Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jerry Schilling interview with Goldmine

Cool

That was a really fascinating read!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ehollier View Post
    I read this book recently (and re-read it again) and was truly moved by what Jerry wrote about his friend, Elvis, about their lives together, things that they did, and his untimely death. It moved me to tears (and I don't move to tears very easily!!!). I didn't cry b/c Elvis died, but because Jerry lost a friend, just as if I were to lose my best friend, or a parent or a spouse or child. The book focus' on the human side of the man rather than the image. I was especially moved when he described the time that Elvis asked him to go for a ride (mid-60's) and they went to the graveyard to visit Elvis' mother's grave. Jerry's description is so touching!!! Also, he describes one of Elvis' visits to the hospital (mid-70's) and watching Elvis battle his addiction to sleeping pills. Its all so human!!! If you haven't read the book, it is one that shouldn't be overlooked!!!
    '

I think it was a good book too. Don't think it was a "whitewash" as some say. He just told the story of a friend.
    He wasn't vicious about it, only sad.
    "I have learned never to ridicule any man's opinion, however strange it may seem."

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    '

I think it was a good book too. Don't think it was a "whitewash" as some say. He just told the story of a friend.
    He wasn't vicious about it, only sad.
    I never really understood the "whitewash" theory either.There is plenty of talk about the drugs and what they were doing to him. Like you said...it was told with kindness rather than anger.

Quote Originally Posted by utmom2008 View Post
    I never really understood the "whitewash" theory either.There is plenty of talk about the drugs and what they were doing to him. Like you said...it was told with kindness rather than anger.
    I think the difference is some books lack "grace and civility"
    They seem to go for the adjectives which will sell books but not necessarily tell a balanced view of how things may have happened. Point of view- sympathetic, angry, or matter of fact also make a huge difference. You can paint any life the way you want it to be seen- just by picking the right tone and the right adjectives.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12