Thread: What Happened

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar

What Happened

I was just going through some photo's and the same thought went through my mind as has done for years, why the big change in Elvis' clothing and the amount of Jewelry?

I realise that fashions change and people follow trends, but Elvis set trends. There are pictures of Elvis in the 70's where Elvis has a ring on every single finger, now that is extreme and flash. Then there is necklaces, pendants, glasses & of course the clothing just took on another dimension, not to mention the Jumpsuits.

What happened? What made Elvis change....

who knows what happened...Elvis set trends 4 sure.. but not much happened really i guess when elvis felt like wearing Jewelry on certain nights like a ring on almost every finger he would do it..in indy his last concert he wore no rings at all..but what did happen is elvis got lazy in the last few years .actually no new outfits were made...he practically used the same outfit for all of 76 all we saw was elvis in the white or blue prehistoric bird outfit..then in 77 most of the tours he used the sundial suit..not complaining about sundial outfit very beautiful but already worn in oct 74.he should of set a new trend 4 himself in the late 70's and get outta the jumpsuit thingy..like new beautiful 2 piece outfits.u know change style
    Last edited by epmoodyblue; 01-30-2008 at 06:12 PM.
    MY ELVIS WEBSITE
    http://www.tcb-world.com/images/signaturepics/sigpic4801_25.gif[
    ]Elvis i WILL REMEMBER YOU..FOR YOU SING IN MY HEART..AND LIVE IN MY SOUL
    my Selena Website

Good question JJ! Yes, Elvis' style changed a lot, from his hair, the jumpsuits, jewelry...It all got flashier! I think he liked to try new things and went with what he felt good in!

He had already changed on the inside from his early days, so maybe he just wanted to change his outside appearance, as well!

I think Elvis liked all that glitter, it was his style in the 70's, for sure!

franny

Roustabouts
    Well, Elvis was always a flashy guy. But I don't know, maybe he wore a lot of jewelry and stuff to distract people from noticing his size. He had to be self-conscious about it at that I time. I know I would have been.

His style changed every decade. In the 50's he wore the D.A. (ducktail) hairstyle and a single horseshoe ring. In the vegas years he wore jumpsuits with more stones on them,and more jewelery. Later he threw scarves out to the fans..where did that originate? In his last concerts he wore the "pizza pie" suit with more rings, especially the T.C.B. onyx ring. He changed because he got bored and didn't want the audience to get bored with him.

From what I remember, in 1977 we were lucky to see one ring on each hand.
    The Aloha Horse shoe ring, The EP pinky ring and the Tcb ring rocks but some of them earlier ones I really didn't like.

Elvis always had his own style and the 60's and 70's fashions were pretty wild anyway. He never did look like everyone else and I think he just picked up clothes as he went along to create his own look once again along with the jewelry and other accessories. He had an ability to carry anything off all throughout his life....he was just Elvis.

Diane

Sorry to go off topic but that mexican sundial pic in EPMoodyBlue's sig is fantastic Is there any chance of it being turned into a wallpaper?

Pink Striped black pegged pants, long duck tail, pink shirts in the 50s were replaced by the much more subdued 60s clothes he wore- but then with his return to live performing I think that wild fashion bug hit him again. Clothes and jewelry were always pretty important to him and since he had once again become a "live act" that wild side came back out. IMO

Back in the 70's a lot of rings were fashionable and necklaces.
    Last edited by Tommy; 02-02-2008 at 07:36 AM.

I dream a world where man no other man
    will scorn. Where LOVE will bless the earth
    and peace its paths adorn...

Pretty much everyone changed styles in the late sixties/early seventies.

It was neither limited to, nor exemplified by, Elvis.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post
    Pretty much everyone changed styles in the late sixties/early seventies.

It was neither limited to, nor exemplified by, Elvis.
    Please.....don't remind me! I found a box last month.....trust me, it looked like something one might wear to Woodstock.

Elvis always made history: music and even in clothing. I don't know what happened, but I'm happy he did wear those awesome jumpuits and blings he wore. No one else can look as good as he did. That innovator style was always part of him.
    Let the stars fade and fall, and I won't care at all, as long as I have you.
    Elvis...

http://myantiquemusicbox.wordpress.com/
    http://wendy56.wordpress.com/

"You've got it all together like a lovin' machine
    You're lookin' like glory and walkin' like a dream...
    Mother nature's sure been good to Y-O-U"

Wendy