Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Elvis myths

Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post
    The story of Elvis seeing a dead body as a kid (which led to his insomnia later on in life).

Anyone have any thoughts on this; is it true, do you think?
    Didn't Elvis always have insominia? I thought it was because he was worried about sleepwalking...

franny

Quote Originally Posted by franny View Post
    Didn't Elvis always have insominia? I thought it was because he was worried about sleepwalking...
    Apparently, the sleepwalking happened a few times in childhood, but there are no reports of it happening in his adult life as far as I'm aware.

As a fellow insomniac myself, I can sympathise. I can count the times I've had a full, uninterrupted 8 hour night sleep on one hand ... and I'm 40. I mean that literally too ... I've had maybe four nights of full sleep in my entire life.

Like the man himself, "I average about four or five hours a night I guess ..."

And in case you're wondering (), the longest I was ever awake and simply could not sleep was 78 hours. No, that's not a typo ... 78 hours straight in late 2004.

Good times ... !
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

International Level
    Apparently, the sleepwalking happened a few times in childhood, but there are no reports of it happening in his adult life as far as I'm aware.

As a fellow insomniac myself, I can sympathise. I can count the times I've had a full, uninterrupted 8 hour night sleep on one hand ... and I'm 40. I mean that literally too ... I've had maybe four nights of full sleep in my entire life.

And in case you're wondering (), the longest I was ever awake and simply could not sleep was 78 hours. No, that's not a typo ... 78 hours straight in late 2004.

Good times ... !

78 hours!

How long did you sleep for when you eventually did?

Quote Originally Posted by Stryx View Post
    78 hours!

How long did you sleep for when you eventually did?
    As I remember, it was about 8 or 10 hours ... of interrupted sleep of course. Still no more than five or so uninterrupted.

The big spells set in once every few weeks, and the average awake time is about 30 hours or so. That one from 2004 was the worst I ever had (I'd just changed to a night shift job, so maybe that was the cause).

And for the rest of the time: about five hours' sleep spread over the usual 8 or 9 hours timeframe each night.

But I'm used to it ... I guess. But I've never known anything different, so ...
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Quote Originally Posted by franny View Post

franny
    "Down At The End of Lonely Street" makes the suggestion that the insomnia started during the time that Vernon was away in jail.....

Here's another (more recent) myth. I warn you, it's not for the faint hearted. It's from Topix (again) ... the poster Lee, who does not have the courage to show her face here. Nor does Becky, who believes she gets picked on for her opinions and that a certain part of my body doesn't stink!

And it's a big hello to ol' Maurice, who had the hide to criticise me for looking at Topix every day (which I don't); yet, he comes here almost every day to check on what we say. Will you people ever show yourselves?

And TCB World is growing in members each day too, Maurice..

Anyway, here's Lee's rather hilarious (and more than a little paranoid) myth. She is referring to us, and the people over on FECC.

"About 50% of the people on these boards who call themselves Elvis fans are not Elvis fans at all but members of the MM, people from Priscilla's family who want Elvis' reputation to stay dirty so Priscilla can continue to play the injured little bird, and people who were jealous of Elvis when he was alive and hate him. They are "inside out" Elvis fans, truly PHONY Elvis fans. I don't think they are misguided fans, or uniformed fans, or shortsighted fans, they are people who say they are fans but they KNOW that they are not Elvis fans at all. They are out and out phonies posing as Elvis fans"

Okay, raise your hands phonies!
    Now this is too funny! We are all members of the MM and Pris's family in here......raising my hand!!

Good times ... !
    Getlo I believe Revelations and EWH both talked about them having to watch Elvis to make sure he didn't sleep walk - that he almost walked out a hotel window one night.......someone correct if I'm mistaken, but I'm pretty sure this was mentioned in both books.

Quote Originally Posted by ksimms2 View Post
    Getlo I believe Revelations and EWH both talked about them having to watch Elvis to make sure he didn't sleep walk - that he almost walked out a hotel window one night.......someone correct if I'm mistaken, but I'm pretty sure this was mentioned in both books.
    Yeah, maybe. Been ages since I read both of these.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Quote Originally Posted by ksimms2 View Post
    Yes, It's in both those books.
    "I have learned never to ridicule any man's opinion, however strange it may seem."

Good times ... !
    I have also had trouble over my 52 years sleeping-mainly from worry.
    I learned to worry at about 5 and it became a bad habit. So I can beat that 78 hours Getlo-I went 2 full weeks without sleep in 1991.
    I had a medical problem and at that time had no medical insurance (a factory I worked for had just closed and I was out of work after 16 years) I had 3 small kids and got sick --throwing up blood etc... I was sure I had cancer. I could not sleep and nothing I tried helped. Finally I just collapsed.
    Ended up at a hospital and had a nice 4 day stay. It was not cancer-it was worry and nerves. But it was the worst 2 weeks I have ever had.

Quote Originally Posted by utmom2008 View Post
    "Down At The End of Lonely Street" makes the suggestion that the insomnia started during the time that Vernon was away in jail.....
    Thank you! I haven't read that book, but I've heard of it.

franny

One myth was It wasnt Elvis but an impersonator onstage on june 26,1977.Another he slept with Gladys (a sick lie)

Okay, here's something that I've thought a lot about over the years. What are some of the things you've read or heard about Elvis that were later proven to be myths?

I've made a list below.

Now remember ... if you don't like this thread, don't post on it.

1. Elvis once shot his mother;
    2. Elvis never, ever took drugs (and he needed all of what he took!);
    3. Elvis' body weight was all water-retention;
    4. Elvis was reading a book about Jesus when he died;
    5. Elvis stayed completely faithful during his marriage, while Cilla was the one to sleep around;
    6. Elvis once said that all black people were good for was to shine his shoes;

Any others?
    Brilliant idea for a thread, so lets have em all and for once. Here is another myth:

That Ginger Alden was the last person to see Elvis alive. She wasnt. The last person to see him alive was aut Delta who brought him the last package of prescribed drugs upstairs at the backentrance of the bathroom.

Quote Originally Posted by Elvistcbkirch View Post
    Brilliant idea for a thread, so lets have em all and for once. Here is another myth:

That Ginger Alden was the last person to see Elvis alive. She wasnt. The last person to see him alive was aut Delta who brought him the last package of prescribed drugs upstairs at the backentrance of the bathroom.
    What time did she bring them to him????

Quote Originally Posted by utmom2008 View Post
    What time did she bring them to him????

I'll tjeck it up for you, Utmom. I guess i have it somewhere in my Elvis-libary, muhehe...

[QUOTE=Elvistcbkirch;175314]Brilliant idea for a thread, so lets have em all and for once. Here is another myth:

That Ginger Alden was the last person to see Elvis alive. She wasnt. The last person to see him alive was aut Delta who brought him the last package of prescribed drugs upstairs at the backentrance of the bathroom.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I'd like to see where you got that too.
    "I have learned never to ridicule any man's opinion, however strange it may seem."

Quote Originally Posted by Elvistcbkirch View Post
    I'll tjeck it up for you, Utmom. I guess i have it somewhere in my Elvis-libary, muhehe...
    OK...thanks. I would like to read that....

The "Chuck Berry" sessions from December 1973 were doing the rounds for years.

When is FTD going to release them?
    Polk A Little Sock Salad !

I'm an insomniac as well...48 hrs. straight, and 3 hrs. interrupted sleep, yeah good times! LOL
    Great thread Getlo as always!

K I don't know if this was said:

That Elvis fathered lots of kids.

I never heard about June but I did hear that he had a thing for a bit w/one of her sister's...I think I read that in Elvis What Happened.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast