Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Elvis was a recluse a myth?

thanks for the picture, never saw this one before.....he looks pretty good I think - from what we can see in the pic.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Trout View Post
    Sources please??

I spoke to a friend of Elvis' about this photo a while ago.I've since been in touch to ask if i can name the person beause i don't want to do it without their permission.So now i'm waiting for a reply.
    If they say yes i'll get back to you.

The picture was/is in a book...and that book was done by the person who took this picture...it"s out there in the public domain...why all the secrets...dear oh dear.

This photo was published in the Betty Page book "I Got Ya Elvis! I Got Ya!" The caption identifies April 3, 1976 as the date of the photo.

HELLO,I MUST BE GOING.

SAM...it"s been a privilege to be called your best mate.17.03.55 - 24.01.08

http://www.gould68.freeserve.co.uk/HankGarlandBio.html

Howard Hughes was a recluse, he never left his hotel room at the Desert Inn in Vegas, never for anything, was their 24/7-52 weeks a year and only spoke to his henchman, or his right-hand man. Though Elvis didn't go out to restaurants, he did venture out, not to mention the ton of concerts he performed. After doing a long tour, he would stay in room for a week or so, but I can see that, just to get away from the chaos that was the concert scene. He also went to Vail in 76, went to Hawaii in 77, and was not in hiding. He always said he was "sneaky" which was very true, he was always great at sneaking around, but keep in mind, unlike a lot of todays stars, he wouldn't tip off paparazzi to where he was going just to get publicity. The man liked his home, since day one, very seldom if ever going to a restaurant.

Quote Originally Posted by iamhekev View Post
    The picture was/is in a book...and that book was done by the person who took this picture...it"s out there in the public domain...why all the secrets...dear oh dear.

Maybe that person doesn't want their name to be said.I respect that even if others don't.As i said if they say yes i'll let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary1 View Post
    Well this photo was taken either August the 11th or 14th 1977 he was returning from visiting his mothers grave after leaving some flowers so it proves he could go out on his own
    Sorry, but this pic was taken in 1976. There is a thread about it on FECC, and it has been discussed on other forums. The woman who had it in her original book (and may have even taken the pic) got the date wrong.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Elvis certainly was reclusive, in the sense that he didn't go out to the usual parties and such.

But he wasn't a full-blown recluse in the Howard Hughes sense, no.

Except for the last six weeks, when he rarely if ever ventured from his bedroom.

I think, had he started going out more, the fans and public would've eventually become used to it, and he could have led a more normal life. But it was his choice.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

recluse
    /riklooss/

• noun a person who avoids others and lives a solitary life.
    It is ludicrous to call Elvis a recluse. The hundreds of concerts he gave disprove this theory completely.................I mean a public appearance in front of 10000+ people, month in month out!?
    Hardly the actions of a recluse.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Trout View Post
    Sources please??

As far as Elvis being a recluse the last few months of his life, I believe that's very possible because you don't see a lot of photos of Elvis prior to 8/16/77 of him out in public....
    I love that pic!

The guy was ill...deep depression...how he got out of bed to do shows is a big effort by him.

And as for the picture...as i said...its in the public domain...it"s in a book.

Nuff said.
    HELLO,I MUST BE GOING.

Quote Originally Posted by iamhekev View Post
    The guy was ill...deep depression...how he got out of bed to do shows is a big effort by him.

And as for the picture...as i said...its in the public domain...it"s in a book.

Nuff said.
    Nope, I don't think Elvis was a recluse . He WAS pretty ill by that time.
    I remember after work, I was tired of dealing with the people all day.
    It was nice to "get away from everybody" for a day or so..

I've enjoyed reading your "matter of fact" comments.
    "I have learned never to ridicule any man's opinion, however strange it may seem."

MissyM
    I'll try to explain as best as I can figure. Elvis grew up in a small town. And friends and family back then were very close knit. (lived close by too) They relied on each other heavily for companionship, a helping hand, and sense of kinship. (think of the era and the environment) As a teen Elvis was different, staying close by friends and family provided him the acceptance/security he needed. Why would he not carry that into adulthood? In many ways when fame came to him he was like a fish out of water. My husband is a shy man, but when he performs you'd never, ever know it. His balance is his family and friends. They are were he goes when the stage (and all that goes with it) becomes artificial to him.
    Yes, I believe Elvis could be social at times, and yet would always fall back on what was most comfortable for him, something he had known as an oasis his whole life. I think the more stressfull things got the more he stayed within himself and within familiar surroundings. I also think this is what he inwardly knew and embraced in order to keep him grounded. By that I mean, no going Hollywood like many celebs do. I also think that this was a man source of problems for him and Pricilla. I don't think she ever really "got it". (my opinion of course) Stress produces depression and I won't go into the old arguement of if it was clinical or situationally produced. I just feel that each of us hangs on to certain things, familiar habits when the world becomes too much at times. It is a longing to go back/relive a simpler time. Some people say Elvis never totally grew up. I wonder, perhaps if it was because returning to a likeness of what once was safe and easier, is where he had to go, to find some solace in a much bigger world that awaited him outside of Graceland.

I agree with you, Missy .As I was raised the same way.
    It was family and friends that was our support group.
    Sometimes, when we grew up, we changed friends.
    "I have learned never to ridicule any man's opinion, however strange it may seem."

Right. i've had a reply From Elvis' Friend Sandi Miller and she has told me the photo is indeed from August 1977 it was taken by a lady called Shantay Parrish. The photo along with Shantays story is in the book Behind The Image Vol2.I've also been told that she is very accurate with dates of when she took her photos.

So in the words of iamhekev.......Nuff said.
    Last edited by Gary1; 12-29-2007 at 09:10 AM.

Thank you, Gary. And, thank Sandi too. I know her from long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    Thank you, Gary. And, thank Sandi too. I know her from long ago.
    Will do i doubt that'll put an end to the question but at least it is confirmed by someone who was there as to when this photo was taken.

1976...FACT.

Nuff said.
    HELLO,I MUST BE GOING.

As i said and is also a FACT..EP NEVER rode his 2 wheel bikes in 77...he went around on his 3 wheel trike bike.

4 nuff"s...
    HELLO,I MUST BE GOING.

Oh well if you can't take the word of someone who was there then there's no point in going on.

Maybe you're both right , from the information each are privy to.
    I won't dispute either, because I wasn't there .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast