Thread: On Saturday, I'll be a part of history!

On Saturday, I'll be a part of history!

For those of yall livin here in the states probably already know about the biggest sporting event of the year is happening right here in Memphis and my school, the University of Memphis.

Our Tigers are 26-0, and ranked #1 in the nation and our biggest state rival is Tennessee and they're #2.

It's only the 5th time in college basketball history that a 1 vs 2 has happened in the regular season.

The history part is not just that both schools are ranked this high for the 1st time ever. It's the fact that the game is settin new ticket sales records in sports.

The Superbowl was cheaper to get into than this game is.

Tickets are bein sold on EBAY and Hubstub at record numbers of 12 THOUSAND DOLLARS A PIECE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get this. Movie stars, rap stars, sports stars, and billionaires can't even get tickets for the game. It is THAT BIG!!

I, yours truly, am gonna be there, because I am a student and already got my tickets last summer.

I'll be decked in blue, just like everyone else in the building.

So I will be a part of sports history on Saturday night.

GK will be there as well. He goes to all the Tigers games and sits down by the team's bench. He's a big supporter of the program as well.

He says Elvis loved the Tigers and went to a game once.

We got the stats on our side as well. We've won 49 straight at home over the past 3 years and have the longest winning streak in the nation.

We are THE BEST in the country at what we do.....and that's win and win big!

Oh, btw, for yall who can't be there to witness history, it'll be live on ESPN at 8pm CT/9pm ET. and 6pm PT.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOO TIGERS!!

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    Of course it was Memphis State back in Elvis' day...just thought I'd mention that.

I wonder if GK is right about Elvis having attended a game. That would be cool because basketball is my favorite sport and I have never heard 'Elvis' and 'basketball' mentioned in the same breath till now. I have certainly never seen any pics of him engaged in the sport or heard that he was interested in it in the least, either as a spectator or participant.

Yeah, those Tigers...that is a special team indeed. The Vols obviously aren't too shabby either. Should be a heckuva game -- have a good time!
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

Wink

Hope you have a great time and the result goes you way, keke.

Last year, when we made our run to the Final 8, GK was on one of the local news stations here talkin about the memories of the glory days of the early 70's and 80's, and he said that Elvis once met Wilt Chamberlain and told him that he was the tallest guy he ever seen in his life.

He said Elvis wasn't into basketball as he was football, but he rooted for the local home team and was proud of them.

It wasn't until 1973 when MSU went to the national title game against UCLA that Elvis got into the Tigers.

GK is friends with Calipari and knows the players personally. They all respect him as well.

Yeah Lonnie, I knew they were once called the Memphis State Tigers. They were called the West Tennessee Tigers before that.

I am sooooooo proud of my boys!

We're now 92-8 in the past 2 and a half seasons. That's unheard of in this day and time!

Quote Originally Posted by Lonniebealestreet View Post
    Of course it was Memphis State back in Elvis' day...just thought I'd mention that.

I wonder if GK is right about Elvis having attended a game. That would be cool because basketball is my favorite sport and I have never heard 'Elvis' and 'basketball' mentioned in the same breath till now.

It does seem a bit odd, doesn't it? We all know Elvis did like football, though. Reckon ol' GK is getting 'em mixed up again?

Either way...have a blast, Lakeisha!!

There's a pic of Elvis from the 50's at the airport welcoming home the Tigers after a tournament victory.

It's in one of the offices at the Administratiion building,

Quote Originally Posted by keke23 View Post
    There's a pic of Elvis from the 50's at the airport welcoming home the Tigers after a tournament victory.

It's in one of the offices at the Administratiion building,
    Okay, KeKe, your mission, if you choose to accept is to go to the
    Admin bldg, camera in hand and take a photo of Elvis Photo and
    post it on this site! TCB-fans & esp. me want to see!!!!
    Oh, & KeKe? Go TIGERS!!! I'm rooting for ya'll.

Just pretend, I'm holding you, and whispering things soft and low.
    And think of me, how it's gonna be and just pretend I didn't go

Quote Originally Posted by Lisarose View Post
    Okay, KeKe, your mission, if you choose to accept is to go to the
    Admin bldg, camera in hand and take a photo of Elvis Photo and
    post it on this site! TCB-fans & esp. me want to see!!!!
    Oh, & KeKe? Go TIGERS!!! I'm rooting for ya'll.
    It's not that easy.

For one thing, I don't own a digital camera to post any pics like that.

Second, the pic of him is in one of the admins offices, not where the public can just walk in.

I saw it when I was in there about 3 years about when I was registering for classes.

I've mentioned before about this as well over at the E1 forum.

For the record, our Athletic Director, RC Johnson is close to Priscilla. That's one reason she's been supportin the program recently and now gonna be doin the Graclenad lightin in blue.

RC is a well known Elvis fan and talks about him all the time on his radio show here in Memphis.