Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elvis - (Ann-Margret) For Those Who Care

TCB Mafia

Elvis - (Ann-Margret) For Those Who Care

Ann-Margret's love for Elvis is obvious.

Ann-Margret talks about the man, Elvis, she knew, for many years, in my opinion, more than most. Ann-Margret didn't have any ulterior motives, as some tragically do, only her love.

She wants people to understand, the man, whom she cherishes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRMOR8i5RMY

"I just cherish his memory, and so did my father and my mum, and my friends and ahhh, there were great times that we had, his generosity".

"I remember a time he, when I was living in an apartment with my parents, and the landlords, a Sea Captain and his wife, (they were the landlords) and Mr. Jorgenson and passed away and Mrs Jorgenson was having a birthday and a, Elvis had met her before and he said "let's go and say Happy Birthday to her" and he was just so sensitive and considerate and ahh, he knew about honour and about respecting your elders and ahh manners and being civilised".

Interviewer: "He worshipped the ground his mother walked on"

Ann-Margret: "and yes he loved his family, he loved his parents and he loved his little daughter, so much................".

Please enjoy ..............

Thanks for sharing this Kimmi
    Although I don't like Ann Margaret much (), this interview is very nice

Thanks, kimmi .

I've always liked Ann as an actress . Enjoyed her interview.
    IMO, she's respected her friendship with Elvis more than anyone else.
    Some might want "to know it all". But, some things are just none of our business.
    "I have learned never to ridicule any man's opinion, however strange it may seem."

Diane

Very beautiful, very classy lady, and no doubt that her and Elvis had a special relationship. I've loved her all of my life!

I didn't know that they were together for a whole year! I thought they were together for 3 or 4 months. But you're right Jess. Her love for Elvis is very obvious.
    Goodbye Rosanne...Your "family" in TCB will always remember you.

WHAT A CLASSY LADY ! LOL TO RUSTY..AKA ANN MARGRET!

Ann Margaret

Great interview..........i love how she respects her friendship with Elvis to this day.I think they were very much in love!!!!!!

STUNNING! I've never seen Ann-Margret discussing Elvis in video form before. There's a palpable tension in the air as she resists confronting the potency of her memories, carefully weighs up how much she should say and how she should say it and visibly resents the slightest perceived overstep.

Although I'm aware this goes back to 1994, the time doesn't really matter in the context of what I wish to say. I want to commend Charlie Rose for caring about the almost supernatural concept of the much-maligned "television interview". He is one of the only people -- not just in America, but the world -- that cares about the significance of the format and crafts interviews with taste, decency, integrity and respect.

Back to Ann-Margret.

I do not want to betray his trust even in death...

What a remarkable lady! And it's clear those aren't empty words. In fact, the "remarkable" comment applies on multiple levels. We should all wish for such great people in our lives. My respect for this lady was already sky-high, but it just shot through the stratosphere.

No, I won't get into that...

Ann-Margret's feelings for Elvis definitely run deep. Although they only spent a brief amount of time together (a year is everything and nothing), they seemed to retain a deep affection for one another; the "flower" gifting is a fundamental example. Ann-Margret also went to Elvis' funeral and there are shots of her with huge sunglasses, which always hit me -- she must have worn them to hide her tears.

This is getting very uncomfortable for me...

I honestly had to watch that video in several pieces. There's a part at the 2-3 minute mark where she's on the verge of genuinely losing it and it effected an identical response in me. This has to be one of the most powerful interviews about Elvis there's ever been. It's a million light years from the relative fluff of Priscilla on "Larry King" (pfft) or "Elvis by the Presleys" (many profound insights, but still a lot of distortion and superficiality).

Transcribing this interview doesn't do it justice. It's as much dependent on looks, pauses and vocal cadence as it is mere words. Not a lot is actually said, but not a lot needs to be said; one can feel the authenticity of Ann-Margret's love and the quality of Elvis' spirit. After just one viewing, I already think it's an ESSENTIAL interview that every Elvis fan should watch. Thank you for posting it.

Thank you for sharing! She seems to respect and care for Elvis, even when this interview was done...this makes her ok in my book
    Has she ever written a book?

Cool

Thank's alot for sharing this!!!

Thanks a lot for this clip

I have never had doubts about her real love to Elvis (in this interview we have a proof)and I'm sorry he didn't decide to stay with her

Loving elvis
    Ann would of been great but those two wouldn't of worked out and they both knew it.

Love the woman !

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Thank you for sharing! She seems to respect and care for Elvis, even when this interview was done...this makes her ok in my book
    Has she ever written a book?
    Yes, Rover she talks about Elvis with respect, which is lovely to see!

She has written a book, but I haven't read it, apparently she doesn't go into too much detail about her time with Elvis...I should get that book...

Thanks, for sharing this clip Jess!

franny

Loving elvis
    Quote Originally Posted by franny View Post
    Yes, Rover she talks about Elvis with respect, which is lovely to see!

She has written a book, but I haven't read it, apparently she doesn't go into too much detail about her time with Elvis...I should get that book...

Thanks, for sharing this clip Jess!

franny
    Here peices from her book about elvis

On meeting Elvis.....

Quote:
    We left with a good sense of each other. I realized Elvis was as shy and ill at ease meeting new people as I was. If nothing else at least we had that much in common. Later, he told me that he, too, thought that he detected a kindred soul in me - a smile, a glance. He sensed something was there, some kind of chemistry. but neither of us was the type who would've risked our sensitive egos with any remark that showed inner feelings............Our relationship was toobig a part of my life to ignoree. He had touched something deep within my psyche.

Somehow, Elvis has been distorted into the sort of giure that he feared - more myth than man. But the Elvis Aron Presley I knew was very much a young man at the peak of his creative poweres and enjoying life to the fulles. He was happy and fun. He ws also loving and good. The thing that caused him his bigges problems was the enormous fame that engulfed him, because at heart Elvis ws no saint or king but rather a kid.

On working with him in Viva Las Vegas:
    Quote:
    That day we discovered two things about each other. Once the music started, neither of us could stand still Also, we experienced music in the same way. Music ignited a fiery pent up passion inside Elvis and inside me. It was oan odd, embarrassing, funny, inspiring, and wonderful sensation. We looked at each other move and saw virtual mirror images. When Elvis thrust his pelvis, mine slammed forward too. When his shoulder dropped, I was down there with him. When he whirled, I was already on my heel.
    "Its uncanny," I said.
    He grinned.
    Whatever it was, Elvis liked it and so did I. Both of us were very shy and we hardly said anything, but everytime we began singing, we could't help but notice the similarities in the way we performed. It was like discovering a long lost relative, a soul mate.
    Not long after shooting began Elvis asked me out. First, I'm told he spent some time investigating me, doing a little intelligence work to make sure I wasn't attached to anybody.

Elvis the man....
    Quote:
    he opened up to me. Like everyone else, Elvis had dreams and desires, hopes and hurts, wants and weaknesses. He didn't reveal this vulnerable side until everyone had disappeared, until those private moments when we were alone, after darkness had blanketed the city and we'd parked somewhere up in the hills and could look down upon the sprawl of LA or up at the stars.
    People think of Elvis as having everything, but that wasn't at all true. He had a great capacity to love, and he wanted to be loved in return, but he knew the world he existed in, the life he led, as well as all the people who surrounded him, who hurt him, who wanted something from him - everyone but a few - made it virtually impossible for hime to ever feel that affection; and if he did, he didn't know whether or not to trust it.

Why they didn't stay together....
    Quote:
    His wish was that we could stay together. But of course we both knew that was impossible, and that's what was so very difficult about our relationship. Elvis and I knew he had commitments, promises to keep, and he vowed to keep his word.
    Both of us knew that now matter how much we loved each other, no matter how strong our bond, we weren't going to last. We tried not to think about it.
    Sometimes that was impossible. We talked about marriage. We were so alike, so compatible. Elvis didn't like strong, aggressive women and I posed no threat there. He, on the other hand, was strong, gentle, exciting, and protective. Just the qualities I liked. In terms of our careers there was no conflict, only respect

Regarding Elvis' sending flowers to all her opening nights:

Quote:
    For opening night, June 7, 1967, friends and fans turned out in full force.....Elvis sent a huge bouquet of lowers shaped like a guitar, something he'd do every opening night from then on. I always felt a wonderfully warm glow when I saw them.

Quote:
    Toward the end of the five week engagement, I received another compliment. Elvis, his father, and a couple of the guys came to see the show. KNowing the hassles he went through going out in public, I was really touched that he went tot the trouble. Agterward, the entourage visited the dressing room. At one point, I was by myself in front of the makeup mirror in the innermost room of the bachsgate chamber when Elvis walked inside. I turned and smiled. He shut the door. OUr eyes met and suddenly the old connection burned as brightly and strong as it had years earlier.
    Elvis complimented me on the show. Coming from him, it meant the world. I started to thank him. But Elvis interrupted. It should be the other way around he said. His smile faded and his eyes lost their playfulness and turned serious. He started thanking me for the happiness I'd given him. All of a sudden he wanted to remember the times we;d shared, how happy we'd been, an how happy he had been.
    Elvis then stepped forward and drpped to one knee. He took my hands in his. Ifelt the heat in both of our bodies. In a soft, gentle voice, weighted by seriousness, he told me exactly how he still felt about me, which I intuitively knew. but was very touched to hear.

Thank you for this, Jen.

Elvis the man....
    Quote:
    he opened up to me. Like everyone else, Elvis had dreams and desires, hopes and hurts, wants and weaknesses. He didn't reveal this vulnerable side until everyone had disappeared, until those private moments when we were alone, after darkness had blanketed the city and we'd parked somewhere up in the hills and could look down upon the sprawl of LA or up at the stars.
    People think of Elvis as having everything, but that wasn't at all true. He had a great capacity to love, and he wanted to be loved in return, but he knew the world he existed in, the life he led, as well as all the people who surrounded him, who hurt him, who wanted something from him - everyone but a few - made it virtually impossible for hime to ever feel that affection; and if he did, he didn't know whether or not to trust it.
    "I have learned never to ridicule any man's opinion, however strange it may seem."

I'm sorry but she looks like she's full of it. It could be that she's trying really hard to protect him. It might cause she's a lot older than she looks and takes her what seems like 10minutes to answer a question.

Thanks, for posting Jen! This part was sad...

franny

Both of us knew that know matter how much we loved each other, no matter how strong our bond, we weren't going to last. We tried not to think about it.

Loving elvis
    Ann is very protective of elvis and his memory.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast