Thread: The Holy Grails of Elvis' music

The Holy Grails of Elvis' music

Talk of an Elvis music 'Holy Grail' on another thread got me thinking.

What would be your Holy Grails?

My five personal Holy Grails would be:

1. October 3, 1942: Seven-year-old Elvis sings Old Shep at the Mississippi-Alabama Fair and Dairy Show. There are reports that this show was broadcast on radio every year. How amazing it would be if someone had happened to have captured it. If only ...

2. April 9, 1953: "Guitarist Elvis Prestly" as the 16th act at the Humes High School Minstrel Show.
    (Sidenote: we don't know the precise date - do we? - but I'd also love to hear the first time Elvis ever got up in front of his classmates to sing).

3. August 27, 1965: This is the one that got me thinking. Okay, so now there's some contention as to whether it all occurred as we've been told over the years, but I'd kill to hear any Elvis/Beatles jam session.
    (Sidenote: I will expand this to include any private jam session or singalong he had with other entertainers. For example, we've seen the pic of Elvis jamming with Mama Cass from '73, so what about that? Bliss, I would imagine. And stuff with Tom Jones of course).

4. July 31, 1969: The first show back in Vegas. No further comment or explanation is needed, I think.

5. August 16, 1977: Elvis tinkles away at the piano in the racquetball court on Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain and Unchained Melody. Unlike some of the other examples above, how easy would it have been for someone to have recorded this? Just Elvis softly singing. Someone could have flicked on a recorder ... you know, just for the hell of it. Man, if only. Then we'd have what was his real and absolutely final musical work.

Obviously, there are no right or wrong answers. And of course it goes without saying that anyone who lists any other Grails than these will be ridiculed beyond belief, laughed at, scorned and otherwise made to feel totally unwelcome in this thread.

Kidding!

Enjoy, kids.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post

Good question, Getlo.

1. A ten disc dvd set of all footage shot for Elvis On Tour.
    2. 2 disc dvd set of the 1977 CBS footage.
    3. Pied Piper footage.
    4. Any 1970 Astrodome soundboard
    5. DVD release of a selection of Ep's private films, featuring Priscilla et al.

Don't know if the first two fit the bill as being 'Grail like' ie, mythological...........though I do think they will be harder to find.

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar
    There is definitely some holy grails, to get them to five well to start with.

1. Be at the recording of the Sun Sessions, just the raw power that kick started global rock 'n' roll

2. Attend the 68 Special shows for obvious reasons

3. Any TTWII rehearsal to be one of a select few to enjoy the jamming session.

4. Aloha From Hawaii Shows both of them, also for obvious reasons.

5. Jungle room sessions, I realise that Elvis had lost the zest for recording, however Elvis in this informal type situation just kicking back would have been so cool to see.

I agree to all of the above! I'd love to have been at Aloha and 68 Comeback Special!

My Holy Grails:
    (not claiming they were ever commited to tape)
    1. Sam Phillips attempt to have Elvis record Without Love
    2. Any Jam sessions
    3. multitracks of all concerts, including 50's and 60's. (yes I know very unlikey)
    4. Hound dog/ Don't Be Cruel binaural sessions.
    5. any unreleased 50's binaural sessions.

Jim Albert
    If you're an Elvis Fan no explanation is necessary.
    If you're not, no explanation is possible :

Definitely the opening show in Las Vegas 1969 and any/all rehearsals from Sun Studio on.

Diane

Cadillac King
    i agree with diane 1969 opening night! and getlo your selection of unchained melody and blue eyes crying in the rain on 16/8/77 would have been amazing! byt 7/31/69 would have been phenomenal! apparently he had tears in his eyes when he came off!
    1969 july 31st, will we ever see anything?? sob sob!

Great thread Getlo. I'm going to think on this and get back to you. I totally agree with Diane......1. July 31, 1969
    2. I really wish there had been a secret recording of the conversation that took place in the suite at The Hilton when Priscilla told him she was leaving. I realize that's not very musical, yet it was a moment I would love to have access to.....

Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post
    Talk of an Elvis music 'Holy Grail' on another thread got me thinking.

My five personal Holy Grails would be:

1. October 3, 1942: Seven-year-old Elvis sings Old Shep at the Mississippi-Alabama Fair and Dairy Show. There are reports that this show was broadcast on radio every year. How amazing it would be if someone had happened to have captured it. If only ...

2. April 9, 1953: "Guitarist Elvis Prestly" as the 16th act at the Humes High School Minstrel Show.
    (Sidenote: we don't know the precise date - do we? - but I'd also love to hear the first time Elvis ever got up in front of his classmates to sing).

3. August 27, 1965: This is the one that got me thinking. Okay, so now there's some contention as to whether it all occurred as we've been told over the years, but I'd kill to hear any Elvis/Beatles jam session.
    (Sidenote: I will expand this to include any private jam session or singalong he had with other entertainers. For example, we've seen the pic of Elvis jamming with Mama Cass from '73, so what about that? Bliss, I would imagine. And stuff with Tom Jones of course).

4. July 31, 1969: The first show back in Vegas. No further comment or explanation is needed, I think.

5. August 16, 1977: Elvis tinkles away at the piano in the racquetball court on Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain and Unchained Melody.
    Unlike some of the other examples above, how easy would it have been for someone to have recorded this? Just Elvis softly singing. Someone could have flicked on a recorder ... you know, just for the hell of it. Man, if only. Then we'd have what was his real and absolutely final musical work.

Obviously, there are no right or wrong answers. And of course it goes without saying that anyone who lists any other Grails than these will be ridiculed beyond belief, laughed at, scorned and otherwise made to feel totally unwelcome in this thread.

Kidding!

Enjoy, kids.
    These would be at the top of my list.

[QUOTE=Getlo;173103]we've seen the pic of Elvis jamming with Mama Cass from '73QUOTE]

Do you mean this one of them jamming?

http://i.usatoday.net/life/_photos/2...-overhaulx.jpg "Without a shadow of a doubt, Bob Sillerman is the BEST thing to happen to the Elvis World in a very long time. Even EPE have stated this. During the next ten years we should see a massive boost for the Elvis Legacy."-courtesy, Brian Quinn

Check out my blog on the new upcoming Graceland expansion and redevelopment.
    http://gracelandfuture.blogspot.com/

Ok here are Presley Grails:

1. The so call Sun recordings of "Satisfied", "I Got a Woman" and some other songs that
    have been rumored to exist but they were lost as well as many outakes.

2. Audio from a complete gig at whatever club in Memphis: Bon Air, Eagleīs Nest, '54/'55.

3. The Footage from the Pied Piper from '55.

4. The Complete 50's Radio Shows, (not only the Lousiana Hayride oneīs)

4. The 31 takes (or whatever they were) of "Hound Dog". Also alternate takes
    from "Donīt be Cruel".

5. Complete audio from the July 4 Elvis concert at Russwood Park Memphis. (Can we ask for
    video too?

6. There is this rumor about Elvis, Scotty and Bill jaming with Lowell Fullson at a blues club
    somewhere in '56. I want audio from that.

7. Complete audio from any of the Canadian shows. (We want video too arenīt we?)

8. READ THIS. Audio and Video from the October 28 concert at the Pan Pacific Auditorium L.A.
    were suposedly Elvis went as wild as rolling up with Nipper around the stage, and police asked
    to tone down his show or he would be arrested next night. The wildest concert ever?

9. The complete police footage from the October 29 concert L.A. (This is something that in fact
    might be found, we have seen some clips from it in THIS IS ELVIS)

10. Audio from the '61 Memphis gigs.

11. Elvis Jaming with John Lennon August '65.

12. Video from the sit down shows rehearsals for the '68 comeback special (The ones we have
    seen in photographs of Elvis Jaming on his Blue Demin Gear)

13. Audio if not video from the Press conference July '31 at Vegas.

14. Audio from July '69: Elvis rehearsing in L.A. with his new band before it was called the TCB
    Band, also Audio and Video from Opening Night in VEgas July 31, same year.

15. Pro-quality footage from any concert Vegas '69.

16. Pro-quality footage and audio from the Houston concerts Feb 1970.

17. All the material that was shot for TTWII and Elvis on Tour.

18. Elvis Presley singing gospel at the piano with James Brown at his Vegas Suite.

19. Any photograph of any of the 3 meetings between Elvis Presley and members of Led Zeppelin
    and audio of Presley and Plant singing "Love Me".

20. Any photograph from Elvis during the Jungleroom Sessions (There is a whole story about it).

21. Elvis sitting at the piano for the last time Aug. 16 1977. Audio.
    Last edited by Raised on Rock; 01-04-2008 at 04:06 PM.