Thread: Death of Mr. Bill Belew

Death of Mr. Bill Belew

This is taken from The B&K Costumes Web Site:

IMPORTANT MESSAGE:
    It is with the deepest sadness that I must report that we have lost another member of the Elvis family, as well as a beloved Mentor and friend--Bill Belew. Bill lost his fight after a prolonged illness on January 7, 2008. He died of cardiac arrest.

We ask for you to pray for his family and his friend and partner Paul. More information will be added to the site next week upon our returnfrom our business trip to Europe.

In conclusion, and personally speaking, Kim and I are heart broken over the loss of our dear friend of over 20 years. He will be missed deeply. Our love goes to Paul and Bill's family.

"In life there is agony, in death is the nature of things".

God Bless,
    Butch Polston

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"It was a rare occurence to have the pleasure of working with a talent of Bill Belew's caliber. He was a soft spoken and charming gentleman.

My best thoughts to his partner Paul. Our blessings go with Bill."

Gene Doucette

I would also like to add that I also had the opportunity to work with Mr.. Belew. He was a terrific guy. Very encouraging, up beat and postive. Not to mention his design talent. He will be greatly missed.

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar
    So sad...

Another member of the Elvis World family has left us. Rest in peace Bill!!

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

I never knew Bill Belew was gay ...

"Not that there's anything wrong with that!"
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Bill Belew, who headed the design team for Elvis Presley's stagewear and much of his personal wardrobe from 1969 to 1977, died of cardiac arrest yesterday after a prolonged illness. In lieu of flowers the family suggests that donations be made to any of a number of Bill's favorite charities per his wishes. A list of those charities and other details will be posted here as soon the family provides the information.

Bill Belew and his design team made an outstanding contribution to the definition of Elvis Presley's personal style on stage and off. Belew designed the now iconic black leather suit Elvis wore for the key components of his all important 1968 "comeback" television special, along with his other outfits for the show. The collaboration continued through the 1970s, including the famous jumpsuits Elvis wore on stage, most notably the American Eagle jumpsuit made for the global television concert event Elvis: Aloha from Hawaii, via Satellite.

"You could be daring as a designer and put anything on Elvis and he could make it work. And the simplest outfits that didn't seem particularly remarkable on the rack transformed into something spectacular when Elvis put them on. He was that beautiful and powerful a presence. As a wardrobe designer Bob Mackie had a perfect muse and a perfect canvas in Cher. I got to have that in Elvis." - Bill Belew

Bill Belew played a special role in Elvis history and was a beloved friend to all of us at Elvis Presley Enterprises. We will miss him.

Get Him, get him~~Hot D*** ~~ he's a Squirrel!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI7WiBUN_Bw

Bye Bye Bill. Rest In peace xxx

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar
    Very sad indeed. Our thoughts and prayers are will Bill's family.

Below is a picture courtesy of Leroy in 2005
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bill 2005.jpg  

Backstage Pass President Presley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post
    I never knew Bill Belew was gay ...

"Not that there's anything wrong with that!"
    Indeed, there's nothing wrong that you didn't know Bill was gay
    "Here's to our wives and girlfriends...may they never meet!".
    Groucho Marx

Rest in Peace Bill. Without him, we wouldn't of had that Leather suit and Aloha suit that everyone loves. He say in an interview that he didn't want any of suits to take away from Elvis' masculinity. After finding out that he was gay, that statement makes adds up.

AWESOME WORK ON BRINGING ELVIS BACK TO WORLD WITH A NEW COOL IMAGE.

Quote Originally Posted by Dovey View Post
    Bill Belew, who headed the design team for Elvis Presley's stagewear and much of his personal wardrobe from 1969 to 1977, died of cardiac arrest yesterday after a prolonged illness. In lieu of flowers the family suggests that donations be made to any of a number of Bill's favorite charities per his wishes. A list of those charities and other details will be posted here as soon the family provides the information.

Bill Belew and his design team made an outstanding contribution to the definition of Elvis Presley's personal style on stage and off. Belew designed the now iconic black leather suit Elvis wore for the key components of his all important 1968 "comeback" television special, along with his other outfits for the show. The collaboration continued through the 1970s, including the famous jumpsuits Elvis wore on stage, most notably the American Eagle jumpsuit made for the global television concert event Elvis: Aloha from Hawaii, via Satellite.

"You could be daring as a designer and put anything on Elvis and he could make it work. And the simplest outfits that didn't seem particularly remarkable on the rack transformed into something spectacular when Elvis put them on. He was that beautiful and powerful a presence. As a wardrobe designer Bob Mackie had a perfect muse and a perfect canvas in Cher. I got to have that in Elvis." - Bill Belew

Bill Belew played a special role in Elvis history and was a beloved friend to all of us at Elvis Presley Enterprises. We will miss him.

Thanks for posting this Dovey! May Bill rest in peace.

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar
    Not to take away from Bill in any way but Gene did all the design work from 1971 onwards....

When ever I heard him speak or read an interview of his involvement in the Elvis World I was always impressed with him. At least you can say he left his mark in the world.

JD

He was a hugely creative individual, what great work he did for Elvis.