Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: "I walk a lonely street"

  1. #1
    TCB Mafia
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,039

    "I walk a lonely street"

    Has anyone reported on or ever heard anything about the person who wrote this note before committing suicide? Wonder if his/her family knows it inspired the song that started the rock and roll revolution?

  2. #2
    TCB Mafia EP75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,060
    Quote Originally Posted by rocknroll View Post
    Has anyone reported on or ever heard anything about the person who wrote this note before committing suicide? Wonder if his/her family knows it inspired the song that started the rock and roll revolution?
    All that is known is that the song Heartbreak Hotel was inspired by a newspaper article out of Florida that reported a man who committed suicide at a hotel. I don't know if his family ever knew the song was about them or not
    http://i.usatoday.net/life/_photos/2...-overhaulx.jpg "Without a shadow of a doubt, Bob Sillerman is the BEST thing to happen to the Elvis World in a very long time. Even EPE have stated this. During the next ten years we should see a massive boost for the Elvis Legacy."-courtesy, Brian Quinn

    Check out my blog on the new upcoming Graceland expansion and redevelopment.
    http://gracelandfuture.blogspot.com/

  3. #3
    ksimms2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Homosassa, FL
    Posts
    2,408
    Quote Originally Posted by EP75 View Post
    All that is known is that the song Heartbreak Hotel was inspired by a newspaper article out of Florida that reported a man who committed suicide at a hotel. I don't know if his family ever knew the song was about them or not
    Yes I just read this very same thing in the book, "Down At The End Of Lonely Street" which I'm reading now. Pretty good book so far.

  4. #4
    TCB Mafia Princess franny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,444
    Here's some details about the song I saw on wikipedia.
    I'm curious who this man was...

    franny

    It was written by Thomas Durden, then a steel-guitarist in Smiling Jack Herring and his Swing Billies.

    Durden read about a suicide in the Miami Herald in 1955. A well-dressed man had removed all labels from his clothing, destroyed his identity papers and left a note saying: "I walk a lonely street."

  5. #5
    International Level rhythmknights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    666
    Quote Originally Posted by franny View Post
    Here's some details about the song I saw on wikipedia.
    I'm curious who this man was...

    franny
    i know that song written by Mae Axton and Durden, i ;thought it was Ms. Axton who wrote the song after reading the article. i figured that durden wrote the music.
    surely the family made the connection after all these years, anyway. maybe they just chose to keep a low profile, that isn't something you want to be reminded of by everyone - your son's suicide, that is..
    All I wanted was a white knight with a good heart, soft touch, fast horse
    Ride me off into the sunset Baby, I'm forever yours


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 81
    Last Post: 04-11-2010, 09:21 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-20-2007, 07:02 AM
  3. Elvis In "Walk The Line"
    By elvis fan 1976 in forum Off topic
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-27-2006, 02:11 AM
  4. Elvis "WALK THE LINE" movie scenes
    By waymore44 in forum Elvis Presley
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 03-04-2006, 11:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •