Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When star meets star!

Loving elvis

When star meets star!

Frankie Avalon
    When Elvis came back from the service and he was greeted by all the publicity, the press, the photographers, reporters, and so forth. They said to him, and it's on tape, "Well, what do you think now that you're not number one and that Frankie Avalon is?" And he said "I love that song (Venus) and there's room for everybody." And I thought that was really genuine, nice compliment.
    Frankie Avalon

Johnny Cash
    Elvis was already making noise in Memphis when I got there in '54. The first time I saw Elvis, singing from a flatbed truck at a Katz drugstore opening on Lamar Avenue, two or three hundred people, mostly teenage girls, had come out to see him. With just one single to his credit, he sang those two songs over and over. That's the first time I met him. (Girlfriend) Vivian and I went up to him after the show, and he invited us to his next date at the Eagle's Nest.
    Elvis and I talked about music, but I never spoke to him about Sun Records or any other connection into the music business.

Carl Perkins
    When I first walked into Sun Studios, Elvis was already doing really well with his first record "That's Alright Mama" backed with Bill Monroe's "Blue Moon of Kentucky." I heard a disc jockey from Memphis, a fellow by the name of bob Neal, who later became Elvis' first manager. When I first heard Elvis' record, my wife said to me, "Carl, that sounds like you." I said, "It does, doesn't it?" We were playing the same kind of music, playing the same instrumentation upright bass guitar and Elvis' singing. I loved him for what he was and the music he played, but when I heard his record I said, "I got to get to Memphis."
    I walked in at Sun Studio and a lady named Marion Keisler asked me if she could help and I said, "I sure hope so, Ma'am. My brother is out there in the car and we came to pick a little." She said, "Well, I'm sorry but we got this new boy, Elvis Presley, in and he is all we can handle. He is getting hot, hot, hot." I said, "I know. I know. I saw a picture of him. I never seen him and I said, "Is that him?" She said, "That's him." I said, "My God, he is pretty, too." And he was. He was a good looking guy.

Ann-Margret
    "Elvis Presley, I'd like you to meet a wonderful young lady, Ann-Margret," said [director] George Sidney. "Ann-Margret, this is Elvis Presley." I reached out my hand and shook it gently. "I've heard a lot about you," we said at the same time, which made us laugh and broke the ice.
    It also allowed me to catch a glimpse of Elvis' famous smile, set off to the left, slightly crooked, very warm and nice. In a few months, the posters advertising Viva Las Vegas would tout us as "that Go-Go guy and that Bye-Bye gal," but that day we looked rather straitlaced. Elvis wore a conservative suit and tie. I must say, he looked great.
    We left with a good sense of each other. I realized Elvis was as shy and ill-at-ease meeting new people as I was. If nothing else, at least we had that much in common. Later, he told me that he, too, thought that he detected a kindred soul in me - a smile, a glance.

Sammy Davis, Jr.
    I parked my motorcycle in the driveway of the Beverly Wilshire Hotel and went to the penthouse suite. I'd met Elvis on the set of his 3rd picture, King Creole. Both of us were rebels in our own ways and we'd gravitated toward each other. We both had motorcycles. I had a cut-down Harley and we ran together whenever we were in the same town. Up in his living room he was at the piano and Elvis started doing Ray Charles. He was a marvelous impressionist. I could do Ray but not with the piano. Elvis did the best white Ray Charles I've ever heard.

Liberace
    I was at the white heat of my television fame, and playing in Vegas, when Elvis came to town for his first engagement. Elvis' manager, Colonel Parker, came to see me. He said, "He admires you so much. If I could bring him over for a picture, he'd really appreciate it."
    Elvis came. We switched jackets. I held his guitar, while he sat at the piano. That photograph went all over the world. One thing about Elvis. He never forgot a friend. Every opening night, I got a guitar made of fresh flowers. At first, I thought it was Colonel Parker who was sending them, but when I later ran into Elvis, he asked if I got his flowers. He added, "I only send them to people I love, you know."

Joe Esposito
    I met Elvis Aaron Presley 43 years ago and I will never forget that first meeting. I can still see his handsome face with that beautiful smile. I knew we were going to be friends. It is very had for me to believe that Elvis left us 25 years ago! It's been said a million times, "Elvis' fans are the greatest fans in the universe." I agree!
    A day never goes by without me hearing or reading Elvis' name on the radio, TV, or a movie, or read it in a newspaper or a magazine.
    I miss him very much. If it were not for Elvis I would have not met such nice people around the world. And I have made some really good friends, too. I would love to list them all, but Darwin would have to add another page to this magazine. They know who they are!

Marian Cocke - Elvis' nurse and friend
    I look back over the past 25 years and it is so hard to believe that it has been so long since Elvis passed away. It seems like yesterday but this is not a time to mourn his death. It's a time to remember and celebrate his life.
    When I "officially" met Elvis it was a cold January day. I was supposed to be off duty that day, but Dr. Nick had asked me if I would come in that day and be with Elvis. He told me that Elvis was basically a shy fellow and that it would help if I would be there. I wasn't too happy about giving up my day off but I said okay. Let me tell you this! That was a great day for me! When I reached the hospital I knew that he was ahead of me as I could feel the static electricity in the air! I'm not kidding. It was powerful. When I walked in his room and he looked at me and smiled I knew then and there that he would be a part of my life for a long time. And he was, is, and will be for as long as I am me. Some things never fade away. Some people never fade away. Memories of Elvis will linger on

Billy Joel
    If it weren't for Elvis, I don't know how many of us would be here. He really changed all of our lives; he was The King.

Tom Petty
    I always loved rock 'n' roll ever since I was 11 years old and saw Elvis Presley in Gainesville, Florida, when he came to shoot the movie "Follow That Dream." My aunt took us to the set and while he didn't have much to say to us, he was an incredible sight. That really was the start of my love affair with rock 'n' roll.

David Bowie
    When I saw Elvis Presley in Madison Square Garden in the mid-70's, I realized how big rock and theater could be and that's what I wanted to do; it was a real goal. I hadn't been on a plane in years, I refused to fly, but I flew from London to New York for that concert.

Bono, U2
    The energy of rock 'n' roll was always about sliding down the surface of fantasies. It was always about Elvis, not just because he was Elvis, but because he was that big star.

B.B. King
    Every time Elvis Presley released a tune, it sold a million copies the first or second day after its release. He had records played every place they played records. People like this become a super, super star and they need protection; the public can hurt them without realizing it. So, they can't go out, they can't be themselves. It's like they're in jail. They can only go so far without having people around them all the time.

Larry Geller
    I sometimes think his uniqueness was simply that he brought so much joy and happiness into so many lives - spreading love into the hearts of so many the world over. Toward the end of his life, when he was desperately ill, Elvis would get up on that stage to perform. No matter how he felt because he wanted to please his fans. He felt he owed them everything. Maybe it was his Adonis-like face, his incredible voice, the sheer excitement of his performances. Could it be that even though he attained the pinnacle of glory, he never forgot that he came from the pit of poverty, retaining an innocence that always shown through? When Elvis was on stage and spotted a mother holding her baby, he would stop in his tracks, go over and with that characteristic smile of his, shake his head - eyes twinkling - bend down and plant a kiss.

D.J. Fontana
    A bunch of us got together on bus and traveled to Memphis in 1968. Lisa was just a baby then, and we took gifts to her. It was all so normal. We went to Graceland and Elvis was sitting holding the baby. He just looked so good, I never saw him so happy or as proud as he did that day. That's how I remember him, with this big grin as wide as the Mississippi Bridge. We sort of lost touch after that. Elvis went back on the road. At the end of it all you've got to say, Elvis was never going to get to be an old man. We've just got to celebrate his life and all the good things, forget the crap that's been written. In my life I've been lucky enough to work with the greatest STAR of them all. I wouldn't trade that for a pot of money. Twenty-five years later I still play, I am in good health and I get to go to places just because of Elvis - that'll do for me.

Johnny Tillotson
    I had taken my song "Dreamy Eyes" to George Klein, Memphis DJ and Elvis friend and said to George: "I can really hear Elvis singing this song," because I felt Priscilla had the prettiest eyes I'd ever seen. About eight months later I got a call that Elvis had recorded one of my songs, and I assumed that it was "Dreamy Eyes," but it turned out to be "It Keeps Right On a Hurtin." When Elvis was in Germany getting ready to work, he was listening to Country Music and heard my song, and he wanted to record it. That's the way Elvis picked his music, when he heard something that he liked, he recorded it. Elvis put his song in one of his albums "From Elvis In Memphis", and I couldn't have been more thrilled and proud, because Elvis was my 'Idol.'

Shelley Fabares
    Shelley appeared in three films with Elvis: "Girl Happy," "Clambake," and "Spinout".
    Over the years, I have tried very hard not to talk about Elvis. I always felt that if he had talked about himself when he was alive, perhaps I would feel differently about it. But it just doesn't seem right for me to talk about him, because he was a private person who had no privacy. I will say, though, that my experiences working with him were wonderful. I really loved him and thought he was terrific. We had a fabulous time doing each film, even though some of them were mind-numbingly stupid. Sometimes we'd hear each other saying lines, look at each other and go, 'Is there any possible way to make these sound real?' We laughed from beginning to end. They were fun to do.

Mary Tyler Moore
    I thought anyone who had been the center of all that insanity for so long would have some of it rub off on him. But, after working in "Change of Habit" with him, I realized I'd never worked with a more gentlemanly, kinder man. He was gorgeous."

J.D. Sumner
    Bass Singer of the Stamps and Close Friend We will miss you in Memphis, J.D. When Elvis' daddy (Vernon) had a heart attack, Elvis wanted him to have a private room. However, it was impossible for him to have a private intensive care room. So Elvis spent hundreds of thousands of dollars and booked the entire intensive care unit, so his daddy wouldn't have to be bothered by anybody else.

Elton John
    Elvis Presley was the first person I ever heard (sing) Rock 'n' Roll. I remember seeing a Life Magazine article about Elvis. I thought, 'this is something from "Planet X."' And that same weekend, my mother came home with several records including "Heartbreak Hotel"…and that changed my life. As a matter of fact, Elvis changed so many people's lives…incredible!

Roy Orbison
    I wrote a song, "Only the Lonely" and I decided to show it to Elvis on my way to Nashville. So, I arrived in Memphis very early one morning at Elvis' house…he'd just gotten out of the army. But he told me that it would be best to meet him later in the day in Nashville. So I went on, and in Nashville I played the song for Phil Everly, but never did show it to Elvis. I did it myself, lucky me!

Gene Nelson
    Gene directed Elvis in two films: "Kissin' Cousins"- 1964 and "Harm Sacrum"- 1965. Both for MGM
    He's diligent. He enjoys acting. He is professional, always on time and knows his lines. He'd do anything, especially physical…'cause he's a black-belt in karate. He'd jump off a building into a wet Kleenex if I asked him.

source: http://groups.msn.com/ELVISZONE/starsonelvis.msnw

Thanks you so much, very interesting to read!
    Elvis had alot effect for all the musicians
    Taking Care of Business
    Til we meet you again, may God bless you, Adios.

Thanks, for posting Jen.
    It was nice to read all the lovely things they said about Elvis!

franny

It was nice to read all these comments from so many people. I especially loved what D.J. Fontana had to say.

Thanks Jen.

Diane

Thanks So Much!
    TCB W/TLC (((HUGS))...

Very interesting. I enjoyed all the comments. Thank you for posting them.
    Goodbye Rosanne...Your "family" in TCB will always remember you.

Good post Jen. Enjoyed reading the comments.

D.J. Fontana
    A bunch of us got together on bus and traveled to Memphis in 1968. Lisa was just a baby then, and we took gifts to her. It was all so normal. We went to Graceland and Elvis was sitting holding the baby. He just looked so good, I never saw him so happy or as proud as he did that day. That's how I remember him, with this big grin as wide as the Mississippi Bridge. We sort of lost touch after that. Elvis went back on the road. At the end of it all you've got to say, Elvis was never going to get to be an old man. We've just got to celebrate his life and all the good things, forget the crap that's been written. In my life I've been lucky enough to work with the greatest STAR of them all. I wouldn't trade that for a pot of money. Twenty-five years later I still play, I am in good health and I get to go to places just because of Elvis - that'll do for me.
    I loved reading all these, Jen. Especially Fontana's.Thanks so much.
    "I have learned never to ridicule any man's opinion, however strange it may seem."

thanks for posting these
    rick

SleepyJack
    That was lovely,thanks for posting.It`s great to have things like this to balance out all the negative,ugly stuff we hear about so often.Thanks again.

Thanks for posting that Jen, really enjoyed reading it

Re: When star meets star!

Thanks for posting this!!

I LOVE
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    ♪ ♫♪ ♫♪ ♫♪ [̲̅̅E̲̅][̲̅̅L̲̅][̲̅̅V̲̅][̲̅̅I̲​̅][̲̅̅S̲̅] [̲̅̅P̲̅][̲̅̅R̲̅][̲̅̅E̲̅][̲̅̅S̲​̅][̲̅̅L̲̅[̲̅̅E̲̅][̲̅̅Y̲̅] ♫♪ ♫♪ ♫♪
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

My page on YouTube and on MyElvisWorld:
    http://www.youtube.com/cibetty, http://www.myelvisworld.com/cibetty

Sure wish there was something written about Ricky Nelson meeting Elvis in 1957.I mean the real scoop.
    The One and Only King of Rock'n'Roll.

"Up in his living room he was at the piano and Elvis started doing Ray Charles. He was a marvelous impressionist. I could do Ray but not with the piano. Elvis did the best white Ray Charles I've ever heard. "\

Now that I would like to hear!

International Level elvispresleytheking's Avatar

Great quotes, but I waouldn't call all of them "stars"

Some of those I never heard before!
    Work in Progress!

TCB Mafia

Larry Geller
    When Elvis was on stage and spotted a mother holding her baby, he would stop in his tracks, go over and with that characteristic smile of his, shake his head - eyes twinkling - bend down and plant a kiss.

Does anyone have a baby I can borrow? lol

TCB Mafia

Wow, very thoughtful:

J.D. Sumner
    When Elvis' daddy (Vernon) had a heart attack, Elvis wanted him to have a private room. However, it was impossible for him to have a private intensive care room. So Elvis spent hundreds of thousands of dollars and booked the entire intensive care unit, so his daddy wouldn't have to be bothered by anybody else.

I would have loved to have seen this:

Sammy Davis, Jr.
    Elvis started doing Ray Charles. He was a marvelous impressionist. I could do Ray but not with the piano. Elvis did the best white Ray Charles I've ever heard.

I agree:

I love Joe's consistent, upbeat, and positive manner, too.

Joe Esposito
    "Elvis' fans are the greatest fans in the universe." I agree!
    A day never goes by without me hearing or reading Elvis' name on the radio, TV, or a movie, or read it in a newspaper or a magazine.
    I miss him very much. If it were not for Elvis I would have not met such nice people around the world. And I have made some really good friends, too. They know who they are!

Quote Originally Posted by presley31 View Post
    When Elvis came back from the service and he was greeted by all the publicity, the press, the photographers, reporters, and so forth. They said to him, and it's on tape*, "Well, what do you think now that you're not number one and that Frankie Avalon is?" And he said "I love that song (Venus) and there's room for everybody." And I thought that was really genuine, nice compliment.
    Frankie Avalon

* Is it?

And Venus was No.1 an entire year before Elvis was discharged.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

It is on tape (recorded). I have heard this interview as well, and am pretty sure
    I have that soundclip somewhere.

It was just another silly question by some reporter, to which Elvis obviously reacted best he could at the time. Elvis is not mentioning a song title if I remember this particular sound clip correctly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast