Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: If Elvis Were Alive Today....

SleepyJack
    I know it is not the real thing but there is a version of Garth Brooks` "The Dance" on youtube sung by Elvis impersonator Doug Church.....It`s kind of interesting without being great...maybe those of you that listed the song might like to give a look.
    AS for me....A while back I heard a song by Chris De Burgh called "Lonely Sky" and the first thought in my head was "God, Elvis would have done wonders with that"......Also wouldn`t mind hearing him do the U2 song "All I want is you"...anyone think that Bono was trying to give an Elvis-feel to the vocal on that?

International Level SeeSeeRider777's Avatar
    The one song he should have recorded was Let Me Try Again. People listen to that song and you will understand.
    "When I was a child, ladies and gentlemen, I was a dreamer. I read comic books, and I was a hero in the movie. So every dream that I ever dreamed has come true a hundred times. I learned very early in life that without a song, the day would never end; without a song, a man ain't got a friend; without a song, the road would never bend; without a song. So I keep singing a song." - Elvis Presley

This one just popped into my head, I guess because I think it's such a sexy song. How about Elvis singing Wicked Game?

If Elvis was alive today he would probably be doing cabaret in Las Vegas, and not recording anymore, which would of been a shame, or he would of gone into gospel music which is his first love, but lets be honest he would be 73 years old, its not likely he would be jumping all over the stage.

A few more I would have liked for him to have recorded:

He Stopped Loving Her Today

Mr. Blue

Crazy- I think he would have put his nice own touch on this song.

New York State of Mind
    "When I was a child, ladies and gentlemen, I was a dreamer. I read comic books, and I was a hero in the movie. So every dream that I ever dreamed has come true a hundred times. I learned very early in life that without a song, the day would never end; without a song, a man ain't got a friend; without a song, the road would never bend; without a song. So I keep singing a song." - Elvis Presley

International Level rhythmknights's Avatar
    i wonder if Elvis would have sung a song like Thunder Rolls? - he could really put some power behind that!
    Sunday Morning, She's got Legs, Sex Bomb and yes, i'd love to hear THe Dance or
    The Chair anything romantic!!!
    Last edited by rhythmknights; 03-15-2008 at 09:40 PM. Reason: addition
    All I wanted was a white knight with a good heart, soft touch, fast horse
    Ride me off into the sunset Baby, I'm forever yours

Quote Originally Posted by gordon View Post
    If Elvis was alive today lets be honest he would be 73 years old, its not likely he would be jumping all over the stage.
    Perhaps he could have ended up on Dancing With The Stars like Wayne Newton did. He and Cilla could be on at the same time.....

Cadillac King
    Every time I hear these 3 songs ,which I love, I can just imagine Elvis singing them !

"Detroit City"- by Tom Jones.

"It's Just A Matter Of Time" - by Brook Benton ( not to be confused with " It's a matter of time" that Elvis sang).

"Give Me One Reason" - by Tracy Chapman.

And just for fun.....Elvis and Ann-Margret singing " Baby it's cold outside"...Can you imagine the chemistry going on there !!!!

A few more I would like to have heard.

- The Long and Winding Road

- Watching the Wheels

Foreigner: I Wanna Know What Love Is. Would have been a bit corny, but after all, its a brilliant song, and I believe he would have adapted it to his own style. Despite the 80's...

Angels, Crying, I Heard it through the Grapevine, Hallelujah, Watching the Wheels, ther are so many songs

SleepyJack
    Just to give a slightly different slant on this...if nobody minds...If Elvis were alive and decided to do a full album of songs by one artist or group what do you think would have worked well?
    There are several Bob Dylan tracks I`d love to hear him try...so I`ll make that my choice!

I wonder if he would have done any more rock 'n roll songs? He did them very well, but even in his early years he admitted to loving ballads and gospel songs best. I wonder if he would like the new gospel songs of today like Awesome God and Earthen Vessels?

And I would love to hear him and Ann-Margret sing Baby It's Cold Outside! That would be awesome!
    Last edited by Lisarose; 05-01-2008 at 07:41 PM. Reason: spelling

Just pretend, I'm holding you, and whispering things soft and low.
    And think of me, how it's gonna be and just pretend I didn't go

well i think the song by garth brooks wich i just heard called to make you feel my love would have been good and alot of jimmy ellis tracks like rocky,where can my baby be,teen angel.i use her to remind me of you and a song called mary jane doe very simple sad song i think elvis could pull them off

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    Looking For Love from the movie "Urban Cowboy" would have been a great hit had Elvis gotten the chance to record it.

Also would put Drift Away on the list aswell !
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

Quote Originally Posted by BradM View Post

Also would put Drift Away on the list as well !

Being that this song was released while Elvis was still alive, I'm surprised that he didn't perform it (or at least a snipped of it)! Maybe (God forbid!) James couldn't quite nail the guitar intro?? *hee hee*

I hate playing the "what if?" game....it does make me sad.....

I just happened on the perfect, the ideal "message" song for Elvis had he lived in the new millennuium --

Alan Jackson's passionate "Where Were You," his beautiful song about September 11.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9PwWkV4HQ4
    Last edited by ehollier; 06-05-2008 at 12:29 PM.
    "More people today should see him not simply as a performer, but as an artist with a great soul."

John Bakke, professor emeritus
    University of Memphis

Quote Originally Posted by Lisarose View Post
    With or Without You would be one of my choices, but my absolute one is
    Dolly Parton's I Will Always Love You Elvis is always singing this to me
    in my dreams
    I saw a Dolly Parton interview a while ago and she said that Elvis actually wanted to sing I Will Always Love You- but the Colonel insisted that if Elvis was doing the song Dolly should sell her rights on that song to Elvis. Obviously, Dolly didn't want to (who can blame her). So, Elvis never got a chance to perform or record this song- which is such a shame. It would have been fantastic and maybe safed us from that awful Whitney Housten version!

Roustabouts
    I often wondered if he & Jerry Lee would have toured together in their elder years. I definitley see him doing some Christmas albums and tv specials. "With or Without You" would be a great one to hear him sing. I am from Detroit and wouldn't mind hearing him do some more Motown.

Quote Originally Posted by utmom2008 View Post
    Perhaps he could have ended up on Dancing With The Stars like Wayne Newton did. He and Cilla could be on at the same time.....
    I don't think that Priscilla would be as much in the spotlights,if Elvis were still around! Dontcha think?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast