Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Geneology of Elvis

Yes,Elvis' Family Tree is very interesting.I found out though that Elvis'Grandparents(Robert(Bob)and Doll Smith were 1st cousins.My Mothers maden name was Smith,and i have cousins named Billy and Gene like Elvis but its a coincidence.I guess every fan would like to be in his family.If only to brag about.

Quote Originally Posted by MissyM View Post
    Got it, on the Smith side. I still think it's tacky and she seems to have skipped a few generations when getting in touch with her roots. Lisa annoys me at times. (I don't dislike her per say) But think about it, how much time has she spent talking about or researching what her southern people did and endured??
    You are right Missy. It doesn't matter if it's Smith or Presley, there is still lots and lots to get in touch with before venturing off to other countries.

Quote Originally Posted by john carpenter View Post
    I found out though that Elvis'Grandparents(Robert(Bob)and Doll Smith were 1st cousins.
    Are you saying that Bob and Doll were each other's 1st cousin?? That's against the law, and has been for a long time....

MissyM
    Years ago it wasn't against the law. People normally married people who lived close by. They didn't realize the genetic ramifications. When doing research you will find it is not done often but acceptable.

Years ago it wasn't against the law. People normally married people who lived close by. They didn't realize the genetic ramifications. When doing research you will find it is not done often but acceptable.
    True, Missy. I was quite surprised when my grandmother pointed that out to me. People stayed pretty much within the family, close friends etc.

Of course, they didn't haven't the different ways to get around that we do today. Even I can remember a horse pulling an "ice wagon" to deliver blocks of ice to people. Barely, and it was a very small town....but, it was neat.
    "I have learned never to ridicule any man's opinion, however strange it may seem."

Yeh, I guess that's true. Remember what hell Jerry Lee Lewis went through when he married his 13 year old cousin??

Shelby71
    What makes y’all think Lisa does not know about and embrace her southern roots? I am not trying to stir up anything. I really am just curious. I read somewhere else one of her ancestors fought in the 26th North Carolina during the War Between the States. My GGG Grandfather fought in that unit. If she doesn’t know about it she should learn. One hell of a story. I hope she isn’t one of those southerners that turns her back on her southern roots. True some of our history is embarrassing but there is also much to be proud of! The south does not have a lock on racism or any of the other problems we often get blamed for.

MissyM
    To answer your question: I guess because she doesn't talk about it and she does talk about the roots in Scotland. She even spent time in a Castle and rumor has it she may buy one. The deep south has such a rich history. So much to learn and yet I've not heard her say a word. If someone else has, I'm all ears.

I guess I am one that chooses not to even think much about Lisa or what she does or doesn't do.
    It's always captured my attention....{.for just a short while, I admit}when I was told about many long ago generations of mine.
    After the initial shock or dismay I just let it go, because I don't relate to it.

I CAN relate to what I know, growing up as a child. And, you're right.
    I remember the racism quite well and I was raised in the northern part of the US. To me, I ignored it and chose my friends ; not for the color of their skin or any religious affiliation, but how well we "connected" as people.
    Needless to say ,my grandmother from the south didn't appreciate that at all.

Oh well.....we humans can make progress if we choose .
    IMO, it's just something that's captured Lisa's attention for a minute.
    I don't think she'll be buying a castle anytime soon.
    "I have learned never to ridicule any man's opinion, however strange it may seem."

Shelby71
    To answer your question: I guess because she doesn't talk about it and she does talk about the roots in Scotland. She even spent time in a Castle and rumor has it she may buy one. The deep south has such a rich history. So much to learn and yet I've not heard her say a word. If someone else has, I'm all ears.
    I was not aware of that. That is interesting. Btw, do you consider NC part of the deep south?

MissyM
    I consider it the south. That's were husbands other side comes from. I did all the way back to the 1800's with his family. It was so interesting. The original idea was to document his grandmother's Cherokee line. Did get that but found out about a whole lot more.What the Indians went through. How they hid in the mountains Of TN and NC. About the Civil war and how it pitted brother against brother. How the progress of cities happens. There is so much if you just look. Tupelo itself has an interesting history in itself.

Shelby71
    Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    Needless to say ,my grandmother from the south didn't appreciate that at all.

Oh well.....we humans can make progress if we choose .
    Why is that needless to say? Not everyone that lives in a racist society is a racist. I never heard either one of my southern grandmothers say a bad word about anyone. Totally agree on this other point. I live in a part of North Carolina that a lot people have chosen to move to. I have heard more than one of them say they have experienced/seen less racism here than they did when they lived in other areas of the country. I think it is because you can not work on your problems until you admit that you have them. IMO, a lot of Americans still consider racism a southern issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby71 View Post
    IMO, a lot of Americans still consider racism a southern issue.
    They certainly do....and that's been an unfair assumption for many many years. The North and the South still have alot of differences, they always will. But...there are jerks on both sides. I consider North Carolina to be part of the south. Have you seen the movie "Cold Mountain"? If not......see it. It shows just how bad some of the south had it during the Civil War...

MissyM
    Utmom- I loved Cold Mountain. It was such a great visual of what some of my husbands people went through. And then I have stories that his grandma told me about Tupelo. She died at 96 and had lived there most of her life. (till they all went to Memphis) So when I read stories told about Elvis, I can make a picture in my mind from all the stories Grandma told.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby71 View Post
    Why is that needless to say? Not everyone that lives in a racist society is a racist. I never heard either one of my southern grandmothers say a bad word about anyone. Totally agree on this other point. I live in a part of North Carolina that a lot people have chosen to move to. I have heard more than one of them say they have experienced/seen less racism here than they did when they lived in other areas of the country. I think it is because you can not work on your problems until you admit that you have them. IMO, a lot of Americans still consider racism a southern issue.
    I think you'd have to have known my grandmother, is what I meant.
    Her words " Where I come from, they have to walk on the other side of the street ."
    I just never understood nor accepted that concept. {My grandparents raised me BTW. } I raised my kids completely the opposite.
    Today we have quite a mixture of race, religion ,etc. in our family.

Utmom- I loved Cold Mountain. It was such a great visual of what some of my husbands people went through. And then I have stories that his grandma told me about Tupelo. She died at 96 and had lived there most of her life. (till they all went to Memphis) So when I read stories told about Elvis, I can make a picture in my mind from all the stories Grandma told.
    It's a great movie Missy...good enough that I bought it on DVD. It was a true depiction of the South during the war....not everyone lived like Scarlett O'Hara. I would love to hear some of your hubby's Grandmother.....I bet they are fascinating....

MissyM
    They are and how I wish I had recorded them! I just never knew they would be that important! Missy slaps herself upside the head.

They are and how I wish I had recorded them! I just never knew they would be that important! Missy slaps herself upside the head.
    At some point I would love to visit about that. My hubby is a History major...and we both love to sit and talk about the Civil War and the South....

I feel it's really unfair to generalize and put all blame on the south for prejudicism as I was brought up in eastern Canada and saw some of it there as well...it's everywhere but tg not as prevalent anywhere as it used to be. My husband's family are all from Texas, some are still prejudiced and some never were.

Diane

Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    I feel it's really unfair to generalize and put all blame on the south for prejudicism as I was brought up in eastern Canada and saw some of it there as well...it's everywhere but tg not as prevalent anywhere as it used to be. My husband's family are all from Texas, some are still prejudiced and some never were.

Diane
    Which part of Texas???

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast