Thread: Black Pinwheel 1971

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar

Black Pinwheel 1971

looking at this picture makes you realise the size of the audience that Elvis was playing to. This image makes chills go down my spine, can you imagine the expectation of an audience this size and how that would have effected Elvis!

We can only see one side of the audience, being able to see the other sides would be mind blowing. The Picture looks like it could be from Boston Garden November 10th 1971 seeing as the crowd was 15,509..... Wow
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Black Pinwheel.gif  

Wow!! That is one large crowd!
    Thanks, for posting this great pic Matt!

franny

I get the same reaction from this kind of picture too Matt. Thanks for posting.

Diane

Southeastern Portion of These Here United States
    A beautiful photo Matt, and yes - I can imagine the feeling facing an audience of that size.

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    What a huge audience. Nice photo Matt.
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

Imagine for a minute Pontiac 1975 in front of approx. 60,000 fans staring at him This is almost the population of some small cities!!!
    Cool 70's

It is definitelt the legendary Boston Garden. I recognized the upper deck design from watching many Larry Bird and Boston Celtics games over the years.
    http://i.usatoday.net/life/_photos/2...-overhaulx.jpg "Without a shadow of a doubt, Bob Sillerman is the BEST thing to happen to the Elvis World in a very long time. Even EPE have stated this. During the next ten years we should see a massive boost for the Elvis Legacy."-courtesy, Brian Quinn

Check out my blog on the new upcoming Graceland expansion and redevelopment.
    http://gracelandfuture.blogspot.com/

Thanks Matt, a stunning photo, makes me get chills to. The little bitty hairs stand straight up on the back of my neck

I dream a world where man no other man
    will scorn. Where LOVE will bless the earth
    and peace its paths adorn...

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar
    Dude, I've got stage fright just looking at that photo!!!

Thanks for posting it....being able to see the audience that clearly is quite unusual for an Elvis concert photo, so it is VERY unique and very cool!!!

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

Sometimes it's hard to Imagine how big Elvis was back in the 70's... looking back some 30 plus years can diminish how Elvis was viewed.

Looking at the shot of Elvis In Boston Garden is a completely different view to that of Elvis In Vegas (see below from TTWII) there is a much smaller audience, I'm sure the butterflies would have been just the same for Elvis no matter what the size. The Vegas stand IMO would have been more of a personal experience with the stage being lower down and the fans being able to get close to Elvis on stage.

The Boston Garden picture brings it home on other levels for instance when you have an audience this size Elvis would have to really project vocally and visually to get across to those at the back. It would certainly explain why Elvis took the route of wearing stage attire that would help with the visual aspect that probably wouldn't have been required to the same level in Vegas.

We have to remember that large TV screens were not available back in the 70's so if you were at the back the most you could hope for (with your binoculars) was to hear Elvis' great voice!

All this commentary from one photo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Concha.jpg  

Great pic Make me stand in awe, yet again, at Elvis' ability to bare his soul thru his music...just seeing that many people before me would totally cause me to draw a big ol' BLANK!

Daddy, I miss you more every day. You will always be my hero..

What a rush that must have been!

Quote Originally Posted by beckyelvis1 View Post
    What a rush that must have been!
    Can you imagine walking on the stage and looking around at all those faces! I'm sure that Elvis wouldn't have thought about it for too long otherwise he would have probably got stage struck

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpsuit Junkie View Post
    Can you imagine walking on the stage and looking around at all those faces! I'm sure that Elvis wouldn't have thought about it for too long otherwise he would have probably got stage struck
    I can only imagine what kind of experience it must have been, but I'll bet the kind that makes you feel very alive!

Sometimes it's hard to Imagine how big Elvis was back in the 70's... looking back some 30 plus years can diminish how Elvis was viewed.

Looking at the shot of Elvis In Boston Garden is a completely different view to that of Elvis In Vegas (see below from TTWII) there is a much smaller audience, I'm sure the butterflies would have been just the same for Elvis no matter what the size. The Vegas stand IMO would have been more of a personal experience with the stage being lower down and the fans being able to get close to Elvis on stage.

The Boston Garden picture brings it home on other levels for instance when you have an audience this size Elvis would have to really project vocally and visually to get across to those at the back. It would certainly explain why Elvis took the route of wearing stage attire that would help with the visual aspect that probably wouldn't have been required to the same level in Vegas.

We have to remember that large TV screens were not available back in the 70's so if you were at the back the most you could hope for (with your binoculars) was to hear Elvis' great voice!
    This is so true-when I saw him from the cheap seats in St. Louis in 1976 binoculars were a must. The early 70s were a far cry from the "massive production concert tours of today."

the minute i looked out and saw that crowd i woud have ran straight home just goes to show what a true performer he really was plus it showes how many fans he had must have made him feel great

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar

Ahhh yes, but a GREAT commentary my friend!!!

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

yep jumpsuit junkie sums it up in that post alot of stars today don't need to project there voice as t.v screens and sound do that also they don't need to be live but in the days of elvis if you messed up it was infront of everyone and thats what made elvis special to the fans is that he could change song lyrics and encorperate humour into the songs and it was not pre recorded miming so what you saw is what you got that alone must have been added preasure performing live infront of all those people

International Level
    Wow I love very much the stage pictures,especially when it shows the whole crowd...Fantastic pic,JJ,thank you so much for sharing