Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fan or Sucker?

Fan or Sucker?

http://www.tcb-world.com/showthread.php?t=3981

Gennaro Castaldo, of music retailer HMV, adds: "He's very, very collectible, anything that's released by him, people want to own, want to collect.

"And he's got a very dedicated, very loyal fan base that will buy anything released by his estate."

I just logged off my on-line shop. I purchased an Elvis cd collection I don't own. I'll admit, in the last few years, I have purchased a LOT of Elvis music and books, mostly because I actually have the extra money to do what I want. Then I read this. I know I don't 'buy anything" and this statement kind of upset me. In the last year I do feel that there were a lot of cd's and books that were put out there to just make money.
    So, do you think that as a fan, you'll buy anything or are you selective?
    [Keep in mind, that really, you, as a person, can do most anything you want without having to explain or justify yourself.]

Just pretend, I'm holding you, and whispering things soft and low.
    And think of me, how it's gonna be and just pretend I didn't go

well i am very picky about my cd's and even if its an outtake of a song i have heard or the same songs just from a different show i won't buy the cd but on the other had i have bought a whole cd just for 1 song that i don't have also i don't have that many books i'll read only the ones that appeal to me or have been recomended to me by others i will not buy anything just cos its elvis and hate when people release stuff just to make money as they think we will take anything well i for one wont settle for just anything

I buy lots of Elvis CD's. Not because i have to, because i want to. So i can hear all the different songs that he sang. I try not to buy a CD with the same songs i have on my other ones. I want to get to know the man, and him being dead is hard, so his music speaks to me.

I'm very picky about everything I buy Elvis memorabilia, music included. I won't just buy anything. I think that fuels putting out the tacky stuff.

Diane

Quote Originally Posted by Burning_Love View Post
    I buy lots of Elvis CD's. Not because i have to, because i want to. So i can hear all the different songs that he sang. I try not to buy a CD with the same songs i have on my other ones. I want to get to know the man, and him being dead is hard, so his music speaks to me.
    Well said, I prefer to get cd's where he interacts with his musicians [alt. takes]. That lets me know his angle on interpretation. Lets me get to know him, too. I try not to buy cd's that repeat the same songs, but sometimes it's unavoidable. I also have bought a cd because it had that one song I hadn't heard before.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisarose View Post
    Well said, I prefer to get cd's where he interacts with his musicians [alt. takes]. That lets me know his angle on interpretation. Lets me get to know him, too. I try not to buy cd's that repeat the same songs, but sometimes it's unavoidable. I also have bought a cd because it had that one song I hadn't heard before.
    Oh yes, i'm exactly the same ..alt.takes are my favourite.
    And i have about 10 songs of which i have repeated about 5 times.

I can honestly say that, I almost have everything that was put out on CD but I got so tired of them repackaging the same songs with a different CD cover. The same went for the DVD's. How many times are we going to see, Aloha and 68 comeback with a different cover. I thought the last two deluxe sets had everything.
    I am now selective cause a CD might have only one song of an different take.
    This man recorded over 600 songs in his 20 years of fame, there must be more songs he had recorded where at the time The Colonel wouldn't budge with him getting over, 60% of the publishing rights.

yup i try to hear at least every elvis song once and try to find as many different ones i don't have on cd like to hear all the different styles and personalites of elvis and music is the best way but books wel some people will write any old crap but love buying pics and other collectables within reason don't like those doll things they brought out

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    I'm very picky about everything I buy Elvis memorabilia, music included. I won't just buy anything. I think that fuels putting out the tacky stuff.

Diane
    I TOTALLY AGREE! LAST SUMMER I SAW A ELVIS TOILET SEAT COVER I WAS SO UPSET! WHAT SOMEBODY WILL DO TO MAKE THE CASH!!!!
    TCB W/TLC (((HUGS))...

Yep, I'm pretty picky myself. I already have a lot of the music.
    The odds and ends I don't buy except for the grandchildren when I go to Memphis.

Of course, the kids buy me things off and on.
    "I have learned never to ridicule any man's opinion, however strange it may seem."

I agree, Cameron. I've bought t-shirts and bumperstickers for my kids. My family & friends know I'm a big Elvis fan so I get the 'junkie' stuff from them. At Christmas I get whatever picture book is on sale at Barnes & Noble. Those aren't bad, but there isn't really anything new in them. My youngest son when he was much smaller bought me an Elvis rubber duckie. I never would have purchased that for myself. Now they know, I love Elvis, but not ANYthing Elvis.

i am running out of elvis things to buy cos am quite picky but as you sy family will buy you anything elvis at christmas but there are alot of good elvis stuff out there i shop on ebay for the best cd's and dvd's

I am selective about what I buy. If I receive Elvis things as gifts then I'll choose the items. I know what CDs I want, I know why I want them whether it's for a song or a version of a song I haven't heard, or for a concert that's had good reviews. For instance I bought "Elvis At The International" because:

i) It was from the season when Elvis returned to live shows.

ii) It had good reviews about Elvis' performance and about the individual songs.

iii) This has an awesome 8mins + version of Suspicious Minds.

iv) It was also the first concert performed on my birthday after I was born (a bit of posteriry).

I also use similar rationale when buying books etc. But at the end of the day if I want it I'll get it. After all I'm buying.
    That aint tactics honey....that's just the beast in me.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/GeordieBroon/elvisheader.jpg

Elvis PRESLEY:The most important, most influential artist of the 20th century. b. 8 Jan 1935, Mississippi, US, d. 16 Aug 1977. He holds, or has held, almost every chart-related record including perhaps the most important: more No.1s than any act in chart history.

I am not one to just run out and buy it because it bears mention of Elvis or carries his name. I do have a lot of stuff, and most of it has been bought for me by family and friends. But to say that we, the fans, would just gobble up whatever was thrown out is a bit much. Maybe some will...but most of us won't.

Daddy, I miss you more every day. You will always be my hero..

Over the span of 30+years i've bought alot of Elvis c.d.s., d.v.d.s, books ect, Where i'm from the Elvis stuff is very limited. Yes, if i were well off i would buy a ton of stuff. The last expensive (to me) thing i bought was a d.v.d. of Elvis in Concert (35$), and an Elvis zippo off Amazon.com. If i lived near Graceland i'd be broke. And no, i wouldn't buy the Elvis toilet seat cover (too tacky).

I am very picky on what I buy of Elvis'. They come out with the Elvis ornaments that look nothing like him, any large company will come out with Elvis on it and say it's a collectors item so people will rush to buy it. I'm very selective on what I buy.

I did go to a flea market and bought the Moody Blue album for $5.00 - i had lost mine in a divorce years ago and unbelievably - this album has no scratches!!!
    "We're lost in a cloud, with too much rain ~ We're trapped in a world, That's troubled with pain.....But as long as a man has the strength to dream.... He can redeem his soul and fly"

Quote Originally Posted by elvisfan4life View Post
    I did go to a flea market and bought the Moody Blue album for $5.00 - i had lost mine in a divorce years ago and unbelievably - this album has no scratches!!!
    Oh my!!! I have heard of losing kids or pets...but you lost MOODY BLUE???? You should have hired a better lawyer!

Quote Originally Posted by utmom2008 View Post
    Oh my!!! I have heard of losing kids or pets...but you lost MOODY BLUE???? You should have hired a better lawyer!
    I hope you at least got Madison Square Garden outta the deal!!!

Forever Best Friends

Quote Originally Posted by utmom2008 View Post
    LMAO!!!!
    "We're lost in a cloud, with too much rain ~ We're trapped in a world, That's troubled with pain.....But as long as a man has the strength to dream.... He can redeem his soul and fly"

Quote Originally Posted by TotallyInsane View Post
    I hope you at least got Madison Square Garden outta the deal!!!
    You know I did!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast