Thread: Indianaplois 77: Why Do People Start These Rhumors?

Southeastern Portion of These Here United States

Indianaplois 77: Why Do People Start These Rhumors?

Have any of you read the story on Elvisnews.com where they (EN) quoted a statement posted on another website that said FTD had come to terms with a person who has a reel to reel tape of Elvis' last concert in Indianapolis, IN 1977?

Elvisnews has since revised their statement saying that Ernst Jorgenson has stated that the story is NOT true and that FTD has no plans for the Indianapolis show.

Now then, my question is this: why do people start such ridiculous rhumors on some of these other Elvis web sites? Don't they realize that eventually they'll be shown to be liars, as was so today? Am I being to sensitive here, or am I right? Someone please straighten me out!
    "Don't tamper with the property of the U.S. Male"

Cadillac King
    Many lies and rumours have been told. Most of them are made because of the hunger for money. For this story: We'll only know if this story is true if the album really appears. Nothing is impossible.

Be safe and take care,

Christel (TCE)

They start rhumors maybe they feel important then. If this is a rhumor, future will tell.

they think they could fool elvis fans and get some bucks...time will tell .

Cadillac King
    I will have to go and have a look, but this was apparently posted on the elvisinfonet.com site and they are pretty much up to speed with everything. They don't start rumours without first checking the details.
    Carolyn
    "Walk A Block In My Socks"

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    It was supposedly a reel-to-reel? Wow...

I thought it was the same tape(s) as was used for Adios.

But I'd certainly buy it from FTD if that was the source, so long as they learned from their mastering mistakes on New Years Eve.

The soundboard would be alright too.
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

Well, I assure you that if this indeed turns out to be true, I will certainly withdraw my statement and apologize.

Actually, I hope it is true, because this would be an historical release for the Elvis world (and this time it would be legal )

Amen!

If I may, I'd like to once again plug my idea for the title of such an FTD. It's a little on the long side, but I think it's perfect. See my signature, less the 'I bet'.

The reasons rumours are started are simple: something heard 'something' from 'someone', then polishes it up a little for some extra juice, and then posts it because they have nothing else to say and want to fit in. Hmmm, this sounds like me !
    'Only thing worse than watching a bad movie is being in one' - Elvis Presley

It's a good thing that you know your self

Piers @ EIN is maintaining that this is a true story. Let's hope...

Yes it is good to have selfknowledge, isn't it Annie

Let's hope this rumour turns out to be true. From Rock Legend we know that the tape is in possession of a Dutch fan, and we also know that EJ said he would contact this fan to see if a deal could be worked out ... who knows, the old 'where there's smoke .... ' may turn out to be true this time! I hope so!
    'Only thing worse than watching a bad movie is being in one' - Elvis Presley

Crazy.

No, I see your point. This will be a monumental release from FTD, and it sounds like Ernst didn't want to spill the beans on this because he may be intending to sit on it for a while, possibly (Piers sort of suggests) saving it to be FTD's swan song. But whenever it comes out, this release will be a big deal and certainly deserves top-notch art and packaging.

But personally, if the sound is better than anything we have now, even if only by a little, then that is the most significant thing.

Well, above all else in terms of significance is that a recording of Elvis' final concert--if this is to be--is going to be officially released.

From what I gather from all of this is the tape in question is an excellent audience recording ; what about trying to obtain the soundboard recording of this show that is supposed to be owned by a disk jockey?

Do you all think this means that there is no soundboard of the final show after all, because if there was don't you think FTD would do everything possible to obtain it rather than passing it by for an audience recording, regardless of how good the quality of it (aud recording) sounds?

I think they'd do everything possible within their budget.

But I'd like to think they could make an exception for such a historic project.

Another question:

If the soundboard was acquired, should the missing songs (in all likelihood it would be incomplete) be replaced by the appropriate songs from the audience source? The norm is to use the soundboard from a different show, but since the Adios recording is of such relative high quality, I think it would be acceptable and appropriate to use the songs from the actual show, though in a lesser quality.

OK, one more question, which I posed before in a different forum (and was ignored, if I recall correctly):

If FTD does ever get a hold of the soundboard, that will be a great thing and would obviously make for great listening. But being used to the really good audience recording, we know something we might miss on such a release would be the awesome audience response, which is rarely captured very well on soundboard recordings. Could those sounds from the audience be isolated from that recording and added to this new fantasy project? I realize there would be some margin of error with that and we would probably have at least some echo and other sounds which could not be separated from the applause and such, but I think that could really add so much to it. Hearing the people respond as they did to him at the very end--as they had been doing since the fifties--seems like such a valuable element to a release of Elvis' last show. I imagine that going to these kinds of lengths would not fit into the FTD budget, but I just wonder if it could be done...if the soundboard even exists.

Lonnie,

I think you summarized the whole thing with that one word - budget.

I am pretty sure that FTD does not operate under the same budgetary layout as does the main BMG label, and I am also pretty sure that anyone who happened to have an original soundboard recording of this show wouldn't part with it for anything less than $1 million.

As for adding the audience reactions to a soundboard, I think it would be a neat idea, because I know on the Adios CD you can hear the audience excitement so vividly, and in excellent quality. It could really give someone a true sense of being there.

I also noticed on FECC that someone said that the title for this cd should be called The Final Curtain, what do you all think about this?

It's a very good one--in fact it's been growing on me. I opined that it would be a better fit if he had sung My Way that night, but it still works. After all, The Last Farewell was not sung that night (nor was it ever performed live, for that matter), yet there was a bootleg LP of the show with that title, and it's fitting. So I think that should definitely be a contender.

But I still like mine the best.