View Poll Results: Elvis should have kept the new set list from Aug 74?

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

88 72.13%
  • No

5 4.10%
  • Unsure

20 16.39%
  • I need some coffee!

9 7.38%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should Elvis have kept the new setlist in August 74?

Should Elvis have kept the new setlist in August 74?

I've been listening to some of elvis' songs from aug 74 and I think they were awesome! I think he was wanting to change things up alittle then(perhaps a mini comeback?) and add some new songs, and thought that maybe it would have a positive reaction from the fans. But the reaction wasn't as good as with his older songs, and he ended up going back to pretty much the same set list as before. I think he should have kept the new set list, and do the songs that he wanted to do! What do you all think about this?
    "Taking Care Of Business In A Flash!"

Thoughout his life Elvis had the ability to re invent his image and to take his career in different directions relying in part on instinct and it seems a shame when his career could have done with a change of direction to accomadate the changing times and his age that Elvis seemed to lack the confidence to carry out this change . The April tour from 75 shows he again wanted to change to a show more like the mid Aug 74 setlist but again he dropped it . Where Elvis could never deny the past he at the end of his career seemed to rely on the 50s stuff even though he was not the least bit interested in performing them .

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar
    Great question, but a difficult one to answer!!

Do I think Elvis should have kept the new concert lineup...yes!! I think a complete overhaul of his concert lineup would have provided Elvis with a new challenge and it is well documented that when presented with a challenge, Elvis took it on full force!!

HOWEVER...Elvis was always listening to his fans and giving them what THEY wanted!! He always felt that if he didn't give the fans what they wanted, they wouldn't come to see him anymore...so, Elvis put aside whatever feelings he may have had about the new song list to give the fans what they wanted...to keep them happy!!

So yes, I think he should have changed his concert lineups from time to time to keep things fresh, but in the end, Elvis did what he thought the fans wanted...which probably helped lead to his increasing apathy about live performances in the later 70's!

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

So what is on the 74 setlist, please? Then I can vote, thank you.
    Please excuse my ignorance!

Just pretend, I'm holding you, and whispering things soft and low.
    And think of me, how it's gonna be and just pretend I didn't go

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar
    Here is the setlist for Elvis' opening night show in Las Vegas on August 19th, 1974:

Big Boss Man
    Proud Mary
    Down in the Alley
    Good Time Charlie's Got the Blues
    Never Been to Spain
    It's Midnight
    If You Talk In Your Sleep
    I'm Leavin'
    Let Me Be There
    Softly As I Leave You
    If You Love Me (Let Me Know)
    Love Me Tender
    Polk Salad Annie
    Band introductions
    Promised Land
    My Baby Left Me
    Bridge Over Troubled Water
    Fever
    Hound Dog
    Can't Help Falling In Love

This is an EXCELLENT concert and if you can find a copy of the show on import CD, it's DEFINITELY worth the money!!

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

Great stuff!
    We want to hear new songs from Elvis, but we refuse to let go of the 'classics'! Elvis should have gone with his gut feeling and kept introducing new, different songs each time. And maybe reached back for different classic songs as well - Reconsider Baby, Blue Moon of Kentucky, Such A Night, even Girl Next Door Went-A Walking instead of Hound Dog, Love me Tender, or Blue Suede Shoes. How we love these ones now!
    I do enjoy Elvis' later version of Hound Dog - much more bluesier, although, he was probably just making fun of himself.

International Level SeeSeeRider777's Avatar
    He definatly should have kept that new setlist. Except put in 2001 and See See Rider for the opening. But Elvis must have been tired of singing the same thing for over 6+ years on stage. Its over and over the same songs. I am the fans didnt demand that the song list be changed. Because lets face it the Live albums were mostly the same thing except a different show. Also by this time of his carrer he wasnt doing anything exciting. No touring Europe, no movie roles, and constant touring of the same areas. **** Col WHY DID YOU HAVE TO HOLD HIM BACK! If Elvis would have stuck to it the fans would have accepted it. Elvis was able to reestablish himself when he needed. He did it in the 68 Comeback and in Aloha, showing that he was still the King.
    "When I was a child, ladies and gentlemen, I was a dreamer. I read comic books, and I was a hero in the movie. So every dream that I ever dreamed has come true a hundred times. I learned very early in life that without a song, the day would never end; without a song, a man ain't got a friend; without a song, the road would never bend; without a song. So I keep singing a song." - Elvis Presley

I've been thinking on this question off and on all night. I would say that looking back, it was the concert fans that seemed to enjoy the 50's stuff. I never had that feeling in Las Vegas however. I remember people jumping around and being silly with the "Teddy Bear" and "Hound Dog" routine in the concert venues. Vegas was different. I remember as well as if it were last night the feeling in that showroom when you would hear the opening chords of "American Trilogy" or "My Way". There was almost an electrical feeling in that room.

Elvis picked his setlist for the concerts.The Col didnt have any part of that so you cant point the finger at him on that issue.I believe Elvis kept a familiar setlist because it was comfortable.Dont forget that he gave up on rehearsing for his concerts.New material meant extra work.I know I've said it before but Elvis was in autopilot for the most part during the latter 70's.The motivation for change and creativity was long gone by 74.
    Jak

Rosanne is right - the fans wanted to hear the 50's stuff. You can tell when he sings it - that is not what he wanted to do. I like the 74 set list that was posted and love each of those songs....I love his gospel music too.

Quote Originally Posted by jak View Post
    Elvis picked his setlist for the concerts.The Col didnt have any part of that so you cant point the finger at him on that issue.I believe Elvis kept a familiar setlist because it was comfortable.Dont forget that he gave up on rehearsing for his concerts.New material meant extra work.I know I've said it before but Elvis was in autopilot for the most part during the latter 70's.The motivation for change and creativity was long gone by 74.
    Jak
    You Are Right we can't blame Col. The songs setlist, Elvis is one pick them that time. I think that he keep 2001 theme/See See Ryder Or use That's All Right for Opening song be ok and keep Can't Help Falling in Love for closing Song

here my Throughts on Setlist too been

2001 Theme
    That's All Right
    Big Boss Man
    Proud Mary
    Down In The Alley
    Good Time Charlie's Got The Blues
    It's Midnight
    Softly , As I Leave You
    If You Love Me Let Me Know
    Love Me Tender
    Polk Salad Annie
    Introuctiion
    Blue Moon Of Kentucky
    Promised Land
    Raised On Rock
    Hound Dog
    Trying To Get To You
    Let's Play House baby
    Such A Night
    Can't Help Falling in Love

That's I think He sure have on next show
    Take a look at you and me,,Are we too blind to see, Do we Simply turn our heads and look the other way.....(Line From "in The Ghetto")

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    Jak
    I would disagree with that, jak, based on this very setlist and the rehearsals that went into it. On these rehearsals he sounded quite dedicated and like he still cared very much. He knew what he wanted and worked to achieve the sound he heard in his mind.

However, he definitely gave up too easily in this case. And though I am pretty sure there was some rehearsing in '75 as well, I do actually agree overall with your main point here. The rehearsals I refer to were admittedly nothing like the marathon ones that he went through in '69/'70. But I wouldn't say he was so unmotivated in this regard by '74.
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

Quote Originally Posted by utmom2008 View Post
    I've been thinking on this question off and on all night. I would say that looking back, it was the concert fans that seemed to enjoy the 50's stuff. I never had that feeling in Las Vegas however. I remember people jumping around and being silly with the "Teddy Bear" and "Hound Dog" routine in the concert venues. Vegas was different. I remember as well as if it were last night the feeling in that showroom when you would hear the opening chords of "American Trilogy" or "My Way". There was almost an electrical feeling in that room.
    I see what you mean. During the rehearsal for TTWII, he was talking to the interviewer [or was it on stage?] and says how they had to learn over 50 songs for the documentary. I can understand why concert goers want to hear the 50's music, they want what is familiar But if he had been doing new music releases all along, had quality material to choose from during the 60's that is, he wouldn't be relegated to doing the same old songs. So in a small way, we can blame the Col, because of the demands he put on writers in order for Elvis to present their work. But in the end, it should have been Elvis. He always took charge before in the studio. He should have been more demanding in later years.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonniebealestreet View Post
    I would disagree with that, jak, based on this very setlist and the rehearsals that went into it. On these rehearsals he sounded quite dedicated and like he still cared very much. He knew what he wanted and worked to achieve the sound he heard in his mind.

However, he definitely gave up too easily in this case. And though I am pretty sure there was some rehearsing in '75 as well, I do actually agree overall with your main point here. The rehearsals I refer to were admittedly nothing like the marathon ones that he went through in '69/'70. But I wouldn't say he was so unmotivated in this regard by '74.
    I agree he made a serious attempt in this case to shake things up.It's just this is the only time he tried to get creative with his shows.It's an isolated incident if you will.Elvis would have rehearsed those last few years if he truly was concerned with the content of the shows.If he was motivated in 74 it sure didnt last long.On the heels of Aloha he should have been on fire.He went right back to performing the same show in the same cities night after night.His keeping the same setlist night after night is all the proof you need to know his attitude had changed for the worse.He sold seats know matter what.The fans didnt expect much and Elvis performed at that level becuase it was all that was needed.Even during the dreadfull tours of 76 they came out in droves.He had no need to change what he was doing in his mind probably.Why create when all you have to do is appear?
    Jak

Agreed on all counts, sadly.

To me it's almost unbelievable that Elvis didnt rely on his amazing back catalogue of material when he put his shows together.He had such an incredible body of work to choose from.The fact he ignored it is utterly amazing to me.I dont think he knew how truly spectacular his work was.Why cover Olivia Newton John when you already have all those masterpieces that are youre own?
    Jak

To me it's almost unbelievable that Elvis didnt rely on his amazing back catalogue of material when he put his shows together.He had such an incredible body of work to choose from.The fact he ignored it is utterly amazing to me.I .Why cover Olivia Newton John when you already have all those masterpieces that are youre own?
    Jak
    I can agree with you on much of this. jak.
    Maybe the truest statement is ," dont think he knew how truly spectacular his work was."
    How many of us do recocognize how truly spectacular we are?
    We want to be the best we can be ,but how many of us don't have doubts?
    From what I've heard and read; Elvis doubted himself from the beginning.
    He never fully realized what a talent he was.
    "I have learned never to ridicule any man's opinion, however strange it may seem."

one thing is too bad and that's ...the songs he once did , never came back...
    i mean songs like..

-Let it be me
    -just can't help believin'
    -Sweet caroline
    -In the ghetto
    -Runaway
    -Patch it up
    -It's impossible

he should have done these songs later in the 70's
    but that's just my opinion
    Old Times they are not forgotten
    Johan

The fact he ignored it is utterly amazing to me.I dont think he knew how truly spectacular his work was.Why cover Olivia Newton John when you already have all those masterpieces that are youre own?
    Jak
    I have asked myself that same question a million times Jak. I thought that song was silly when she did it...why did he feel the need to cover it? Same thing goes for "Fairytale."

Which - If You Love Me or Let Me Be There?

I think Fairytale's a great song and also like the above two, though not as much.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast