Thread: Elvis in concert

Loving elvis

Elvis in concert

What concerts do you think elvis was really excellent in and give it his best?? I can't say anything really cause l never been to any concerts, but what do you all think??

I didn't see it but I imagine his first concert in Las Vegas 1969 was magical. I'm sure he gave it his all and wish I could have seen that one.

Diane

Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    I didn't see it but I imagine his first concert in Las Vegas 1969 was magical. I'm sure he gave it his all and wish I could have seen that one.

Diane
    You are correct Diane.I dont think Elvis gave a bad show in 69 period.He was like a man posessed for that entire engagement.
    Jak

Loving elvis
    l agree diane, after the 68 comeback elvis was ready to give it all he had and more. I think he missed singing for his fans while he out making movies.

Cool

I really love that picture!!!!! Elvis alway's gave it his all, it's just that some concert's were greater than other's!!!!!

No one is on top all the time but I think Elvis gave all he had to give according to how he was feeling at the time.....we all do that, it's only human, whether it be an emotional or physical problem we're going through. I honestly don't feel he knew he was in bad trouble until it was too late....typical of addictives.

Diane

International Level SeeSeeRider777's Avatar
    My favorites are the concerts from 69-70, the MSG concerts and Aloha from Hawaii.
    "When I was a child, ladies and gentlemen, I was a dreamer. I read comic books, and I was a hero in the movie. So every dream that I ever dreamed has come true a hundred times. I learned very early in life that without a song, the day would never end; without a song, a man ain't got a friend; without a song, the road would never bend; without a song. So I keep singing a song." - Elvis Presley

Quote Originally Posted by SeeSeeRider777 View Post
    My favorites are the concerts from 69-70, the MSG concerts and Aloha from Hawaii.
    James Burton stated once that he thought the MSG shows were some of the best ever.I would have to agree with that.My wife saw him perform just a week later.He was truly magnificent during that period.
    Jak

Quote Originally Posted by jak View Post
    James Burton stated once that he thought the MSG shows were some of the best ever.I would have to agree with that.My wife saw him perform just a week later.He was truly magnificent during that period.
    Jak
    I have to agree with that. I saw him that June as well in Ft. Worth....he seemed to really be having fun with it.

Quote Originally Posted by utmom2008 View Post
    I have to agree with that. I saw him that June as well in Ft. Worth....he seemed to really be having fun with it.
    That's great.I think my wife saw him the 12th.Just a couple of days after MSG.You guys were really lucky.
    Jak

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    Jak
    I agree Jak. About all '72 shows were good or better. Especially the ones from that April tour..and of course June '72...with the MSG shows which were utterly amazing and the Chicago june 17th 1972..
    And nobody can deny his stage presence and wonderful performing frm '69. Other time periods I can think of were he was on top of his game Las Vegas August '73 comes to mind.those shows were rock solid night after night..same with the December 1975 Las Vegas engagement. But each show he ever gave has something great to offer..some better than others..thats normal, he was only human.
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

That's great.I think my wife saw him the 12th.Just a couple of days after MSG.You guys were really lucky.
    Jak
    Yes.....we were! He looked and sounded great in Vegas in August of 72 as well. That was the only time I ever saw him where he wore the white 2-piece suit with the blue silk shirt. I remember he had a really cool belt on...much like the one on "Elvis Now", it had beautiful turquoise stones on it.

Roustabouts
    Things became too routine and forced after the mid 72 shows. Every great once in a while, he'd pull one out of his rear end and knock 'em dead. There are some real gems from 74 and 76, no doubt about it.

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bhogg View Post
    There are some real gems from 74 and 76, no doubt about it.
    And '77 as well.
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

Quote Originally Posted by BradM View Post
    Other time periods I can think of were he was on top of his game Las Vegas August '73 comes to mind.those shows were rock solid night after night.
    Have to disagree on that statement. Some were good, others not so. Reviews from the time lend credence to this theory.

But overall, his best work was:

The Vegas '69 shows (all of them), the often-forgotten tour shows of September and especially November 1970; Vegas August-September 1970 of course; most - but not all - from April 1972 (Hampton Roads ES is probably the standout); MSG shows and most of the June '72 tour; Aloha (not that the show itself was all that outstanding, but because of its significance); I am fond of Vegas March-April and August 1975, although again not every show was great; and I do like Cincinnati March 21, 1976 ES (the Holding Back the Years CD gets a lot of play from me).

There are many other individual concert gems scattered over the years, but there's no other particular period or engagement that sticks out for me as being consistent or great. Yes, there are gems from almost every tour, but most of ther other shows and tours sound the same and blend into each other.

And although I have either seen or heard most of the shows from 1977 ... well, sorry, but none of them is what I would call great. Some are very good, certainly. But not great.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly