Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Elvis Presley meeting with Richard Nixon a Joke?

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    The real question is why did Nixon give him the badge with such ease?
    I think Nixon was just doing something that he thougth would help his image.Im sure he and his advisers were just looking for a nice photo opportunity.Elvis getting that badge was a huge farce.For his part Elvis was just playing out a fantasy and he got lucky.If Elvis Presley becoming a federal agent isnt completely absurd I dont know what is.The whole thing is just classic 70'S Presley from start to finish.It's so nuts you have to love it.
    Jak

Quote Originally Posted by jak View Post
    Elvis getting that badge was a huge farce.For his part Elvis was just playing out a fantasy and he got lucky.If Elvis Presley becoming a federal agent isnt completely absurd I dont know what is.The whole thing is just classic 70'S Presley from start to finish.It's so nuts you have to love it.
    I wouldn't go so far as to call the meeting a farce. Elvis - in his own strange way - was being sincere. And Nixon, while certainly a crook and the second-worst US president in memory - was nothing if not polite.

Either way, it's one of the most bizarre and fascinating events of the 20th century.

Here is a good site that gives plenty of details about it all:

http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/nsa/elvis/elnix.html
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post

Thanks Getlo for the link... very interesting site!
    "before you abuse, criticise and accuse... walk a mile in my shoes"

I wouldn't go so far as to call the meeting a farce. Elvis - in his own strange way - was being sincere. And Nixon, while certainly a crook and the second-worst US president in memory - was nothing if not polite.

Either way, it's one of the most bizarre and fascinating events of the 20th century.

I use the word farce because that's the only way I can describe Elvis getting that badge.It's outrageous and something like that couldnt happen in this day and age.I do agree it's bizarre and fascinating to say the least.

The whole thing is just classic 70'S Presley from start to finish.It's so nuts you have to love it.
    I have always found it interesting that he took pictures of Lisa and Priscilla. Like Getlo said....in an offbeat sort of way he was very sincere. There's something about the whole thing that is really rather endearing.

For those that don't know, there is an exhibit about the meeting at Graceland (in the Elvis After Dark, from memory).

It has loads of pictures, and videos featuring Jerry Schilling talking about the meeting. And Nixon speaks very highly of Elvis in the video as well.

A copy of Elvis' letter to Nixon is there, along with other documents. And the best thing is the display case featuring the outfits worn by both men on the day!

Not sure if the Nixon suit is still there though (it was in the middle of last year anyway) as the suit was on temporary loan from the Richard Nixon Library in California.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

I absolutely think Elvis was sincere in his motives.Im not quite sure how rational he was however.I mean many men and women work very hard at their careers to achieve that posistion.Elvis just walks up and requests that badge with not having earned the right to do so.That's the farce for me.He didnt deserve that badge and shouldnt have gotten it.In no way had he paid his dues or earned it.He was just tliving out his fantasy role playing.To me it just belittles the people who actually strived to earn it.Im not slamming Elvis for getting it either.He was probably the only guy who could pull it off.
    Jak

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    Did you ever stop and think IF Elvis was to have ever went "undercover" no one could have said one thing about it.
    Yes, I did implied that on my first post a.k.a. thread starter if you read it:

[QUOTE=Raised on Rock;173089]
    Seems to me that he never did anything to take him seriously about his statments on those letters, or it was that secret?
    [QUOTE]

Anyhow, the we donīt know what he did cause its undercover, yes, it could be, sure why not, mmm... but seriously?
    Last edited by Raised on Rock; 01-04-2008 at 11:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    The real question is why did Nixon give him the badge with such ease?
    Desperation?

I absolutely think Elvis was sincere in his motives.Im not quite sure how rational he was however.
    I follow you all the way. If he really wanted to do something about the issues he adressed in those letters, there were other ways in which he could have been more helpful and had much more impact than asking for this badge and meeting, an event that was seen for many as nothing more than a bizarre event.

I mean many men and women work very hard at their careers to achieve that posistion.Elvis just walks up and requests that badge with not having earned the right to do so.That's the farce for me.He didnt deserve that badge and shouldnt have gotten it.In no way had he paid his dues or earned it.He was just tliving out his fantasy role playing.To me it just belittles the people who actually strived to earn it.Im not slamming Elvis for getting it either.He was probably the only guy who could pull it off.
    Jak
    Plus, after he got it, what did he did to justify the whole thing?

Now, some people here are gonna hate me for this, but:

If Elvis Presley was probalby the only guy in America that was able to pull off something like the Nixon/Narcotics Badge event, all right Elvis, you probed you got the power man, now, why didnīt you came with somehting like that on getting better movie scrips in Hollywood, a better career image direction to RCA executives, or anyother aspect of your carreer that suposedly make you unhappy?

Well maybe Hollywood and the record industry is powerful than the White House.
    Last edited by Raised on Rock; 01-04-2008 at 11:06 PM.

You're right Getlo, truly a fascinating event, no doubt. Most people, ( especially male celebrities ), when meeting the president, are usually conservative in their attire, usually wearing a suit, not our boy! Frickin dressed to the nines, and looking every bit like Elvis Presley should, only he could pull it off.

"Plus, after he got it, what did he did to justify the whole thing?

If Elvis Presley was probalby the only guy in America that was able to pull off something like the Nixon/Narcotics Badge event, all right Elvis, you probed you got the power man, now, why didnīt you came with somehting like that on getting better movie scrips in Hollywood, a better career image direction to RCA executives, or anyother aspect of your carreer that suposedly make you unhappy?

Well maybe Hollywood and the record industry is powerful than the White House."

One of the best observations ever.I have said over and over.Elvis could have done anything he wanted.He wanted that badge and he made it happen.His motives for getting it were selfish and personal if you get right down to it.That badge did two things for him.The first is it became his crown jewel of his badge collection.The second thing was that it enabled him to carry a firearm wherever he went.That was the biggie for him.
    Jak

I'm not sure what anyone wanted Elvis to do.

How in the world would any of us "know" what he did or didn't do to help in the way he said he wanted ? Every bit of that kind of investigation is kept "off the record" ; especially in naming names of anyone involved in exposing known criminals.
    Why do you think no DEA , CIA or FBI agent is ever named?
    {I'm not saying he ever participated in anything like that.}
    Just that if he did his name would never be made public.
    "I have learned never to ridicule any man's opinion, however strange it may seem."

"Plus, after he got it, what did he did to justify the whole thing?

Well maybe Hollywood and the record industry is powerful than the White House."

One of the best observations ever.I have said over and over.Elvis could have done anything he wanted.He wanted that badge and he made it happen.His motives for getting it were selfish and personal if you get right down to it.That badge did two things for him.The first is it became his crown jewel of his badge collection.The second thing was that it enabled him to carry a firearm wherever he went.That was the biggie for him.
    Jak
    Jak, some good points made, but I would read Jerry Schilling's interview, he sheds some light on this, and would know because he was not only their at the time, but was involved in the entertainment business as well, so he knows his stuff. I for one never realized just how much power the Colonel had with not only Elvis, but with the bigwigs as well!

Obviously Elvis wasnt performing the duties of an actual agent.Let's say for the sake of arguement he was actually performing "official" duties as an agent.If that was the case you dont get youre badge by going to the president and making a circus out of it.The guys that actually earn that badge dont broadcast the fact.Anybody as high profile as Elvis wouldnt want people to know he was an official agent.That whole scenrio of Elvis actually being an agent is hilarious.Elvis Presley a federaL drug enforcement agent?Anybody ever hear of the fox guarding the henhouse?The whole event was Elvis just playing supercop.Nothing more.It's good to be the king.
    Jak

"Why do you think no DEA , CIA or FBI agent is ever named?"

Exactly.The reason Elvis showed his new badge to everyone that he could was it was merely a trophy.He was just like a kid with a new toy.

"Why do you think no DEA , CIA or FBI agent is ever named?"

Exactly.The reason Elvis showed his new badge to everyone that he could was it was merely a trophy.He was just like a kid with a new toy.
    That's certainly true. He must have showed it to Sammy Davis jr, because didn't Sammy ask Nixon for a badge in 71, but was refused?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Car View Post
    That's certainly true. He must have showed it to Sammy Davis jr, because didn't Sammy ask Nixon for a badge in 71, but was refused?
    I've never heard that about Sammy.I would be curious to know what his reasons were for wanting one.Elvis was just a law enforcement enthusiast so i do understand why he wanted it.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Car View Post
    Jak, some good points made, but I would read Jerry Schilling's interview, he sheds some light on this, and would know because he was not only their at the time, but was involved in the entertainment business as well, so he knows his stuff. I for one never realized just how much power the Colonel had with not only Elvis, but with the bigwigs as well!
    I did read that interview with Jerry.Very interesting.I have always liked him.I always remember one thing with him though.He is intricately tied up with EPE.Never expect him to really to cause any waves when discussing Elvis.He always portrays Elvis in a positive light.Im not saying that as a negative either.He's very respectfull of Elvis.I just dont look to him as giving a completely unbiased acount of events.He always covers for Elvis.
    Jak

That whole scenrio of Elvis actually being an agent is hilarious.Elvis Presley a federaL drug enforcement agent?Anybody ever hear of the fox guarding the henhouse?The whole event was Elvis just playing supercop.Nothing more.It's good to be the king.
    Jak
    LOLOL Thatīs one of the reasons I like Elvis so much.

Me too Donut. No one else could have pulled that off the way he did and by gosh I think it deserves to go down in history.

Diane

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast