Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elvis' abortive romance with Natalie Wood.

Loving elvis

Elvis' abortive romance with Natalie Wood.

Lana Wood, sister of screen legend, Natalie Wood, wrote in her book Natalie A Memoir by Her Sister, of the brief relationship in 1956 between Elvis and Natalie:

Then came Natalie's abortive romance with Elvis Presley. They met, and Elvis flew Natalie to his family in Memphis.

They were to be gone almost a week, but just two days into the great adventure, Natalie called.

"Gladys has wrecked everything," Natalie said, referring to Elvis' domineering, jealous mother. "I don't have a chance. Get me out of this, and fast," Natalie said.

It was agreed that Mother would call Natalie back and ask her to come home because of some family emergency. Natalie's romance with the king of rock fizzled out.

"God, it was awful," she told me later. "He can sing, but he can't do much else."

(Source: Natalie A Memoir by Her Sister, Lana Wood, G.P. Putnam's Sons, 1984)

2008/01/18 www.elvisinfonet.com / www.epgold.com

Quote Originally Posted by presley31 View Post
    Lana Wood, sister of screen legend, Natalie Wood, wrote in her book Natalie A Memoir by Her Sister, of the brief relationship in 1956 between Elvis and Natalie:

Then came Natalie's abortive romance with Elvis Presley. They met, and Elvis flew Natalie to his family in Memphis.

They were to be gone almost a week, but just two days into the great adventure, Natalie called.

"Gladys has wrecked everything," Natalie said, referring to Elvis' domineering, jealous mother. "I don't have a chance. Get me out of this, and fast," Natalie said.

It was agreed that Mother would call Natalie back and ask her to come home because of some family emergency. Natalie's romance with the king of rock fizzled out.

"God, it was awful," she told me later. "He can sing, but he can't do much else."

(Source: Natalie A Memoir by Her Sister, Lana Wood, G.P. Putnam's Sons, 1984)

2008/01/18 www.elvisinfonet.com / www.epgold.com
    lol, I'd never say that. She must have been very pissed off to say that.
    Thanks Jen

I hope she was refering to how Gladys kept a tight rein on Elvis. Unless she was talking about other things. I guess Natalie was too wild for Elvis.

Natalie had a lot of emotional problems and maybe was not so respectful towards Gladys which you know wouldn't do for either Gladys or Elvis. I think it's a good thing it fizzled out before any real relationship had a chance to start.

Diane

Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    Natalie had a lot of emotional problems and maybe was not so respectful towards Gladys which you know wouldn't do for either Gladys or Elvis. I think it's a good thing it fizzled out before any real relationship had a chance to start.

Diane
    Never knew she had emotional problems Diane.
    You are right, it's good that it ended before it was too late

Diane
    You are so right Diane. Remember the movie "Splendor In the Grass"? In real life I think that Natalie was about that messed up. While filming that movie she fell for Warren Beatty and divorced Robert Wagner in hopes of getting WB. In the book "Down At the End of Lonely Street" there are a few amusing stories on she and Elvis. Elvis and his buds all thought she was a little strange. I believe the name they came up with for her was "Nutty Nat".....

Coming On Strong
    Actually, although she was overprotective, Gladys was fine with all of Elvis' girlfriends, with the exception of Natalie Wood.

Natalie and Elvis wouldn't have lasted long under any circumstances. They really had absolutely nothing in common.

Loving elvis
    what was wrong with her diane??

She was very emotionally unstable, and had alot of insecurities, especially when it came to romance.

Loving elvis
    Quote Originally Posted by utmom2008 View Post
    She was very emotionally unstable, and had alot of insecurities, especially when it came to romance.
    Thank you, didn't know alot about nat

She was very pretty especially later on when she had her long hair. I was told I looked like her a lot when I was a teenager but I could never see it. In any case she ended up as a suicide by drowning did she not or was that ever proven?

Diane

Coming On Strong
    She was very pretty especially later on when she had her long hair. I was told I looked like her a lot when I was a teenager but I could never see it. In any case she ended up as a suicide by drowning did she not or was that ever proven?
    No, I think the theory is that she drowned accidentally, trying to leave the yacht alone at night.

She was afraid of drowning, if I remember right. I don't think she'd have chosen that way to kill herself.

Loving elvis
    Death
    In September and October 1981, Wood and Wagner stayed in Raleigh, North Carolina while Wood did location work for the science-fiction film Brainstorm.[10] Wood then spent most of November in California shooting interior scenes with Christopher Walken and other cast members on the MGM lot in Culver City.[10]

After Thanksgiving Walken, Wood and Wagner went on to Catalina Island and on Saturday night their yacht the Splendor was anchored in Isthmus Cove. Also on board was the boat's skipper, Dennis Davern, who had worked for the couple for many years. Wood apparently tried to either leave the yacht or secure a dinghy from banging against the hull when she accidentally slipped and fell overboard. A woman on a nearby yacht said she heard calls for help at around midnight. The cries lasted for about 15 minutes and were answered by someone else who said, "Take it easy. We'll be over to get you."[1] "It was laid back," the witness recalled. "There was no urgency or immediacy in their shouts."[1] An investigation by Los Angeles County coroner Thomas Noguchi resulted in an official verdict of accidental drowning. Noguchi concluded Wood had drunk "seven or eight" glasses of wine and was intoxicated when she died. There were marks and bruises on her body which could have been received as a result of her fall.[1] Noguchi later wrote had Wood not been intoxicated she likely would have realized her heavy down-filled coat and wool sweater were pulling her underwater and would have removed them.[11] Noguchi also wrote that he found Wood's fingernails embedded in the rubber boat's side.

At the time of her death at the age of 43, Wood was scheduled to make her stage debut in an Ahmanson Theatre production of Anastasia with Dame Wendy Hiller. Rehearsals were planned to begin in December. Brainstorm was released in theaters two years later (missing at least one unfilmed scene meant for Wood) and was neither a critical nor a commercial success. Natalie Wood is buried in Westwood Village Memorial Park Cemetery.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natalie_Wood

I think you're right and also that she had been drinking heavily if I remember correctly.

Diane

Loving elvis
    I think you're right and also that she had been drinking heavily if I remember correctly.

Diane
    yep according to this she was drinking lots
    Noguchi concluded Wood had drunk "seven or eight" glasses of wine and was intoxicated when she died. There were marks and bruises on her body which could have been received as a result of her fall.[

Sad that life turned out that way for her as she had a lot of potential as an actress.

If I also remember right, for a while there the media (of course) were speculating whether Wagner had killed her.

Diane

MissyM
    So what? She thought that with Gladys right there she was going to have a hot night with Elvis?? Yeh right!

Loving elvis
    Sad that life turned out that way for her as she had a lot of potential as an actress.

If I also remember right, for a while there the media (of course) were speculating whether Wagner had killed her.

Diane
    I thought she was ok, but l didn't know about her being messed up.

I didn't know either Jen. It all came out when she drowned.

Diane

Diane
    About the only thing that was known for sure was that she and both men had been drinking heavy, and apparently some sort of an argument broke out. There were 3 there that night that knew what happened, and sadly one is not here to tell us about it. There was a time when I read everything I could about her and that night...I was always a big fan of hers. Diane...if you look like her then you are a beautiful woman. I always thought that she was absolutely stunning.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast