Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Why was MSG not filmed?

Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post
    Hmmm ... or could it be that the lists we have of what costumes Elvis wore are inaccurate?

As for See See Rider on that DVD, let me ask you if you've considered the fact that the footage only shows one angle (light blue backing groups suits) from Detroit very briefly walking up to the mic stand, then meshes in with San Antonio (dark blue backing suits as seen in On Tour, various angles).

That raises the possibility that Detroit was only filmed with one camera, as like Buffalo. Also, the Detroit one-angle footage is dubbed with sound from San Antonio. So, if it was filmed properly by MGM, why hasn't any footage with sound surfaced over the years - like the footage from all four of the "officially filmed" shows?

The same question applies to the other shows you say were filmed, eg Jacksonville etc. Where is the footage?

For those that haven't seen what Elvislennon is talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=264q2isG1cM

Also, several other locations were filmed backstage, at hotels, in limos etc. The footage here shows Elvis backstage in Detroit (his hair has more of a fringe than when he walks on stage in what we know to be San Antonio); then it shows him walking on stage in San Antonio; then back to Detroit again briefly from one angle (with the little counter at the bottom again) then the San Antonio version of See See Rider.

So it's a distinct possibility that the same one camera in Detroit followed him to the stage and kept filming (the light blue backing suits footage). There is no evidence that Detroit was filmed properly (ie more than this one camera) by MGM - unless there is more footage from other DVDs?

And why is it that the books you are reading are any more correct than the ones I have? All of these reference books have mistakes.
    I shall be very interested when the DVD of On Tour eventually comes out, and to see what EPE puts in it.
    Good point-thats exactly why I never say never.

Whatever it is, it is not a camera from a professional crew.
    Joe Tunzi was questioned about this photo (it was in one of his books) and the camera in an interview:
    its from the same interview I posted earlier where he states there is 30 or so minutes of pro footage from MSG.

Q- In your excellent book "Elvis- Encore Performance II" on page 73 we can see a camera on the stage mounted on a tripod. Do you know if this camera could be related in some manners to the previous question on the footage filmed at the opening show at Madison Square Garden ?

JOE: I believe that camera was for security purposes so they could monitor the show. It isn't related at all to the aforementioned footage.

Quote Originally Posted by Elvislennon2004 View Post
    Fifty Books is about right which all are not Elvis. About ten are books by ABC and their history and footage they filmed over the years. These are the same books but different titles or different covers with the same title. Page 130 is Elvis MSG.
    Other books tells about concerts of different musicians, other books is about ABC company, some are on MSG itself, some are Elvis which tells about that footage. They all say the same thing. Filmed by ABC.
    My Elvis Day By Day Book came out about three years ago and goes from when Elvis first started his career to the day he died. It includes the listing of his August and September dates to about 1985 with various releases. It tells about the MSG concerts with the suits that he wore, the footage of the press conference and the footage filmed by ABC. And about the MSG site, I would say to much about what you said over on FECC. They discuss that footage over there and they all said it was filmed by ABC.
    I am also curious about this other "Day by Day" book-who published it and who are the authors? I know of only one "Day by Day" the one written by Guralnick and Jorgensen.

Quote Originally Posted by rocknroll View Post
    All this arguing over a possible 6 minutes of poor quality, no sound footage at MSG shot by ABC??? 6 frigin' minutes!?!?! I'd rather watch paint dry.
    ABC did not just record 6 minutes-it is suppose to be from the shows start to a little after "Polk Salad Annie" Heres the same question and answer with Joe Tunzi that I have now posted 3 times in the last 2 years.

Q-We know that some professional footage was done at the opening show of Madison Square Garden on June 9th 1972. Some portions of this footage has been used on different projects but always heavily edited and without Elvisí vocal. Three years ago Dateline NBC used a short sequence for the first time with the original sound of Elvis performing "Polk Salad Annie". According to the different footages partly used on different projects and/or on T.V., they have filmed at least the following: the crowd before the show starts, The Sweet Inspirations, Elvis entering the stage, Thatís All Right, Proud Mary, You Donít Have To Say You Love Me, Youíve Lost That Loviní Feeling and Polk Salad Annie. Do you know if the show was filmed from beginning to end with matching sound ? If not, do you know how much was actually filmed and who possibly owns that footage ?

JOE
    : .It sounds like you have been doing your homework. This is exactly correct. I think there may be around 30 or 40 minutes of the show with matching sound. The sound quality is not the greatest but is passable. I really canít comment on who owns it.

Quote Originally Posted by Elvislennon2004 View Post
    As for San Antonio, See See Rider seen on the DVD Through My Eyes has two camera angles in it from Detroit.
    Sorry, but that was my point as couple of posts back. These two Detroit pics could easily have been taken by the same camera - there was enough time for the cameraman to move from near the stage where Elvis walked out, to where the second pic was taken - still from the left, but farther forward.

It is possible, you have to admit that.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    I am also curious about this other "Day by Day" book-who published it and who are the authors? I know of only one "Day by Day" the one written by Guralnick and Jorgensen.
    All Shook Up (Elvis Day By Day) by Lee Cotton has become known as Day By Day. But I suppose since Guralnick's work, we should go back to calling it All Shook Up.

But someone said there were five books with this title?!
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Joe Tunzi was questioned about this photo (it was in one of his books) and the camera in an interview:
    its from the same interview I posted earlier where he states there is 30 or so minutes of pro footage from MSG.

Q- In your excellent book "Elvis- Encore Performance II" on page 73 we can see a camera on the stage mounted on a tripod. Do you know if this camera could be related in some manners to the previous question on the footage filmed at the opening show at Madison Square Garden ?

JOE: I believe that camera was for security purposes so they could monitor the show. It isn't related at all to the aforementioned footage.
    Thanks for the info, KPM.

It was just before he died I met and spoke with him

Are you sure? ( just kidding)
    [Royalties come and go....... But there is only one man we always call THE KING

Okay, so it's been said that a lot of this stuff is coming out in 2008?

Mark my words here and now ...

It is December 7th here in Australia.

I'll bet that when we come back here on December 7th, 2008 ... one full year from now ... none of this supposed footage will have seen the light of day.
    And now it's almost April, and still nothing.

ChrstianM et al ... anything yet??
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

International Level rhythmknights's Avatar

Getlo, you should get one of those ticker/countdown banners - and i'll be holding my breath right alongside - uh-oh---i'm getting lightheaded
    All I wanted was a white knight with a good heart, soft touch, fast horse
    Ride me off into the sunset Baby, I'm forever yours

Okay, so it's been said that a lot of this stuff is coming out in 2008?

Mark my words here and now ...

It is December 7th here in Australia.

I'll bet that when we come back here on December 7th, 2008 ... one full year from now ... none of this supposed footage will have seen the light of day.

So, just four months to go until December 7th ... and still no sign of all this supposedly pro footage coming out. What a surprise ... not!

I notice those people shouting and bleating about this amazing (northern) summer release of footage (... something that was going to put all us doubters in our place! ...) have been silent these past few months.

Still, I'm prepared to be surprised. If it's out there, I say bring this pro stuff ON!
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    I just hope if we ever to get a boxset of the EOT footage that we get these following shows...this would make for the ultimate set having all of these shows complete....a friggin' Christmas for jumpsuit Junkies...

1 Hampton Roads
    2 Greensboro
    3 Buffalo
    4 San Antonio
    5 Richmond

I guess for now until Warner decides to release the ultimate EOT dvdset then we can hope for more unseen outtakes to surface on the the bootleg markey!
    Last edited by Unchained Melody; 07-25-2008 at 09:51 PM.
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

Quote Originally Posted by Col Jon Burrows View Post
    3 Buffalo
    Buffalo was only filmed with a hand-held camera, (no sound) and not all the show was filmed anyway.

Still, if EOT ever did come out (which it won't) it would be nice if the footage was included if it still exists.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Buffalo was only filmed with a hand-held camera, (no sound) and not all the show was filmed anyway.

Still, if EOT ever did come out (which it won't) it would be nice if the footage was included if it still exists.
    I agree Getlo. I like to be on the optimistic side and think at some point it will get the treatment it deserves...times a tickin' though.

And it definitley would be nice to have the footage from Buffalo!!
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

Found this on the net:

Elvis started this tour very well in Buffalo and 'magic' in this show is Elvis's mesmerizing performance of 'UNTIL IT'S TIME FOR YOU TO GO' video footage of this show shows Elvis looking fine in his light blue jumpsuit. This is the show where Pierre Adidge looked on as a woman ran down the aisle at the stage like a missile! ending up in the drums just missing Elvis!. Elvis on tour sure holds a lot of excitement!.

Buffalo, NY, April 5, 1972
    Abel and Adidge interviewed Elvis in a 2 hour recorded interview and Elvis's voice over during 'ON TOUR' (until id-72 still under the working title of 'STANDING ROOM ONLY' - of which RCA had also gone so far to do a 'mock up' album cover! for the Jan/Feb engagement recordings not now released) Elvis's voice DOES give 'ON TOUR' that PERSONNEL touch! mainly however in 1972 Elvis LOVED Las Vegas - would you believe THREE MONTHS spent there by Elvis in 1972 alone-incredible, just about his 2nd home

Many more shows were filmed than we will probably fully known, some are incomplete shows only and some just silent film, some were just photographed such as the much published Jacksonville 16.4.72 A/S photos on the cover RCA Madison Square Garden L.P. and the Aloha from Hawaii L.P. covers. However it is well documented that Elvis 'ON TOUR' is made up from the following shows.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5.4.72 Buffalo light blue jumpsuit
    9.4.72 E/S Hampton Roads light blue jumpsuit
    10.4.72 Richmond Red jumpsuit
    14.4.72 Greensboro dark blue jumpsuit
    18.4.72 San Antonio white jumpsuit

Elvis's voice DOES give 'ON TOUR' that PERSONNEL touch!
    Personal touch ...

However it is well documented that Elvis 'ON TOUR' is made up from the following shows.
    Incorrectly documented. The only stuff from Buffalo in EOT and This Is Elvis is from Abel's hand-held camera.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Found this on the net:

Elvis started this tour very well in Buffalo and 'magic' in this show is Elvis's mesmerizing performance of 'UNTIL IT'S TIME FOR YOU TO GO' video footage of this show shows Elvis looking fine in his light blue jumpsuit. This is the show where Pierre Adidge looked on as a woman ran down the aisle at the stage like a missile! ending up in the drums just missing Elvis!. Elvis on tour sure holds a lot of excitement!.

Buffalo, NY, April 5, 1972
    Abel and Adidge interviewed Elvis in a 2 hour recorded interview and Elvis's voice over during 'ON TOUR' (until id-72 still under the working title of 'STANDING ROOM ONLY' - of which RCA had also gone so far to do a 'mock up' album cover! for the Jan/Feb engagement recordings not now released) Elvis's voice DOES give 'ON TOUR' that PERSONNEL touch! mainly however in 1972 Elvis LOVED Las Vegas - would you believe THREE MONTHS spent there by Elvis in 1972 alone-incredible, just about his 2nd home

Many more shows were filmed than we will probably fully known, some are incomplete shows only and some just silent film, some were just photographed such as the much published Jacksonville 16.4.72 A/S photos on the cover RCA Madison Square Garden L.P. and the Aloha from Hawaii L.P. covers. However it is well documented that Elvis 'ON TOUR' is made up from the following shows.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the post Ken...thats five concerts right there we could have...

International Level thehillbillycat's Avatar

Buffalo was not seen in Elvis On Tour but in This Is Elvis.

It is also been pointed out by several fans that Elvis On Tour is made up by several more dates here and there like:

April 12, 1972 - Indianapolis (only a few seconds is seen in Elvis On Tour. The scene is right before I Got A Woman when Elvis is on stage. John pants leg is white and this was the only date that the band members wore white while Elvis wore that jumpsuit.)

[I]Personal [/I]touch ...

Incorrectly documented. The only stuff from Buffalo in EOT and This Is Elvis is from Abel's hand-held camera.
    A simple spelling mistake for which I apologise if it offended you

Incorrectly documented. The only stuff from Buffalo in EOT and This Is Elvis is from Abel's hand-held camera.[/QUOTE]
    Once again Abel is a professional film maker and he recorded the show-so if the show was filmed by him IMO it was professinally filmed and I would love to see it. If it was only a Sony handheld camera-fine.
    Also according to the IMBD movie site here is the locations where most of the filming was done:
    Filming locations for
    Elvis on Tour (1972)
    advertisement photos board trailer details

Buffalo, New York, USA

Greensboro, North Carolina, USA

Hampton Roads, Virginia, USA

Jacksonville, Florida, USA

Richmond, Virginia, USA

San Antonio, Texas, USA
    Last edited by KPM; 07-30-2008 at 12:54 PM.