something--that's the one that really captures the victory of the moment. It's too bad that old view wasn't closer up though. Or a head-on look at that would have been fantastic.

Cadillac King
    Elvis looked great in the "Aloha-show". :worthy: He was just the guy there that every woman could only dream off. Lol. And weither the belt and cape where planned or a well ment gesture of Elvis self, we will never know I guess. I myself think it ain't important. The importance was that he showed every one he was back (and how!) and that he left a big impression behind after the show.

Be safe and take care,

Christel (TCE)

Quote Originally Posted by TCE
    And weither the belt and cape where planned or a well ment gesture of Elvis self, we will never know I guess. I myself think it ain't important. The importance was that he showed every one he was back (and how!) and that he left a big impression behind after the show.

Be safe and take care,

Christel (TCE)
    its the part of him entertained the audience i guess, whether it was planned or not,..i luv it though ..

Oh, I agree, and my thinking that does not detract from my enjoyment of the moment in the least. I'm not trying to say it was a blatantly staged thing; if not for watching it repeatedly on playback, it wouldn't have occurred to me. I seriously doubt that when that happened and when it aired, a single soul (out of 1.5 billion) was looking at Charlie Hodge (if my interpretation of his body language has any merit)!

Here is an interesting comparison of the alternate angles of that 'victory air punch' (sorry I don't know who originally put these screen captures together). The 'old' version of Aloha is the source used.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ALOHA_VS_THIS_IS_ELVIS.JPG  

'What, honey ? ..... one scarf for the balcony ?! ........... OK ........... gimme a baseball ! ............ there's no way unless you put a rock in it'.

(Las Vegas - 7th December 1975)

you guys are great...

I love it ...alternate air punch screen captures..
    ELVIS TCB FORUMS is HARDCORE Elvis nuts!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by howardrobardhughes
    I love it ...alternate air punch screen captures..
    ELVIS TCB FORUMS is HARDCORE Elvis nuts!!!!!!!
    hardcore elvis fans...
    (h)