Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elvis's Fee For The "Aloha" Show?

Elvis's Fee For The "Aloha" Show?

Does anyone know what amount of $$$ Elvis received for doing the "Aloha" show?

It all went to charity.

I dream a world where man no other man
    will scorn. Where LOVE will bless the earth
    and peace its paths adorn...

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    It all went to charity.
    I was just about to say..."I don't think I dreamed this, but didn't it all go the Lee Foundation?"

Hmm...now that I think 'bout it...you're right...thanks, ya'll!!

It was a benefit for the the Kui Lee Cancer Fund. The total earnings of the concert was
    $ 75,000 donated to the Kui Lee Cancer Fund.

I dream a world where man no other man
    will scorn. Where LOVE will bless the earth
    and peace its paths adorn...

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    That the goal was reached (without extra help anyway) always seemed suspect to me since in the rehearsal show Elvis gave the audience the same message about having the $25,000 goal and actually bringing in $75,000. Seems a little odd, does it not?

Since part of the reason for taping the rehearsal show was that so if there was a problem with the live broadcast they could switch over to it, it seems apparent that they already had that exact surpassing of their goal in mind going into it. Very Parker.

Or am I missing something here?
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonniebealestreet View Post
    That the goal was reached (without extra help anyway) always seemed suspect to me since in the rehearsal show Elvis gave the audience the same message about having the $25,000 goal and actually bringing in $75,000. Seems a little odd, does it not?

Since part of the reason for taping the rehearsal show was that so if there was a problem with the live broadcast they could switch over to it, it seems apparent that they already had that exact surpassing of their goal in mind going into it. Very Parker.

Or am I missing something here?

I find it very odd that Elvis makes mention of the $25,000.00 goal in both shows.....it seems to me that they somehow did, in fact, raise the needed amount before both shows.

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    Raise the needed amount meaning $75K X 2?

That doesn't make sense to me...mainly because the total $150K is not mentioned anywhere.
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

Heartbreak Hotel, Room 11 Albert's Avatar
    I alway thought that bringing in $ 75.000 was a joke. I mean, there we no set entrance fees, people had to pay what they believed was right. So that means, that with 6.000 people in the audience, everyone paid about 13 bucks for a ticket... Not that much, because that's just a little bit more than a normal Elvis concert. If this $ 75.000 was raised from the earnings of the actual show PLUS the rehearsal, then it is by no means a generous achievement
    ‎"A year from now, you'll wish you had started today"

Follow TCB-World on Twitter for website updates and Elvisnews: http://twitter.com/tcbworldcom

Quote Originally Posted by Albert View Post
    I alway thought that bringing in $ 75.000 was a joke. I mean, there we no set entrance fees, people had to pay what they believed was right. So that means, that with 6.000 people in the audience, everyone paid about 13 bucks for a ticket... Not that much, because that's just a little bit more than a normal Elvis concert. If this $ 75.000 was raised from the earnings of the actual show PLUS the rehearsal, then it is by no means a generous achievement
    That would average of about 13 U.S. dollars a piece, which does seem low, but it was 35 years ago, which I'm guessing makes $75,000 look like $300,000, assuming that everything has quadrupuled, (with the exception of my paycheck, my boss is still stuck in the seventies). Three hundred grand sounds better, for one show anyway.

Heartbreak Hotel, Room 11 Albert's Avatar
    yes, but was this $ 75.000 a target for both shows combined?

by the way, this is what's in "The COncert Years" book:

The aim was to raise $ 25.000 for the fund. The result turned out to be $ 8.000. Parker decided that the satelite show was not going to have set ticketprices, and that the 200 who paid the most for thei tickets should get a seat in the so called "golden circle".

Elvis and Parker bought themselves a ticket for $ 1000 each. The star of the tv-show "Hawaiian Five-O", Jack Lord, paid the same for 2 tickets. a Nmber of other celebrities paid for tickets at $ 1000 and $ 5000 which resulted in the ticket takings wildly edceedig expectations. tThe opposite extrme also happened- a mother with 5 kids got her tickets for $ 3.75.

Parker decided that if the demands for tickets was great, the audience would be given an opportunity to be tickets for the rehearsal show on the 12th as well.

The tickets for the tv show went on sale on January 7th. At this time 4000 of the 6000 tickets were already sold through postal order. The remaining 2000 tickets were sold the same day, and the tickets for the rehearsal show were put then on sale - and sold out shortly after.
    ‎"A year from now, you'll wish you had started today"

Follow TCB-World on Twitter for website updates and Elvisnews: http://twitter.com/tcbworldcom

I find it hard to believe that the Colonel didn't make a penny off this show....as a matter of fact I thought I read somewhere recently about the deal that was made for this show....or am I thinking about the 68 Comeback? I'll have to research again - I'll read the link that alstrada has provided.

Quote Originally Posted by ksimms2 View Post
    I find it hard to believe that the Colonel didn't make a penny off this show....as a matter of fact I thought I read somewhere recently about the deal that was made for this show....or am I thinking about the 68 Comeback? I'll have to research again - I'll read the link that alstrada has provided.

Every penny of the funds from the show went towards the Kui Lee Cancer fund...including the merchandise profits.

"I have learned never to ridicule any man's opinion, however strange it may seem."

The actual concert was a benefit for the Kui Lee Cancer fund. Elvis I'm pretty sure did not receive a fee for the concerts themselves.
    Audience tickets for his 1973 Aloha from Hawaii television special and its pre-broadcast rehearsal show carried no price, as each audience member was asked to pay whatever he or she could. The performances and concert merchandise sales were a benefit raising $75,000 for the Kui Lee Cancer Fund in Hawaii.

But Elvis was paid for NBC's TV special of the concert. I think the fee from NBC was 1 million- but how much of that went to Elvis I do not know. Also RCA released the double album of the event which went to number 1 the week it was released.

I read that elvis was paid $1 million for the nbc broadscast as well and that Australia offered elvis the same $1million bucks to do one show over there,it was in the uk evening paper back in 1073..that article has alwasys stuck in me head for some strange reason.
    as far as i know the $75.ooo was raised on the rehersal show.and the other proceeds from the full show all went to the charity as well.but elvis didnt say this on the show..i guess just incase they goofed or something.
    Rosanne 4/27/59-7/22/09 Rest in Peace

http://malc07.tripod.com

My Radio shows every Thursday and Sunday at 7pm UK time

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    The actual concert was a benefit for the Kui Lee Cancer fund. Elvis I'm pretty sure did not receive a fee for the concerts themselves.
    Audience tickets for his 1973 Aloha from Hawaii television special and its pre-broadcast rehearsal show carried no price, as each audience member was asked to pay whatever he or she could. The performances and concert merchandise sales were a benefit raising $75,000 for the Kui Lee Cancer Fund in Hawaii.

But Elvis was paid for NBC's TV special of the concert. I think the fee from NBC was 1 million- but how much of that went to Elvis I do not know. Also RCA released the double album of the event which went to number 1 the week it was released.
    Well we know where $500,000 went, the Colonel.

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    But Elvis was paid for NBC's TV special of the concert. I think the fee from NBC was 1 million---------
    Not to mention the $$$$$ earned by EPE with subsequent television airings, video and DVD sales.

Quote Originally Posted by malc07 View Post
    and that Australia offered elvis the same $1million bucks to do one show over there
    It was $1 million for two shows, in Sydney and Melbourne, in 1974.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast