Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Being Elvis Fan TODAY.

Being Elvis Fan TODAY.

Hai folks,

Yesterday, as i went to visit my mother in law, i (accidently ) talked about me hang out on elvis forum over the internet, she suddenly gave statement like " I dont understand how come some people so obsessed with elvis, the man is dead for godsake "
    I am not thinking any better answer to that, since some people just have no idea how special our man is, and always will be.

To that ,..i put this as a discussion,...Have any of you called as being weird , odd, obssessed by someone who is close to about your loved and admiration to the king of rock n' roll Elvis Presley ?
    Feel free to post it here.

Thanks in advance ,
    Dessy
    Last edited by buttonhead; 09-04-2004 at 01:40 PM.

Unhappy

sure have but who cares.Im mentally stronger then they are so i just shove their stupid comments to one side and carry on.

a song comes to mind 'walk a mile in MY shoes'

I have been luck in the fact that my mother is a huge Elvis fan, so I grew up with his music all my life. I also have an aunt who is a fan. My aunt attended the infamous New Years Eve concert in Pittsburgh in '76 and my mother was luck enough to see Elvis live twice in the 70's.
    However I have encountered the are you crazy syndrome..my wife (who is ten years younger than I am) and her 3 daughters don't understand my Elvis addiction LOL, although the middle daughter (she is ten) says she doesn't like Elvis can tell me when and what song is playing, so there is progress.
    I just consider the source when it comes to comments about Elvis and how can I this or that about Elvis, especially consideing some of theses "so-called" artists that are popular today as John Lennon said "Before Elvis there was nothing" so if it wasn't for the man that all these people frown and make fun of, there woudn't be anything..Just my opinion
    J.C.

TCB Mafia
    yes i have. all the time. what i really hate is when someone say to me hes dead like i didnt know

Cadillac King
    In my early years as a fan I was smiled upon and told it would not last ...well 40 years later they just smile. I got to admit I am not the rabid type and I no longer get into arguments about who or what is the "best" - I listen to a lot of non Elvis music too - so to each his own.

Ever hear someone ask why do you like Beethoven( I like a few of his Symphonies - and boy did Elvis ever murder the "Moonlight Sonata" )- he's been dead for what 300 years ?

jb

Who Cares!

my wife say's the same thing to me too,(he"s dead already get over it)i only wish she could feel the joy and sorrow that i feel for elvis.she say's i got a problem and i should seek help(LOL) if putting on a cd or dvd makes me feel better about my day then SCREW HER(LOL) ELVIS IS FOREVER.

International Level
    You can compare "coming out as an Elvis fan" to "admitting you read the gossip magazines". NOBODY IS or DOES it, but EVERYBODY knows about it
    It is amazing how much people, who claim they do not like Elvis, know about him (besides the stuff they always start with "Wasn't he fat, on drugs, died on the john, hahaha" ) like song titles, or even lyrics.

I think as long as you practice your fandom with moderation, people won't think of you as weird, not even when you continue being a fan of someone long after they're dead. But because the media, like around Elvis week, often focus in on the fans who for instance try to emulate Elvis and Priscilla's looks from the sixties (while in reality they're fat middle aged, unattractive, but sincere people), that's what the general public often perceives ALL the Elvis fans to be like

I think at the 25th anniversary of his passing, the news over here for the first time showed mostly the young, the new and the more "normal" fans i.e. not the ones who go overboard in the "exterior" showing of whose fan they are. I found it refreshing and finally more accurate than what had been shown all those previous years.
    The way people tend to perceive things is usually only a response to (the excesses of) what they are shown.......

yes thats true jb , i mean if some people so addict with beethoven, bach or such, people wont be so mean to them by calling it as obsessed , but when elvis fan talk about the man, we all call as weird.

i think its down to the freaky impersonators popping up everywhere .They see weird people like these then when you tell them your a fan kinda think you actually like that kinda thing (the impersonators)

Cherokee,
    well spoken words. I think that the people who make fun of or don't understand the Elvis obsession? LOL are either living in a cave or jealous. jealous that they can never be or will never leave a mark on this world such as Elvis did and continues to do. And you are so right about the media, especially with yound people...most young people today preceive Elvis as an old fat, druggie, who died on the john because of the media and what they chose to cover and not cover..when was the last time you saw a story in the media about Elvis' generosity, or his love for his parents, friends, family, or what his true contribution to music was and is? I get a real laugh out of people who tell me about this great new song they have heard by so and so, only to find out it is an Elvis song that someone re-recorded.....just my 2 cents worth.
    J.C.

I had only my kid and husband strange looking when I showed them the rest of the candle we used during the Candlelight Vigil, and I was declared crazy when I showed them the leaf I had taken from the gravesite.

After reading everyone respons, i dont think just because we love to talk about the Elvis,doesnt mean we are obssesed, the word obssessed sounds like mentally insane,..such as you dressed up like elvis, those impersonaters or you won't marry anybody unless he looklike Elvis
    ( i heard that it happen in Australia, ) ..thanks for all the response, Cherokee,jbgude,E.L.V.I.S Aron, Elvisgirl, P.S Annie,ledart,and Elvis42.

Thumbs up

Well said buttonhead! couldnt agree more...

thank you, Aron,..

Backstage Pass
    When you tell people you are an Elvis fan they expect you to dress up in a jumpsuit in your spare time, curling your lip saying "Thankyouverymuch".

When I met one of my wife' s work mates for the first time she said "He looks too normal to be an Elvis fan" I'm stillt rying to puzzle that one out!!
    "When You Let Your Head get Too Big, It'll Break your Neck" Elvis Presley.

Coming On Strong
    There are people who overdo anything, so sometimes people think you are weird for being an Elvis fan. I feel sorry for them. I would hate not being able to appreciate the greatest entertainer that ever lived, IMHO. His music will never die.

I couldn't care less what people think of me liking Elvis.

When they have a go at him in front of me I look at them in shock horror and tell them 'That's blasphemy!'

Seriously it isn't an issue for me

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    LOL, julieann!

quinn, I totally relate to your sentiment of feeling sorry for those who just don't get it.

If it's someone you do care about, how concerned are you all about persuading them that they're the insane ones? Do you make those people CDs to try to open their eyes to what they've been missing, or just let them go on in their blissful ignorance?
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

TCB Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann
    I couldn't care less what people think of me liking Elvis.

Seriously it isn't an issue for me
    Thats certainly how it is now...and has been for many years. It wasn't when i was younger. If you were an Elvis fan they would say you were weird. He wasn't the in thing back then...BIG TIME

Sure, you had some people that would be open minded...but at school in particular i used to get into alot of trouble over Elvis.
    Bad mouthing...laughing...every day..and alot of the time i would react and be in bother again So much so that in my few years in college i didn't even tell anyone i was an Elvis fan....now how sad is that

As the years have gone by have mellowed and now couldn't care less either. In the car i will have Elvis blasting out wherever i go. I still get the looks. but now i just laugh......after all, if they can't see what they are missing...i think that they are the sad one's
    TCB Chris.

---------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by NightRider
    In the car i will have Elvis blasting out wherever i go. I still get the looks. but now i just laugh......after all, if they can't see what they are missing...i think that they are the sad one's
    well said night rider, couldnt agree more..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast