Thread: "I walk a lonely street"

TCB Mafia

"I walk a lonely street"

Has anyone reported on or ever heard anything about the person who wrote this note before committing suicide? Wonder if his/her family knows it inspired the song that started the rock and roll revolution?

Quote Originally Posted by rocknroll View Post
    Has anyone reported on or ever heard anything about the person who wrote this note before committing suicide? Wonder if his/her family knows it inspired the song that started the rock and roll revolution?
    All that is known is that the song Heartbreak Hotel was inspired by a newspaper article out of Florida that reported a man who committed suicide at a hotel. I don't know if his family ever knew the song was about them or not
    http://i.usatoday.net/life/_photos/2...-overhaulx.jpg "Without a shadow of a doubt, Bob Sillerman is the BEST thing to happen to the Elvis World in a very long time. Even EPE have stated this. During the next ten years we should see a massive boost for the Elvis Legacy."-courtesy, Brian Quinn

Check out my blog on the new upcoming Graceland expansion and redevelopment.
    http://gracelandfuture.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by EP75 View Post
    All that is known is that the song Heartbreak Hotel was inspired by a newspaper article out of Florida that reported a man who committed suicide at a hotel. I don't know if his family ever knew the song was about them or not
    Yes I just read this very same thing in the book, "Down At The End Of Lonely Street" which I'm reading now. Pretty good book so far.

Here's some details about the song I saw on wikipedia.
    I'm curious who this man was...

franny

It was written by Thomas Durden, then a steel-guitarist in Smiling Jack Herring and his Swing Billies.

Durden read about a suicide in the Miami Herald in 1955. A well-dressed man had removed all labels from his clothing, destroyed his identity papers and left a note saying: "I walk a lonely street."

International Level rhythmknights's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by franny View Post
    Here's some details about the song I saw on wikipedia.
    I'm curious who this man was...

franny
    i know that song written by Mae Axton and Durden, i ;thought it was Ms. Axton who wrote the song after reading the article. i figured that durden wrote the music.
    surely the family made the connection after all these years, anyway. maybe they just chose to keep a low profile, that isn't something you want to be reminded of by everyone - your son's suicide, that is..
    All I wanted was a white knight with a good heart, soft touch, fast horse
    Ride me off into the sunset Baby, I'm forever yours