Thread: August 1969 Rehearsal Tape

August 1969 Rehearsal Tape

I have posted this elsewhere, though I feel this little gem needs its own thread...........the recording by Felton of Elvis' August 21 rehearsal at the International would have to be one of the most overlooked 'lost' recordings.
    Why is this not discussed????......one can only imagine what is on that tape (if it still exists).
    For those who doubt this rehearsal was committed to multi-track then this excerpt from the Ersnt/Guralnick book Day By Day, may go some way to alleviating any doubt,

August 21 - Felton Jarvis tests recording equipment during both an afternoon rehearsal and the other dinner show for taping of the midnight show. These will be the first recordings of Elvis performing with his new stage band.
    One would think that for Ernst to mention this recording he has either heard the tape or read a reference to it in a recording log. Has anyone read any other reference to this tape?

Quote Originally Posted by Kris P View Post
    I have posted this elsewhere, though I feel this little gem needs its own thread...........the recording by Felton of Elvis' August 21 rehearsal at the International would have to be one of the most overlooked 'lost' recordings.
    Why is this not discussed????......one can only imagine what is on that tape (if it still exists).
    For those who doubt this rehearsal was committed to multi-track then this excerpt from the Ersnt/Guralnick book Day By Day, may go some way to alleviating any doubt,

One would think that for Ernst to mention this recording he has either heard the tape or read a reference to it in a recording log. Has anyone read any other reference to this tape?
    Great thread, I have always wondered about how come now tape of Elvis rehearsals in '69 both in July and latter on in Aug have never surfaced, well maybe because there are none can be said, as almost all Presley material has already been released by RCA/BMG, FTD or the beloved Bootlegs.

It reads TEST recording equipment, means that the tapes could have been used later so... a pitty if thatīs the case, and chances are thatīs about it.

I have also wondered why any photographs of the July '69 rehearsals have ever surfaced, anyone has a clue?

Quote Originally Posted by Raised on Rock View Post
    It reads TEST recording equipment, means that the tapes could have been used later so... a pitty if thatīs the case, and chances are thatīs about it.
    Yeah, I see what you mean, ROR, though I would have to say Feltone must have rolled some tape in order to properly test the equipment.
    Also, how does Ernst know the test was carried out, without either having heard the tape or eyeballed a recording log?

Just because it's mentioned in Day By Day doesn't mean it's true ...

After all, this is the book that says of the two Aloha shows: "Thus the repertoire for each show is identical".
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post

After all, this is the book that says of the two Aloha shows: "Thus the repertoire for each show is identical".
    Of course, though unlike the Aloha over site, this is a completely unheard recording 'session', to date.
    Why would Ernst or Guralnick (most likely Ernst) include such an account without any factual evidence?

Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post

Well the 2 shows are not identical(but take out the medley "Long Tall Sall /Whole Lot of Shaking"-then it is the same repertoire, in the same order).
    I have yet to read any Elvis book which does not have some common info wrong somewhere in its covers..

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    I have yet to read any Elvis book which does not have some common info wrong somewhere in its covers..
    True...please look at the thread I started last night about the book "The Death of Elvis."